OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:31:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: icons again...  (Read 3053 times) Average Rating: 0
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:33 PM »

Those who do not venerate Christ in His images will never do so when He appears in person.

Priceless! A pearl among the dross! Venerating icons is not about culture, it's about honoring God and affirming His Incarnation.
вєликаго

Faith: Drevlepravoslavie (Old Orthodox) STRANNIKI
Jurisdiction: Lipovan

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »

Quote from: Jason.Wike
Orthodoxy has made stuff necessary that really isn't and all the argument for it are bollocks.

Yeah, that wacky St. John of Damascus, writing his treatises for fun...  Roll Eyes

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/basis/johndamascus-images.asp

Watch your mouth.

Thanks for sharing this. I hope the Original Poster takes the time to look at it.

St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08:29 PM »

Just be sure if you do venerate/kiss an icon of our savior, that you really mean it.   Otherwise.... Judas comes to mind.

I do not kiss or venerate icons (often) myself, but I absolutely hold respect for the saints, personages, angels, or our God they depict.   I struggle with this subject as well.  It's like I can't get my head around it.

If my own mind can't get around it, and I'm not all there, I refrain in fear of a deceiving veneration.

Interestingly, when I witnessed a weeping icon, I did venerate that in fullness.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:13:22 PM by yeshuaisiam » Logged

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 10:36:21 PM »

Those who do not venerate Christ in His images will never do so when He appears in person.

This is non-sense and the kind of thing that makes it worse for me. Its a fallacy.

The real Image of Christ is in living people not planks of wood or some half baked theology of "windows to heaven" ripped off of some Hellenistic philosophy.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:36:40 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 10:39:36 PM »

Yep, it is a religious action formed by the culture it was in. I'm not really sure why that matters. Refusing to practice the faith because you don't like the culture it is expressed through would be phyletism.

Because pretending to be a Roman has nothing to do with being a Christian, yet it is not optional to believe in venerating icons or doing the act. Orthodoxy has made stuff necessary that really isn't and all the argument for it are bollocks.

But being a Roman does have to do with being a Christian because that is the historical reality. Trying to find the "pure" Christianity by divorcing the religion from all of the historical, political or cultural factors that has shaped it is naive and pointless. Unless you can demonstrate that icon veneration is contrary to some inherent Christian principle, there is no reason to not do it other than YOUR OWN cultural chauvinism.

I mean, if there was something inherently against icon veneration in American culture then some economy could be called for. And speaking as an American who goes to a 1/3rd American convert parish, there simply isn't. Judging by your new faith tag, this seems more of a front for your apostasy.

Apostasy? I'm a Christian, I'm just not buying this thing anymore. Also I was never baptized so I can't be called an 'apostate'.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:40:25 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 10:47:04 PM »

This is non-sense and the kind of thing that makes it worse for me. Its a fallacy.

The real Image of Christ is in living people not planks of wood or some half baked theology of "windows to heaven" ripped off of some Hellenistic philosophy.

Uh-oh, here we go.

Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:07 PM »

Uh-oh, here we go.

Roll Eyes

Well, want do you want when people keep making dictums that are logic fallacies like "If you won't do x, you won't do y" or "If you don't do x, you deny x?" They're non-sense but people keep spouting them like they are logical progressions of ideas and it does nothing but make me start to detest icons apart from the issue of venerating them.
вєликаго

Faith: Drevlepravoslavie (Old Orthodox) STRANNIKI
Jurisdiction: Lipovan

« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2012, 11:05:03 PM »

Uh-oh, here we go.

Roll Eyes

Well, want do you want when people keep making dictums that are logic fallacies like "If you won't do x, you won't do y" or "If you don't do x, you deny x?" They're non-sense but people keep spouting them like they are logical progressions of ideas and it does nothing but make me start to detest icons apart from the issue of venerating them.

I can totally sympathize with you on this. All the same, I do think you seem to misunderstand ikons. I humble request you at least try and respect other peoples beliefs.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:06:13 PM by вєликаго » Logged

St. Meletius the Confessor – Submit not yourselves to monastics, nor to presbyters, who teach lawless things and evilly propound them. And why do I say only monastics or presbyters? Follow not even after bishops who guilefully exhort you to do and say and believe things that are not profitable. What
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »

Uh-oh, here we go.

Roll Eyes

Oh dear, I do hope this conversation is not the reason your signature indicates that you have left the forum. Lord, have mercy. I hope and pray that things get better for you, Jason.

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 08:44:26 AM »

Most people here in this thread don't seem to have a problem with the concept of respecting Christ and the Saints. They don't seem to have a problem with the existence of icons. Nor do I think any would blatantly disrespect an icon. My question to those who have a problem with the traditional Orthodox manner of showing honour to Christ and His Saints (i.e. bowing and kissing): what is your suggestion for showing honour and respect (in other words, veneration) in this situation?
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:37 AM »

Yep, it is a religious action formed by the culture it was in. I'm not really sure why that matters. Refusing to practice the faith because you don't like the culture it is expressed through would be phyletism.

Because pretending to be a Roman has nothing to do with being a Christian, yet it is not optional to believe in venerating icons or doing the act. Orthodoxy has made stuff necessary that really isn't and all the argument for it are bollocks.

But being a Roman does have to do with being a Christian because that is the historical reality. Trying to find the "pure" Christianity by divorcing the religion from all of the historical, political or cultural factors that has shaped it is naive and pointless. Unless you can demonstrate that icon veneration is contrary to some inherent Christian principle, there is no reason to not do it other than YOUR OWN cultural chauvinism.

I mean, if there was something inherently against icon veneration in American culture then some economy could be called for. And speaking as an American who goes to a 1/3rd American convert parish, there simply isn't. Judging by your new faith tag, this seems more of a front for your apostasy.

Apostasy? I'm a Christian, I'm just not buying this thing anymore. Also I was never baptized so I can't be called an 'apostate'.

You can't really be called a Christian, either.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 02:44:49 PM »

You can't really be called a Christian, either.

I'm still getting responses in my inbox. Postponing baptism till no one knows when isn't Christian either.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 03:25:19 PM »

Hey Jason,

Can you tell us which hellenistic philosophy is being ripped off with icon veneration, and where we can find some philosophical texts that refer to it?

Also, I thought you said it was a Roman practice. Is it just Roman, or is it Hellenistic? And you never addressed my posts on page 1.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 03:26:07 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »

There were icons in the Jewish Temple. I'm pretty sure the Orthodox Jews of the time resisted Hellenization, so if anything was continued, it was Jewish practice. And since God told the Israelites to make the Ark of the Covenant and the Temple, I'm fine with it.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

There were icons in the Jewish Temple. I'm pretty sure the Orthodox Jews of the time resisted Hellenization, so if anything was continued, it was Jewish practice. And since God told the Israelites to make the Ark of the Covenant and the Temple, I'm fine with it.
Hellenization is bad. Burn your astrolabes.

if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #60 on: June 19, 2012, 03:52:16 PM »

Priceless! A pearl among the dross! Venerating icons is not about culture, it's about honoring God and affirming His Incarnation.

Pithy sure (Shanghaiski's post, though I do enjoy yours as I like a mixed metaphor as much as the next guy). Accurate, absolutely not.

I know your fetish for icons but do you really believe that while not sufficient for salvation (or maybe your fetishism is so great that you could spin it that way), the veneration of an icon is a necessary condition for salvation? (To use the pallid, non-cryptic language of this board.)

(Enjoy.)

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 03:53:17 PM »

Another thing Greek it took Arabs to perfect.

NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 04:29:18 PM »

With the help of Alexandrian Hellenized Jews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_Museum_Hebrew_astrolabe.jpg

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 04:37:01 PM »

With the help of Alexandrian Hellenized Jews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:British_Museum_Hebrew_astrolabe.jpg

Zionist propaganda.

akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #64 on: June 19, 2012, 08:08:59 PM »

Hey Jason,

Can you tell us which hellenistic philosophy is being ripped off with icon veneration, and where we can find some philosophical texts that refer to it?

Also, I thought you said it was a Roman practice. Is it just Roman, or is it Hellenistic? And you never addressed my posts on page 1.

He wouldn't answer my much simpler and twice-iterated question, so I shall wish you good luck with this endeavour, sir.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Tgebar

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

This is the edge now, it's all we're living for.

« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:51 PM »

Sometimes putting away the old man means doing or accepting something that you cannot reconcile rationally, emotionally, or physically. We can't measure the validity of everything by how well it jives with our constructed personas.

Smiley
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #66 on: June 20, 2012, 09:04:35 AM »

Sometimes putting away the old man means doing or accepting something that you cannot reconcile rationally, emotionally, or physically. We can't measure the validity of everything by how well it jives with our constructed personas.

Or with our preconceived ideas, pet theories and personal biases.

Well said.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 11:54:48 AM »

Just be sure if you do venerate/kiss an icon of our savior, that you really mean it.   Otherwise.... Judas comes to mind.

I do not kiss or venerate icons (often) myself, but I absolutely hold respect for the saints, personages, angels, or our God they depict.   I struggle with this subject as well.  It's like I can't get my head around it.

If my own mind can't get around it, and I'm not all there, I refrain in fear of a deceiving veneration.

Interestingly, when I witnessed a weeping icon, I did venerate that in fullness.

So you venerated the magic around the icon, not the icon itself...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
HouseOfGod
Passionate Orthodox teenager

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #68 on: June 20, 2012, 11:58:43 AM »

Just be sure if you do venerate/kiss an icon of our savior, that you really mean it.   Otherwise.... Judas comes to mind.

So you venerated the magic around the icon, not the icon itself...
I'd second that point Smiley

Renewal during the first month of the new ecclesiastical calendar! Smiley
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #69 on: June 20, 2012, 12:29:01 PM »

Why does the command against graven images say not to make idols of things "in the waters below"?

Because Almighty God in his great wisdom knew that one day American Evangelicals would plaster tacky Jesus Fishes all over their cars.
Priceless
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #70 on: July 07, 2012, 11:18:17 PM »

you wouldn't mind quoting that Hellenistic philosophy on that, would you?  (a trick question.  I know you can't).

So, you won't give Christ the honor He gave to Caesar?
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 11:18:44 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #71 on: July 07, 2012, 11:19:30 PM »

If you were never baptized, you can't even claim to be Christian.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #72 on: July 07, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »

Venerating icons is just way too foreign for me and I can't do it anymore. I've been trying to go to church now that I have a lighter schedule but it just stops me from going. I know people will dismiss this as "Protestant" influence but no, its not, I wasn't raised a Protestant and I can count the number of times I've been in a Protestant church on my hands. Its just foreign to me as a human. I've never kissed a picture of a family member or any of the other bizarre examples people give (sorry if you do that all the time, but the vast majority of people don't). And nothing I've seen in defense of this has convinced me it is important to venerate them.

Probably everything I've seen for it was from Romans that say things that are not applicable to modern people, and which come from human reasoning such as "Everyone gives honor to images of the Emperors" which don't apply today, and also introduce practices by way of reasoning rather than actually being Christ's instruction handed down.

The Christians that were outside Imperial influence like the Assyrians don't do it, and the claim that it is because Muslims stopped them is non-sense as their Catholic, OO and EO neighbors were not stopped. In other places like the British Isles the only icons that ever existed were in a few priceless manuscripts that certainly no one venerated, and they got along just fine. Its just Roman, and in the end it is foreign to me and I can't do it anymore.
The Syriac Orthodox and the Antiochian Orthodox, living side by side with the Nestorians, outside the Empire of the Romans, did and do. And yes, they were stopped by the Muslims, or rather, the Muslims tried to stop it.  St. John of Damascus, the great defender on the Holy Images, lived his entire life in the caliphate, and was persecuted for defending the icons.

And all of the New Testament was from the world of the Romans.  So you are out of luck, render unto Caesar and all.

And the Nestorians used to venerate them, as can be shown by their own records.  Further, the Nestorians still venerate the Cross.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »

Sorry, you and the other poster that have decided I'm not Christian are wrong. If someone desires to be baptized and are kept from it, they are counted as Christian according to all the church fathers. You can't undo my faith by decree. You really think you can say all the non-stop prayer I have made to god for years is meaningless and I am not Christian - I'm never stepping back in an Orthodox church again, it is the church of hell. That's my nice response.
 40 days of moderation - MK.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:18:02 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2012, 12:19:29 AM »

Sorry, you and the other poster that have decided I'm not Christian are wrong. If someone desires to be baptized and are kept from it, they are counted as Christian according to all the church fathers. You can't undo my faith by decree. You really think you can say all the non-stop prayer I have made to god for years is meaningless and I am not Christian - I'm never stepping back in an Orthodox church again, it is the church of hell. That's my nice response.

Anyone who would say that is definitely not a Christian.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2012, 12:40:16 AM »

How can you be Christian without baptism?  Maybe I missed it somewhere?  And why the gall towards the Orthodox Church?  How have you been offended by the Church?
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2012, 12:53:32 AM »

How can you be Christian without baptism?  Maybe I missed it somewhere?  And why the gall towards the Orthodox Church?  How have you been offended by the Church?

Are catechumens and those desiring baptism not Christian? And the gall is because of the idea you guys have that you can declare someone not Christian because they're not baptised, and basically saying their entire life and soul is a sham, - especially when the Orthodox church puts zero urgency on actually baptizing people.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 12:54:19 AM by Jason.Wike » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2012, 12:59:40 AM »

How can you be Christian without baptism?  Maybe I missed it somewhere?  And why the gall towards the Orthodox Church?  How have you been offended by the Church?

I dunno about the Church but I could see how he could take offense by some of idiotic comments in this thread and others.

Jason, ask yourself sincerely, if threads like these have painted your view of the OC, if so, quit reading this place for a while. The piety and stupidity around here will kill nearly anyone.

Best of luck Jason.  

SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2012, 01:02:39 AM »

How can you be Christian without baptism?  Maybe I missed it somewhere?  And why the gall towards the Orthodox Church?  How have you been offended by the Church?

Are catechumens and those desiring baptism not Christian?

An appropriate analogy: If I go to college and drop out, can I call myself college educated?  I don't have a diploma.

And the gall is because of the idea you guys have that you can declare someone not Christian because they're not baptised,

If I became a cathechumen, I expect to be baptized.  If I stop being a cathechumen, I stop the path to baptism and return to the state I was before becoming a cathecumen.  I can't call myself a Christian until I've buried my old self and renewed myself through Baptism, Chrismation and Communion.

and basically saying their entire life and soul is a sham,

Your life and soul are not shams.  You're being hard on yourself.

- especially when the Orthodox church puts zero urgency on actually baptizing people.

Baptism is a serious thing and the Church wants to make sure that cathecumens are properly prepared.  Another analogy: I buy a car; I don't receive the cleaned and prepped car until the financing has been approved and the car has been paid for.

The analogies have their focus on preparation which is what being a cathecumen is about.  I don't know if icons are what caused you to stop being a cathecumen; keep in mind that veneration of icons is a fundamental tenet of the Orthodox Church.  Other Christian denominations do not use icons or deemphasize them.  I don't know what others have said on this forum; do not let this forum inoculate you from Christ.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2012, 01:06:10 AM by SolEX01 » Logged
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2012, 01:39:10 AM »

Sorry, you and the other poster that have decided I'm not Christian are wrong.

You are not in the Church-or for that matter, any Church-and hence have no say in the matter. You can claim you are Napoleon for what it matters.

If someone desires to be baptized and are kept from it, they are counted as Christian according to all the church fathers.
but, as you make clear, that is not your situation.

You can't undo my faith by decree.
nothing evidently to undo.

You really think you can say all the non-stop prayer I have made to god for years is meaningless and I am not Christian - I'm never stepping back in an Orthodox church again, it is the church of hell. That's my nice response.
nicely proving that your non-stop prayer was meaningless.

ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »

Are catechumens and those desiring baptism not Christian? And the gall is because of the idea you guys have that you can declare someone not Christian because they're not baptised, and basically saying their entire life and soul is a sham, - especially when the Orthodox church puts zero urgency on actually baptizing people.
Don't know what you are talking about: three months wait for my sons' baptism was a long one.

Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2012, 01:59:04 AM »

Let's see: I went to church semi-regularly for two years as a catechumen. I started missing church with economia a year ago because of school and a new job that I desperately needed to do. After the first month baptism, or any catechism or anything at all was never mentioned again. Its great that your son was baptized.

but, as you make clear, that is not your situation.

How? I still desire baptism, I just don't believe the things you guys believe is actually Christianity.

As for my invective it is no more than what your Saints and you yourselves say about churches you claim are false. So if that makes me not Christian you guys are SOL hypocrites.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2012, 03:57:12 PM »

Let's see: I went to church semi-regularly for two years as a catechumen. I started missing church with economia a year ago because of school and a new job that I desperately needed to do. After the first month baptism, or any catechism or anything at all was never mentioned again.

Did you fall off the face of the earth (or to put it in better terms, lose contact with your church?  your Priest?)?

How? I still desire baptism, I just don't believe the things you guys believe is actually Christianity.

Reciting the Nicene Creed as a piece of literature is one thing; you have to recite the Nicene Creed at Baptism on the path to becoming a Christian.

As for my invective it is no more than what your Saints and you yourselves say about churches you claim are false. So if that makes me not Christian you guys are SOL hypocrites.

May God Bless You.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2012, 05:05:15 PM »

Thread locked indefinitely.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: