OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 10:27:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Policy re-write  (Read 4639 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: June 16, 2004, 10:52:54 PM »

Rest assured, OCnet posters.  Wink  We are writing a very comprehensive policy for this folder and are redoing some things.  The peace will return...even if it is an enforced peace  Cool

In all seriousness though, if you have any suggestions send them to Mor Ephrem since he is the moderator of this forum.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
mourad

Mia, not mono!

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 11:02:05 PM »

prayers!
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2004, 07:38:34 PM »

Can't wait!

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2004, 08:04:01 PM »

Can't wait!

Me either.

If it's fair, then great.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2004, 03:32:20 AM »

Me either.

If it's fair, then great.

I totally agree, I hope and pray that it is fair, and I eagerly await the new policy!

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2004, 03:42:36 AM »

Will the rules apply to this folder only?

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2004, 03:43:47 AM »

and I too repeat the hopes for  a fair set of rules, not that I am worried with the administration staff we have here.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2004, 03:48:10 AM »

Joe, odd place for you to be posting, since you haven't really been mixed up in the problems with this forum. I wonder if you are just trying to post where ever you can, for the fear of me bumping you down to number 10 is so great? Wink

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2004, 04:47:11 AM »

nah I seriously want to know, as it is likely that a uniform term shall be determined for the NOn-Chalcedonians in this new policy update.  That term is quite possibly, IMO, going to be "Oriental Orthodox*" a term which I cannot in good conscience use as it leads to great confusion among inquirers who don't know the difference.  I wanted to know if that will apply to other folders as well or just specifically this folder.  

*Don't get me wrong.  I like Subdeacon Peter and Mor Ephrem and think they are good people, as I am sure most other non-chals are.  But it is confusing to the inquirer to have both Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox, especially as in some languages "Oriental" and "Easter" translate back to the same word--for instance Latin.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 04:50:41 AM »

also I see such as the possible begining of a slippery slope in which we will be forced to callnot only the non-chals Orthodox, but the Nestorians as wel, and the vagantes, and the "Orthodox Presbyterians" etc.  Really there is no end.  These people may use the name Orthodox in their legally incorporated name but for us to call them Orthodox is to validate that characteristic within those communions.  And then we are telling inquirers its ok to be in the "OPC" or the "Inclusive Orthodox Church" or "HOCHNA" just as well as ROCOR, OCA, GOA, ACROD etc.

Joe Zollars

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 05:04:04 AM »

You make good points Joe, but the OO and EO are very close, and union is clearly in the near future. Both sides have made many numerous agreements, and intercommunion is not uncomon. It is only more traditional groups, like ROCOR, that are taking a more anti-ecumenism stance on the issue.

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2004, 07:31:37 AM »

I know it's taking a little longer than anticipated, but I can say the ordeal will be fixed shortly.

In the mean time, just sit tight, I promise it'll be a fair plan for everyone.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2004, 07:33:40 AM »

Yes Joe, the rules will only apply to this folder.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2004, 08:58:59 AM »

Also, specifically with regard to the issue of what to call Oriental Orthodox, while we administrators regard them as Orthodox, we've never forced anyone to recognise them as Orthodox.  Hence, "Non-Chalcedonian" has always been an option for such people.  

This works in the other direction as well.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2004, 05:45:02 PM »

I personally think it should just be called Oriental Orthodox, it best reflects the significant progress being made between the the two sides, and the opinions of the majority of Bishops on both sides.

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2004, 06:59:10 PM »

The new policy will be unveiled on Thursday, so that I have enough time to join my brother admins and mods in answering any questions about the new policy.  Until then I am "in and out" of commission.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2004, 07:22:20 PM »

wainting for new policy, and Ben I will not discuss your points further simply to say, I disagree.  This is not the time and place for lengthy disucssions on such matters.

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2004, 07:25:53 PM »

Thursday...I can't wait. And Joe perhaps we could discuss such matters on IM.

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2004, 08:18:57 PM »

I personally think it should just be called Oriental Orthodox, it best reflects the significant progress being made between the the two sides, and the opinions of the majority of Bishops on both sides.

Ben, I like you; I really do. However this is at least the second, if not the third time, I've seen this "majority of bishops" statement or phrase used on these boards recently. I am bemused. At last check, we Orthodox don't even know how many bishops we have exactly, much less any polling data on this or any other issue to constitute or support a "majority" opinion.

And ROCOR, I assure you, is not the only church which is taking a conservative approach here.

Demetri
« Last Edit: June 23, 2004, 02:40:43 AM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004, 08:30:07 PM »

lol...I am gald you like me Smiley

I am sorry if my statment was too general, its just the feeling I get from reading all of the comon agreements and declarations between the two sides and from what I am hearing form those much more educated in this area than I am.

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2004, 01:24:01 AM »

those of us who disagree with the impending union between some EOx and the NonChals do not feel a need to declare our position as all we are doing is repeating centuries upon centuries of Orthodox statements.  Thus it is those who wish to push the union who feel a need to continuously put forth their positions.

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2004, 01:28:32 AM »

I dunno Joe, Linus seems quite vocal about his opinions on the matter.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2004, 01:31:49 AM »

those of us who disagree with the impending union between some EOx and the NonChals do not feel a need to declare our position as all we are doing is repeating centuries upon centuries of Orthodox statements.  Thus it is those who wish to push the union who feel a need to continuously put forth their positions.

Joe Zollars

Impending union?  I think you're a little presumptuous.  I don't think anyone here is strongly pushing a union - just that several think that the EO and OO are farther apart than others think.  Patience my friend.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2004, 01:53:01 AM »

believe me I did not say impending union to say that I want such to happen.  

Yes Linus is vocal in his opinions on the matter and God Bless him for it!  but my point was that the most who disagree with it generally don't talk about it much.  

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2004, 02:12:34 AM »

but my point was that the most who disagree with it generally don't talk about it much.  

Unfortunately, that does seem to be the case.

Tags: Chalcedon policy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: