OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 11:46:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's Your Faith?  (Read 10097 times) Average Rating: 0
Andreas

OC.net

« on: May 16, 2004, 02:12:26 AM »

I notice that this board has lots of people of different religions, and jurisdictions. So just for fun I thought I would make a poll. Wink

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2004, 02:21:40 AM »

I voted ROCOR, but strongly feel that I should have also been able to vote Eastern ORthodox as that is what ROCOR is, no more no less.  the ROCOR is generally recognized as a canonical church.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2004, 02:24:18 AM »

I know, but you're among brothers. If this one on non-Orthodox site than of course you should just vote Eastern Orthodox. But since this in an Orthodox site, I felt it would be better to know the little details. Wink

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2004, 02:24:38 AM »

I notice that this board has lots of people of different religions, and jurisdictions. So just for fun I thought I would make a poll. Wink

"ROCOR and Churches of that nature" as a different category from Eastern Orthodoxy. Hmm....

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2004, 02:25:19 AM »

I know, but you're among brothers. If this one on non-Orthodox site than of course you should just vote Eastern Orthodox. But since this in an Orthodox site, I felt it would be better to know the little details. Wink

So I'd be lumped in with someone who votes HOCNA or Milan Synod, huh?  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2004, 02:26:13 AM »

Sorry. Cheesy

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2004, 02:28:00 AM »

so why not ask if soemone is OCA, GOA etc.?

When you say "ROCOR and other such churches"  it is probable that groups such as HOCNA, GOC, and R**C will count themselves among that group and I certainly don't like being counted with them.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 02:30:27 AM »

sorry Peter brought that up before I did.  Sorry for the double bringing up of the issue.

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 02:31:08 AM »

Joe why did you vote ROCOR? Aren't you still a catechumen?

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 02:31:10 AM »

Don't blame, blame http://www.euphrosynoscafe.com/forum/ I tell you it was them that made me think like this.  Shocked

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 02:36:09 AM »

yes Ben but I am a Catechumen in ROCOR and will be Baptized in ROCOR.  My ROCOR affiliation is very much well known as well.  Also, there was no option given for "Catechumens" or "those preparing to switch."

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 02:42:03 AM by JoeZollars » Logged

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 02:40:30 AM »

the online representation, particularly at places like the cafe, are hardly representative in my experience of the feelings of members of ROCOR  or of Orthodoxy for that matter.  Such places are places of extremism, not of Orthodoxy.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 02:45:07 AM »

also where are the AWRV supposed to vote?

sorry to keep attackign your poll, just curious.

Joe Zollars

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 02:45:53 AM »

the online representation, particularly at places like the cafe, are hardly representative in my experience of the feelings of members of ROCOR  or of Orthodoxy for that matter.  Such places are places of extremism, not of Orthodoxy.

Joe Zollars

But a lot of the folks there are ROCOR. For example, most ROCOR sites I check out are more extreme than any other Orthodox Church sites. And many seem to distance themself from other Orthodox Churches. Hence why they got their own spot on my poll. Smiley With that said, I wish I knew of an English speaking ROCOR Church close to me. I would be there in a second!

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 02:47:34 AM »

also where are the AWRV supposed to vote?

sorry to keep attackign your poll, just curious.

Joe Zollars

NP. Tongue

Sorry, but I really don't even know what they are?

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2004, 02:48:41 AM »

thus the problem with internet in general.  yes ROCOR can be said to be more traditional than other Juris.  But the internet draws out all sorts of crazies, in all groups including ROCOR.  

JoeZollars

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2004, 02:49:56 AM »

thus the problem with internet in general.  yes ROCOR can be said to be more traditional than other Juris.  But the internet draws out all sorts of crazies, in all groups including ROCOR.  

JoeZollars

I guess. Cheesy

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2004, 02:50:02 AM »

AWRV=Antiochian Western Rite Vicariate (http://www.westernorthodox.com).

They are under the Antiochians but can't rightly be described as Eastern Orthodox.

Joe Zollars

Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2004, 02:52:31 AM »

They are under the Antiochians but can't rightly be described as Eastern Orthodox.

Joe Zollars

I guess they will have to check other in my poll. I can't say I have really ever given them much thought. Embarrassed

-Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2004, 03:04:15 AM »

that's ok. I was just wondering. there probably aren't any who post here, or if they do they don't post very often.

Joe Zollars

Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2004, 03:10:44 AM »

Joe Zollars

Well, if they can rightly be described as Eastern Orthodox, then there would be no need to include "AWRV" in the poll, they would have just voted Eastern Orthodox.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 03:15:04 AM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2004, 03:18:18 AM »

umm reread my post.  I said they "can't" be rightly described as *eastern* ORthodox.

Joe Zollars

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2004, 09:00:01 AM »

JoeZollars

So true, Joe. Wink
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2004, 09:02:15 AM »

Hey, look at all of us folk. Smiley

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2004, 09:14:27 AM »

Joe Zollars

So you have your UNIA also.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2004, 09:14:53 AM »

I was just wondering. there probably aren't any [AWRV folks] who post here, or if they do they don't post very often.

I actually am a member of St Barbara's OCA mission here in Ft. Worth, but am somewhat regularly involved w/St. Peter's, the AWRV church just a few miles away.  You're right; they'd probably want a "Western Orthodox" category.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2004, 09:15:25 AM »

JoeZollars

You don't say. Smiley

Why do most orthodox don't like Rocor?
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2004, 09:16:25 AM »

I actually am a member of St Barbara's OCA mission here in Ft. Worth, but am somewhat regularly involved w/St. Peter's, the AWRV church just a few miles away.  You're right; they'd probably want a "Western Orthodox" category.

May I ask... How in the world did you end up orthodox?
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2004, 11:23:24 AM »

That is true. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong simply because they are traditionalists. I mean, lately this board has embraced ecumenism at a level that I sometime feel goes too far.

Let's face the truth; Liberalism is not a part of Orthodoxy. It is simply a consequence of our weakness and selfishness.

We need places like the cafe to sometimes remind us of how Orthodoxy was/is traditionally practiced.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2004, 11:30:35 AM by Tom+ú » Logged
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2004, 11:31:54 AM »

That is true. But that doesn't necessarily mean that they are wrong simply because they are traditionalists. I mean, lately this board has embraced ecumenism at a level that I sometime feel goes too far.

Let's face the truth; Liberalism is not a part of Orthodoxy. It is simply a consequence of our weakness and selfishness.

We need places like the cafe to sometimes remind us of how Orthodoxy was/is traditionally practiced.

why should or orthodoxy or catholicism be hijack by  elements that are contrary to christ.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2004, 11:49:17 AM »

why should or orthodoxy or catholicism be hijack by  elements that are contrary to christ.

If you are saying that the cafe promotes things that are contrary to the Church, then I think that you neeed to go read more of the history. It is not one of liberalism.

That being said, I am not saying that some posters at the cafe are not judgemental or unforgiving of others weaknesses, they are. But that is the weakness of the specific poster -- not the board.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2004, 12:32:55 PM »

Where has this forum embraced ecumenism?

If you mean that it is acting as it describes itself - as a discussion forum - then it seems to me that discussion is taking place. Sometimes. That's all. If you could find some aspect of my/your Christology which is different to yours/mine and that we were skating over then that would false ecumenism. But talking isn't false ecumenism.

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2004, 12:42:04 PM »

If you are saying that the cafe promotes things that are contrary to the Church, then I think that you neeed to go read more of the history. It is not one of liberalism.

That being said, I am not saying that some posters at the cafe are not judgemental or unforgiving of others weaknesses, they are. But that is the weakness of the specific poster -- not the board.

there are those that are extremist and dangerous. They are within orthodoxy and catholicism.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2004, 12:43:26 PM »

Where has this forum embraced ecumenism?

If you mean that it is acting as it describes itself - as a discussion forum - then it seems to me that discussion is taking place. Sometimes. That's all. If you could find some aspect of my/your Christology which is different to yours/mine and that we were skating over then that would false ecumenism. But talking isn't false ecumenism.

that is a form of extremism. talking is consider dangerous.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2004, 12:48:49 PM »

Are you joking?

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2004, 12:51:42 PM »

Are you joking?

Is this addressed to me?

Let me explain if it is:   Extremist believe that any form of dialouge is dangerous.

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2004, 01:10:02 PM »

I know extremists think that, but your post came over as saying that it was indeed extremist to talk in your opinion?

Or are you an extremist? Smiley

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2004, 01:17:49 PM »

I know extremists think that, but your post came over as saying that it was indeed extremist to talk in your opinion?

Or are you an extremist? Smiley

I know... it is my english. I am not a native speaker. I am learning english.

I agree with everything you said in respect to extremism.
Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2004, 01:22:04 PM »

Your English is coming on very well. Congratulations.

What is your native language?

Peter

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2004, 01:32:35 PM »

Tom, I agree we need a place to see Orthodoxy in its "pure" or "traditional" form.  We do have such places. They are called Monastaries.  The internet is not a good place to learn about Orthodoxy, particularly places like the Cafe which put forth a schismatic agenda.  I cannot begin to ennumerate the people who have been driven away from Orthodoxy by the doctrine of hate espoused by such people.  

You know me.  YOu know I would sooner die than be on the new calander and stalwartly refuse to attend services in any church with pews, etc.  But a line has to be drawn somewhere.  How many of hte mods at the Cafe are Orthodox?  to my knowledge only one, and even that is douptful.

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2004, 01:38:46 PM »

So you have your UNIA also.

well it is nothing like the unia of the Roman Church.  These folks are almost all former Anglicans and Vagantes who have converted.  They came about after the ECUSA started ordaining women.  A nice site to get some background on the AWRV is http://www.westernorthodox.com

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2004, 01:40:22 PM »

You don't say. Smiley

Why do most orthodox don't like Rocor?

what do you mean by this?

I have never met any Orthodox person that didn't like ROCOR or would deny that ROCOR is Orthodox.

Joe Zollars

Father Peter
Archon

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2004, 01:46:08 PM »

Well I like ROCOR if my opinion matters, and my best priest friend is a ROCOR priest.

But I have come across plenty of folk over the last 10 years or so who don't like ROCOR and even deny that it is Orthodox.

Sad but true.

Peter

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2004, 01:48:35 PM »

Tom, I agree we need a place to see Orthodoxy in its "pure" or "traditional" form.  We do have such places. They are called Monastaries.  The internet is not a good place to learn about Orthodoxy....

I agree with you. As I said in my post, I am not defending any specific posters over at the cafe.

I guess I am assuming that those who visit internet boards do not just rely on one site for their knowledge. And also realize that the opinions espoused are personal, and therefore tainted by the ignorance of the specific individual.

The key is to not let someone else (who is just as much a sinner as you) define you. Only God's judgement matters.
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2004, 02:38:21 PM »

well it is nothing like the unia of the Roman Church.  These folks are almost all former Anglicans and Vagantes who have converted.  They came about after the ECUSA started ordaining women.  A nice site to get some background on the AWRV is http://www.westernorthodox.com

Joe Zollars

I have read the site and it is a way to get western christians into orthodoxy. making palatable for them ( westerns) by letting them keep the common prayer book plus some orthodox additions. keep reading the site.

and you say that there is no double standard. it is crystal clear.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: