OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 03:24:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: new member intro...  (Read 1915 times) Average Rating: 0
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« on: June 09, 2004, 03:20:50 AM »

Hi all...my name is David, I'm 43, live in VA. I have been lurking this board fo ra couple of weeks now, gettting the feel of it.
I'm currently Episcopalian, interested in Eastern liturgy and spirituality. I'm also interested in monasticism and the desert fathers; I thought learning more about Eastern Christianity might  help me understand the ancient fathers. Don't be surprised if I bug y'all to death w/ questions Huh!

Proverbs 22:7
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2004, 03:54:03 AM »

Greetings and many welcomes to the forum!

You will find many here who were/are in your shoes I am sure.  

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Columcille

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004, 05:25:06 AM »

Welcome to the board David, from a former Episcopalian. Bring on the questions!

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004, 06:56:13 AM »

Welcome indeed, from a former Plymouth Brother.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2004, 07:08:32 AM »

Hi all...my name is David, I'm 43, live in VA. I have been lurking this board fo ra couple of weeks now, gettting the feel of it.
I'm currently Episcopalian, interested in Eastern liturgy and spirituality. I'm also interested in monasticism and the desert fathers; I thought learning more about Eastern Christianity might  help me understand the ancient fathers. Don't be surprised if I bug y'all to death w/ questions Huh!

Welcome, Crucifer.

Beware of the answers you obtain here. You might be better off learning about Eastern Christianity through books.

One would be wise to double check and verify any information he gets on this or any other web site.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2004, 08:04:53 AM »

Welcome, Crucifer.

Beware of the answers you obtain here. You might be better off learning about Eastern Christianity through books.

One would be wise to double check and verify any information he gets on this or any other web site.

Good advice..I am reading The Orthodox Way (Kallistos Ware) and have visited a local Orthodox church- also feel that seeing how Orthodox actaully worship and live thier lives is as important as reading books and info from websites. Wink

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004, 12:29:16 PM »

I am reading The Orthodox Way (Kallistos Ware) and have visited a local Orthodox church- also feel that seeing how Orthodox actaully worship and live thier lives is as important as reading books and info from websites. Wink

EXCELLENT attitude; I think the best way, bar none, to learn about eastern spirituality is to attend services.  Also, I really like Way by HG Bp KALLISTOS.  It was the book that, more than any other, caused me to realize I needed to take the Church's claims seriously.

How do you like it so far?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2004, 12:30:01 PM by Pedro » Logged

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
gregory2
Elder

Most Holy Theotokos, Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004, 04:47:02 PM »

welcome!  hope that the some of the discussions here don't scare you away from orthodoxy.  the arguments get heated up sometimes  Smiley

where in Virginia are you?

"Anything that is worth accomplishing cannot be accomplished in a lifetime." - the Holy Fathers
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2004, 06:25:22 PM »

welcome!  hope that the some of the discussions here don't scare you away from orthodoxy.  the arguments get heated up sometimes  :)where in Virginia are you?

Richmond, and no heated discussions don't scare me so long as they remain civil Kiss

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2004, 04:33:41 AM »

Richmond, and no heated discussions don't scare me so long as they remain civil Kiss
Welcome, Crucifier
Richmond---excellent. We've other members here who worship in Richmond; perhaps you folks will meet up soon.

As to 'heated discussions' - good attitude; you'll have fun here.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: