OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 10:05:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What are your pet peeves and OCD's?  (Read 12222 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #90 on: June 12, 2012, 07:40:07 PM »

#X) When you are in a hurry to be somewhere, like getting ready for Liturgy or an appointment for example, and you shave in a hurry and manage to screw up, getting a shaving cut that keeps bleeding and delays you for like five minutes while you try to figure out a way to stop the bleeding.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #91 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:48 PM »

#X) When you are in a hurry to be somewhere, like getting ready for Liturgy or an appointment for example, and you shave in a hurry and manage to screw up, getting a shaving cut that keeps bleeding and delays you for like five minutes while you try to figure out a way to stop the bleeding.

That's why you should be prepared to be to any event 45 minutes early.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2012, 08:07:10 PM »

Better yet, don't shave. We all know that beards are Orthodox. Wink
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2012, 08:24:56 PM »

Better yet, don't shave. We all know that beards are Orthodox. Wink

Or that; personally I like to follow Clement of Alexandria's advice on shaving.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2012, 01:25:37 AM »

Super glue, bro.

You're welcome.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2012, 08:54:34 AM »

Or that; personally I like to follow Clement of Alexandria's advice on shaving.

There's nothing that ante-Nicene Alexandrians can't answer.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »

Pet Peeve #5: When a page loads with a bunch of links (e.g. at a news site), I try to click a link, and the page changes a split second before I click the link, moving the page and causing me to open up a completely different page.

Pet Peeve #6: When I point out to a grocery store employee that the meat I just picked up is expired, and they give me dirty looks. Dude. The stuff looks like it expired three weeks ago. Why are you mad at me?

OCD #27: Checking to make sure I have my debit card when I go out. I don't carry a wallet, just the stuff I'll need. And I don't want to get to the store only to find out that I don't have the card, so I tend to make sure I have the right card, put it in my pocket, wait 30 seconds, pull everything out, make sure I have the right card again, put it back in my pocket, and so forth (several more times). It's the only card that's green and has my bank's name on it, why do I need to keep looking at it?  Roll Eyes Grin
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:37:51 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »

Pet Peeve #5: When a page loads with a bunch of links (e.g. at a news site), I try to click a link, and the page changes a split second before I click the link, moving the page and causing me to open up a completely different page.

Pet Peeve #6: When I point out to a grocery store employee that the meat I just picked up is expired, and they give me dirty looks. Dude. The stuff looks like it expired three weeks ago. Why are you mad at me?

OCD #27: Checking to make sure I have my debit card when I go out. I don't carry a wallet, just the stuff I'll need. And I don't want to get to the store only to find out that I don't have the card, so I tend to make sure I have the right card, put it in my pocket, wait 30 seconds, pull everything out, make sure I have the right card again, put it back in my pocket, and so forth (several more times). It's the only card that's green and has my bank's name on it, why do I need to keep looking at it?  Roll Eyes Grin

#27 is something I do quite frequently.  Especially whenever I am carrying more than two or three dollars (I rarely carry cash, preferring to use my debit card), I have to do precisely what you do, but in order to make sure it's still in my wallet and didn't somehow fall out.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #98 on: December 17, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »

Pet Peeve #12: When people have a near-empty profile on dating sites, and then say things like this: "If you're going to message me have something intelligent to say. Don't just message me and say 'hello ur pretty'".  Well what exactly am I supposed to talk about? The economy? My thoughts on the current instability in the middle east? My favorite movie? How I like the rock formation in your one picture? I mean, it'd help if you gave me a little something on your profile to work with...
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 11:04:35 AM by Asteriktos » Logged

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #99 on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:54 AM »

The use of "Awesome" as a noun. It used to be sort of cute but now it's ubiquitous and completely assimilated and lame. For example, Comcast now describe themselves as "The Future of Awesome."

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #100 on: December 17, 2012, 11:50:30 AM »

When someone eats with their mouth open. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #101 on: December 17, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »

When the car behind me is gunning its engine like I'm going too slow, and the car in front of me keeps hitting their brakes, I tend to go stark raving nutters and start looking for a KFC. Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #102 on: December 18, 2012, 01:52:35 AM »

When I use a $100 dollar bill to buy something at the store and the clerk holds the bill up into the light to check if it is real or not. Do I look like the type of guy who would pay you with a fake $100 dollar bill?

When I go to Costco and the workers in the grocery section refuse to give me samples because "my parents aren't there"....It's humiliating. I'm practically a man.

When the drinking vent on my metal coffee cup gets clogged and messes up the flow of coffee entering my mouth, only to suddenly unclog moments later where I am unexpectedly met with an overwhelmingly hot stream of coffee gushing forth into my mouth, burning my throat.

When I am in a public restroom using one of the men's urinals and instead of using one of the countless other available urinals in the room, the next man who walks in HAS to take the urinal right "next-door" to mine. Seriously. There are so many others. Couldn't you use one that is at least one vacant urinal away from my urinal? I can't pee in peace knowing that some perv might be looking at my junk...

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #103 on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:01 AM »

Someone breaking wind in an enclosed area.

Ignoring two people talking and interrupting the conversation with their own as if it were more important.

Trying, horribly, to talk over me.  I'm usually pretty soft spoken, but I have a loud set of pipes when required.

Touching my food, for any reason.  It's my food, touch your own food.

Backwash.  It's just gross!

Port-a-johns.  It's just gross.

People who do things with some distorted sense of equality (because they can) without regard for anyone else (means its not really equality, rather something YOU want).

Man, I could go for days, but I'll finish with and OCD.  Cards or papers on a counter not being evenly stacked and placed.  I have gotten strange looks from bank tellers as I fix this on the customer counters.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:12:43 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #104 on: December 18, 2012, 02:24:06 AM »

Commercials on the Internet.  I can't tell you how furious it makes me.  Commercials are one of the many reasons I rarely watch TV and when I do, it's usually a channel without commercials.  If I'm paying for the service, I don't want commercials.  If its free, I live with commercials.  Like Pandora, Hulu or Netflix. 
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: December 18, 2012, 02:25:21 AM »

Or at least 15 minutes early to a 15 minute early show time.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 02:25:49 AM by Kerdy » Logged
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #106 on: December 18, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »

When I use a $100 dollar bill to buy something at the store and the clerk holds the bill up into the light to check if it is real or not. Do I look like the type of guy who would pay you with a fake $100 dollar bill?

Do you look like the type of guy who would pay with a genuine $100 bill?  Cheesy
Justin Kolodziej
Party per fess argent and gules; in chief a Latin cross bottony sable between two lozenges azure; in base a wheel, or.
Elder

Faith: Converting
Jurisdiction: GOC-Kallinikos....one day

« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2012, 11:24:17 AM »

I don't have pet peeves so much as things that turn me into a homicidal maniac:

1. Interrupting me with a stupid question or something stupid to do when I have plenty of my own work to do
2. Telling me I have an attitude when if that person wouldn't have said what they said with their attitude I wouldn't have my attitude to begin with
3. Telling me my kid is fussy because I am upset when in reality I am upset because he started fussing first
4. In general telling me I am in the wrong when clearly I am not in the wrong, the other person is
5. Or telling me to get over my problems when they aren't even their concern or worse they caused them
6. Thinking "everyone" means them when it clearly is a major exaggeration
7. When people leave their trash all over places that aren't theirs

OCDs, don't know

Where even the last two or three are gathered in His name, He is there in their midst.
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2012, 12:07:04 PM »

No, but it is in our training, anbd rules, to check all bills over a 20$. We dont do it, we get fired.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2012, 02:59:15 PM »

No, but it is in our training, anbd rules, to check all bills over a 20$. We dont do it, we get fired.

Weird to check for twenties, unless you get a lot of fake ones. But my fifties and above are always checked even if I am a friend of the business. I doubt I would ever not catch a counterfeit bill, but I could and they need to check.

All my craigslist transactions are done a specific business so they can check the currency.

I remember back in the days when you could just xerox a bill and feed it in to an old change maker at a laundry mat, car wash, arcade (till they started giving out tokens for this reason), and get take your change.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #110 on: December 19, 2012, 03:10:35 PM »

Commercials on the Internet.  I can't tell you how furious it makes me.  Commercials are one of the many reasons I rarely watch TV and when I do, it's usually a channel without commercials.  If I'm paying for the service, I don't want commercials.  If its free, I live with commercials.  Like Pandora, Hulu or Netflix. 

I'm like that too. I hate it when I'm waiting to watch a good new music thing or some cute footage of cats, and that sign comes up, 'you may skip ad in 15 seconds.' What? I didn't even ask for it!

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

spcasuncoast.org
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #111 on: December 19, 2012, 03:18:32 PM »

I'm like that too. I hate it when I'm waiting to watch a good new music thing or some cute footage of cats, and that sign comes up, 'you may skip ad in 15 seconds.' What? I didn't even ask for it!

Why not download the adblock plugin for Firefox or Chrome? It's free and you never get ads again, not even on YouTube.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 03:22:31 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2012, 06:09:30 AM »

Why not download the adblock plugin for Firefox or Chrome? It's free and you never get ads again, not even on YouTube.

I don't use either of those.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2012, 04:09:25 PM »

Or knife blade on a wine bottle?
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2012, 04:24:21 PM »

Ready for my kvetchfest?

It will never end.

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2012, 04:25:14 PM »

How someone chews with their mouth closed has always been a mystery to me.

jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »

Seeing the same people show up to church 30 minutes early for a Christmas performance who are regularly 30 minutes late for the Divine Liturgy.   Huh

Its not so much a pet peeve or OCD, but it is an interesting observation, and a reflection of our priorities.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2012, 05:28:37 PM »

Some of mine can be reposted in the begging irony thread.

Let's start.

The loss of the difference in meaning of bring and take in American English.

It seems bring is winning the battle for both meanings, although people at times use take to mean bring.

(Lab.)

Person who I will loathe in a few seconds: Can you bring this sample with you when you go upstairs to analytical?

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2012, 05:48:10 PM »

Thank God I'm not the only one.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2012, 05:49:06 PM »

Not a fan of sabrage, I take it?

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2012, 08:53:12 AM »

Haha exactly.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2012, 08:28:17 PM »

When people grumble and say, “It isn’t your place to judge.”  Firstly, it kind of is when you think about it.  We are told to hold one another accountable.  Secondly, no one is passing final judgment on anyone, that’s Gods job.  We just make observations based on what is presented and construct an analysis.  Thirdly, only people in a position of authority and power are able to pass the judgment being complained about.  Fourthly, people are judged every day for a variety of reasons.  You don’t get to pick and choose what you don’t want to be judged about. 
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2012, 08:29:49 PM »

When someone stands in the middle of the grocery aisle with their cart, talking to someone, and when you try to get past they give you dirty looks.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2012, 08:40:42 PM »

When you are about to look to see if someone replied to your posts in a thread and apparently since your last visit things took a turn for the worst and it gets moved to the politics section.   Wink

But if it was that bad, I am sort of glad I didn't get to see what was said.  It all works out in the end.  Hey, if thats the case, why am I posting in this thread.

Ok, people who post in the Pet Peeves thread and aren't complaining. Embarrassed
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 08:43:14 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2012, 08:53:28 PM »

People who are incapable of switching off the lights when going out of a room, or leave their rubbish on the table, rather than take two steps further and put it in the bin. Angry

Honestly, that's what the other two adults of the household are like. The four-year-old is better than them in both respects.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:42 PM »

People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2012, 09:34:29 PM »

People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.

shoot, i thought that was illegal
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »

When people do that to my Father he will adjust his rearview mirror so the light shines into their faces  angel

orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2012, 11:00:37 PM »

People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.

It is not and it is probably one the easiest things you can do to significantly reduce your chance of being in an accident.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:00:47 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2012, 11:03:09 PM »

It is because it's dangerous, but try telling that to 87 year old Betty or 19 year old Mike, neither of which can drive.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:54 PM »

People who drive with their headlights on high...all the time.  These were designed for when away from the city lights and it's dark.  Not when you are riding my bumper down main street.

It is because it's dangerous, but try telling that to 87 year old Betty or 19 year old Mike, neither of which can drive.

How? A lazy google will show you that the increased visibility of headlamps and rearlamps helps keep you out of accidents. It's why motocycles in many (all?) States MUST have them on all time. To bad they don't have sufficiently spread lights so you can tell from the perceived distance between the two lights how far away it is and depending on how quickly that distance is changing how fast it is traveling.

You are wrong.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:08:20 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2012, 11:22:23 PM »

People who make claim of knowledge when they clearly have none on a topic.  Or at the very least, they have no idea what you are talking about. police

Learning "obsolete" definitions in the online dictionary really are not obsolete.  People should stop playing around with the dictionary.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 11:23:16 PM by Kerdy » Logged
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »

People who make claim of knowledge when they clearly have none on a topic.  Or at the very least, they have no idea what you are talking about. police

Learning "obsolete" definitions in the online dictionary really are not obsolete.  People should stop playing around with the dictionary.

See your post above.

A buddy of mine does insurance. Some companies give you a small discount if you are willing to always drive with your lights on.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31:28 PM »

"Or at the very least, they have no idea what you are talking about..." Grin
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2012, 11:31:55 PM »

Actually this one of my pet peeves: nearly every dictionary save for the Oxford series.

They place the meanings for words in order by their earliest known usage rather than using real lexicographical research to determine the most common usage of the word. It costs a lot of money to do this, so most publishers of dictionaries go the lazy route. Heck most are just using lexicons they bought from other companies which they are no longer using.

Oxford American for ESL speakers or anyone who wants a real single volume dictionary.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: