OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:22:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prayer in the Location of a Death  (Read 376 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Chalcedonian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« on: March 04, 2013, 09:41:04 PM »

So I just recently discovered that a few years ago someone had committed suicide in one of our rooms, which is oddly enough where my icon corner is. So I'm just wondering if there's any such thing as a prayer in the the location/room of a death. It's a little strange to be praying where someone committed suicide...
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 10:44:53 PM »

I think you're supposed to do the 40 days of prayer - You also can prepare yourself through prayer to die a peaceful death to release the person to Heaven.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 10:50:23 PM by WPM » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2013, 12:09:36 AM »

So I just recently discovered that a few years ago someone had committed suicide in one of our rooms, which is oddly enough where my icon corner is. So I'm just wondering if there's any such thing as a prayer in the the location/room of a death. It's a little strange to be praying where someone committed suicide...

Prayer for the person?
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:21 AM »

Prayer for the person?

I suppose I could do that generally, but I didn't know if there were any prayers specifically for/at the location.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »

Prayer for the person?

I suppose I could do that generally, but I didn't know if there were any prayers specifically for/at the location.

Ask your priest. Did you have the priest bless your home this year?

I have heard of people who had strange occurrences due to a suicide. When the priest came to the house to bless it, he also said a prayer of exorcism, and the strange noises, flickering of lights, and things dropping off shelves ceased.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2013, 01:31:56 AM »

Ask your priest. Did you have the priest bless your home this year?

I have heard of people who had strange occurrences due to a suicide. When the priest came to the house to bless it, he also said a prayer of exorcism, and the strange noises, flickering of lights, and things dropping off shelves ceased.

I'll ask him - I should've thought of that. And yes he blessed it this year.

I heard that strange things used to happen here, but during my our time in this house (over a year) there hasn't been anything that I'm aware of.
Velsigne
Elder

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2013, 02:29:55 AM »

I pray for the departed and was given this by the priest:

Prayer for the Repose of the Departed
(can be used in personal prayers for those who were not Orthodox)

O God of spirits and of all flesh, Who trampled down death, abolished the power of the devil, and granted life to Your world, give rest, O Lord, to the soul(s) of Your servant(s) who have fallen asleep (name), in a place of brightness, in a place of refreshment, where pain, sorrow and sighing have fled away.  Forgive every sin he/she has committed in word, deed, or thought:  for You are a good God Who loves mankind.  For there is no man who will live and not sin; For You alone are without sin.  Your righteousness is an everlasting righteousness, and Your law is truth.

For You are the resurrection, the life and repose of Your servant(s) who has fallen asleep (name), O Christ our God, and to You we send up glory: with Your Father Who is without beginning and Your All-holy, good and life-giving Spirit, now and ever and to the ages of ages.  

You can keep adding names and praying for people.

It's basically the same as some of the funeral prayers.

Sometimes I chant, Save O Lord Thy people, and bless Thine inheritance, grant now unto the faithful victory over adversaries, and by the power of Thy Cross do Thou preserve Thy commonwealth.  
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 02:30:30 AM by Velsigne » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2013, 03:08:13 AM »

Prayer for the person?

There are prayers you can do for the person, you will find this on online Orthodox Prayerbooks.  Then also Maria's suggestion, talk to your priest and get him to help out.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2013, 05:26:52 AM »

Prayer for the person?

There are prayers you can do for the person, you will find this on online Orthodox Prayerbooks.  Then also Maria's suggestion, talk to your priest and get him to help out.

There's a section of prayers for the departed at the end of the Midnight Office. As for the location, unless there are any weird manifestations (in which case, talk to your priest ASAP), you can leave well alone. The presence of your icon corner there would be enough.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 11:47:28 AM »

So I just recently discovered that a few years ago someone had committed suicide in one of our rooms, which is oddly enough where my icon corner is. So I'm just wondering if there's any such thing as a prayer in the the location/room of a death.

No, unless it is a church.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 01:10:58 PM »

Maybe its not too late for a Theophany blessing?
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: