OrthodoxChristianity.net
January 29, 2015, 02:30:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: END OF THE GREAT FAST?  (Read 2550 times) Average Rating: 0
HelenElizabeth

OC.net

« on: April 01, 2004, 09:07:17 PM »

It  is  getting Close to  the  Holy  Week.  How  to  you all  feel After  a Other Great  Lent? I  feel it  has  brought  me  closer  to God. I  also  Have  a Great  Joy.

NULL
Mor Ephrem
The Fourteenth Apostle
Section Moderator
Stratopedarches

"The grace of God has appeared..."

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2004, 09:16:30 PM »

Sadly, I didn't take advantage of these holy days as I should've.  I realised that when I flipped through a RC periodical at work today and went through the section with the liturgical texts and readings for the Masses of the Easter season.  Some were inspiring, but I realised it (Paschaltide) wouldn't be the same without the preparation I should've made during Lent.  Hopefully, I will be able to use the remaining days in a spiritually profitable way.

"...you could not bear, Master, in the compassion of your mercy to watch the human race being tyrannised by the devil, but you came and saved us. We acknowledge your grace, we proclaim your mercy, we do not conceal your benevolence..."
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2004, 10:42:12 PM »

Today, I had a big mac with special sauce and a bottle of my favorite red.

Happy April Fool's everyone.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2004, 11:25:31 PM »

Well being a schismatic RC, my fasting days are 2 per week and limited to solid foods (meats, treats etc). I felt that my medicinal use of certain beverages did not qualify.

Chow,

JB(Jim Beam or JB scotch, Just Booze, good initials have I)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2004, 11:26:53 PM by Jakub » Logged

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
neworthodox

OC.net

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004, 11:44:52 PM »

er - I had planned to be a much better person by now. So I feel  :'(
lellimore

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004, 11:58:23 PM »

Unfortunately, that makes two of us.
MsGuided
Pharmakolytria
Elder

St. Anastasia

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2004, 12:10:25 AM »

I've had a cold and some sort of bronchitis throughout all of Great Lent, so my fasting was abbreviated, and the last month and a half have been some of the most trying days i've had.  I haven't been able to do as much spiritual contemplation as i'd have liked to, but the pain/suffering/sickness has made me think "ah, I see You know how I'm feeling, and indeed You've suffered infinitely more than I have"  

I have a feeling Holy Week will be more affecting.  If only I didn't have an exam on Good Friday! Angry

"Forgive me that great love leads me to talking nonsense." Barsanuphius
PhosZoe
Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2004, 10:52:05 AM »

This is my first fast as an orthodox christian. I'm working towards fasting in the literal sense of the word. I spent nearly 40 days abstaining from dairy, junk food and TV. (I'm already a vegetarian so the meat part wasn't so difficult Grin)  I have also limited my daily jaunts on the internet to 1 hour per day. Well, I haven't been perfect and was disappointed in myself Sad  

Last weekend, I travelled with some fellow orthodox christians to http://www.dormitionmonastery.com/ This was my second trip to the monastary but my first as an Orthodox christian. It was here I had time to really reflect and pray.  I feel renewed and that I'm back on track.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 10:52:44 AM by PhosZoe » Logged
erracht
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2004, 03:48:44 AM »

Well, a bit tired, I guess. Yet wishing that maybe I had done the fasting at least a bit better...

NULL
Columcille

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 02:46:12 PM »

Actually I have had a very good Lent.  This is my first after my chrismation.  Confession early in Lent seems to have made a huge difference for me.  The fasting has been much easier this year.

"The way of God is a daily cross.  No one has ascended into heaven through an easy life."  St. Isaac of Syria
JoeZollars
OC.net guru

Pray for me an unworthy sinner

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2004, 12:36:36 AM »

I am feeling quite ill from all the Cheese and Meat I ate after Liturgy this morning. Wink

Actually this lent seemed to go faster than last lent.  I can't wait till I get Baptized and get to do the fasts as an Orthodox Christian.

Joe Zollars

These posts no longer represent my beliefs and I in no way endorse their contents.
prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2004, 04:45:09 AM »

I am feeling quite ill from all the Cheese and Meat I ate after Liturgy this morning. Wink

We've been through this before. We have since learned to ease ourselves back into the meat and dairy after Pascha Cheesy

I had no trouble fasting food wise but alas failed miserably again in restraining my passions Sad. I needed to pray a lot more than I eventually did and I suspect it is primarily because I was struggling under my own strength that I failed. I need to learn more and more to rely on God's strength.

John.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2004, 01:27:50 PM »

I also had some weak moments and failings during the Lenten Fast and it was'nt as ridgid as the Eastern Fast.

May the Lord strengthen me for the next fast, which I will attempt to fullfill the Eastern requirements.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: