OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:27:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ethiopian Traditions  (Read 19062 times) Average Rating: 0
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« on: December 31, 2004, 12:58:18 PM »

I recently read an article http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:LpAMQA7u9ogJ:magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0107/feature6/+aksum+Ark+&hl=en which I have in full at home in my collection of National Geographics; about 400 which I got at sale's and give-away's over the years. Well I noticed two things that interested me. One is the mention of long prayer sticks. Now I am familiar with knotted prayer ropes, as I think most of us are, and I recently found out about the lestovka of the Russian Old Ritualists, which can be bought here http://www.easternchristian.com/lestovka.html but I have never heard of prayer sticks. Here is a picture which shows some women holding them http://magma.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/data/2001/07/01/html/zm_20010701.6.1.html Are they at all like prayer ropes? Do they have notches for keeping track on reptitions? or are they just helpful when standing still for hours of prayer as I assume?

The other tradition I noticed, that is not listed online, is the Ethiopian belief in Zars or benign spirits that can be called upon. Is this simply a belief in angels that the western author of the article was not familiar with or is it something else?
Aklie Semaet could you help me with this?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 01:01:09 PM by Sabbas » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 03:47:35 PM »

It's my understanding that prayer sticks do have notches for keeping track of prayers as well as serving as a stick to lean on during services. I collect various prayer beads, rosaries etc; I have a lestovka (aka vervista) several RC rosaries, including one made of knotted twine, Anglican beads (one stone and one twine) and an ornate Ortodox prayer rope (100 knots).

Proverbs 22:7
Aklie Semaet

Thank God for my fiancée!

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2005, 05:53:28 AM »

Beseme Sellasie, Amen.

Greetings!

I have never heard of prayer sticks...Are they at all like prayer ropes? Do they have notches for keeping track on reptitions? or are they just helpful when standing still for hours of prayer as I assume?

You assume correct brother. Sometimes things just get hyped up in translation or in giving something a name in English. What national geographic calls a “prayer stick” is called a Makomiya in Ethiopia. Makomiya refers to standing or something to stand with. At the top of the stick is a T shape which you grip your fingers on. With that grip you rest your body on. Whereas a cane helps one to walk a makomiya helps one to stand for long periods of time. Since we stand during the liturgy many elders will have one. On some of our festival days where you are literally standing for 12 hours in church sometimes then everyone tries to grab a stick before they are all gone. People who go to Church to get the hours prayer very early and then stay on for the liturgy also like to hold the stick as well.

Monks carry prayer ropes with beads on them just as the Byzantine brethren do. AFAIK there is no difference with the traditions here.

The other tradition I noticed, that is not listed online, is the Ethiopian belief in Zars or benign spirits that can be called upon.

Now Zar is a different story all together. It is something that some women in remote rural areas apparently do. Zar is a widespread East African tradition that stretches from Sudan all the way to Kenya. I would not be surprised if the Nubians in Egypt had it as well. Muslims, Pagans, Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox all have folks engaged in this. The Church does not allow it. If there are people doing it (even if they are saying it has something to do with angels) is akin to Latin American Catholics still following indigenous Indian religious personalities while calling them Catholic saints. It is just wrong.

Ethiopia ijochwan wede Egzabiher tezregalech
Sabbas
Drink from your own wells
High Elder

St. Glicherie True Orthodox Church of Romania

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 07:02:25 PM »

Since we stand during the liturgy many elders will have one. On some of our festival days where you are literally standing for 12 hours in church sometimes then everyone tries to grab a stick before they are all gone

Geez that's a long time! At the mission I attend we have no pews so we stand. But we sit down on the floor during the homily so really we usually stand no longer than an two hours, if you come for Orthros, at a time usually. Though I have been a catechumen for only ten months I can say that the longest I ever remember standing in church was on Holy Saturday when we had an All-Night Vigil. I sat down several times during the night as others read from the psalter - we have benches for the elderly along the walls - but from about seven A.M. during the reading of the psalter, through Orthros, the Baptismal liturgy for two adults who were baptized, and Agape Vespers I stood up, about six hours I think. But we had a procession and moved about for the baptism so it was easier on the circulation than standing still. Still I was exhausted having not slept, but oddly my legs and back hurt less than usual.
I just don't know how you do it even with the prayer sticks! I honestly can't even imagine standing still for twelve hours.

I have a few more questions:
What is Pascha like in Ethiopian churches? Is there the receive the flame tradition? Does it take place at midnight? and
Do any Ethiopian churches in America have pews? It seems to me that in America amidst all the Protestant and Catholic churches it's impossible to convince most Orthodox to stand throughout the service when in church.

Thank you for your help!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2005, 07:03:17 PM by Sabbas » Logged

www.hungersite.com  Ãƒâ€šÃ‚  www.freedonation.com you can donate up to 20 times at freedonation.  http://www.pomog.org/ has online 1851 Sir Lancelot C.L. Brenton English translation of Septuagint.http://www.cnrs.ubc.ca/greekbible/ Original Koine Septuagint and New Testament.
Aklie Semaet

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 03:30:37 AM »

Geez that's a long time!

Okay so let me be clear as to avoid you having the wrong impression. That length of time is only on feast days and the end of long fasts such as the Lent fast. The liturgy is not that long. The 12 hours consists of singing spiritual songs, hymns, sermons, etc. and ends with the liturgy. There are times during this that you sit down. Also some people don’t attend the whole thing.

What is Pascha like in Ethiopian churches?

Pascha in Ethiopian Churches is a thing to experience. During the fast our Church music changes so that we have no drum, instead there is a harp type instrument. Celebration starts at the beginning of holy week and the Church drum is used. The whole thing ends with the midnight liturgy. We hold the torch (called twaf).

Do any Ethiopian churches in America have pews?

Our Churches in Ethiopia (with the exception of some of the modern cathedrals in the capital city) are made without pews.

All of the Ethiopian Churches in this country (except for one huge one in Dallas I believe) are actually bought property formerly owned by either Protestants of Roman Catholics (with a few purchased from Greek Orthodox) and in those cases the internal and external architecture is as it was before the purchase. They always have pews. A few Churches have managed to make some room in the front for people to stand while there are still pews in the back.

In my experience we always plan to build a church according to traditional architecture. We save the money, buy the land, have some architect draw up impressive blueprints—and then it is all shot down by the construction folks who tell us that making it would cost many more millions of dollars than we have.

I don’t know about Catholics but many Protestants think of Church as some kind of entertainment service. After some people have encountered one of their services they start complaining about liturgy being too long, standing up too much, no moralistic movie like the Prots have, etc. It does turn into a struggle to keep people standing up.

paul2004
Paul
Elder

OC.net

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 04:08:53 PM »

In Ethiopian and Indian Orthodox tradition, we are not allowed to wear shoes inside the church. How about the Byzantine tradition? We don't have pews in Indian Orthodox.

-Paul
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 05:51:39 PM »

I've only been in one Indian church in the US that didn't have pews, and that is my own parish.  Everyone else did; of course, in India, they are non-existent. 

The Armenians, in my very limited experience, allow shoes in church.  The Copts I've encountered will tolerate it (although you are encouraged to take them off for the whole Liturgy), but they insist you take them off before Communion.  In Indian churches with pews, the no shoe requirement has not been strictly enforced in all places. 

Having experienced several different traditions, I must say I prefer our traditional practice of no shoes or pews, and men and women standing on different sides of the church.  I won't condemn other practices, but I think this is the best. 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Aklie Semaet

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 06:04:10 PM »

The Armenians, in my very limited experience, allow shoes in church.

My experience is the same. One of our Churches had service in an Armenian Orthodox Church. We had liturgy early and then the Armenians came in and had theirs later. During the transition it was funny to watch Ethiopians walking around in socks and Armenians in shoes on the very same floor at the same time.

My question is this, and it may be a silly one. I read a lot on these boards about pews. In our Church even if there are pews people still have to stand up during the Liturgy and Prayer. Is that not generally the case? I mean pews just mean pews right? Not “it is okay to sit down.”
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 07:33:19 PM by Aklie Semaet » Logged

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 06:10:46 PM »

You are right.  In my experience, the pews are there, but people are expected to stand through most of the Liturgy (there are one or two instances when they can sit). 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:54 AM »

I have a question about Prayer beads or prayer ropes. In Ethiopian Orthodox tradition, how many beads should there be? Right now I have an Ethiopian cross attached to 50 black beads that are on a thin, black, knotted rope. I heard that 50 beads represents the 50 days between Our Lord's resurrection and Pentecost. I pray the Jesus Prayer with my beads. Is this correct to do? Are there other special prayers that I should pray with my beads? I do not want to be in error. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »

We've had a couple of threads dealing with prayer ropes and beads in the OO tradition:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13175.0.html

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,12740.msg173806.html#msg173806

(reply 18 in the above thread)

I don't think either thread dealt specifically with prayer ropes or beads in the Ethiopian tradition.  What you describe sounds almost more like a Coptic mequteria, although I'm not sure if they come with 50 beads:

http://www.chotkis.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=24&osCsid=fd6c945c7144af4f45609f45dc9990bd

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 06:29:40 PM »

With regard to the number of beads on the prayer rope, as long as you are praying the Jesus Prayer with sincerity and love for Christ, I don't think it should matter if it is 41, 50, 100, or some other number.  That's just my opinion though.  You may want to ask your spiritual father to see what he says you should do in your own prayer rule.

Aidan

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 11:16:07 AM »

There is, or used to be, an expression in English 'The weakest to the wall' referring, if I'm not mistaken to the days when there were pews around the walls for the aged and infirm. This was in mediaeval times and has long since fallen out of use as a practise except in Orthodox churches.

I find it odd to find pews in Coptic churches making prostration difficult.
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2009, 10:14:45 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

In Ethiopian orthodox tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41 and 64 beads. 41 is the number of lashes that jesus was whipped with and 64 is the age of our Mother the Blessed Virgin Mary. But some monks and hermits use 150 or 300 beads or even more than that.

When using the 41 beads, the prayer recited is:
1. The Lord's prayer with Gabriel's Salutation (12 times)
2. Lord have mercy on us (41 times)
3. In the name of Mary, Lord have mercy on us (41 times)
4. Kirya-layson (41 times)
5. Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas (41 times)
6. O! God (41 times)
7. O! Christ (41 times)
8. Save us from wrath and deliver us by your mercy, in the name of Mary Your Mother (41 times)
9. Hear us! Our God and Savior (41 times)
10. Elohe! (41 times)
11. Ye! Ye! Ye! My God see me! (41 times)
12. O! God according to your mercy and not according to our sin (12 times)
13. Lord remember us in thy Kingdom(12 times)
14. Hail Mary (7 times)

These 14 are common recitations by all those who use prayer beads. But one can add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using 64 beads all the 41s will be 64 and the others remain 12 and 7.

Hiywot.
HaileAmanuel
HaileAmanuel [Amanuel is my Power]

Faith: Coptic/Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahido/Non-Chalcedonian

He that is greatest among you will be your servant

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2009, 01:18:34 PM »

Dear Brother Hiywot,

Selamta!  It's so nice for you to translate these short, yet powerful prayers into English.  Not many of us (EOTC's) are willing to translate Ge'ez or Amharic to English for the benefit of others.   Perhaps we haven't (yet) realized the dire need for it...How many of us even know about Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera and Rodas [the names of the 5 nails/piercings that our Lord Christ suffered on Holy Friday]? Perhaps we haven't (yet) realized the dire need for it...

Are you a merigeta?  Please teach us...

Thank you again.

Sincerely in Christ our Lord,

haileamanuel

'He who is greatest among you, will be your servant [St. Matthew 23:11].'
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2009, 12:05:24 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

In Ethiopian orthodox tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41 and 64 beads. 41 is the number of lashes that jesus was whipped with and 64 is the age of our Mother the Blessed Virgin Mary. But some monks and hermits use 150 or 300 beads or even more than that.

6. O! God (41 times)
7. O! Christ (41 times)
8. Save us from wrath and deliver us by your mercy, in the name of Mary Your Mother (41 times)
10. Elohe! (41 times)
14. Hail Mary (7 times)

These 14 are common recitations by all those who use prayer beads. But one can add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using 64 beads all the 41s will be 64 and the others remain 12 and 7.

Hiywot.

I am DEEPLY, DEEPLY grateful to you for teaching us these prayers! And now I have this just in time for LENT!!! I trust that my pryaer life will be richly blessed by this, and I hope to develop the proper spiritual discipline to pray these prayers on a daily basis.

A couple of questions:

1. What is Gabriel's salutation? Is it "Peace be unto you?"

10. Is "Elohe" the same as Elohim? How do we pronounce this, "Elohee" or "Elohay?"

11. How is the Ye, Ye, Ye pronounced? Is it pronounced "Yee" or "Yay?"

14. Hail Mary. Do we just say "Hail Mary," or do we say the whole Hail Mary prayer?

I have been using a prayer rope with 50 beads, because I was told there a 50 days between Our Lord's resurrection and the Day of Pentecost. But I will change them now to either 41 or 64. Is 64 how old Our Lady was when she was taken to heaven?

Thank you again my dear brother! This is great information to have. My soul rejoices!!!

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »

In Ethiopian orthodox tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41 and 64 beads. 41 is the number of lashes that jesus was whipped with
Actually, he was whipped with 39 lashes. This is in keeping with Jewish law:

Quote from: Deutoronomy 25:1-3
When men have a dispute, they are to take it to court and the judges will decide the case, acquitting the innocent and condemning the guilty. If the guilty man deserves to be beaten, the judge shall make him lie down and have him flogged in his presence with the number of lashes his crime deserves, but he must not give him more than forty lashes. If he is flogged more than that, your brother will be degraded in your eyes.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 05:35:41 PM »

I thought it was the Romans who whipped Him.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »

In Ethiopian orthodox tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41 and 64 beads. 41 is the number of lashes that jesus was whipped with
Actually, he was whipped with 39 lashes. This is in keeping with Jewish law:

Quote from: Deutoronomy 25:1-3
When men have a dispute, they are to take it to court and the judges will decide the case, acquitting the innocent and condemning the guilty. If the guilty man deserves to be beaten, the judge shall make him lie down and have him flogged in his presence with the number of lashes his crime deserves, but he must not give him more than forty lashes. If he is flogged more than that, your brother will be degraded in your eyes.

One of our Ethiopian Orthodox Prayers is "The Thirteen Sufferings of The Cross of Our Lord God and Savior, Jesus Christ." Number 6 says: "Our Lord Was Slapped On The Cheek:
The Jews lined up one by one and agreed to slap Our Lord's face 41 times each. In their cruelty, they made a joke of the situation, and would intentionally miss count. They would start over many times, and repeat the numbers, resulting in each of them slapping him double or triple the amount. However, each time they hit him, they felt it on their own faces." [Daily Prayer Prepared by Deacon Youhannes Zekaryas]

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 05:45:14 PM »

The Jews and Romans were both responsible. But actually, it was ME who beat, whipped, spat upon, cursed, mocked, and crucified Our Lord.

"Lord Eyesus Kristos, Son of God, Have mercy upon me a sinner."

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 05:54:59 PM »

It was, but in order to keep peace with those they conquered, the Romans had a long-standing tradition of allowing some self-rule. In Palestine, the Romans kept Jewish law in punishing those who had broken Jewish law. Jesus Christ was accused of blasphemy, which is against Jewish law, but not Roman (it would not become against Roman law until the reign of Nero). Pilate had made it clear that he was not going to punish Christ, because Christ had broken no Roman law, so he turned Christ over to the Jewish authorities. They wanted Him flogged and crucified, and so Pilate obliged. But since it was a Jewish law that Christ had allegedly broken, Pilate could only flog Him 39 times, and also had to finish the crucifixion before sundown on Friday.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Hiywot

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2009, 09:12:21 AM »

Haile Amanuel:

Thank you for your encouraging remarks. I am not a merigeta. I am just sharing what I know and am also learning a lot from your and other posts in this forum. By the way, Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas are the names of the “five wounds” caused by the nails and the spear.

Yitterbiumanalyst:

Do you think that the Jews/Romans were so pitiful to Jesus that they followed rules when “punishing” Him?

Gebre Menfes Kidus:

1. Gabriel’s salutation is the following prayer:
"O! Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, for the Lord God is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he forgive us our sins now and forever Amen."

10. Elohe is pronounced as Elohee and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46.

11. Yes “Ye!”  is pronounced as “Yae”. Ye! is a Ge’ez word meaning “woe to me!”

14. The Hail Mary that I mentioned in No.14 is the following prayer:
"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen."

Finally, yes 64 is how old Our Lady was when she was taken away from this world.

Regards,

Hiywot

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »

Haile Amanuel:

Thank you for your encouraging remarks. I am not a merigeta. I am just sharing what I know and am also learning a lot from your and other posts in this forum. By the way, Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas are the names of the “five wounds” caused by the nails and the spear.

Yitterbiumanalyst:

Do you think that the Jews/Romans were so pitiful to Jesus that they followed rules when “punishing” Him?

Gebre Menfes Kidus:

1. Gabriel’s salutation is the following prayer:
"O! Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, for the Lord God is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he forgive us our sins now and forever Amen."

10. Elohe is pronounced as Elohee and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46.

11. Yes “Ye!”  is pronounced as “Yae”. Ye! is a Ge’ez word meaning “woe to me!”

14. The Hail Mary that I mentioned in No.14 is the following prayer:
"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen."

Finally, yes 64 is how old Our Lady was when she was taken away from this world.

Regards,

Hiywot

Thank you my dear brother! May God bless you this Lent.

How do you say "Blessed Lent" in Amharic? Is it "Melkam ___"

Tsebate YemaneBrhan was a disciple of Abuna Yesehaq. He was one of the Priests who participated at the funeral of Abuna Yesehaq.

Selam

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »

Yitterbiumanalyst:

No, I think the Jews were interested in keeping their law, and thus could not allow a blasphemer (in their eyes) to continue living, since it was obvious that He would not stop claiming to be God (and why should He?). It does not make sense for them to violate their law in punishing Christ for violating that same law.

I think the Romans were interested in covering their butts and therefore followed protocol. Palestine was such a volatile area at the time that Rome could not afford for the people to rise against them, and they were certainly afraid that any misstep would cause this.

That said, since this came up I have looked through the Gospels, and I find no record of a specific number of lashes Christ was given. I find only the Law indicating what should happen. Through this search I have found that something I believed to be true could actually be just a supposition.

Hiywot

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2009, 11:45:07 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus:
Blessed Lent in Amharic is “Yetebareke Abiy – tsom”
Yetebareke = Blessed
Abiy – tsom = Lent

I pray that you get the strength to be content in your spiritual journey and growth and to work with Tsebate YemaneBrhan in attracting and bringing many other souls back to their Wonderful Mother Church. 

ytterbiumanalyst:

I respect your supposition. The Jews/Romans for reason you explained tried to pretend to follow law/protocol, which in many instances, they were not able to. For example, they have overtly trespassed the ninth commandment which says: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” The gospel of Mark tells us that the chief priests were looking for false witnesses against Jesus to put him to death. They used bare false witnesses which in fact did not agree with each other to the fulfillment of Ps. 35:11 which says: “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.”

Regards,

Hiywot
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2009, 12:40:47 PM »

I respect your supposition. The Jews/Romans for reason you explained tried to pretend to follow law/protocol, which in many instances, they were not able to. For example, they have overtly trespassed the ninth commandment which says: “Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.” The gospel of Mark tells us that the chief priests were looking for false witnesses against Jesus to put him to death. They used bare false witnesses which in fact did not agree with each other to the fulfillment of Ps. 35:11 which says: “False witnesses did rise up; they laid to my charge things that I knew not.”
Indeed. And I respect your tradition, as well. At first I thought you surely were mistaken, but now I have come to see that the answer is not in Scripture, and therefore we must look elsewhere in tradition for our knowledge. Perhaps he was whipped 41 times, as your tradition maintains. This discussion has intrigued me enough that I'd like to see if I can find the answer.

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2009, 01:02:34 PM »

Perhaps he was whipped 41 times, as your tradition maintains.

I have read on several Coptic websites that the 41 Kyrie Eleisons said during the prayers of the Coptic Horlogion (Agpia) represent Christ's 39 lashes, the crown of thorns, and the lance.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 03:01:30 AM »

Dear Brother Hiywot,

Selamta!  It's so nice for you to translate these short, yet powerful prayers into English.  Not many of us (EOTC's) are willing to translate Ge'ez or Amharic to English for the benefit of others.   Perhaps we haven't (yet) realized the dire need for it...How many of us even know about Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera and Rodas [the names of the 5 nails/piercings that our Lord Christ suffered on Holy Friday]? Perhaps we haven't (yet) realized the dire need for it..

Thank you again.

Sincerely in Christ our Lord,

haileamanuel

Brothers Hiywot and HaileAmanuel:

Can you translate these 5 words into English: Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera and Rodas [the names of the 5 nails/piercings that our Lord Christ suffered on Holy Friday]? Are these Latin or Ge'ez words? I am interested to know their English meaning.

I also want to know if it is OK to chant/sing the EOTC Rosary prayers in English. I find that it has been helpful to my concentration to do this, but I do not want to be in error.

"Yetebareke Abiy-tsom"

Selam

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 05:52:54 PM »

Can you translate these 5 words into English: Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera and Rodas [the names of the 5 nails/piercings that our Lord Christ suffered on Holy Friday]? Are these Latin or Ge'ez words? I am interested to know their English meaning.

I did not even know that there were words for the nails/piercings that our Lord suffered.  Fascinating.  I don't think the Armenian Church has that tradition.  I would be interested in knowing the English translation also.

Hiywot

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2009, 04:58:02 AM »

According to the Ge’ez dictionary (Aleqa Kidanewold’s), the names Sador, Alador, Danat Adera, Rodas are Ge’ez words. “Sador” means the piercing on the ribs by the lancet; “Alador” means the piercing on the right hand; “Danat” means the piercing on the left palm; “Adera” means the piercing on right foot; and “Rodas” means the piercing on the left foot. In Amharic we use these names as in Ge’ez. This is because names are usually not translated but used as they are.

Yes, you can freely chant the mequteria prayers if you feel like chanting. You know what? Here, in Ethiopia every evening the faithful gather in churches and conduct a “mihila” prayer in which some of the mequteria prayers, such as numbers 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 from the list of 14 that I gave you earlier, are chanted (7 times each) with one person leading the chant and the others repeating what the leader says. Therefore, even though mequteria is traditionally used for individual prayers only, you can use some of its items for group chants by reducing the repetitions to 7 or 12 times each.

By the way, I personally don’t like to use the term “rosary” for our mequteria (prayer bead). Rosary for me is a catholic thing. Since we have a beautiful name for our prayer beads, i.e., mequteria, I think we should use this name with no need of borrowing a catholic term.

Regards,

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2009, 06:25:06 AM »

According to the Ge’ez dictionary (Aleqa Kidanewold’s), the names Sador, Alador, Danat Adera, Rodas are Ge’ez words. “Sador” means the piercing on the ribs by the lancet; “Alador” means the piercing on the right hand; “Danat” means the piercing on the left palm; “Adera” means the piercing on right foot; and “Rodas” means the piercing on the left foot. In Amharic we use these names as in Ge’ez. This is because names are usually not translated but used as they are.

Yes, you can freely chant the mequteria prayers if you feel like chanting. You know what? Here, in Ethiopia every evening the faithful gather in churches and conduct a “mihila” prayer in which some of the mequteria prayers, such as numbers 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, and 9 from the list of 14 that I gave you earlier, are chanted (7 times each) with one person leading the chant and the others repeating what the leader says. Therefore, even though mequteria is traditionally used for individual prayers only, you can use some of its items for group chants by reducing the repetitions to 7 or 12 times each.

By the way, I personally don’t like to use the term “rosary” for our mequteria (prayer bead). Rosary for me is a catholic thing. Since we have a beautiful name for our prayer beads, i.e., mequteria, I think we should use this name with no need of borrowing a catholic term.

Regards,

Hiywot

Thank you for this information! You are always very helpful in teaching us.

I have a prison ministry to about 30 Rastafarians who are in prison. Many of them are very interested in the EOTC Faith. I would like to lead them in these prayers. Is it OK to do the 41 repetitions, or should I limit it only to 7 or 12 when I am praying with them?

Thank you also for the correction on the term "Rosary." I will use the term "Mequteria" from now on.

Selam
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 06:26:31 AM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

Hiywot

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2009, 11:06:36 AM »

I have a prison ministry to about 30 Rastafarians who are in prison. Many of them are very interested in the EOTC Faith. I would like to lead them in these prayers. Is it OK to do the 41 repetitions, or should I limit it only to 7 or 12 when I am praying with them?

Yes it is OK to do the 41 repetitions as long as everybody is happy with it.

I envy you for your holy duty of prison ministry. I pray that God shower you with all the wisdom that you need in this great spiritual undertaking.

Sincerely,

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »

Yes it is OK to do the 41 repetitions as long as everybody is happy with it.

I envy you for your holy duty of prison ministry. I pray that God shower you with all the wisdom that you need in this great spiritual undertaking.

Sincerely,

Hiywot

Thank you for your prayers. I feel them.

Selam

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2009, 01:48:09 AM »

A tangent on the Sator Palindrome and its alleged connection to the words for the five Wounds of Christ was split off and moved here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20303.0.html

AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Christian
Jurisdiction: ArchDiocese Western Hemisphere

« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 06:58:09 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

6. O! God (41 times)
7. O! Christ (41 times)
10. Elohe! (41 times)
14. Hail Mary (7 times)

Hiywot.

Truly a Blessing to be here, I have so much to learn, and am just begining to catch up, I give thanks for all the wisdom and knowledge and guidance I am recieving, (ummm, should this be another post- AMde's Gratitude?- haha, plz ek no offense)
      Please let me know how to post properly, site the order...

It is wonderful to see this Prayers here, we use some of them in our ST. Gabriel Church as part of a Prayer of SOlemnity, ini association with Joel Chapter 2

Igzee'oo Meharine Kristos- 3x
lord have mercy on us,

Be'inte Igzine Mariam, Meharine Kristos- 3x
for the sake of Mary have mercy on us O Christ

Kyrie- elieson -3x
'lord have mercy upon us,'

' Yahdinine imme-atu, yizerene behmeritu- be'inte Mariam weleddatu- 3x
'oh Lord cover us with thy wings of mercy- for the sake of Mariam-

Sim'ane Amlakine weMedhanine 3x-
'hear us, our God and Saviour'

Oh Amlak- (oh God) 3x
Oh Kristos-  3x

and goes into a prayer  in a beautiful song about peace to our Lady, and probably for our Chrisian people and then we say Our Father and Our Mothers prayers...

although we may limit the number of repetitions due to time restrictions, our own place is pending, your prayers well appreciated...  Kidus Gabriel NJ EOTC.

Spiritually, your brother AMde Birhan

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing assunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.- HEB 4v12
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 07:42:28 PM »

Thank you my dear brother! May God bless you this Lent.

How do you say "Blessed Lent" in Amharic? Is it "Melkam ___"

Tsebate YemaneBrhan was a disciple of Abuna Yesehaq. He was one of the Priests who participated at the funeral of Abuna Yesehaq.

Selam
[/quote]

I have learned its Melkum ABiyee Tsome (?)

God Bless Tsebate YemaneBirhan- he in fact presided over the service in Jamaica where His EMminence is laid to rest, the service was beautiful, although I havent seen the entire taping, it will be prepared for distribution in due time...
        it is interesting to notice he has 'wings' on the shoulders of his garments/robes... can anyone (Hiwot?) tell me more about the meaning of them?
  I know he is a virgin priest, and is it true that a priest has to be a virgin to be ordained Bishop?  ANd were the APostles who were appointed Bishop all virgin as originators of the tradition if so?

May we recieve the Word of God in our Hearts and be converted unto Him. Amde

For the Word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing assunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.- HEB 4v12
Hiywot

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2009, 09:27:01 AM »

AmdeBirhan,

Here, in Ethiopia, I have never seen a winged church vestment. Therefore, I can not tell you why Tsebate is using it. May be other members who know about this could tell us why.

On your second point, to become a bishop what I know is that the nominee should be a monk. The Fetha negest (law of the kings) which is one of the books of the Synodos does not say that only a virgin should become a bishop.

Hiywot
AmdeBirhan
Pillar of Light

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2009, 12:46:11 PM »

Hiywot, thanks for reply...  after asking a few members, I came up with some answers of the 'wings', that they were related to St Tekle Hymanot, a symbol of purity and saintliness, and possibly were gifted from Abuna Yesehaq to Tsebate-   a symbol of high rank.  I hear he is like an Abbot, but I dont know so much about the titles and ranks and what they entail, although I heard he was as the head of a monastary (?did I hear correctly?).
      Yes you are right about the Fetha Negest, it says that a Bishop may be appointed who is lawfully married to one woman.
          Amde

Hiywot

« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2009, 02:51:19 AM »

AmdeBirhan,

Yes, not only the fitha-negest but the apostolic constitutions also say that a bishop should be married to a wife. But later documents like the Nicene canons indicate that a bishop should be a monk. I believe this is a wise decision of the Nicene fathers which, I sense, is based on St. Paul’s statement on 1Cor. 7:32-33 which says “…He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord. But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.”

Regards,

Hiywot
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2009, 11:31:23 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

6. O! God (41 times)
7. O! Christ (41 times)
10. Elohe! (41 times)
14. Hail Mary (7 times)

Hiywot.
I have highlighted the things I wish to discuss in the info above, because I would like to use this form of the Prayer Rope as well.

Is number 4 meant to be spelled Kyrie Eleison? If not, what does this mean in English?

What is the equivalent of number 5 in English?

What is number 10 in English? Is it related to Elohim in the Hebrew?

Is number 14, the Hail Mary, the Roman Catholic Hail Mary, or is the wording different in your Tradition?

I would love to hear back from you soon, so I may start using these prayers. Many Thanks, and God Bless!
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2009, 04:40:49 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

6. O! God (41 times)
7. O! Christ (41 times)
10. Elohe! (41 times)
14. Hail Mary (7 times)

Hiywot.
I have highlighted the things I wish to discuss in the info above, because I would like to use this form of the Prayer Rope as well.

Is number 4 meant to be spelled Kyrie Eleison? If not, what does this mean in English?

What is the equivalent of number 5 in English?

What is number 10 in English? Is it related to Elohim in the Hebrew?

Is number 14, the Hail Mary, the Roman Catholic Hail Mary, or is the wording different in your Tradition?

I would love to hear back from you soon, so I may start using these prayers. Many Thanks, and God Bless!

Good questions that I asked myself. The answers are posted elsewhere (sorry I can't remember exactly where). But here is what I know:

The Kirya-layson is the phonetic spelling of the "Kyrie Eleison."

The "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" are the names of the five wounds that Our Lord received at the Cross. (This is in no way to be confused with the occultic "Sator Square" with which some people erroneously associate it.)

The "Elohe" comes from Our Lord's cry at the Cross "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani!" (Elohe/"Eli" meaning "My God!")

The Hail Mary prayer in our Church is:

"O Our Lady, the Virgin St. Maryim
In St. Gabriel's greetings: 'Peace be unto you'
Holy and pure, O mother of the Almighty God
'Peace be unto you.'
Blessed art thou amongst women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Pray for us before Our Lord Jesus Christ
that He may forgive us for our sins. -Amen-"

Brothers Hiywot, HaileAmanuel, or AmdeBirhan can correct me if I have been incorrect in anything I stated.

But truly the Meqaturia Prayers are beautiful and mystically powerful. I'm glad you asked these questions, because since Lent I have shamefully neglected my prayer life. Now you have inspired me to get back on track. Give thanks!

Selam

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2009, 08:00:23 PM »

Good questions that I asked myself. The answers are posted elsewhere (sorry I can't remember exactly where). But here is what I know:

The Kirya-layson is the phonetic spelling of the "Kyrie Eleison."

The "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" are the names of the five wounds that Our Lord received at the Cross. (This is in no way to be confused with the occultic "Sator Square" with which some people erroneously associate it.)

The "Elohe" comes from Our Lord's cry at the Cross "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani!" (Elohe/"Eli" meaning "My God!")

The Hail Mary prayer in our Church is:

"O Our Lady, the Virgin St. Maryim
In St. Gabriel's greetings: 'Peace be unto you'
Holy and pure, O mother of the Almighty God
'Peace be unto you.'
Blessed art thou amongst women,
And blessed is the fruit of thy womb.
Hail Mary, full of grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Pray for us before Our Lord Jesus Christ
that He may forgive us for our sins. -Amen-"

Brothers Hiywot, HaileAmanuel, or AmdeBirhan can correct me if I have been incorrect in anything I stated.

But truly the Meqaturia Prayers are beautiful and mystically powerful. I'm glad you asked these questions, because since Lent I have shamefully neglected my prayer life. Now you have inspired me to get back on track. Give thanks!

Selam

Thanks to you my brother! Is Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas comparable to right hand, left hand, right foot, left foot, side, in English? Or am I wrong? Is the Hail Mary you posted above the whole prayer, or is " In St. Gabriel's greetings: 'Peace be unto you" a narrative on the prayer itself? Many Thanks, I hope to learn more!
Hiywot

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2009, 05:07:58 AM »

PoorFoolNicholas,

The answers to your questions are already there in replies 21 and 29 above. But let me use this chance to give further clarification.

1. The catholic “Hail Mary” is equivalent to our “Gabriel’s salutation” which is indicated on number 1 in the list with the Lord’s Prayer. But they are a little bit different in wording. We never pray the Lord’s Prayer separately without Gabriel’s salutation. Here is how Gabriel’s salutation is said:

"O! Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, for the Lord God is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he forgives us our sins now and forever Amen."

Since this is my own translation you can amend the statements that you feel are awkward.

2. The Hail Mary that is on number 14 is not the same as the catholic Hail Mary. It is a different prayer. May be I should have written it in a different way to avoid confusion. It is a short prayer to Mary which should always be followed by Mary’s prayer (The Mafnificat) of Luke 1:46. I think, on number 14, I should have said “the manificat” instead of “Hail Mary”. Any way it is the following prayer:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath holpen his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen.

Hiywot
PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 09:45:02 AM »

Thanks to all for the info on these prayers. I love them! I have put them all together for ease of use, and especially for those that speak English. Feel free to critique what I have done:

Ethiopian Orthodox Prayers

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41, and 64 beads, also known as a Mequteria. 41 is the number of lashes that Jesus received and 64 is the age of the Theotokos at her Assumption. Some monks and hermits use 150 to 300 beads, or even more than that.

When using the 41 bead Mequteria , the prayers recited are:

1. The Lord's Prayer with Gabriel's Salutation:

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he may forgive us our sins now and forever Amen." (12 times)

4. Kyrie Elieson (41 times)

5. Sador (piercing on the ribs by the lancet), Alador (the piercing on the right hand), Danat (the piercing on the left palm), Adera (the piercing on right foot), Rodas (the piercing on the left foot) (41 times)

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

10. Elohe! (Pronounced as “Elohee” and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46) (41 times)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! (Pronounced as “Yae” meaning “woe to me”) My God see me! (41 times)

13. Lord remember us in thy Kingdom (12 times)

14. The Magnificat:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother, and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)

These are the 14 common recitations by all those who use the Mequteria. One can, however, add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using a 64 bead Mequteria all the prayers recited 41 times, will instead, be recited 64 times. Those prayers recited 7, or 12 times remain the same.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 09:46:17 AM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Hiywot

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 04:36:31 AM »

Thanks to all for the info on these prayers. I love them! I have put them all together for ease of use, and especially for those that speak English. Feel free to critique what I have done:

Ethiopian Orthodox Prayers

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41, and 64 beads, also known as a Mequteria. 41 is the number of lashes that Jesus received and 64 is the age of the Theotokos at her Assumption. Some monks and hermits use 150 to 300 beads, or even more than that.

When using the 41 bead Mequteria , the prayers recited are:

1. The Lord's Prayer with Gabriel's Salutation:

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he may forgive us our sins now and forever Amen." (12 times)

4. Kyrie Elieson (41 times)

5. Sador (piercing on the ribs by the lancet), Alador (the piercing on the right hand), Danat (the piercing on the left palm), Adera (the piercing on right foot), Rodas (the piercing on the left foot) (41 times)

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

10. Elohe! (Pronounced as “Elohee” and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46) (41 times)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! (Pronounced as “Yae” meaning “woe to me”) My God see me! (41 times)

13. Lord remember us in thy Kingdom (12 times)

14. The Magnificat:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother, and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)

These are the 14 common recitations by all those who use the Mequteria. One can, however, add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using a 64 bead Mequteria all the prayers recited 41 times, will instead, be recited 64 times. Those prayers recited 7, or 12 times remain the same.

Wow! That is great.

Hiywot
Tags: Ethiopian Orthodox Church icons iconography rosary chotki prayer rope Jesus Prayer mequteria Oriental Orthodox prayers Lord's Prayer 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: