OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:51:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reception of Communion  (Read 1566 times) Average Rating: 0
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« on: August 27, 2006, 06:57:00 PM »

Hello All

I'm a bit ashamed (intellectually speaking) to bring up this topic, since bringing it up demonstrates how much I DON'T understand Christian (in particular, Orthodox) theology.  But...here goes... Smiley

When one receives communion from the hand (or spoon) of an Orthodox priest, does one receive the pre- or post- crucified body of Jesus?  If pre-crucifixion, is this a form of cannibalism?  If Orthodox theologians understand the reception to be the post-crucified body, is it taught that there is a change in Jesus's humanity after the Resurrection; therefore canceling a form of cannibalism?  As I stated many times, Christology is something I have real trouble understanding, so if in your explaination you use Christological terms (hypostasis, economy, etc.), please define them briefly if possible. 

Just something that was discussed in school, and though I've not attended Liturgy for over 8 months, I still try to correct misinterpretations of Christian (specifically Orthodox) theology (though I must say, I'm no EA, GiC, or OzGeorge; thus possibly fueling more misinterpretations, LOL).  Thanks  Cool

Shawn
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 07:24:07 PM »

Don't be ashamed, and certainly don't be impressed by me- I'm an idiot.

We are not eating dead flesh in Holy Communion, because we worship the Living God. We are followers of the Resurrected Christ, we are not marching in the funeral procession of a dead god.

"Flesh and Blood" means the same as what we mean in popular culture today when we say "Body and Soul"- ie. a real, complete Presence. That is, Christ is Present in the Gifts of the Altar in His Body, Soul, Humanity and Divinity. He is not "partially" present.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 08:03:45 PM »

I was always told that it is the resurrected body and blood of Christ of which we partake.

Nice to hear from you, Shawn!

JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Global Warming Enthusiast.

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 10:33:00 PM »

I was always told that it is the resurrected body and blood of Christ of which we partake.

This is why hot water is added to the wine to signify the "Risen Christ". 
axios

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 05:33:21 PM »

The Body of Christ does not completely change after the Resurection: were you to do a DNA test He would still be the Son of the Holy Virgin Mary.  However, He is transformed: He can appear in locked rooms, He can hide his identity until He chooses to reveal it and so on.

This is a Mystery: we do not understand how it happens: but before or after the Resurection, He is still Christ.

So, in answer to your question: we partake of the Body and Blood of Christ; we know this is true because Christ said it was, anymore we don't know and it might even be dangerous for us to speculate.

Ax
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2006, 11:18:37 PM »

Hello All

I'm a bit ashamed (intellectually speaking) to bring up this topic, since bringing it up demonstrates how much I DON'T understand Christian (in particular, Orthodox) theology.  But...here goes... Smiley

When one receives communion from the hand (or spoon) of an Orthodox priest, does one receive the pre- or post- crucified body of Jesus?  If pre-crucifixion, is this a form of cannibalism?  If Orthodox theologians understand the reception to be the post-crucified body, is it taught that there is a change in Jesus's humanity after the Resurrection; therefore canceling a form of cannibalism?  As I stated many times, Christology is something I have real trouble understanding, so if in your explaination you use Christological terms (hypostasis, economy, etc.), please define them briefly if possible. 

Just something that was discussed in school, and though I've not attended Liturgy for over 8 months, I still try to correct misinterpretations of Christian (specifically Orthodox) theology (though I must say, I'm no EA, GiC, or OzGeorge; thus possibly fueling more misinterpretations, LOL).  Thanks  Cool

Shawn

I was always taught that we are receiving the Risen Christ.  The hot water that is added to the wine signifies "Christ is Risen". 
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 04:48:54 PM »

I was always taught that we are receiving the Risen Christ.  The hot water that is added to the wine signifies "Christ is Risen". 

That's interesting! When I bless the zeon, the phrasing is "Blessed is the fervor of your saints, now and forever and to the ages of ages. Amen"

and when I pour the zeon into the chalice my phrasing is "The fervor of faith, full of the Holy Spirit. Amen"

I had always interpreted the zeon as representing the fervor of the saints, but of course there can be no such fervor without the Risen Christ.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 10:19:26 PM »

Although the flesh of Christ underwent a transformation subsequent to His Resurrection (from corrupt to incorrupt), it was Life-Giving by virtue of the Hypostatic Union rather than the Resurrection. In the priest's Last Confession chanted immediately before the distrubition of the Holy Eucharist, he confesses: "Amen, Amen, Amen. I believe, I believe, I believe and confess to the last breath, that this is the Life-Giving Body that your Only-Begotten Son, Our Lord, God and Saviour Jesus Christ, took from our Lady, the Lady of us all, the Holy Theotokos Saint Mary." At the very moment of The Word's conception in the womb of the Holy Virgin, and hence at the very moment humanity was actualised by His Hypostasis, Christ's Humanity was Life-Giving.

I'm not sure what logical connection exists between the charge of cannibalism and whether or not the Eucharist we partake of is the pre- or post- Resurrection Body and Blood of Christ--both are nonetheless physical, material bodies; the post-Resurrection Body is regarded "spiritual" by virtue of the fact it is no longer subject to weakness, corruption etc. and not because of anything to do with its ontological nature. Regardless, we understand Christ's presence to be super-natural. Cannibalism relates to consuming the natural form of human flesh and blood.

Nevertheless, as has been affirmed above, it is indeed the post-Resurrected Body of Christ that we partake of.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 10:20:04 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
JoeS
(aka StMarkEofE)
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 08:23:12 PM »

The priest pours into the chalice of consecrated wine some boiling water which represents the Risen Christ (post communion). This also why we have leavened as opposed to unleavened bread.  The leavened bread conotes the penitential (old Testament) while the leavened represents the Risen Christ, Christ conquering death by death, Christ in all His Glory.

Tags: communion cannibalism 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: