OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 10:20:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arab Christianity and Islamic Phrases  (Read 2821 times) Average Rating: 0
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« on: February 04, 2005, 08:19:06 PM »

I've been thinking about this lately, as I'm an Arabic student and I have a lot of teachers who are actually Arab Christians (mostly Coptic).  Do Arab Christians ever refer to God in terms normally familiar in Islam (i.e. Al-Raheem, Al-A'azeem, etc.)?  I was just curious, because I really like the idea of saying The Merciful (Al-Raheem) instead of just God, and I often say The Allmighty/Great (Al-A'azeem) just because it's a common western term for God, but I'm sure it may put out a mixed message with other Meseeheen who are from the ME.

PS  I'm really trying to get my hands on an Arabic liturgy and/or prayer book.  Anyone have any links?
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 09:14:32 PM »

IC XC NIKA
www.orthodoxbookstore.org, under audio, you can find some cds having the Liturgy in Arabic.  I would suggeset purchasing also an English one as well, so you will understand what is going on.  Abouna Bishoy Andrawes has a wonderful voice, and his accent isn't to thing (that is, in English).
copticorthodoxboy
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 09:20:19 PM »

IC XC NIKA
Oh, I don't speak any Arabic, but I will ask my priest on Sunday if he ever calls the Lord by these names. 
And, www.monasterygreetings.com, under Holy Land, and then chants, you may find wonderful cds, from both OO and EO Churches.  My favorite, I must admit, is the Ethiopian Chant.  The Liturgy has a unique sound, there is no harmony, so there is a flowing yet powerful sound.  Also, the Syrian Chant is good, but I still listen to the Ethiopian chant (about the ninth minute, the priest starts incensing the church, and the sound is so good, the censer's bells ringing away, the monks chanting, it gives me goosebumps).
copticorthodoxboy
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2005, 01:37:08 AM »

PS  I'm really trying to get my hands on an Arabic liturgy and/or prayer book.  Anyone have any links?

J,

Ya know, it's funny that you mention this. I was on eBay earlier today and I found a couple things that may peak your interest!

The first auction is for a "Very RARE Original Arabic Verson of the ORTHODOX BOOK OF DIVINE PRAYERS AND SERVICES OF THE CATHOLIC ORTHODOX CHURCH OF CHRIST Compiled by the late Reverend Seraphim Nassar...This vintage original Arabic edition is a rare volume and is in excellent new conditon.

Commonly known as "the 5 Pounder" Service Book of the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America. This is the original Arabic Service Book. The classic Service Book comprises the most important of the Private and Public Prayers; Services of the Great Feasts of Christ and the Virgin Mary as well as most of the Important Saints, and of all of the Sundays of the year in the Order ordained by the Holy Orthodox Church of Christ. Contains Gospel, Epistle, and Old Testament Readings. Hardback. 1,123pp." - This sounds like it may be just what you are looking for!

The bidding starts at $25.00 and here is the link to that auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4525502719&rd=1

The second auction is for a "large (9" x 11") Holy Gospel Book, for the Holy Altar, contains all of the Holy Gospels in the Arabic language read during the Divine Services of the Holy Orthodox Church.  It is currently used by the Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America.  Hardback."

The starting bid is $50.00 and here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=378&item=4525506100&rd=1

I have never seen either of these books before, let alone on eBay - so if you're interested you may want to put in a bid, or register for eBay if you are not already. Anyways, if I come across any others that fit your descriptions I will be sure to post a link back here.  Smiley

Hope these may have been of some help.

In Christ,
Aaron
SamB
High Elder

Crates of araq for sale! *hic*

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2005, 03:49:08 PM »

Some expressions are shared by members of the two religions. Others are not. We do not use the formal As'salaamu `alaykum (and neither do Muslims who don't have a religious bent), nor employ such phrases as ar'rahmaan ur'raheem and subhaanahu wa ta`aala, though there is nothing objectionable or unpraiseworthy in such expressions.

We refer to Christ in the same fashion when we say As'Say'yidil Maseeh. References to God in normal speech are common to both Christian and Muslim Arabs (e.g. insha'Allah, Allah ma`ak, Allah `aleem &c.), moreso than formal titles and expressions used to describe or speak of God.

Justin, the Arabic 'Almighty' in Christian parlance which you are looking for is the translation for 'Pantocrator', A(d)'(D)aabi(t)ul Kul*, but it would be too awkward to use it in speech; its place is in formal Fushah texts and prayers, such as in the Creed. I'm afraid that 'Almighty' isn't used in the vernacular as is the case in English. There is a more general classical expression that may carry the meaning to a degree (but leans more towards 'the [Most] High and Great [Glorious]'): al`aliy'yul`a(th)eem (` being the consonant `ein or +¦). A small note: the 'z' in Azeem is actually a characteristic of the vernacular where the '(th)' becomes a 'z'.

In IC XC
Samer

*since you know the consonants, the parenthesised letters are those consonants that are rolled.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2005, 05:20:44 PM by SamB » Logged
J
(another Justin)

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 08:20:31 PM »

I just used a Z instead of the real letter because one, I couldn't type it, heheh, and two, because all of the Arab Christians that I know, with two exceptions, are Egyptians, and thus substitute Z and hard G for a lot of letters.  Thanks for the clearup though, Sam.  Thanks a lot for the ebay heads up on that Arabic book, Arystarcus.  I'm going to see if I can't somehow get it.
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2005, 11:17:55 PM »

Thanks a lot for the ebay heads up on that Arabic book, Arystarcus.  I'm going to see if I can't somehow get it.

No problem J!  Smiley Good luck!
Tags: arabic Islam insha'Allah inshallah 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: