OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 23, 2014, 08:40:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Illinois churches barred from "gay discrimination"  (Read 3030 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: January 30, 2005, 12:49:21 AM »

LAW OF THE LAND
Churches barred from 'gay' discrimination
New measure requires religious groups to hire homosexuals

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=42502

Is this a little scary to anyone but me? :dunno:

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:49:49 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »

I'm sure some of them and thier lawyers (I like to call them liars instead Cheesy) will start flooding the courts with lawsuits demanding restitution because thier gay clients were discriminated against. What I would do in this case is play thier game and find some of the craziest backward bible thumping baptist to apply at gay organizations such as Glaad and then claim discrimination when the christians aren't hired.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 02:08:12 AM »

that would be fun to see Smiley

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 02:19:27 AM »

is that freako-governor Orthodox with a name like that?!

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2005, 07:04:09 PM »

Granting gays equal rights in the work place is fine. Extending this to religious groups is unConstitutional.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Marjorie

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:21:47 PM »

Unfortunately, yes: http://www.nga.org/governors/1,1169,C_GOVERNOR_INFO%5ED_395,00.html.

Marjorie

"The land of God is wide and large enough to provide room for everyone if we are humans. If we act like brutes, then there will not be enough room even if there are only four of us."

- His Holiness Patriarch +PAVLE of Serbia
amnesiac99
Always Hopeful, Yet Discontent

Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Create in me a clean heart, O God

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2005, 07:40:39 PM »

It ought to be frightening to all who value freedom of religion and association.

This, along with the "hate-crimes" statutes, are aimed at criminalizing certain modes of thought. I will try to find the information, but I recently read an article about a judge who ruled that a mother who was teaching her daughter that homosexuality was immoral was "spreading hatred" and that she had no right to do so. So long, First Amendment!

Through the prayers of our Holy Fathers, Lord Jesus Christ our God, have mercy upon and save us. Amen!
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 09:43:59 PM »

I thought it wasn't 'kosher' to discuss politics here?  IMHO "freako-governor" borders on being political because the "freako" appellation probably applies to his political opinions. 

Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2005, 10:28:17 PM »

I thought it wasn't 'kosher' to discuss politics here? IMHO "freako-governor" borders on being political because the "freako" appellation probably applies to his political opinions.

hahaha, you caught me red handed Smiley  When I read that article I was pretty ticked.

American political discussion is not generally allowed but if it relates to a specifically religious topic we have occasionally allowed things to go through as I am sure you have noticed previously. I think the governor is crazy not based on his political convictions (I personally believe that it's wrong for businesses to discriminate against homosexuals) but I draw the line at interfering in Churches' business. I know you usually hate slippery slope arguments but I am just waiting for someone to sue the Catholic or Orthodox Church for "discriminating" against women for not ordaining them.

Anastasios

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching. Also, I served as an Orthodox priest from 2008-2013, before resigning.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2005, 11:39:00 PM »

I know you usually hate slippery slope arguments but I am just waiting for someone to sue the Catholic or Orthodox Church for "discriminating" against women for not ordaining them.

And they'll lose.  Actually any case would be dismissed for failure to state a claim. 

Has your wife taken employment discrimination yet? 

There's a specific exemption for religious organizations in the Employment Non-Discrimination Act. 
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

anastasios0513
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2005, 11:51:02 PM »

And they'll lose. Actually any case would be dismissed for failure to state a claim.

Has your wife taken employment discrimination yet?

There's a specific exemption for religious organizations in the Employment Non-Discrimination Act.

Michaela offered to log me into LexisNexis but since I have you here I'll just ask you. Smiley I'll admit I am confused: how were they able to force a church to hire gays but they wouldn't be able to force a church to ordain women?

Anastasios

Please Buy My Book!

Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2005, 12:02:01 AM »

They haven't forced a church to hire any gay or lesbian people. That was the govenor's interpretation of the law. Her interpretation isn't binding, however, only the courts' or the state's attorney general opinions are in any way binding. They decide how to interprate and enforce laws.

Proverbs 22:7
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2005, 12:15:00 AM »

Michaela offered to log me into LexisNexis but since I have you here I'll just ask you. Smiley I'll admit I am confused: how were they able to force a church to hire gays but they wouldn't be able to force a church to ordain women?

Anastasios

This isn't my area of expertise but I believe it has to do with whether the job in question goes to the heart of the religious believes.  The male priesthood is essential to the Church's mission but the person who works for the diocese as a secretary or an accountant isn't essential. 
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2005, 01:05:32 AM »

Also non-discrim laws usually apply only to entites employing 15 persons or more. One could argue that the priest is an employee of the parish, which may only have 2 or 3 full time employees (if that many!). Of course the opposing side could argue that the staff of a parish work for the diocese, but I don't think that would prevail.

Proverbs 22:7
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2005, 11:11:53 AM »

I believe the governor is of Serbian decent.  Very scary that he would do this. 

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 03:43:48 PM »

Also non-discrim laws usually apply only to entites employing 15 persons or more. One could argue that the priest is an employee of the parish, which may only have 2 or 3 full time employees (if that many!). Of course the opposing side could argue that the staff of a parish work for the diocese, but I don't think that would prevail.

What about Catholic schools?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2005, 12:26:24 AM »

I believe the governor is of Serbian decent.  Very scary that he would do this.

Yup, Governor Blagojevich is Serbian. I do not know if he is Orthodox, and if so if he is practicing, or that he even proclaims to be a Christian. And it is scary.  Sad

In Christ,
Aaron
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2005, 01:22:55 PM »

Can we say excommunication?  Because if he's standing by these beliefs, he should not be allowed to approach the chalice.   Angry

Ian Lazarus :grommit:

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
sdcheung
it's as if..Saint Photios and Saint Mark Ephesus, has come back
Banned
OC.net guru

...even though Romania Falls, another will Rise...

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2005, 01:57:17 PM »

What are you guys?
Anti-Homosexual?

and yet you accuse me of Anti-semitism? Double standard.

Keep Breed Mixing, and this Maine Coon Cat will be the last of it's kind. /\
No profanities in your sig line if you're going to post in the public forum.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2005, 04:29:58 PM »

This post has been deleted.  It comes too close to the kind of political discussion which is banned here, IMO. 

MorE

« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 04:36:05 PM by Mor Ephrem » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2005, 05:52:16 PM »

It's my best article though. It's subject matter is my opinion of this new law.
The article can be found at:

http://melodramatic.com/users/matteeramone

This is my blog.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005, 05:55:10 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags: homosexuality liberal liar immorality persecution 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: