OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 11:00:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay marriage could signal return to ‘centuries of persecution’, say RCC priests  (Read 14483 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 14, 2013, 07:15:27 PM »

More than 1,000 priests have signed a letter voicing alarm that same-sex marriage could threaten religious freedom in a way last seen during “centuries of persecution” of Roman Catholics in England.

In one of the biggest joint letters of its type ever written, they raise fears that their freedom to practise and speak about their faith will be “severely” limited and dismiss Government reassurances as "meaningless".

They even liken David Cameron’s moves to redefine marriage to those of Henry VIII, whose efforts to secure a divorce from Katherine of Aragon triggered centuries of bloody upheaval between church and state.

They claim that, taken in combination with equalities laws and other legal restraints, the Coalition's plans will prevent Catholics and other Christians who work in schools, charities and other public bodies speaking freely about their beliefs on the meaning of marriage.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 07:17:04 PM »

Good grief.

Proverbs 22:7
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »

More than 1,000 priests have signed a letter voicing alarm that same-sex marriage could threaten religious freedom in a way last seen during “centuries of persecution” of Roman Catholics in England.

In one of the biggest joint letters of its type ever written, they raise fears that their freedom to practise and speak about their faith will be “severely” limited and dismiss Government reassurances as "meaningless".

They even liken David Cameron’s moves to redefine marriage to those of Henry VIII, whose efforts to secure a divorce from Katherine of Aragon triggered centuries of bloody upheaval between church and state.

They claim that, taken in combination with equalities laws and other legal restraints, the Coalition's plans will prevent Catholics and other Christians who work in schools, charities and other public bodies speaking freely about their beliefs on the meaning of marriage.
Absolutely a possibility.  Sad

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »

Good grief.

This should definitely be the post of the month.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
choy
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »

In a way this circles back to us.  Christians have maltreated gays for centuries, instead of being charitable to them and helping them with their struggle, they were maligned and abused.  Now they have "rights" on their side, this is going back to bite us.  Because of our track record for handling this issue, no one is taking our side.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 07:33:36 PM »

get a grip ye priests!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »

I didn't realize the church had faced centuries of persecution by Anglican gay married guys.

Who do they mean, Elton John?

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 08:03:49 PM »

1054 priests, lol it seems fate is not without a sense of irony
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 08:06:28 PM »

however can we be Christians without the state guaranteeing our say on other people's lives? how many parish members's donations are we going to lose if being christian does not translate as being a noble child of the state?wa Cry wa  Cry wa.  Cry what if these gay people did what we Christians did when we came to the power of the state?huh? what if they also start to round us up and imprison us, burn us on a stake, declare a law against us freely practicing what we believe to be right, strip us of our civil rights what if what if they too decide to do what we have done with those who oppose us?

if they are anything like us,or have learnt how to behave while in power from us, then the sky will fall!

back to the pre-Constantine era folks, you decide whether its good or bad judging by the state of christian affairs in the world today.

if we had preached and practiced the Gospel all this panic would have been unnecessary as we would have lived with all our neighbors in peace and love, even while we tell the Truth of our Faith to them and live it out daily. but we have wielded the weapon of the state, and we have chosen to run to it for shelter. let us see if this serves Christianity. or make another history of shame for us by our very own standards and ideals.

but there is even worse, we talk this way expect the worst of them judging by what we are used to do , and yet they show mercy, justice, love , towards us and what will we say then? are we not setting ourselves to disgrace of our own making of epic proportion?

yeah you disagree, and I disagree with you, so there.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »

Why is everyone acting like this is so absurd? Catholic institutions have already been closed down because of this.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 10:45:46 PM »

It might be said that the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales reaction is a bit 'over the top'. However here we have seen ever increasing pressures for change. Seven years ago Civil Partnerships were created for those same sex couples that wished take that option. Now same marriages suddenly appear out of Prime Minister David Cameron's head, despite the concept appeared in no political parties manifesto at the last general election. The implementation date set for this appears to allow little time for in depth exploration of all possible implications of such a move. Religious bodies other than the Church of England would have to opt in if they wished to carry out such 'marriages'. Anglican would be forbidden by law from doing so.

Potential problems might include a legal challenge by a same sex couple to any of the supposed safeguards for religious groups that have grounds for not accepting 'same sex' marriage on European equal rights laws. Lynne Featherstone, Minister for Equalities pooh poohs this, but is not the intellectually brightest minister on the front bench, and ministerial assurances have not always lived up to expectations in the past.

What concerns me is the change the government is seeking in terms of what constitutes marriage. Since the 1800s marriage here has in law been defined as being between a man and woman. The change does not even appear to be universally wanted by members of the Gay community.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 10:55:04 PM »

Disgusting how religious leaders care about legislation

Even more so how uncharitable these statements are

We should love and pray for the sinners, if gay marriage is somehow a cause for Christian persecution then it is our own fault for not showing love and compassion and doing what we can to make them want to seek repentance from their promiscuous and homosexual behavior

Good thing we're not RCs

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »

To pin the return of persecution on gay marriage is a bit wrong, gay marriage is just one symptom of a much larger problem.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:20:33 PM »

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »

Talk about making a mountain out of a molehill.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »

Let me guess Tallitot, you're in pretend-Jew "Reformed Judaism"?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:28:47 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 11:30:48 PM »

I agree with this. In the United States, a similar manifesto, the Manhattan Declaration, was initially signed by Orthodox, Catholic and Evangelical leaders. Later, ordinary citizens, like yours truly, have also signed it.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 11:32:57 PM »

I agree with this. In the United States, a similar manifesto, the Manhattan Declaration, was initially signed by Orthodox, Catholic and Evangelical leaders. Later, ordinary citizens, like yours truly, have also signed it.

and myself...
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 11:34:20 PM »

Why is everyone acting like this is so absurd? Catholic institutions have already been closed down because of this.

I am not aware of one church that has closed because the church didn't like gay marriage. I have heard of many that were closed because they had to be sold to pay settlements from the child abuse scandal.

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:10 PM »

+1

Didn't realize we could sign it until you mentioned it.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:42:35 PM by Nephi » Logged
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 11:43:53 PM »

I am not aware of one church that has closed because the church didn't like gay marriage. I have heard of many that were closed because they had to be sold to pay settlements from the child abuse scandal.
Biro, do you honestly think that the powers that be will tolerate any "intolerance" from the RCs whether real or supposed? I'm with William on this.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:04 PM »

Catholic orphanages have been forced to close for refusing to allow gay couples to adopt.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 11:57:38 PM »

No, Conservative:
http://uscj.org/

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »

No, Conservative:

You realize Judaism strongly condemns homosexuality and homosexual marriage right? It's only the pretend Jews of the Reformed Judaism movement that accept it.
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »

No, Conservative:

You realize Judaism strongly condemns homosexuality and homosexual marriage right? It's only the pretend Jews of the Reformed Judaism movement that accept it.
Are you Jewish? If not then perhaps you don't know what you're talking about.

Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2013, 12:03:56 AM »

Conservative Judaism, while not being part of Reform Judaism, seems to vary between being closer to Orthodox or Reform.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2013, 12:05:43 AM »

No, Conservative:

I think this would have sufficed.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »

No, Conservative:

I think the Hebrew Scriptures, Talmud and Midrash speak pretty plainly. Pretend Jews just try to re-interpret them, or ignore them. They're no better than the Jews who worshiped the golden calf. They are the exact same as Pretend Christians.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 12:17:45 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2013, 12:21:52 AM »

I think the Hebrew Scriptures, Talmud and Midrash speak pretty plainly. Pretend Jews just try to re-interpret them, or ignore them. They're no better than the Jews who worshiped the golden calf. They are the exact same as Pretend Christians.
The point was that he is Conservative, and much of Conservative Judaism accepts it like Reform Judaism does.

That's why I said that Conservative Judaism varies between being closer to Orthodox (minority I think) and closer to Reform (majority), particularly on issues like these.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2013, 12:22:27 AM »

The point was that he is Conservative, and much of Conservative Judaism accepts it like Reform Judaism does.

That's why I said that Conservative Judaism varies between being closer to Orthodox (minority I think) and closer to Reform (majority), particularly on issues like these.

Then Conservative Judaism is just a fake and pretend as Reformed Judaism
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »

Whatever...but that really isn't the point of this thread.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2013, 12:28:30 AM »

Of course, modern Judaism itself is just fake since Orthodoxy is the true successor to Israel but that's beside the point. I'm sure pretend Jews like the Reformed and Conservatives are just going to destroy the Jewish faith and turn more of them to atheism, it's already been happening.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2013, 12:29:20 AM »

Of course, modern Judaism itself is just fake since Orthodoxy is the true successor to Israel but that's beside the point. I'm sure pretend Jews like the Reformed and Conservatives are just going to destroy the Jewish faith and turn more of them to atheism, it's already been happening.

Do you have a point other than spreading your misinformation-fueled absurdities?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2013, 12:32:38 AM »

In a way this circles back to us.  Christians have maltreated gays for centuries, instead of being charitable to them and helping them with their struggle, they were maligned and abused.  Now they have "rights" on their side, this is going back to bite us.  Because of our track record for handling this issue, no one is taking our side.

Christians who weren't being Christian at the time...

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2013, 12:33:25 AM »

I didn't realize the church had faced centuries of persecution by Anglican gay married guys.

Who do they mean, Elton John?

I feel persecuted every time I hear him sing.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2013, 12:34:55 AM »

Indeed.

Catholic adoption agencies ceased work in Massachusetts after gay marriage became legal there, I remember reading.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2013, 12:37:14 AM »

Disgusting how religious leaders care about legislation

Even more so how uncharitable these statements are

We should love and pray for the sinners, if gay marriage is somehow a cause for Christian persecution then it is our own fault for not showing love and compassion and doing what we can to make them want to seek repentance from their promiscuous and homosexual behavior

Good thing we're not RCs

We can and do show love and compassion, but some people want an endorsement and blessing for their behavior, and that we cannot give.

How is the position of the Orthodox Church with regard to homosexual activity any different than that of the Roman Catholic Church?

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 12:37:43 AM »

To pin the return of persecution on gay marriage is a bit wrong, gay marriage is just one symptom of a much larger problem.

Indeed.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2013, 12:40:43 AM »

There's apparently a trend of Orthodox Christians becoming gay Jews. I know at least three.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2013, 12:42:01 AM »

Do you have a point other than spreading your misinformation-fueled absurdities?

What would the Patron of Cigarette Manufacturers say?

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2013, 12:51:03 AM »

What would the Patron of Cigarette Manufacturers say?

Well he certainly wouldn't restrict his attacks to Reform Jews.

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2013, 02:35:30 AM »

I wouldn't put it impossible any european government to force churches to marry gay couples some time in the future.

Thank you.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2013, 05:19:33 AM »

I wouldn't put it impossible any european government to force churches to marry gay couples some time in the future.

To my knowledge no Orthodox churches in Britain conduct legal marriages (certainly I was told that the Ecumenical Patriarchate priests here need to see a marriage certificate first) and the same is actually true back in Romania. You have to bring your civil wedding certificate to the the priest before he will marry you. As long as that's the case, I fail to see how any government could force the Orthodox Church to 'marry' people of the same sex. Unfortunately for those churches, such as the Anglicans, that do conduct legal as well as religious marriage, I suspect you may be correct.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tallitot
Archon

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2013, 06:49:32 AM »

1054 priests signed it. How does that compare to the number of Catholics who coming forward with accounts of being sexually abused by priests?

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2013, 08:26:15 AM »

I agree completely; however, the social acceptance of homosexuality as normal is the chosen battle front from both sides and it appears strategy may not be the strongest quality of Christians.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: