OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:27:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Decoupage Icon Prints...  (Read 4380 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: June 17, 2005, 05:45:26 PM »

Any sites or places y'all know of that specifically show how to decoupage prints of icons -- in my case, those that come from church bulletins -- onto pieces of wood to be blessed as icons?

Also, any sites/places where I could buy the wood specifically for it?

Thanks.

Pedro

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 06:05:34 PM »

Decoupage?  I've never seen that word before.  I thought you meant discourage.  That's easier - $$$$ -> good iconograher
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2005, 12:39:12 AM »

I've done it, but the results are less than professional looking.  That's probably because I don't know what I am doing. 

I get unfinished wooden plaques from Michael's or another craft store.  Michael's has a website.  I stain the wood and when it's dry I glue the paper icon onto it. I use rubber cement, as that doesn't cause the paper to wrinkle.  Regular white glue will wrinkle the paper.  Then I put a varnish on it.  I use an oil based varnish, as a water based one will take off color from the paper or cause it to wrinkle.  The only problem is that the oil based stinks horribly for quite a while.

If anyone else has more professional advice, or a website on this, I also would greatly appreciate knowing about it.

Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2005, 11:23:36 AM »

I've done something similar to what Salpy describes.  Basically, the only thing I could recommend is being very careful and taking your time.  Otherwise, you probably won't be happy with the results.

The only thing I did a little differently, is that I used simple plaques I'd fashioned from MDF.  However, you can rarely buy this in anything save a large sheet, so it's not practical to do if you only want one Icon.  MDF is nice in that it's very heavy, very rigid, but paints and sands very nicely (so you can easily put rounded edges and corners on the plaque.)

Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 09:09:03 AM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Its been years since I decoupaged an icon print.  I was told to soap the icon print in water and then smear white glue on the board and carefully place the print on the glue covered board.  Put some waxed paper over the print and place some heavy books on top to help prevent wrinkles.  Give is several good coats of varnish and after that has dried to buff the varish with a very fine sandpaper and then clean the surface of the dust and re-varnish.  This should give it a nice smooth and bubble free surface. 

I had one print of St Simeon the God-Bearer that was very dark.  I painted the board white, varnished the print and after it had dried soaked that in water and removed all the paper backing.  This made the print much lighter.

As a last option, buy a decoupage kit and follow its instructions. 

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 02:33:15 PM »

Mod Podge would be a better option than rubber cement in my experience.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 04:09:58 PM »

I have had a few icons mounted via decoupage, some with Mod Podge.  I have never been satisfied with the results.  The paper buckles, sometimes immediately upon drying, often much later (humidity?).  Any paper or cloth touching the finish tends to stick and/or leave impressions, even years later.  Now I put all my icon prints into frames.
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 04:30:21 PM »

Which Mod Podge did you use? There are three or four types. I use the "satin" type.
tuesdayschild
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 05:15:42 PM »

Which Mod Podge did you use? There are three or four types. I use the "satin" type.

No idea.  It was quite some time ago.  I see there are nine types now (http://www.bucilla.com/apMP.asp).  Maybe the "satin" or "paper" varieties would work better than whatever I used (probably "Original Crunchy Classic").  I doubt I will try again, though.
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »

I've also done Modge Podge.  The icon didn't wrinkle, but the outer layer was sticky.  So, I put on a layer of clear varnish on top of it and that fixed the problem.  The icons I used were on card stock and I was applying them to icon boxes for feast day projects with the kids.  So I needed them to stack. 

I do have a paper icon I've been holding onto for many years that I have wanted to mount.  I tried using one of those wooden plates they sell at Michaels but it wasn't the right size.  I was able to get a thin plywood from HomeDepot that my hubby  cut for me to the right size.  I got the idea from my kid's who went to camp this past summer.  They mounted paper icons of St. Seraphim on this and then decorated it with leaves, birch bark, tiny pine cones, etc. (using hot glue). Then it was given a hefty layer or two of varnish.
Tags: icons decoupage 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: