OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 09:20:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this for real?  (Read 3166 times) Average Rating: 0
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« on: April 19, 2004, 12:53:44 AM »

An Orthodox bishop joining a sedevacantist group in 2002?

http://www.cmri.org/yurchik.html

Brigid of Kildare
Elder

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2004, 06:41:18 AM »

Well the slide show certainly looks real. How extraordinary. It would have been interesting to know how this Ukranian bishop came into contact with these sedevacantists.

Bríd Naomhtha, Mhuire na nGaeil, Guí Orainn
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2004, 09:03:40 AM »

Frobie,
Old news. I remember reading this early last year. Is it for real? Well, <slight shrug> it's the Ukraine  Shocked , and no surprise.
I assume that if anything important came of his 'conversion' we would have heard more about it from at least one of the many sides over there.

Demetri
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 09:39:33 AM by +æ-ü+¦-â-ä+++¦+++«-é » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2004, 09:21:55 AM »

Pardon me for saying it, but Bishop Yurchyk looks like a kid.

My wife has a lot of relatives in the Donetsk area (her mom's Ukrainian). In fact, her uncle built an Orthodox Church there.

Maybe she can find out if any of them have heard anything about this.

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2004, 09:49:27 AM »

Hi. Yes, this really happened but Bishop Yuri (Russians would use the Slavonic form for George, Georgij/-ô-¦-+-Ç-¦i-¦) wasn't an Orthodox bishop to begin with as it appears the Kyiv Patriarchate is outside the Orthodox communion. (I'd say not but some say there is some tenuous connection between this group and Constantinople - something like they're in communion with Constantinople's Ukrainians in America.) It's definitely in schism from the lawful Orthodox church in the Ukraine, the Church of Russia.

So a not-Orthodox bishop briefly became a not-Byzantine Catholic bishop, but I think recanted when he went back to the Ukraine and so may be a not-Orthodox bishop again. FWIW.

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2004, 03:35:32 PM »

So a not-Orthodox bishop briefly became a not-Byzantine Catholic bishop, but I think recanted when he went back to the Ukraine and so may be a not-Orthodox bishop again. FWIW.

I bet they kicked his @$$ when he came home.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2004, 03:40:36 PM »

Interesting comment from the site:

In embracing the Catholic Faith, Bishop Yurchyk indicated that he wished to be an instrument of the Mother of God to assist in the fulfillment of her message at Fatima — that “Russia will be converted.”

Don't let any (probably well meaning) Catholics tell you that the message about Russia at Fatima was all about the fall of communism. The demons at Fatima certainly had something else in mind!

Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2004, 03:46:21 PM »

Is Ukraine just a part of Russia?
Deacon Lance
Archon

Faith: Byzantine Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

Liturgy at Mt. St. Macrina Pilgrimage

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2004, 04:38:23 PM »

"Don't let any (probably well meaning) Catholics tell you that the message about Russia at Fatima was all about the fall of communism. The demons at Fatima certainly had something else in mind!"

And what would that be?

From the apparition of  7/13/1917:

"...I shall come to ask for the consecration of Russia to my Immaculate Heart, and the Communion of Reparation on the First Saturdays. If my requests are heeded, Russia will be converted, and there will be peace; if not, she will spread her errors throughout the world, causing wars and persecutions of the Church. The good will be martyred, the Holy Father will have much to suffer, various nations will be annihilated. In the end, my Immaculate Heart will triumph. The Holy Father will consecrate Russia to me and she will be converted, and a period of peace will be granted to the world."

http://www.theotokos.org.uk/pages/approved/appariti/fatima.html

What errors did Russia spread besides Communism?  If not Communism what else was to fall?  Pope John Paul II consecrated Russia in 1984 and in years Communism was toppled.

Fr. Deacon Lance

My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2004, 05:24:15 PM »

[Don't let any (probably well meaning) Catholics tell you that the message about Russia at Fatima was all about the fall of communism. The demons at Fatima certainly had something else in mind! ]

Nor was it about the conversion of Russia back to Holy Orthodoxy according to the RCC and individual RC's -

http://www.catholicism.org/pages/ConvRus.htm

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Ben
Unabashedly Pro-Life
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2004, 07:19:24 PM »

Interesting comment from the site:

In embracing the Catholic Faith, Bishop Yurchyk indicated that he wished to be an instrument of the Mother of God to assist in the fulfillment of her message at Fatima — that “Russia will be converted.”

Don't let any (probably well meaning) Catholics tell you that the message about Russia at Fatima was all about the fall of communism. The demons at Fatima certainly had something else in mind!

I don't me mean to be rude but I must say that you are very bold to declare with conviction that it was not the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima, but Satan and his demons.

As a Roman Catholic, I am not required to believe in the appirition of Fatima, but am encouraged to do so. At the moment, I really don't have an opinion on Fatima. I don't know if it was Mary, but if it was, I sure don't want to shurg it off as the work of demons!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2004, 07:21:34 PM by Ben » Logged

"I prefer to be accused unjustly, for then I have nothing to reproach myself with, and joyfully offer this to the good Lord. Then I humble myself at the thought that I am indeed capable of doing the thing of which I have been accused. " - Saint
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2004, 07:24:54 PM »

[Don't let any (probably well meaning) Catholics tell you that the message about Russia at Fatima was all about the fall of communism. The demons at Fatima certainly had something else in mind! ]

Nor was it about the conversion of Russia back to Holy Orthodoxy according to the RCC and individual RC's -

http://www.catholicism.org/pages/ConvRus.htm

Orthodoc

Orthodoc,

That link is by Feenyites, who are heretics and cut off from the Catholic Church.

anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: