OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 12:35:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A nightmare for Mr. Zollars  (Read 5791 times) Average Rating: 0
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« on: May 18, 2004, 10:35:42 AM »

While looking for an article in the Post about a court case in Illinois, I came across this little nugget about an Abraham Lincoln Theme Park in his adopted home state, complete with a 305 foot tall (that's as tall as Miss Liberty, folks!) statue of the former President.

And here's the kicker...the "visionary" is from South Carolina.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2004, 11:21:09 AM »

LOL!
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2004, 11:30:16 AM »

I wonder if instead of Carowinds, they will name the amusement park Carpetbaggers.  Smiley

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
countrymouse
cyberklutz

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »

oooooooohhhhhh noooooooooo! LOL, oh!  Don't you wonder what Lincoln would think of this?!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2004, 01:35:23 PM »

LOL... poor Mr. Zollars

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2004, 05:34:37 PM »

I am just so saddened I can hardly speak.  I wonder if he will come back from the dead to make us bow down to him.

Seceed from Illinois!

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2004, 09:43:49 AM »

So do you want a theme park for Jefferson Davis?

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2004, 10:01:06 AM »

Honey, we already have it, although not as touristy as that place in Illinois sounds like it will be.  We like to keep such things sedate and somber--it is after all a memorial.

BTW, when will people realize he was a Kentucky-an not a Illinoiser.

Joe Zollars
Forget Mt. Rushmore, lets go to Stone Mountain!

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2004, 10:30:46 AM »

BTW, when will people realize he was a Kentucky-an not a Illinoiser.

I think people who know anything about Lincoln know he was born in Kentucky, but he made his home in Illinois and adopted it as his home state.  By your line of thinking, my mother should say she's a Virginian (born in Alexandria), even though she spent most of her childhood in Germany and all but two years of her adult life in Pennsylvania.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2004, 12:39:32 PM »

why would you not want to claim to be a Virginian? Wink

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2004, 12:58:43 PM »

Because being a Pennsylvanian is far better. Smiley

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2004, 01:02:41 PM »

Ugh.  Blasphemy!  Tongue

Joe Zollars

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2004, 01:05:23 PM »

Well, Alexandria isn't really Virginia, anyway.  Fairfax County, Arlington and Alexandria aren't really Virginia, even though they are technically so, they're a place called "Northern Virginia".  The Virginia Welcome Center on I-66 isn't until you reach Prince William County (for those who don't live in DC, that's the third Virginia county on the hiway).

B
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2004, 01:54:00 PM »

Are there any monuments or parks around for my favorite Civil War general, William T. Sherman? Smiley

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2004, 02:13:09 PM »

So I guess by that logic I can say that I'm a Californian, even though we moved when I was about 1 to Boston, then for 18 years I lived in Upstate NY... ok, I guess... & yeah, Northern VA is just DC suburbia pretty much, you have to go out past Centerville on 66 (I don't really know any of the other roads around here) to start feeling the South.  Unfortunately, with no car, I've been unable to explore farther than that Sad

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2004, 02:14:02 PM »

Well, Alexandria isn't really Virginia, anyway.  Fairfax County, Arlington and Alexandria aren't really Virginia, even though they are technically so, they're a place called "Northern Virginia".  The Virginia Welcome Center on I-66 isn't until you reach Prince William County

I wholeheartedly agree.  The South no longer begins at the Mason-Dixon line.  It doesn't even begin at the Potomac anymore.  It begins at the James.

Although Joe is probably pitching a fit because Robert E. Lee's house was, of course, in Arlington.

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2004, 02:15:59 PM »

Ah irony of ironies, you can see the Lincoln Memorial from Gen. Lee's house.  They are literally right across the bridge (I think it's Memorial Bridge) from each other.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 02:16:57 PM by ania » Logged

Brendan03
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2004, 02:42:43 PM »

Ah irony of ironies, you can see the Lincoln Memorial from Gen. Lee's house.  They are literally right across the bridge (I think it's Memorial Bridge) from each other.  

Oh I know.  The other ironic thing is that Lee's main army for much of the war was the "Army of Northern Virginia", LOL.  Seems really incongruous today.

B
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2004, 02:54:23 PM »

Actually, from time to time, if you hit the right pubs, you will hear/see the real natives of Fairfax, Arlington, etc.  I actually live right next to a neighborhood that is still full of true southernors, who have the twang and the ya'll.  They don't mix much in the Trader Joe's or Tysons Corner though.  You find them in the little diners, mom & pop shops, and convinience stores.  Everyone else is pretty much transplants (much like myself).

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2004, 04:02:17 PM »

Are there any monuments or parks around for my favorite Civil War general, William T. Sherman? Smiley

Sure there is.  Go to the Cemetary and you will see all the monuments his work deserves. :'(

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2004, 04:03:03 PM »

Well, Alexandria isn't really Virginia, anyway.  Fairfax County, Arlington and Alexandria aren't really Virginia, even though they are technically so, they're a place called "Northern Virginia".  The Virginia Welcome Center on I-66 isn't until you reach Prince William County (for those who don't live in DC, that's the third Virginia county on the hiway).

Alright! them thar's fighten' words.  Deo Vindice Resurgam!

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2004, 04:05:48 PM »

Oh I know.  The other ironic thing is that Lee's main army for much of the war was the "Army of Northern Virginia", LOL.  Seems really incongruous today.

The Army of Northern VA was not only Lee's Army but was the Mainstay of the Confederate Military Force.  As for his house, if he were alive today, i think Lee woudl move!

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2004, 04:06:49 PM »

Of course you are talking to the man who when last in DC made it a point to visit the Lincoln Memorial--to spit upon it.

Joe Zollars

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2004, 04:09:11 PM »

Of course you are talking to the man who when last in DC made it a point to visit the Lincoln Memorial--to spit upon it.

I'll have to remember to do that next time I visit the Nathan Bedford Forrest statue in Nashville.

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2004, 04:15:25 PM »

When I took my brother to see the monuments a few weeks ago, he didn't spit on the Lincoln, but he did go around saying in a very loud voice around the Washington Monument & Jefferson Memorial how it was all a temple for Masonic creeps...  thank goodness it was night & raining out, and not many people around.  Otherwise I'm sure we woulda gotten jumped.

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2004, 04:16:25 PM »

Oh, and then he was going on about something about FDR actually being pro-communist...  the boy needs to learn some selfrestraint.

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2004, 04:19:10 PM »

LOL Grin Grin

Here's a REBEL YELL for you Mr. Zollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2004, 04:24:51 PM »

now no one gets to yell--unless I can join in!

Ania, you have a very courageous brother if he is always so willing to speak the truth. Tongue

Joe Zollars

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2004, 04:50:52 PM »

He is... unless the topic is his homework & if he did it... oh, and where the whiskey that was in the cabinet went... 16 year olds, & their quirks <<sigh>>
Ok, anyway, off to vigil.  Happy Vosniseniya everybody!

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2004, 06:31:34 PM »

LOL Grin Grin

Here's a REBEL YELL for you Mr. Zollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, I thought you were supposed to be a patriot!

Kinda reminds me of the latest Simpsons where Bart moons the flag and the Rich Texan character yells "Get him! He mooned the flag my grand-daddy rebelled against!"

I always thought that was ironic.  Maybe you southerners could explain that dynamic to me.  Y'all seem so patriotic, but also harbor ideas of breaking up the Union.  What gives?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 06:35:30 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

"According to the Orthodox Faith, the teachings and traditions one upholds and believes in will necessarily influence and inform one's spiritual orientation and the way one worships..." - Harry Boosalis
Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2004, 06:37:27 PM »

Sure there is.  Go to the Cemetary and you will see all the monuments his work deserves. :'(

Joe Zollars

I still like him.  Thanks to him, the Gullah people have their islands (nice place to visit).  Too bad they couldn't keep all the rice plantations he originally gave them.  Not speaking about the average southerner, but the rich slave-holders have no moral authority to judge him.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:48:08 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2004, 07:23:32 PM »

no they don't, but my people didn't own slaves etc.  And lets face facts, the vast majority of people who suffered though his wrath were not slaveholders.  Some were even slaves themselves.  

I agree, he is the perfect yankee general.  The Raping, pillaging and killing proove it.  All at the order of Lincoln.  Oh lets build a memorial to him because he freed the slaves.  Mallosovich was tried for war crimes for the exact same thing.

Joe Zollars

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2004, 08:37:23 PM »

no they don't, but my people didn't own slaves etc.  And lets face facts, the vast majority of people who suffered though his wrath were not slaveholders.  Some were even slaves themselves.  

I agree, he is the perfect yankee general.  The Raping, pillaging and killing proove it.  All at the order of Lincoln.  Oh lets build a memorial to him because he freed the slaves.  Mallosovich was tried for war crimes for the exact same thing.

Joe Zollars

Well Joe, you can't expect me to be a fan of the South.  Not only am a partially of African descent, but I am also a proud Yankee who loves the Northeast.  I am as proud of my ancestors who served in the Union Army and helped to crush the Confederates as I am proud of my Grandfathers who served in WWII and Korea, my relatives who served in 'Nam, and my relatives who are currently serving in Iraq.  If I lived back then, I'd either have on a blue uniform, or be hanging alongside John Brown (another hero of mine).  God bless America.  May all her enemies, foreign or domestic, know defeat. As the national anthem says:  "...And if conquer we must, when our cause it is just, let this be our motto, in God is our trust!".

BTW, I understand the points about the North being hypocritical b/c by and large, they were racist too.  Anyone who believes in white supremacy is on my enemies list.  But no hard feelings on my part.  I realize you don't think this way, but the problem I have with most pro-Confederate people is that they are the same folks who were against civil rights.  These kinds of racists become the poster-children associated with "Southern Pride" so they give the rest of y'all a bad name.  But I don't lump you in with them.  You are entitled to your regional pride, and I hope you feel that we Yankees are too.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2004, 08:47:15 PM by Antonious Nikolas » Logged

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2004, 09:07:08 PM »

Ania, your brother is a political genius.  I also sympathize about the homework, I'm only failing two classes currently.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2004, 10:10:46 PM »

Well, I for one am proud to stand next to such greats as HK Edgerton.  I also have stood next to my shair of African and Native American descdents at SCV and LoS meetings.  

Something I have frequently seen at these meetings as well are signs that say "No Kluxors."  The point is, the people you mention are by and large not real southrons but are either yankee wannabee transplants or descendents of carpet baggers or descendents of more recent immigrants.  Such people by and large do not represent our feelings as a region or as a movement.  I would also point out that such people are also hyped up quite a bit by the media.  IF things were so bad in the south, than why do so many families of African descent continue to move to the south everyyear.  

My big beef with the way the war turned out is this.  We are no longer living in "The United States" but rather a new nation/empire that came into existance in 1865.  Seriously a "State" is a sovreign nation by definition and may or may not be dependent upon another organization for defense etc.  Prior to the war, when people talked of the US they said "They" now we say "it."  if you created a poll here for us residents, how many would say that their national identity is American?  (assuming they don't answer russian greek etc.) But from me and many in the southron movement you would get a different answer.  My nation is not America.  My nation is Arkansas and therefore I am proud to call myself an Arkansawyer and will do so until the day I die.  In fact my will already reads I am to be buried in that sweet Arkansas soil or if that is not available buried at sea.  Lord knows I don't want this body touching yankee soil, even in death.

"gotta burn my boots!  They've touched yankee soil."  Elmer Fudd

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2004, 10:11:50 PM »

Ania, your brother is a political genius.  I also sympathize about the homework, I'm only failing two classes currently.  

Woo-hoo!  is one of those choir by any chance? Wink

Antonious Nikolas
Archon

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2004, 10:28:39 PM »

Do your thing Joe! And if you ever need help driving out the Kluxors, let me know!

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2004, 07:46:59 PM »

They don't mix much in the Trader Joe's or Tysons Corner though.

I like to think we mixed well with the natives at Trader Joe's.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2004, 07:49:57 PM »

No Joe, Physics and history are my two classes that aren't going so well.  I have an A in choir.... Tongue
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2004, 09:44:30 PM »

Nektarios, how can you fail history?!  (ah so I see you must have gone with the sock). Tongue

My senior year of HS, I got a C in physics--and that only after a final and 100 bucks (folks I'm not kidding).  I had a solid D and wouldn't have failed, but I think my 3.78 GPA was worth every penny of that 100.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2004, 09:46:45 PM »

Do your thing Joe! And if you ever need help driving out the Kluxors, let me know!

Ok! let me get my gun.  

Joe Zollars

theodore

« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2004, 10:20:44 PM »

As a matter of fact, yes.  There's a monument to MY favorite Civil War leader, General Sheridan, right off Sheridan Road in Lincoln Park in Chicago.  (Now ducking for cover) :smarty:
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2004, 10:29:19 PM »

that's it! I'm comin' to get you Theodore. Wink Tongue

he said Sherman (aka Sherman's pillage to the sea) not Sheridan.

Joe Zollars

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2004, 10:48:08 PM »

My problem in history is that I haven't turned in a single bit of homework and we have had no tests.  Normally I ace all the tests which makes up for me not doing the busy work stuff and my grade is a B or C which I am happy with.  But this no test bussiness is slaughtering my GPA.  I think I can talk my way into a D in physics thouh and will get an A on the final in history so maybe if I am lucky I can score a pair of Ds out of this....nice to set high goals.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2004, 10:49:37 PM »

talk with the teacher.  He might be willing to work with you, particularly if you did up a nice research paper on a historical subject.

Joe Zollars

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: