OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 11:43:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is dogma?  (Read 1067 times) Average Rating: 0
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:07:48 PM »

PS: I have downloaded the document you provided and will read it this afternoon.

I think i'd like to do this one step at a time.  So let's take a look at the first paragraph: 

Dogmas become authoritative decrees.  Connected with presence of HS.  They communicate the experience and understanding of the church, of who is God.  They are grounded in God’s revelation as we find it in the Scriptures and as it was lived by the church, especially in its liturgical assembly.

Any opposition to this? 

Fr. Aidan? 

Father, do you think it might be helpful to start a new thread, perhaps under a title like "What is dogma?" 

PS: I have downloaded the document you provided and will read it this afternoon.

I think i'd like to do this one step at a time.  So let's take a look at the first paragraph: 

Dogmas become authoritative decrees.  Connected with presence of HS.  They communicate the experience and understanding of the church, of who is God.  They are grounded in God’s revelation as we find it in the Scriptures and as it was lived by the church, especially in its liturgical assembly.

Any opposition to this? 

Fr. Aidan? 

Father, do you think it might be helpful to start a new thread, perhaps under a title like "What is dogma?" 

I second this suggestion.

M.

So here we are!  Hopefully we will get to a better understanding

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 01:04:01 PM »

I think we need to address what "authoritative decrees" means.  Also "connected...[to what?] [with, in, by] the presence [power] of the Holy Spirit"...and also which of the powers of the Holy Spirit is/are in exercise in the development of dogmatic statements?

Need to answer the question:  Do dogma do more than communicate experience and understanding?  Do they communicate all at once all that can be known?  Do they communicate once and for all, for all times the best and most exhaustively possible articulation of a truth?

There are more questions on the final ecclesiastical question above which begins "They are grounded in God's revelation..." for that is essentially a question of ecclesiology...I think.

M.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:12:43 PM by elijahmaria » Logged

akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR (Western Rite)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 01:57:38 PM »

Fr Nebojsa, I have just read quickly through your notes on dogma (I presume that your instructor was Fr Emmanuel Clapsis).  I find myself in strong agreement with most of what you have written.  Of course, I have not received formal Orthodox theological training, so my agreement plus $2.25 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.  Smiley

I suspect that most Catholic theologians today would also agree with your notes.  Of course, they would not want to restrict the dogmas of the Church to the first seven ecumenical councils, and they would want to distinguish various levels of authoritative doctrine, and they would want assert the authority of the Bishop of Rome to authoritatively speak in the name of the Church, and they would want to nuance the question of ecclesial reception, etc., etc.  But on the whole I don't think there would be serious dispute with your substantive presentation.  For example, take a look at Cardinal Dulles's essay "Dogma as an Ecumenical Problem."

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:53:04 PM »

Fr Nebojsa, I have just read quickly through your notes on dogma (I presume that your instructor was Fr Emmanuel Clapsis).  I find myself in strong agreement with most of what you have written.  Of course, I have not received formal Orthodox theological training, so my agreement plus $2.25 will get you a coffee at Starbucks.  Smiley

I suspect that most Catholic theologians today would also agree with your notes.  Of course, they would not want to restrict the dogmas of the Church to the first seven ecumenical councils, and they would want to distinguish various levels of authoritative doctrine, and they would want assert the authority of the Bishop of Rome to authoritatively speak in the name of the Church, and they would want to nuance the question of ecclesial reception, etc., etc.  But on the whole I don't think there would be serious dispute with your substantive presentation.  For example, take a look at Cardinal Dulles's essay "Dogma as an Ecumenical Problem."

Why have you been holding back Padre!!  This is EXACTLY the question I myself have been asking (that you provided a great article to!).  p.s.  Yes I had Fr. Clapsis, didn't realize Starbucks brought down their prices  Wink

A few points from the article you linked to above: 

The Church has solemnly proclaimed all these doctrines to be of faith, that is to say, truths revealed by God himself and necessary for salvation.

This is why I believe your statement here is problematic: 
Of course, they would not want to restrict the dogmas of the Church to the first seven ecumenical councils

I also think that Isa may be on to something when he says that the IC for example is not revealed in the NT, nor is Purgatory, etc. 

and they would want to distinguish various levels of authoritative doctrine

That's just a no-brainer to me:  No.  I would never want to have to explain that in the way that I have read it based on the articles you linked to in the other thread.  It's not only complicated, it seems (and IMO) and is fabricated. 

and they would want assert the authority of the Bishop of Rome to authoritatively speak in the name of the Church

i'd prefer to cover this one last. 

and they would want to nuance the question of ecclesial reception

I don't even know what that is. 

Time to get back to that article you so timely found.   Wink Grin angel

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:03:24 PM »

I also wanted to point this out from the same article, page 402 (pg 6 in the pdf)

Because revelation is eschatological, dogma always points to a future disclosure beyond all history

If dogma is always eschatalogical then there's always going to be a way to be able to find middle ground.  IMO

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 07:01:26 PM »

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known" (1 Cor 13:12).

Apotheoun
"Three realities pertain to God: essence, energy, and the triad of divine hypostaseis." St. Gregory Palamas
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Melkite Catholic

St. John Maximovitch

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2012, 10:59:32 PM »

A couple texts to ponder:

Revelation, Philosophy and Theology - by Fr. Florovsky

A Talk given at the University of North Carolina - by Fr. John Behr

"All that the Father has belongs likewise to the Son, except Causality."
St. Gregory Nazianzen

"We should believe that divine grace is present in the icon of Christ and that it communicates sanctification to those who draw near with faith."
St. Theodore Studite
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 12:07:26 AM »

I'm not a sola scriptura-ist, so I don't necessarily think something has to be spelled out in so many words in the Bible for it to be valid. There are such things as implications and logical extrapolations.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 12:14:13 AM »

Dogma is what is covered here:
Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.
if it doesn't pass this litmus test, it's not dogma.  Nor will it ever be.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 04:47:31 AM »

In Orthodox Christianity, dogma are articles of faith that must be believed in order to attain salvation.  These articles of faith are founded in scripture and are propounded by Ecumenical Synods (Councils), accepted by the greater church, both clergy and laity, and confirmed by a subsequent Ecumenical Synod or an assembly of hierarchial representatives (such as patriarchs or other primates, first hierarchs, heads) of the Holy Orthodox Churches.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 04:50:00 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »

I also wanted to point this out from the same article, page 402 (pg 6 in the pdf)

Because revelation is eschatological, dogma always points to a future disclosure beyond all history

If dogma is always eschatalogical then there's always going to be a way to be able to find middle ground.  IMO

Haven't been able to spend much time on the forum the last couple of days, but I wanted to follow up on this. While I believe I understand Fr. akimel's reference to 1 Cor. 13, could one of you explicate what you think the actual *practical* consequences of the assertion that 'dogma is always eschatological' is?

Take for example, the basic dogma: "I believe in One God, the Father Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, and of all things visible and invisible."
In what way is this dogma 'eschatological'. In what way would understanding it as 'eschatalogical' lead to any different understanding than if eschatology was not even brought into the picture?

It has always been my understanding, contra Fr. serb1389's statement above, that dogmas, from an Orthodox perspective, are exactly those things about which compromise is *not* possible. Thus St. Cyril could 'compromise' with John of Antioch on the terminology by which the Divine and Human in the Incarnation is described, but could not compromise or find a middle ground with Nestorius because as far as the dogma of the Incarnation, Nestorius was simply wrong.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 12:13:54 PM »

I'm not a sola scriptura-ist, so I don't necessarily think something has to be spelled out in so many words in the Bible for it to be valid. There are such things as implications and logical extrapolations.

I'm not a sola scriptura-ist either, but I was raised by them and they would have no particular problem with your statement. 'Sola scriptura-ists' recognize implied meaning and necessary inference as valid parts of their hermeneutic (indeed, most of the divisions between conservative Protestant sects is specifically over what is actually a necessery inference or valid logical extrapolation and what is not).

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 02:01:43 PM »

Haven't been able to spend much time on the forum the last couple of days, but I wanted to follow up on this. While I believe I understand Fr. akimel's reference to 1 Cor. 13, could one of you explicate what you think the actual *practical* consequences of the assertion that 'dogma is always eschatological' is?

Orthodox theology, I think, has a deep understanding of what Paul Evdokimov refers to as the apophatic dimension of doctrine:

In affirming a doctrine, we must always have in view the principle of apophatic theology.  Every human affirmation is a negation of itself, because it never reaches the ultimate depth, never achieves fullness, and it is this basic insufficiency which denies it.  For St Gregory of Nyssa the words, "no one shall see me and live" (Exod. 33.20), signify the mortal danger of limiting God by human definitions. ... Thus human thoughts are inadequate, for all human utterance is contradictory in continually purporting to say more than it actually contains; every thought once put into words, fixed and given objectivity, becomes a lie because of the poverty of its expression. (Orthodoxy, pp. 180-181)

Or in the words of St Hilary of Poitiers:

But the errors of heretics and blasphemers force us to deal with unlawful matters, to scale perilous heights, to speak unutterable words, to trespass on forbidden ground. Faith ought in silence to fulfil the commandments, worshipping the Father, reverencing with Him the Son, abounding in the Holy Ghost, but we must strain the poor resources of our language to express thoughts too great for words. The error of others compels us to err in daring to embody in human terms truths which ought to be hidden in the silent veneration of the heart.

What this means practically can only be assessed on a case by case basis.  This doesn't mean that the central tenets of the faith are optional--their binding truth has been long confirmed in the life and experience of the Church--but it does mean that we need to be aware of the limitations, inadequacies, and even dangers of dogmatic definition. 

serb1389
Global Moderator
Merarches

FrNPantic
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 02:32:28 PM »

Orthodox theology, I think, has a deep understanding of what Paul Evdokimov refers to as the apophatic dimension of doctrine:

In affirming a doctrine, we must always have in view the principle of apophatic theology.  Every human affirmation is a negation of itself, because it never reaches the ultimate depth, never achieves fullness, and it is this basic insufficiency which denies it.  For St Gregory of Nyssa the words, "no one shall see me and live" (Exod. 33.20), signify the mortal danger of limiting God by human definitions. ... Thus human thoughts are inadequate, for all human utterance is contradictory in continually purporting to say more than it actually contains; every thought once put into words, fixed and given objectivity, becomes a lie because of the poverty of its expression. (Orthodoxy, pp. 180-181)

But the errors of heretics and blasphemers force us to deal with unlawful matters, to scale perilous heights, to speak unutterable words, to trespass on forbidden ground. Faith ought in silence to fulfil the commandments, worshipping the Father, reverencing with Him the Son, abounding in the Holy Ghost, but we must strain the poor resources of our language to express thoughts too great for words. The error of others compels us to err in daring to embody in human terms truths which ought to be hidden in the silent veneration of the heart.

What this means practically can only be assessed on a case by case basis.  This doesn't mean that the central tenets of the faith are optional--their binding truth has been long confirmed in the life and experience of the Church--but it does mean that we need to be aware of the limitations, inadequacies, and even dangers of dogmatic definition. 

Hey Father, i'm gonna put my "moderator" hat on here & let you know that when you quote from somewhere you have to cite your sources.  You can do that either my just providing the link to where you found the quote, or citing it from the book you read, like in the quote box above this last one. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 02:34:10 PM »

Fr., would you be able to provide examples of said dangers, limitations, etc. as they apply to *Orthodox* dogmatic definition?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

Hey Father, i'm gonna put my "moderator" hat on here & let you know that when you quote from somewhere you have to cite your sources.  You can do that either my just providing the link to where you found the quote, or citing it from the book you read, like in the quote box above this last one. 

Happy to oblige.  The Hilary quote is from On the Trinity 2.2.

akimel
Fr Aidan
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 03:06:56 PM »

Fr., would you be able to provide examples of said dangers, limitations, etc. as they apply to *Orthodox* dogmatic definition?

The Chalcedonian definition is a prime example.  Because of differences in conceptuality and linguistic conceptual expression, the definition generated a major schism in the Church.  Was the schism grounded in substantive disagreement on the person of Christ?  Many scholars and bishops now think that mutual misunderstanding played a large part in the division.  But how do the Churches now reconcile, with Chalcedon standing between them?  Met Hilarion discusses this question in his essay "The Reception of the Ecumenical Councils."

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:00 PM »

The Chalcedonian definition is a prime example.  Because of differences in conceptuality and linguistic conceptual expression, the definition generated a major schism in the Church.  Was the schism grounded in substantive disagreement on the person of Christ?  Many scholars and bishops now think that mutual misunderstanding played a large part in the division.  But how do the Churches now reconcile, with Chalcedon standing between them?  Met Hilarion discusses this question in his essay "The Reception of the Ecumenical Councils."

Uh.....o.k.  More than that I can't respond unless and until I read, understand, and digest that rather long essay. 

*Without* having read it, I can only pipe in that given what I understand of the current relationship between the EO and OO, and in spite of Met. Hilarion's essay, those two Churches have still not reconciled.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:45 AM »

Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these are written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name.

Hmmm ... so your litmus test for dogma is whether it's among the things written in John's Gospel?

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

Hmmm ... so your litmus test for dogma is whether it's among the things written in John's Gospel?

Oh boy.....

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: