OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 07:31:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are You a Geek Orthodox?  (Read 2318 times) Average Rating: 0
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« on: May 16, 2003, 10:48:22 AM »

Are You a Geek Orthodox?
by Steve Lammert

I have come to the conclusion that there really *is* more that unites us than separates us. In fact, I have decided that most of us are really part of the same jurisdiction, after all: The Geek Orthodox. So, ask yourself: Are you Geek Orthodox?

If you have searched the Web for the rules for calculating the date of Pascha, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have written a Perl script which calculates the date of Pascha, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have noted the major fast/feast days in your Palm Pilot, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have downloaded the entire Trebnik into your Palm, and made the .CSV file available to other priests via anonymous FTP, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have the telephone numbers of your priest and parish in your cell phone's memory, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If your priest has ever sent a text message to your pager via e-mail, then you are *both* Geek Orthodox.

If you read an Orthodox Discussion List from your laptop, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If the laptop runs Linux, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you're using AOL with a Microsoft operating system, you're probably not Geek Orthodox (yet).

If you have used the Web to find a parish when travelling, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you maintain a Web site for your parish or jurisdiction, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have met a priest through an Orthodox Discussion List, and later visited his parish, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have met a priest through a List, and later sought spiritual counseling from him via e-mail, then you *are* Geek Orthodox. If he answered you, and began a long correspondence, then you're *both* Geek Orthodox.

If you can recall more user ids than names of List subscribers, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever prayed for a subscriber by user id instead of name, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever started an argument on the List, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever tried to settle an argument in your parish by distributing printouts from the List, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever gotten carried away with an argument on the List, and kept on pursuing it long after everyone else is tired of it, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have set up your Mail User Agent to permanently kill-file a particular subscriber of the aforementioned type, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever mistaken the List for the Church, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever reminded someone else that the List is not the Church, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

If you have ever thought that the List might dissuade more people from Orthodoxy than it attracts, then you might be Geek Orthodox.

If you became Orthodox even after subscribing to the List for several years, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2003, 10:58:21 AM »

No I am not an Orthodox geek.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2003, 11:09:49 AM »

Thanks, Nik - this is now on my Orthodox humor page together with your 'There is no Pascha bunny' cartoon (my idea).

Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2003, 11:20:13 AM »

If you have written a Perl script which calculates the date of Pascha, then you *are* Geek Orthodox

Guilty as charged!!

If you have downloaded the entire Trebnik into your Palm, and made the .CSV file available to other priests via anonymous FTP, then you *are* Geek Orthodox.

Haven't done the Trebnik, but an abridged book of needs. When i scan my slavonic prayer books in I will post them so u can download them onto your palm pilots.

Geek Orthodox Unite!!
Bobby
David
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of the South)

Retired GM

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2003, 11:24:33 AM »

Are you sure about that now laddie?  Grin

David
member in good standing,
Geek Orthodox Archdiocese  Cool

"When looking at faults, use a mirror, not a telescope."
-Yazid Ibrahim
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2003, 11:33:29 AM »

I am totally True Geek Orthodox. Cheesy

Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2003, 11:47:31 AM »

I might be.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

In solidarity with Iraqi and Syrian Nazarenes

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2003, 12:39:28 PM »

I've been Geek Orthodox for quite some time... :cwm35:

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
sinjinsmythe
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2003, 01:08:12 PM »

Are you sure about that now laddie?  Grin

David
member in good standing,
Geek Orthodox Archdiocese  Cool

What do you mean? I guess I do spend too much time on this site. I need to get a life. I hope that God helps me.

Life is just one disappointment after another.
Linus7
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2003, 04:31:34 PM »

Finally, true catholicity!

Proud to be Geek Orthodox!  Wink

The first condition of salvation is to keep the norm of the true faith and in no way to deviate from the established doctrine of the Fathers.
- Pope St. Hormisdas
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2003, 06:33:46 PM »

Thanks, Nik - this is now on my Orthodox humor page together with your 'There is no Pascha bunny' cartoon (my idea).

Serge, I notice that the visitors to your webspace currently have no way of realizing when an update to the site is made.  One would assume your blog is the best medium to communicate such notifications.  Maybe you can start using it as a platform for those announcements.

Have you implemented some noticeable upgrades to the site lately by any chance?

In IC XC
Samer
The young fogey
Moderated
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2003, 06:52:18 PM »

Dear Samer,

Good points.

1. I assume most of my usual visitors now read my blog instead as it gets a lot of traffic every day, far more than the site. So likewise I assume that visitors to the site now have never been before.

2. There aren't big updates/upgrades to the site anymore, except what you can see on the main page - a Javascript news feed. The blog is a lot easier to take care of and everybody can access it, no problem.

3. The site will stay up as it is a handy reference library - I can refer people to specific pages through links on the blog and on boards such as this.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2003, 06:52:59 PM by Serge » Logged

Nigula Qian Zishi
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2003, 07:03:49 PM »

Christ is Risen!

Serge, I like the set-up you have using the blog as a front page of sorts with links to other parts when neccesary. I especially like the removal of the scrolling old headlines at http://www.aconservativesiteforpeace.info. Cheesy

Tags: Geek 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: