OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 29, 2014, 12:13:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Southern Baptists Vote To Leave World Alliance  (Read 3518 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 16, 2004, 10:12:22 AM »

Southern Baptists Vote To Leave World Alliance

By Alan Cooperman
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, June 16, 2004; Page A02

The Southern Baptist Convention voted yesterday to pull out of the Baptist World Alliance, accusing the worldwide organization of a drift toward liberalism that included growing tolerance of homosexuality, support for women in the clergy and "anti-American" pronouncements.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A44658-2004Jun15.html
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2004, 10:51:35 AM »

I'm pretty much baptist in name only at this point, since I reject "OSAS", the pretrib rapture, Sola Scriptura, and the symbolic-only view of Baptism and Lord's Supper.  However, I still respect the SBC's stand against the encroaching apostasy in Christendom which passes for "liberalism".

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
spartacus
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2004, 11:35:12 AM »

Aren't Baptists really an American denomination with a heavy presence mostly in the conservative South? I know a woman who was born in India who immigrated with help from baptisit missionaries....but where do Baptists have a worldwide presence?

And what is with this beleif in being baptised more than once ...where does that come from?
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2004, 11:41:22 AM »

And what is with this beleif in being baptised more than once ...where does that come from?

Huh? Where did you read that?
Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2004, 12:23:02 PM »

Baptists will re-baptize those who were baptized as infants  because they consider believers' baptism by immersion to be the only valid baptism.

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »

Baptists will re-baptize those who were baptized as infants  because they consider believers' baptism by immersion to be the only valid baptism.

And they are correct in that.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2004, 12:32:21 PM »

Tom,

I hope you mean that baptism by immersion is the only valid baptism and not that infant baptism is invald.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2004, 12:44:34 PM »

Tom,

I hope you mean that baptism by immersion is the only valid baptism and not that infant baptism is invald.

Yes.

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2004, 01:22:47 PM »

I'm pretty much baptist in name only at this point, since I reject "OSAS", the pretrib rapture, Sola Scriptura, and the symbolic-only view of Baptism and Lord's Supper.  However, I still respect the SBC's stand against the encroaching apostasy in Christendom which passes for "liberalism".

I agree with your respect for what the Southern Baptists have done.

Good for them.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Rho
Running from dead works to Christ.

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2004, 10:59:11 AM »

FYI:  I attend a SoBap church, and we view the baptism question this way.  
Any baptism that is outside the correct method - Trinitarian, by immersion, with full knowledge that it is symbolic and not for salvation (salvation being already gained), not infant - will mostly be judged as invalid.  
So to them (us) it's not being re-baptised but simply being baptised.  
Just don't ask me what happens when a person who was baptised SoBap, converts at, say, age 21 to EOC, and then comes *back* to SoBap 7 years later.  Don't know about that one (of course, we all know that would *never* happen Wink ).

I am also thankful for the SBC's stand against liberalism - it's the most powerful American Christian group left standing against it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 11:00:12 AM by Rho » Logged

"I have taken my good deeds and my bad deeds and thrown them together in a heap. Then I have fled from both of them to Christ, and in Him I have peace." --David Dickson

Matthew 9:13 - Who is the sinner if not I?
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2004, 11:34:57 AM »

woo-hoo for the SBC!  

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2004, 12:37:54 PM »

weird.
you all make as if the Southern Baptists are a Legitimate "Church".

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2004, 01:11:13 PM »

nah, but this is certainly a step in the right direction for them.

Joe Zollars
once a SB

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2004, 04:34:51 PM »

I am also thankful for the SBC's stand against liberalism - it's the most powerful American Christian group left standing against it.  

Yea, along with the RC Bishops who ussually get targeted by the liberal media much more than the baptist.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »

because at least the SBCers aren't being hypocrites.  just joking there.

Actually, my theory is that since Catholics pretty much voted solidly democrat prior to the abortion issue and homosexual marriage issue, it is looked on as odd when they stand with us on the Right.  SBCers have voted rightwing since the democrats were the right wing party and probably will continue voting right wing until Jesus comes back again.  IOW:  "The SBC is opposing homosexual parades at DisneyLand?  big woop! wheres the story line?"

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2004, 06:11:45 PM »

Thus endeth my discussion of american poltics.  BTW Nacho, who said that Islam quote?

Joe Zollars

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2004, 07:13:24 PM »

Actually, my theory is that since Catholics pretty much voted solidly democrat prior to the abortion issue and homosexual marriage issue, it is looked on as odd when they stand with us on the Right.  SBCers have voted rightwing since the democrats were the right wing party and probably will continue voting right wing until Jesus comes back again.  IOW:  "The SBC is opposing homosexual parades at DisneyLand?  big woop! wheres the story line?"

I think many Catholics used to be that way, but they are coming into the Republican Party by the boat loads now due to the Democrats swift turn to the far left. They are opening thier eyes and seeing what's really going on. Catholic.com, which has the most popular and well known RC online forum & community recently did a poll between Bush & Kerry & guess what??? It was 85% for Bush & 5% for Kerry. So, I think we are seeing a substantial shift in american politics.  

Thus endeth my discussion of american poltics.  BTW Nacho, who said that Islam quote?
You know, I'm not sure. I saw it somewhere awhile back, but I forgot where it came from.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: