OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 12:00:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I reading too much into this?  (Read 4151 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: May 10, 2004, 01:33:26 PM »

Saturday evening Niki and I went to a Greek festival being held at a church in DC. Along with the many vendors selling Greek trinkits, CD's, art, and icons, there was a West Indian vendor selling scarves and other such items decorated with various Hindu gods. In the middle of the table was a big statue of the sitting Buddha.

I was just so taken aback by this, but the parishoners of the Church did not seem to be bothered by it.  Huh

What do y'all think?
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2004, 01:58:36 PM »

I was thinking about going to that after liturgy at St. John's ROCOR across the street, but ended up opting to go home to take a nap instead. I think I woulda been disturbed by the sight of a Buddha at an Ortho event, definately.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2004, 02:05:45 PM »

that is certainly weird.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »

Ooh, no good.

What was the reasoning behind that, TomΣ?

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2004, 05:22:46 PM »

Saturday evening Niki and I went to a Greek festival being held at a church in DC. Along with the many vendors selling Greek trinkits, CD's, art, and icons, there was a West Indian vendor selling scarves and other such items decorated with various Hindu gods. In the middle of the table was a big statue of the sitting Buddha.

I was just so taken aback by this, but the parishoners of the Church did not seem to be bothered by it.  Huh

What do y'all think?

why is that a concern? They are trying to make a buck by selling different kinds of merchandize.  In Astoria Queens, New York, I  have seen greek vendors selling statues of ancient greek gods and goddess?
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2004, 05:34:30 PM »

why is that a concern? They are trying to make a buck by selling different kinds of merchandize.  In Astoria Queens, New York, I  have seen greek vendors selling statues of ancient greek gods and goddess?

Right.  GREEK vendors selling ancient GREEK gods and goddesses.  The differences being the following:

1. There was some sort of cultural connection between seller and what was sold.  Greek festival and Hindu gods, though?  Yeesh.

2. This was done, it seems, under the auspices of the Church, which is incompatible with these false deities.

Strange on the first count, inappropriate (at best) on the second.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2004, 05:58:18 PM »

Tom,

I don't think you're reading too much into it at all.  Would St. Paul approve of idols being sold at a Church event?  We have become too PC nowadays to say it, but Buddhists, Hindus, Animists, etc., are pagans and idolators.  Buddha at a Church sponsored event is wrong and, IMHO, so are statues of Zeus & Co. (Cultural connection or not.  Maybe at a Greek cultural event, but not a Church event.  I like the Iliad as much as the next guy, but c'mon fellas... Wink).

“Nothing is better than to realize one’s weakness and ignorance and nothing is worse than not to be aware of them.” - St. Peter of Damascus
Andreas

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2004, 01:52:36 AM »

You should have beaten the Hindu chap to death with a copy of Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

Only kidding, everybody.  Tongue

"It's later than you think! Hasten therefore to do the work of God."
 -Fr. Seraphim (Rose)
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2004, 01:57:07 AM »

or you could have strangled him with a genuine athonite Koumbaskine (sp?). Tongue

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2004, 02:05:49 AM »

I know I am not Orthodox, but this does sound disturbing, however is was a greek cultural event, it wasn't like the statue of budddha was in the church, or anything like that. But I still find it strange.

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2004, 02:06:54 AM »

it is not part of Greek Culture though.   It is probably just satan attacking the Church.

Joe Zollars

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2004, 12:54:01 PM »

it is not part of Greek Culture though.   It is probably just satan attacking the Church.

Joe Zollars

superstitious nonsense.   Satan has begin fish to fry.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

bigger fish to fry than the Church?  please.  Satan desires nothing more than to see a Christian loose his faith and trys his darndest to get him to do so.

Joe Zollars

romanbyzantium
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2004, 02:41:31 PM »

bigger fish to fry than the Church?  please.  Satan desires nothing more than to see a Christian loose his faith and trys his darndest to get him to do so.

Joe Zollars

I was refering to the greek church. He is busy going after the entire church... not only the greek church.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

of course he is.  And he is also going after the Greek Church.

Joe Zollars

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ ΣΟΥΜΕΛΑ

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2004, 11:43:16 AM »

What I wonder at, TomΣ, my friend, is that you, in particular, did NOT say something! Such reticence on your part is unusual.
I know I would have said something Smiley Smiley Smiley

Demetri
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 11:44:13 AM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2004, 05:57:39 PM »

What I wonder at, TomΣ, my friend, is that you, in particular, did NOT say something! Such reticence on your part is unusual.
I know I would have said something Smiley Smiley Smiley

Demetri

I did say something. I brought it up to people I know who I saw at the festival and at choir practice last Thursday I brought it up and no one else said that they saw it?  Huh They acted surprised, but no one else admitted that it was there.  All they said was that it was the responsibility of the head of the Festival committee to check out the vendors.

How could they all not have seen it? I did. My wife did. My in-laws did. I don't understand it. It's like they don't want to make waves.

The Priest's wife was at the icon booth across the way and I said "Hi" to Father walking around a few minutes before I saw the vendor.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2004, 06:00:05 PM by Tom+ú » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: