OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 12:34:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay Bishop Denies Saying Jesus Was Gay  (Read 4176 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: April 05, 2005, 05:58:06 PM »

Gay Bishop Denies Saying Jesus Was Gay

Tuesday, April 05, 2005

MANCHESTER, N.H. — The first openly gay Episcopal bishop says he is being falsely accused of suggesting that Jesus might have been homosexual.

"I can assure you with absolute certainty that was not my implication, and certainly not anything I ever said," Bishop V. Gene Robinson (search) told the New Hampshire Union Leader.

He said he is "being flooded with angry messages" because of Web log comments about his comments at a Feb. 13 forum on sexual issues at Christ Church in Hamilton, Mass.

Robinson said he was making the point that the nuclear family is a relatively new idea and that, even for his time, Jesus apparently led a nontraditional life.

"Interestingly enough, in this day of traditional family values and so on," Robinson says in a recording from the forum on the church's Web site, "this man that we follow ... was single as far as we know; who traveled with a bunch of men, although there were lots of women around; who had a disciple who was known as `the one whom Jesus loved'; who said 'my family is not my mother and father, my family are those who do the will of God' — none of us like those harsh words. That's who Jesus is, that's who he was, at least in his earthly life."

Pointing out that Jesus was not married with children "is a long way from saying Jesus is gay, or saying that he had sex with anyone, male or female," Robinson said Monday.

Robinson married and had two daughters before accepting his own homosexuality. He has lived for years with his male partner.

"I happen to think the traditional family is a wonderful thing. I'm a product of it," said at the Hamilton forum. "I dearly love my family, and I love my own family, with my own two kids. It just looks a little nontraditional. But this Jesus, when you ask who is Jesus, he was not terribly mainstream, was he?"

Robinson did not immediately respond to a phone message from The Associated Press seeking comment Tuesday.

The Episcopal Church (search), with 2.4 million members, is the U.S. branch of the 77 million-member Anglican Communion (search), which traces its roots to the Church of England. The church has been roiled by controversy since Robinson's ordination in 2003.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 05:58:32 PM by TomS » Logged
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 07:26:47 PM »

Geeeez......What a loser. A bishop like Robinson and churches like (if you dare to call them churches) ECUSA, Uniited Methodist, & Presbyterian Church USA is what you get when the American Left attempts to do religion. Pretty bad mix to say the least... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Rilian

OC.net

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 08:01:30 PM »

I'm sure at some point we'll see ENS headlines like "Priest shocks congregation by saying Jesus may have had a divine nature" or "Bishop goes on trial for heresy of Trinitarianism". etc., etc.
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:40:48 PM »

Hey All,
 I have not posted in a while, but this statement by Robinson leads to an  iresistable need to vent. There is a part of me that wishes the Orthodox church could issue a fatwah in cases like this.

Official Resident of 5th Century Cyprus
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the South

St. Barbara, patroness of the Field Artillery

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:43:38 PM »

Hey All,
 I have not posted in a while, but this statement by Robinson leads to an  iresistable need to vent. There is a part of me that wishes the Orthodox church could issue a fatwah in cases like this.

Do anathemas not work for that?  Wink

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 11:46:19 PM »

Only if anathemas  also authorized headthumpin or buttkickin

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 11:48:05 PM »

Only if anathemas  also authorized headthumpin or buttkickin

Like an Orthodox Inquisiton? Evil

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl. ~Frederick the Great
spiros

OC.net

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 11:52:25 PM »

OK...........maybe this fatwah thing is not a good idea................guess we will just have to pray for him.

Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 11:57:37 PM »

OK...........maybe this fatwah thing is not a good idea................guess we will just have to pray for him.

Darn, I had Mel Brooks all lined up to do a musical Inquisition number for us, too.  Drat. Wink

spiros

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2005, 12:07:25 AM »

laugh

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2005, 12:15:10 AM »

Geeeez......What a loser. A bishop like Robinson and churches like (if you dare to call them churches) ECUSA, Uniited Methodist, & Presbyterian Church USA is what you get when the American Left attempts to do religion. Pretty bad mix to say the least... Roll Eyes

I don't know about the "American Left" part of this, but I am concerned that our Roman Catholic cousins will shortly begin further down the path of destruction. All these recent, stupid "polls" of American RC about female clergy, contraception, etc. make me shudder for them, and eventually for us.There are a lot of seriously and sadly confused people out there.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2005, 02:13:11 AM »

Like an Orthodox Inquisiton?

Hehe, sounds like a good idea  Afro

I don't know about the "American Left" part of this, but I am concerned that our Roman Catholic cousins will shortly begin further down the path of destruction. All these recent, stupid "polls" of American RC about female clergy, contraception, etc. make me shudder for them, and eventually for us.There are a lot of seriously and sadly confused people out there.

Yea, I'm tired of the demons in the media and the average american idiot in the street dictating their moral relativism on those that actually want to hold to true christian values. If they don't like the teachings of the RC, maybe they should join some modern new age quasi-christian cult than can cater to their changing lifestyles. They would rather tear down 2000 years of christian tradition than to be told their lifestyle is in conflict with the teachings of Christ and the church.

In regards to the gay bishop, this doesn't surprise me because the gay activist tries to claim anyone of any importance in history must have been gay. Lets see,a few I can think of off the top of my head are Alexander the Great, Michelangelo, and Abraham Lincoln & now Jesus. Of course this all happened after breaking up with Mary Magdalene after she bore his two children!  I found this in an article as to what the gay bishop said, ""this man that we follow ... was single as far as we know; who traveled with a bunch of men, although there were lots of women around; who had a disciple who was known as `the one whom Jesus loved'...." LOL... Grin (Cough,wink,wink,cough Grin) Now he's trying to say he didn't really mean what he obviously was insinuating...

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2005, 04:57:24 AM »

Why do gay people really need to become bishops?

lpap

I stopped participating in this forum.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2005, 08:45:01 AM »

What about Holy Ghost, Father, Angels, Satan ? Are they Gays or not ?

What about heaven ? Is there a Gay's heaven or not ?

Who realy knows the heart of man ?

Maybe people that need to identify themselves with someone else are so blind that they think that everyone is totaly described by their own personality.

Life is to live the life of others.
Veniamin
Fire for Effect!
Archon

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2005, 09:11:45 AM »

Why do gay people really need to become bishops?

The Episcopalians can't ordain bishops any more than my cat can celebrate the Liturgy.

Antiochian

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2005, 09:35:07 AM »

I guess I'm one of those liberal Christians who happen to agree with greater roles for women in the church and the permitting of contraception.

jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2005, 09:40:30 AM »

I guess I'm one of those liberal Christians who happen to agree with greater roles for women in the church and the permitting of contraception.

So do I - to a degree. I agree with permitting contraception so long as it isn't arbortifacient and I agree with women having a role in the Church, perhaps as deaconesses, but not priestesses or female bishops. And I don't think that these are controversial positions for an Orthodox Christian to hold. Are your views more liberal than this?

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »

I agree that women could have a greater role, but I think the motivation for it now is just political ideology, not a genuine need (where there is need, it just happens!).  But contraception, to me (and I know we have gone over this a million times on this forum, and why I hold my positions is fleshed out in those threads) is just evil.

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2005, 05:49:16 PM »

We have to pray over this matter.

It is not enough for us (Orthodox) to simply recognize a bad situation.

We are prepared to pray over all things.....the entire human condition.

We all know that this group of people come on the scene from thier beginnings due to huge socio-political problems. The essence of their beginnigs is rought with contempt and confusion and maybe some good intention all rapped up together.

A division of a division from a division......HuhHuh

What else would be expected?

It seems clear to me that some fish are made to swim in fresh water and some in salt water. The problems begin when we try to liberate this by having All the fish swim together.Some fish begin to die off.

I guess we could just mix the salt water with the clear water so that every fish could have some part of his natural enviroment. I do not think that works no matter how idealistic and liberal that might be. Like the scripture teaches 'fresh water and salt water cannot proceed from the same fountain'.

I hope all can understand and get the meaning of my little metaphor?

We can pray.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
desertrose

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me .

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2005, 07:58:16 PM »

Yikes-I liked the praying for him idea.
 After all he is a child of God, same as we are.  Sorry to spoil your fun and I did get a great laugh from reading
your banter back and forth.  (Bracing for a barrage of rotten tomatoes) I am an old wrinkly heterosexual white woman, not at all what is considered a liberal (though I live in So Cal, does that automatically make me liberal?) . I have had a long sucession of gay people in my life who were and are real blessings , there is so much gay-bashing, do we Orthodox have to do it too? That was one of the things that hurt most about being an evangelical  was the endless condemnation of homosexuals. My understanding is that the Orthodox church officially condemns homosexual practices, but not homosexual people. It's OK, You can all say AW,MOM!!! now.
So that ALL will know Christians by their love!
Desertrose

O Lord, baptize me with love,
Jesus teach me gentleness
Gracious Master remove my fear.
Holy Spirit reveal my sin.
Lord Jesus, help me feel loved.
Amdetsion
Worship God with all thy strength and all thy might
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Patriarchate; Addis Abebe Ethiopia

HH Abuna Pawlos - Patriarch of Ethiopia

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2005, 09:27:25 PM »

Desertrose

I beleive you may have misunderstood my point.

When I speak of "these groups of people" in my original post; I did not mean this to be refering to "gay" people but to Episcopals generally as a group and how this group of people (episcopals) have a difficult, socio-political begining and so forth. The issue I am putting forth is that of the historical.

I re-read my first post and find that I should have been more specific since the subject is regarding (2) groups of "people".

I do agree with you and your point.

We have love for all of humanity....endless room for forgiveness and mercy.

This is the greatest gift I find in the Orthodox faith which shows itself through the liturgy and the teachings of the Holy Fathers.

We must look to prayer and walk in our lives with the faith of our Fathers. If we do than we will have the strenght to endure the difficult and what we may see as absolutely objectionable life styles and behaviors from people; even from those we love.

Orthodoxy to me is not teaching prude and pomp. We are to me the care takers of humanity.

I find that we can not dismiss Gay, lesbians or HIV victims or drug addicts...or anyone. We must find room in our hearts for all 'people'.

WE are not and will not however condone Gay, lesbian or any other type of lifestyle that is contrary to the teachings of God. WE are to help and care for 'people' who have need of guidance and mercy. This is not in my mind accomplished by putting people with clearly observable behavior problems which contrast with the teachings of Christ, morality or common human descency in positions of any kind of leadership within a community which seeks to observe or aspire to dwell in a Christ centered or moral ideals.

To even think of placing someone in this kind of unfortunate circumstance in a visible position within a Christian community or the Holy Church is incomprehensable.

WE can not be so liberally 'kind' that we forsake good for bad.

"ETHIOPIA shall soon stretch out her hands unto God".....Psalm 68:vs 31

"Are ye not as children of the ETHIOPIANS unto me, O children of Israel"?....Amos 9: vs 7
desertrose

Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me .

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2005, 12:41:28 AM »

Thanks  for the clarification Amdetsion!
Desertrose

O Lord, baptize me with love,
Jesus teach me gentleness
Gracious Master remove my fear.
Holy Spirit reveal my sin.
Lord Jesus, help me feel loved.
Tags: homosexuality 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: