OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 16, 2014, 09:31:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags CHAT Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where To Donate my Money?  (Read 1105 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:05 AM »

I made a new year's resolution to donate $1,000 to a good cause, and so I've been saving up all of the money I can right now in a jar and so far I have $115 and it got me thinking; where should I donate this money once I reach $1,000? I want it to be something that will help the Orthodox Church and I was thinking of maybe directly donating it to my parish, but, I started thinking, I just do not see $1,000 of American money going very far in the first-world. And why donate to a well-off American Church when we have Churches living in poverty where $1,000 American dollars can go much farther than they can here? So, I was wondering, do any of you know any good Orthodox causes that I can donate to? I was thinking of donating it to Patriarch Kirill, but after his scandal with the watch I am a bit weary of doing that, but I would prefer to use the money to aid the Russian Church in some way if I can. Are there any tiny, obscure parishes in Russia, Eastern Europe or the Middle East that are really struggling economically that I can directly donate the money too? Since I'm kind of weary of donating the money directly to a Patriarch.

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
age234
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:44 AM »

The IOCC is a worthy cause. They do traditional missionary work all around the world, and from all accounts the money is used well.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

EXTERMINATE!

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 01:16:56 AM »

Donate it to ME! Grin

I kid, I kid. laugh
Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 01:26:30 AM »

Fwiw, if you want to help missions there is always the Orthodox Christian Mission Center, which lists the following areas as places that it presently works in:

Cameroon
Ghana
Kenya
Tanzania
Uganda
Albania
Kosovo
Moldova
Romania
Indonesia
South Korea
Mongolia
Guatemala
United States

OrthodoxyChristianity.net also takes donations. Also, you're a better man than me.  Smiley
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:26:49 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 01:33:51 AM »

I second either IOCC (International Orthodox Christian Charities) or OCMC (Orthodox Christian Missions Center). Both of them are pan-Orthodox organizations under the Episcopal Assembly of North America and do tons of good work all over the world, whether it's in traditional Orthodox lands that need a hand or in brand new mission fields.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
PrincessMommy
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

OCA

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 07:03:24 AM »

I would be less inclined to give money to IOCC.  Yes, they do good work, but they also already receive a lot of money, especially from big-wigs like Senators, etc. (don't they receive some money from the US gov't?  I thought I remembered reading that somewhere.).  I would look for something smaller or more local.   There may even be a struggling mission parish within your diocese that would be very blessed by a $1000 donation. Talk with your priest.

In addition, there are several very good but struggling charities within the Orthodox faith.  Here's two that come immediately to mind.

Fr. Daniel Byantoro's charity Friends of Indonesia is one  http://friendsofindonesia.org/

There's also one within the ROCOR jurisdiction that is in Haiti.  They are REALLY struggling.  http://www.orthodoxhaiti.org/ or here: http://rocormissions.org/

arnI

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »

There are a couple of Orthodox teams at kiva dot org (microloans).

Grant me to see my own errors and not to judge my brother
Nikolaostheservant
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: greek orthodox
Jurisdiction: christian

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 04:07:04 PM »

you said>>>"I made a new year's resolution to donate $1,000 to a good cause, and so I've been saving up all of the money I can"

I personally dont like donating $$ to "good causes", i know, i know but thats just me, its my choice.
(the only place i dontat to an org is "St. josephs childerns hospital")
This came after i realised when all is said and done 1k donated gets down to abt 400 bucks left that actually gets where its meant to go. thre are orgs that say 100% of what u donate go directly to the cause, but i doubt it.

So, what i do is i find people i know or know of and help them directly. I always find ways to help deserving families WITHOUT them knowing it was me. I find this so much more fullfilling than donating it to a organization
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »

God provides the charitable with means and opportunities. If you have the desire and the resources, God will show you who is in need. Ask Him.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »

A local soup kitchen, homeless shelter, battered women's shelter. most chartities in the US have seen a great reduction in donations the last couple of years, especially small local ones.

Proverbs 22:7
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 11:45:59 PM »

Use google and find some Ukrainian Orthodox churches that help with orphanages in the Ukraine.   Many of those orphanages are very poor and run down.   You could donate to those churches in care of the orphans.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 04:44:00 AM »

Use google and find some Ukrainian Orthodox churches that help with orphanages in the Ukraine.   Many of those orphanages are very poor and run down.   You could donate to those churches in care of the orphans.

Be careful with this.   Corruption is out of control here.  I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of any money donated to Ukraine ends up in the wrong hands.  The other issue is that "rich Americans" are sending money, local officials will steal what the orphans are legally entitled to from the state. 
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 10:15:25 AM »

Our parishes need our support, but if you feel your parish doesn't need more than your routine stewardship, the Orthodox Church in America (OCA) has a wonderful church planting grant program.  It provides seed money and support to small new mission parishes, that have not received parish status as yet.  The donation would be sent directly to the OCA's Central Administration.  You can check the OCA's website for more details, "oca.org".  $1,000 would be a lot of money to any of the missions; not that I disagree with any of the options noted above.

The St. Herman House of Hospitality, a residence to homeless unemployed and underemployed men, that provides meals too, along with the daily Divine Services of the Orthodox Church, sponsored by the Greater Cleveland Council of Orthodox Clergy, is a most worthy cause.  If your interested, PM me for details, though they have a website.

You may also wish to look over your parish's budget to see which charitable concerns your parish supports, as other options for you to consider.

Look into the seminaries and monasteries, too.

"Come Receive the Light" and "Ancient Faith Radio" are other worthy options.

Often we may think our parishes don't need additional support, but as a parish council member I will tell you, there is always a project that gets ignored due to lack of funds.  My church comfortably raises our $650,000.00 operating budget, but we've delayed for too many years repaving our parking lot due to the probable 1/2 million dollar cost, and this year we will be spending our $400,000.00 savings to replace all the roofs over our church, hall, and classrooms.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 10:24:55 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
JamesR
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 03:40:41 PM »

Be careful with this.   Corruption is out of control here.  I wouldn't be surprised if a good chunk of any money donated to Ukraine ends up in the wrong hands.  The other issue is that "rich Americans" are sending money, local officials will steal what the orphans are legally entitled to from the state. 

I trust you. If I were to personally wire you the money do you think you could manually donate it to a worthy cause like some struggling Ukranian parish trying to aid orphanages or something?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 03:41:55 PM by JamesR » Logged

Wherever goes JamesR goes, he is there.
-Orthonorm
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 03:52:34 PM »

I trust you. If I were to personally wire you the money do you think you could manually donate it to a worthy cause like some struggling Ukranian parish trying to aid orphanages or something?

Do something local.  There are plenty of needy orphans even in California. 
Jason.Wike
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 05:38:37 PM »

Last time I checked out Internal Orthodox Christian Charities was a very good and reputable charity to donate to. I have no reason to think that has changed but just sayin'. You can indicate your donation for different things such as helping people in Georgia or Serbia or different things (I don't really remember the other things any more).

Just, they will send you an enormous amount of mail soliciting more donations and lots of glossy pamphlets that probably cost a bit to make...
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 05:40:07 PM by Jason.Wike » Logged
Opus118
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Katerina, my sister, dear beyond measure

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 07:08:33 PM »

I made a new year's resolution to donate $1,000 to a good cause, and so I've been saving up all of the money I can right now in a jar and so far I have $115 and it got me thinking; where should I donate this money once I reach $1,000? I want it to be something that will help the Orthodox Church and I was thinking of maybe directly donating it to my parish, but, I started thinking, I just do not see $1,000 of American money going very far in the first-world. And why donate to a well-off American Church when we have Churches living in poverty where $1,000 American dollars can go much farther than they can here? So, I was wondering, do any of you know any good Orthodox causes that I can donate to? I was thinking of donating it to Patriarch Kirill, but after his scandal with the watch I am a bit weary of doing that, but I would prefer to use the money to aid the Russian Church in some way if I can. Are there any tiny, obscure parishes in Russia, Eastern Europe or the Middle East that are really struggling economically that I can directly donate the money too? Since I'm kind of weary of donating the money directly to a Patriarch.

I think I should mention an Orthodox orphanage near to where I live, St Innocent, in the Tijuana Mexico region:
http://www.projectmexico.org.

There is also a local Orthodox home for women in crisis in Escondido CA:
http://www.marthaandmaryhouse.org

Asteriktos
Pegleg J
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Fear the Tooth

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2012, 01:25:16 AM »

I have a new suggestion for donating some of the money: a nice baptismal outfit Wink  Smiley
Clare G.

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2012, 03:58:51 AM »

Have a look at the work The King's Jubilee are doing: http://www.shoutforjoy.net/

Scroll back a bit to get a full understanding of how much they do and the obstacles they are facing.
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2012, 06:39:19 AM »

Go local. Many small local org's are struggling and don't have the fundrasing power of large national and international org's.

Proverbs 22:7
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 01:19:55 PM »

Go local. Many small local org's are struggling and don't have the fundrasing power of large national and international org's.

Sounds like a good idea. There are food banks, shelters for victims of violence, etc.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
podkarpatska
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:20 PM »

Sounds like a good idea. There are food banks, shelters for victims of violence, etc.

Our parish has supported the Orthodox Childrens' Home of St. Nicholas in Medzilaborce, Slovakia for many years. Run by the Orthodox Diocese of Presov, Slovakia, the home has a special ministry for Roma children. Dealing with Roma has been an historical problem in that region and working to reduce the bigotry and bias against these children has been a special mission of the Diocese for many years. 100% of all funds go directly to the home via our parish. Just another good option to consider.
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »

I have my paycheck set-up so that every payday I automatically donate by deduction $15 to both the IOCC (International Orthodox Christian Charities) and OCMC (Orthodox Christian Missions Center) via the United Way. My employer, Bank of America, matches my contributions, allowing my donation to have even more impact.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
IXOYE
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »

I know an impoverished elderly Priestmonk whose monastery is now gone...
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 05:43:53 PM »

Sorry to divert, but Reply No. 22 prompted me:  When your employer harasses you for a United Way contribution, you can designate IOCC the recipient, if the contribution meets some administrative threshold.  IOCC has a United Way code number.

Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2012, 08:45:29 PM »

Sorry to divert, but Reply No. 22 prompted me:  When your employer harasses you for a United Way contribution, you can designate IOCC the recipient, if the contribution meets some administrative threshold.  IOCC has a United Way code number.

Yup, I looked that up when they were doign the annual United Way sign-ups and that is where I signed up to have my $15 to these two charities matched every payday.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2012, 08:59:47 PM »

"Bravo," as we say in Greek.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: