OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 11:47:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Purple Demons & Kalikantzaroi  (Read 7237 times) Average Rating: 0
Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Glory to Jesus Christ! Glory for ever!

« on: December 22, 2005, 01:45:47 PM »

In another tread there was mention of the Purple Demons and the Kalikantzaroi.  I'm assuming they are a Greek "thing".  Would any Greeks like to further explain them?  I find ethnic folk lore fascinating.
Along the same line, a Carpatho Russian priest friend referred to the discord that occurs toward the end of lenten periods as "the snakes".
CR

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 02:44:40 PM »

Here's a Wikipedia entry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kallikantzaros

Kallikantzaros (Καλλικάντζαρος) pl. Kallikantzaroi is a malevolent goblin in Greek folk tradition. They dwell underground but come to the surface from 25 December to 6 January (from the winter solstice for a fortnight during which time the sun ceases its seasonal movement).

It is believed that Kallikantzaroi stay underground sawing the World tree, so that it will collapse, along with Earth. However, when they are about to saw the final part, Christmas dawns and they are able to come to surface. They forget the Tree and come to bring trouble to mortals.

Finally, on the Epiphany (6 January), the sun starts moving again, and they must go underground again to continue their sawing. They see that during their absence the World tree has healed itself, so they must start working all over again. This happens every year.

There is no standard appearance of Kallikantzaroi, but some Greeks have imagined them with some animal parts, like hairy bodies, horse legs, or boar tusks.

There were ways people could protect themselves during the days when the Kallikantzaroi were loose. They could leave a colander on their doorstep: if a Kallikantzaros approached for his evildoings, he would instead decide to sit and count the holes until the sun rose and he was forced to hide. The Kallikantzaroi also could not count above 2, since 3 is a holy number, and by pronouncing it, they would kill themselves.

Legend has it that any child born during the twelve days of the Saturnalia (17th through 23 December) was in danger of becoming a Kallikantzaros. The antidote: Binding the baby in tresses of garlic or straw, or singeing the child's toenails.

In Greek language Kallikantzaros is also used for every short, ugly and usually mischievous being. If not used for the abovementioned creatures, it seems to express the collective sense for the English words leprechaun, gnome and goblin.

I wonder if we should start calling a troll here on OC.net ο Καλλικάντζαρος...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 02:45:40 PM by chris » Logged

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 02:53:40 PM »

I wonder if we should start calling a troll here on OC.net ο Καλλικάντζαρος...

I vote for "Orc" personally. Really bad flaming ones could be "Balrogs".

Grin

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 03:02:40 PM »

Really bad flaming ones could be "Balrogs".

I would never wish even to my worst enemy that s/he was in league with Morgoth...

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 03:05:53 PM »

The Science Fiction book that I first learned about the legend of the "kallikantzaroi" is "This Immortal" by Roger Zelazny.  It also mentions "Karagioz"

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 03:09:32 PM »

I would never wish even to my worst enemy that s/he was in league with Morgoth...

Most commendable.  Smiley  Besides, we have the admins and mods to declare:

"YOU.... Shall Not..... PASS!!!!

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 03:25:35 PM »

I think Melkor was really just misunderstood, he was doing what he could to make the world a better place, but the valar and the elves had their own agendas, so rather than compromise or deal with the dispute in a civilized manner they decided to cast poor ole' Melkor into the outer darkness. You know what they say, the victors write the history books. Wink

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 03:32:12 PM »

If I only had one of the emoticons from other fora that involved falling over laughing.

Joke alert:  Is one of your middle names "contrarian"? 

Cheesy Cheesy

Joking light/off

Have you read the "Silmarillion" by the way?   Somehow I can't see Angband or Ungoliant as part of "making the world a better place"

"snicker"

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 04:00:36 PM »

If I only had one of the emoticons from other fora that involved falling over laughing.

Joke alert:ÂÂ  Is one of your middle names "contrarian"?ÂÂ  

Cheesy Cheesy

Joking light/off

It's one of many, some of which are not appropriate for polite conversation Wink

Have you read the "Silmarillion" by the way?  ÃƒÆ’‚ Somehow I can't see Angband or Ungoliant as part of "making the world a better place"

"snicker"

Ebor

LOL...Yes, I have read it a few times, but as I said, the victors write the history books. Angband was probably a great city with great priceless wonders destroyed in envy. As far as Ungoliant is concerned, I do not believe that she was a creation of Melkor, but rather one of the Ainur in her own right, you can hardly blame Melkor for making what allies he might when all the Valar had already formed an alliance against him.ÂÂ  Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 04:01:16 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
FrChris
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 05:27:04 PM »

LOL...Yes, I have read it a few times, but as I said, the victors write the history books. Angband was probably a great city with great priceless wonders destroyed in envy. As far as Ungoliant is concerned, I do not believe that she was a creation of Melkor, but rather one of the Ainur in her own right, you can hardly blame Melkor for making what allies he might when all the Valar had already formed an alliance against him.ÂÂÂ  Grin

I must have missed the class on Revisionist Middle Earth  History, but I'm glad to see that one of my friends at school managed to take it...

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2005, 07:00:06 PM »

You beat me to the "R" word, Chris.  ÃƒÆ’‚Â

No, the History of Middle Earth is clear from the beginning.ÂÂ  (And have you read any of the "History of Middle Earth" volumes? <Geek alert>)ÂÂ  

Well of course Ungoliant wasn't a "creature" of Morgoth. It's clearly stated that he could not create but only twist and destroy was had been created through Eru. *tsk tsk* Morgoth was trying to assert his own will right from the beginning. And then there was the episode of destroying the two great lamps.ÂÂ  

Out of curiosity is there an EO term for "Devil's Advocate"?ÂÂ  Grin

Ebor
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 08:06:06 PM by Ebor » Logged

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2005, 08:03:09 PM »

I must have missed the class on Revisionist Middle EarthÂÂ  History, but I'm glad to see that one of my friends at school managed to take it...

I think the lesson was in Fr. George's social ethics class Wink

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2005, 09:55:48 PM »

Out of curiosity is there an EO term for "Devil's Advocate"?
I think we call them parishioners! Wink

Zastupnice christianov nepostydnaja, chodatajice ko Tvorcu nepreložnaja, ne prezri hr’išnych molenij hlasy, popredvari jako blahaja na pomošč nas, virno vopijuščich ti: Uskori na molitvu, i potščisja na umolenije, zastupajušči prisno Bohorodice, čtuščich t’a.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2005, 07:31:40 AM »

In another tread there was mention of the Purple Demons and the Kalikantzaroi.ÂÂ  I'm assuming they are a Greek "thing".ÂÂ  Would any Greeks like to further explain them?ÂÂ  I find ethnic folk lore fascinating.
Along the same line, a Carpatho Russian priest friend referred to the discord that occurs toward the end of lenten periods as "the snakes".

"The snakes"....I like that!
Whatever the description, clearly there is an understanding that something demonic is happening. Watch the Orthodox Forums and mailing lists during any fasting period, and especially Great Lent, and posts seem to get nastier, misunderstandings occur, and the "trolls" come out in force (or as chris suggests, perhaps we should call them "kalikataroi" on this forum!)  ...and so on.
People may say that we simply get grumpy by fasting, but I don't think that really accounts for what we see. I first heard of the "Purple Demons" about 10 years ago from an Orthodox nun who is well known here in Australia, Mother Dorothea. She started the "St. Basil Homes"- (Greek Orthodox Aged Care Facilities) here in Australia. I was managing one of them and there was a dispute between two of the Nursing Staff during one Lent. The dispute went on for ages, until the entire staff became divided and took sides with one or the other party. I called in a friend who was a professional Mediator, and the staff had three sessions with her, and things actually got worse. On the Tuesday of the fifth week of Lent, I informed Mother Dorothea of the situation by telephone, and she said: "Don't worry, it's just Purple Demons; I'll fix it". I had no idea what she was talking about, but she had a reputation of being somewhat of a "Holy Fool", so I didn't question it. Less than an hour later, a vernerable old priest arrived and said that Mother Dorothea had asked him to come and say some prayers in the Home. He set up a table for the Sancification Service and then read the exorcism prayers of St. Basil, followed by the Sanctification of the Water, and he blessed the Home, it's patients and the staff, then packed up and left without a word. And the dispute between the staff ended that day!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2005, 11:51:33 AM »

I think we call them parishioners! Wink

LOL!! Cheesy Cheesy

Another "good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that" moment.

Ebor

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2005, 11:52:30 AM »

That is a good story, Ozgeorge.  Mother Dorothea sounds like a very wise woman indeed.

Ebor

Carpatho Russian
Site Supporter
Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2005, 01:46:13 PM »

Chris and OzGeorge,
Thanks for the info.
I had no idea what she was talking about, but she had a reputation of being somewhat of a "Holy Fool", so I didn't question it.
What we need in the church today are less fools and more Holy Fools!
Another "good thing I wasn't drinking coffee when I read that" moment.
If you had been and spilled it, you could have sued me!

ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 06:16:52 AM »

Just a reminder to you that period of Tridion has begun, and right on cue, the Purple Demons have emerged from the abyss.

Meekle
Elder

Meekle of Rohan, Dunadan Bard of the Riddermark

« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2006, 02:18:19 PM »

3 Cheers for resurrected threads about purple demons!  Cheesy

Hey we should do somehting special for Pascha, how about we resurrect every thread on the forum in celebration of Jesus' resurrection?  Wink Grin
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 09:46:10 AM »

It's Triodion again.......they're baaaaaack.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 11:02:13 PM »

Thanks for the warning.  I'll keep a look-out.
 Wink

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 08:43:35 AM »

It's Triodion again.......they're baaaaaack.

Did you think I ever left? Grin

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 10:39:35 AM »

Are you admitting to multiple personalities?

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »

Are you admitting to multiple personalities?

Define personality. Wink

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 07:02:37 PM »

Define personality. Wink

Um, in your case, that would be the individual operating system running you at any given moment.  Probably Windows Me for Borg at the moment...

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 11:39:27 AM »

LOL.  "It's not all about you."   Wink  Also, is it so cold that you've turned "purple"?

Just kidding

Ebor

guitarmonk
Guitarmonk

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Why try to explain the Mystery?

« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 12:37:00 PM »

Wow. I've been gone for almost a year, and you'se are still at it.
You even have the same online discussion names.
I think mine might be the same too (although I might not remember correctly): if you remember me, please be kind, and reinvite me to your discussions. Except for the nationalistic Ethiopian who thought all White people were "Satan", I had some good and intelligent conversations with other members of this forum and, as a former member of "dis ting", I  look forward to "reconnecting" again.
Peace, Out.
       Guitarmonk.

At Work in theCosmic Soundforge...Huh!!!
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 01:38:55 PM »

Oh, we've been going on for a good while, several years even.   Cheesy

I thought your nickname was familiar, but I wonder why you had to re-register.

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 02:19:32 PM »

LOL.  "It's not all about you."   Wink

Perhaps not, but why not let a guy enjoy his delusions? Grin

Also, is it so cold that you've turned "purple"?

Way too cold...I'm going back to california.

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »

Perhaps not, but why not let a guy enjoy his delusions? Grin

hehehehe

Way too cold...I'm going back to california.

Oh, it gets quite hot and sufficating around here in the Summer. And what about the Boston winters at HC?

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 05:48:06 PM »

Oh, it gets quite hot and sufficating around here in the Summer. And what about the Boston winters at HC?

Comparable, though it generally did not get as cold as this recent cold spell here.

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2007, 04:09:22 PM »

Guess who's rearing their ugly heads for Advent...

Ta-Da!

Purple Demons
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 04:09:44 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2007, 04:30:34 PM »

Guess who's rearing their ugly heads for Advent...

Ta-Da!

Purple Demons

It's on again!

Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 02:12:10 PM »

And here they are again.....
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 03:24:55 PM »

It seems like they never went away after Lent this year.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »

No, they haven't.

But, on the bright side, they've been driving up forum activity to record levels... Wink

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2009, 12:10:11 AM »

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »

Resurrection!

I think this venerable tradition needs to be rekindled.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2013, 01:47:12 AM »

Resurrection!

I think this venerable tradition needs to be rekindled.

the tradition of thread resurrection?   Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2013, 02:23:52 AM »

That needs no rekindling, that is already a roaring fire!  Cheesy

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
Tags: Purple Demons Kalikatsaroi 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: