OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:20:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Location for OC.net summerfest 04...  (Read 7865 times) Average Rating: 0
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2004, 05:18:49 PM »

Ania,

I opened the log cabin up for all, but I'd enjoy travelling as well, you can sign me up for "I'll go anywhere"  Smiley

Kim

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2004, 05:24:49 PM »

I would just like to point out that PittsburgH has an H at the end. Smiley

Thank you.

Also, I'm game for Pittsburgh, too.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 05:25:32 PM by Schultz » Logged

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2004, 05:27:34 PM »

I selfishly vote for D.C. because of the children.  Traveling with a junior entourage gets very complicated.  

I'm not so sure about camping.  I remember that Mor does not like 6-legged wildlife.  

Now, Joe. You mean that you'd even want the GH's to go to services with all of you?  Grin

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2004, 05:51:05 PM »

I assume by GH that you mean General Heretics, which I say sure.  Heck fire, there's bound to be a river  somewhere we can even baptize y'all.  Wink Tongue Grin

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 05:51:40 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2004, 05:53:25 PM »

Ebor, foist the kids off on Ania and then just drive up with you and the Mr.  Let Ania bring the kids.  

Joe Zollars
« Last Edit: April 28, 2004, 06:26:02 PM by JoeZollars » Logged

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2004, 06:59:43 PM »

GH is "Graceless Heretics"(tm)... I'm not sure who started that phrase but it's stuck as a joke.  

Thank you for the offer of a river baptism...I'm not sure if the Potomac, the Ohio or the Allegheny are, shall we say, ideal.  Don't want to give the baptisands water-bourn illness, or knocked out by floating branches or pulled by an undertow.... sets the wrong tone for the occaision.   Cheesy  ('sides, I still reckon that I was thoroughly baptized nearly 48 years ago... sorry.  Smiley )

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2004, 07:02:50 PM »

I just looked up and saw that NY is in the lead... Can't baptise in the East River or the Hudson, you might dissolve...  8-)

Ebor

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2004, 07:09:05 PM »

quick everyone throw your vote for Pitt.  I really don't want to go to NY. Wink

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2004, 07:17:16 PM »

Ah I see now.  Don't worry Ebor, I wouldn't want to be Baptized in any of those rivers anyway.  Besides it was just a joke.

Joe Zolars

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2004, 07:23:04 PM »

I know, Joe.  Just joshing back at you.

Ebor

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2004, 07:36:04 PM »

yeah I kinda figured that.

Joe Zollars

David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2004, 11:41:00 PM »

How in the world did NYC get in the lead?  It costs $8 to sneeze in NYC.

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2004, 12:10:40 AM »

NYC is not going to be the place summerfest is held. TOOOOOO expensive, Bobby realized.  We will let you all know what's going on soon as right now we can't talk about it as Bobby and I are overly busy.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Bogoliubtsy
Archon

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2004, 01:10:55 AM »

NYC is not going to be the place summerfest is held. TOOOOOO expensive, Bobby realized.  We will let you all know what's going on soon as right now we can't talk about it as Bobby and I are overly busy.

anastasios

What, are we in Florida or something? Why can't our vote be heard? The people have spoken!!  Wink

"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist". - Archbishop Hélder Pessoa Câmara
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2004, 01:28:24 AM »

so, somewhat confidentially, how much will it cost for wichita to be in the lead?  Wink

Joe Zollars' somewhat less politcally honest twin

ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2004, 01:31:56 AM »

Well, seeing as I'll be off of school in the summer and my house is only about an hour from the 'Burgh, you can guess where I wouldn't mind having it held.
There's something you guys are forgetting.  If I remember correctly, Pittsburgh is a cathedral city (or whatever the term is in the East - I'm still new to this) for at least two jurisdictions: GOA (yay, Bishop MAXIMOS!) and Serbian (still not sure of the Bishop for them. I should ask one of my friends).
And thank you very much for the offer, but this catechumen does not want to be baptised in any of the Three Rivers.  Too much of a health hazard, not to mention the undertow, the random debris, the trash, the dead bodies (j/k!), and the rather large catfish.  Of course, this assumes that I would need to be baptised again.  I'm still a little iffy on that point, as in "I honestly have no clue".
Well, enough rambling.  My vote is for Pittsburgh.
And seriously.  Why is NY in the lead?  I love the city, but it is waaaaay too expensive.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2004, 01:35:24 AM »

In the name of all that is holy and St George (patron of the cathedral there) I claim all votes for new york to now apply for Wichita, KS.  Wink

Joe Zollars

JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2004, 02:01:45 AM »

The Midwest demands to be heard!

Joe Zollars' alterego rabblerouser

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2004, 08:17:24 AM »

Kansas? What the heck are we going to do out there? The highlight would have to be the buffalo chip toss contest. And here are the rules according to this site :

http://www.farmfair.org/1999/opens.htm

"Rule 20 for buffalo chip tossing contest states, 'Gloves are discouraged. Persons using gloves will be labeled ‘sissy’ and may be penalized at the discretion of the judges and subject to ridicule by the crowd and contestants.' "

Grin

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2004, 08:18:57 AM »

There's something you guys are forgetting.  If I remember correctly, Pittsburgh is a cathedral city (or whatever the term is in the East - I'm still new to this) for at least two jurisdictions: GOA (yay, Bishop MAXIMOS!) and Serbian (still not sure of the Bishop for them. I should ask one of my friends).

Dear Light from the East,

Christ is Risen!

Well, I am not forgetting that 4 Orthodox bishops reside in Pittsburgh.  They being KYRILL of the OCA, MAXIMOS of the GOA, CONSTANTINE of the UOC-EP and MITROFAN of the Serbian Church.

However, how does that impact our choice?

TonyS

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2004, 10:26:59 AM »

Kansas? What the heck are we going to do out there? The highlight would have to be the buffalo chip toss contest. And here are the rules according to this site :

http://www.farmfair.org/1999/opens.htm

"Rule 20 for buffalo chip tossing contest states, 'Gloves are discouraged. Persons using gloves will be labeled ‘sissy’ and may be penalized at the discretion of the judges and subject to ridicule by the crowd and contestants.' "

Grin

Man, that could be fun!

When I was a kid, my friends and I used to toss cow pies and horse turds at each other.

The road apples were the best. They break open upon impact, releasing a wet and smelly inner core.

Best to duck or seek cover.

Grin

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2004, 10:28:50 AM »

Gee, when I was a kid we used to shoot bottle rockets at one another.

It takes all kinds, I suppose...:-P

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #67 on: April 29, 2004, 10:31:10 AM »

Gee, when I was a kid we used to shoot bottle rockets at one another.

It takes all kinds, I suppose...:-P

Grin

We flung what we had in plentiful supply!

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #68 on: April 29, 2004, 10:34:41 AM »

I'm glad my kids aren't reading this, Linus... I don't want them to get any ideas on flinging at the moment.   Cheesy

We  did water balloons out in Montana.  The Bison were off at the National Bison Range in Moise over the mountains.

Ebor
« Last Edit: April 29, 2004, 10:36:41 AM by Ebor » Logged

Linus7
Archon

« Reply #69 on: April 29, 2004, 10:48:37 AM »

I'm glad my kids aren't reading this, Linus... I don't want them to get any ideas on flinging at the moment.   Cheesy

We  did water balloons out in Montana.  The Bison were off at the National Bison Range in Moise over the mountains.

Ebor

We also used mud from the creek and over-ripe tomatoes in the summer time.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2004, 10:57:55 AM »

Rotting tomatos & rotting apples.  :-D Closest I got to cowchips is pushing a friend of mine into some fresh cow dung as we cut across a field.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2004, 11:07:38 AM »

Well, I am not forgetting that 4 Orthodox bishops reside in Pittsburgh.  They being KYRILL of the OCA, MAXIMOS of the GOA, CONSTANTINE of the UOC-EP and MITROFAN of the Serbian Church.

However, how does that impact our choice?

Ya know, that's a really good question.  I think it was somewhere in the neigborhood of 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. when I wrote that, so coherency was not a primary concern of mine.  Regardless, my vote stands for the 'Burgh.  It's really about the only place that I have the remotest possibility of getting to on what little money I have.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2004, 12:23:07 PM »

Ya know, that's a really good question.  I think it was somewhere in the neigborhood of 1:30 or 2:00 a.m. when I wrote that, so coherency was not a primary concern of mine.  Regardless, my vote stands for the 'Burgh.  It's really about the only place that I have the remotest possibility of getting to on what little money I have.

10-4.

I'm not going to NYC, which, of course, may actually inspire some to vote for that city.

- Pope St. Hormisdas
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2004, 10:32:58 PM »

I think we've pretty much eliminated NYC and NC.  Why don't we repost this poll with the options being DC and Pitt and see how that goes?

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2004, 11:00:54 PM »

I think that's a good Idea David.

Joe Zollars

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #75 on: April 30, 2004, 09:57:05 AM »

I second the motion to re-poll.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #76 on: April 30, 2004, 07:16:22 PM »

Who said NYC?  NYC would be outrageously expensive for people to live in, eat in, etc., etc., on a daily basis, but there are suburbs.  Smiley

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2004, 08:37:11 PM »

Robert, Phil, and I are discussing the options.

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags: SummerFest 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: