OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 22, 2014, 04:20:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What country would you live in?  (Read 6395 times) Average Rating: 0
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

I thought this could be funny. What country would you live in if you was to leave your old country. If it was me I would choose the Faroe Islands. .

It is the most beautiful place on Earth and from what I have read most of the people up there are still christians (or bahai).  Smiley

The Faroe Islands does look like a very nice place, ever been?
I am sad to say that I haven't. But it should be very nice up there.Though pretty rainy of course but hey, I already live in Denmark Smiley

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 12:21:42 AM »

Ireland, Vietnam, or Georgia
mabsoota
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 06:40:14 AM »

ireland and vietnam are lovely, although the hygiene standard is rather higher in ireland.
why is ireland so green and lovely?
because it rains ALL the time, even more than in britain!

actually haven't been to georgia, but looks nice from the plane as u go over it  Wink
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:28 AM »

Such a pathetic Japan-fanboy, I am.

Me too minus the Manga, unless you count Gatchaman & Space Battleship Yamato. Yeah, I'm old!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 10:12:23 AM »

I would go to the land of my ancestors.. which are Britain and Scotland.  Possibly Scotland more so now, with all of the unrest going on in England..

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 10:22:06 AM »

Borneo

I have a bunch of aunts and uncles there, so it's theoretically possible.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 10:32:19 AM »

Does anyone have any idea how much it would actually cost to find a job in a foreign country, find a place to live, and the plane ticket to get there?  *wishful thinking*

I'm assuming it's different depending on where you go, but how many dollars will translate into the amount of Euros I'd need?  Huh

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2011, 10:44:08 AM »

Does anyone have any idea how much it would actually cost to find a job in a foreign country, find a place to live, and the plane ticket to get there?  *wishful thinking*

I'm assuming it's different depending on where you go, but how many dollars will translate into the amount of Euros I'd need?  Huh

President Saakashvili of Georgia has recently announced a new program that is supported by the Georgian state and is aimed at improving the Georgian people's English skills. They welcome anyone who is willing to live with a Georgian family and whose first (native) language is English. I am not sure how much they pay, exactly, but, knowing Georgians, I can assure you that if you live in their home, they will provide you with everything you need, and more (a guest for any Georgian is a holy thing). You might want to Google "Georgia, Education, Teaching English" etc.

As for how many dollars... it depends on whether you will live in a big city (especially the capital), or in a smaller city/town. In my home city of Kyiv, Ukraine, expenses are very high. If you live in the center of the city, where all the tourist attractions are, your apartment rent will be something like $400-500 for a one-bedroom apartment, if not more. Food will cost probably ~$500-$700 per month (less if you cook your own meals). Public transportation is still cheap (about $10-$15 per month), but it is becoming more expensive almost each month. On the other hand, in a smaller city like some oblast center, the rent will be about half of what it is in a big city, the food maybe 30-40% less, and the public transportation much less.

Love never fails.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2011, 10:57:58 AM »

President Saakashvili of Georgia has recently announced a new program that is supported by the Georgian state and is aimed at improving the Georgian people's English skills. They welcome anyone who is willing to live with a Georgian family and whose first (native) language is English. I am not sure how much they pay, exactly, but, knowing Georgians, I can assure you that if you live in their home, they will provide you with everything you need, and more (a guest for any Georgian is a holy thing). You might want to Google "Georgia, Education, Teaching English" etc.

When I learned about this program I thought it was too good to be true. But you can read some of the reports by early participants here: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/24/world/europe/24teachers.html?pagewanted=all

It sounds like a rough job but completely worth it. They pay for your plane ticket and everything too.

There are other countries where you can do this too (Thailand, Japan, China) but I think in Georgia you would be making a bigger difference since the program has just started. 

genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2011, 01:10:34 PM »

This website makes for interesting reading. It doesn't exactly answer your specific questions, but it gives you at least an idea of what you're up against.

Many countries have special immigration rules for pensioners. That makes some countries with a low cost of living very desirable for retirees in their 50s and 60s. Of course, things like the availability of medical care (which should really be a factor for everyone) take on a new dimension. One also has to consider the fact that the country you want may not want you  Smiley. But I know this thread is meant for us to share our dreams and not clutter those dreams with dreary realities.

I spent three years in Paraguay in the 1980s. I'd love to go back. Unfortunately, my wife never became fluent in Spanish and therefore didn't adapt comfortably to the culture - though she doesn't regret the experience and speaks well of it. Also, for me now, the Orthodox presence in Paraguay is minimal.
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2011, 02:47:19 PM »

This website makes for interesting reading. It doesn't exactly answer your specific questions, but it gives you at least an idea of what you're up against.

Many countries have special immigration rules for pensioners. That makes some countries with a low cost of living very desirable for retirees in their 50s and 60s. Of course, things like the availability of medical care (which should really be a factor for everyone) take on a new dimension. One also has to consider the fact that the country you want may not want you  Smiley. But I know this thread is meant for us to share our dreams and not clutter those dreams with dreary realities.

I spent three years in Paraguay in the 1980s. I'd love to go back. Unfortunately, my wife never became fluent in Spanish and therefore didn't adapt comfortably to the culture - though she doesn't regret the experience and speaks well of it. Also, for me now, the Orthodox presence in Paraguay is minimal.
Other threads are on my mind. I thought you said, "I spent three years in Purgatory in the 1980s."  laugh
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #56 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:15 PM »

As for how many dollars... it depends on whether you will live in a big city (especially the capital), or in a smaller city/town. In my home city of Kyiv, Ukraine, expenses are very high. If you live in the center of the city, where all the tourist attractions are, your apartment rent will be something like $400-500 for a one-bedroom apartment, if not more. Food will cost probably ~$500-$700 per month (less if you cook your own meals). Public transportation is still cheap (about $10-$15 per month), but it is becoming more expensive almost each month. On the other hand, in a smaller city like some oblast center, the rent will be about half of what it is in a big city, the food maybe 30-40% less, and the public transportation much less.
Wow. Learning Georgian would be like learning Vulcan for a whitebread like me laugh!
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #57 on: September 13, 2011, 02:50:51 PM »

ireland and vietnam are lovely, although the hygiene standard is rather higher in ireland.

actually haven't been to georgia, but looks nice from the plane as u go over it  Wink
It actually has some really beautiful beaches. Could give Hawaii a run for its money judged by the pictures. I was surprised.

I dunno, I've had this strange attraction to Georgia since I did a school project on it.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #58 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03:37 PM »

It actually has some really beautiful beaches. Could give Hawaii a run for its money judged by the pictures. I was surprised.

I dunno, I've had this strange attraction to Georgia since I did a school project on it.

I lived in Georgia for a while when I was younger.  It was a pretty nice place and I have a lot of fond memories.  The language was a little hard, but you get used to it.  The schools were wonderful.  The culture is very friendly.  Unfortunately, there are too many dirty northerners there these days, but still a nice place.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »

Another beautiful part of the world, the southern coast of the Crimea peninsula. This is the famous "Swallow's Nest" castle near Yalta.

Love never fails.
mabsoota
Archon

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2011, 05:27:57 PM »

also in georgia, u have to be good at backgammon.
i knew a georgian woman who was only about 20 but beat all the other east europeans/west asians thoroughly at both types of backgammon, the asian 'persian' game and the european 'greek' game.
she played fast and without remorse, like an old pipe-smoking grandad!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2011, 06:40:05 PM »

I like backgammon. I'm not good at it.  Smiley I still like it, though.

If I had to leave the country, I guess I'd pick from:

Iceland
Ireland
U.K. (anywhere)
Canada
New Zealand

I have to get a passport and lots of Dramamine. I'm a bit scaredy-cat when it comes to planes. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #62 on: September 13, 2011, 07:14:09 PM »

In no particular order:

1. British Columbia
2. Italy (Sicily to be exact)
3. Japan
4. Singapore
5. Australia

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: September 13, 2011, 07:34:22 PM »

Sicily would be a great place to live.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Volnutt
Archon

« Reply #64 on: September 13, 2011, 09:56:26 PM »

also in georgia, u have to be good at backgammon.
i knew a georgian woman who was only about 20 but beat all the other east europeans/west asians thoroughly at both types of backgammon, the asian 'persian' game and the european 'greek' game.
she played fast and without remorse, like an old pipe-smoking grandad!
Funny we're talking about Georgia of St. Ketevan's Feast Day.
Byron
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Nationalist

« Reply #65 on: September 14, 2011, 06:33:05 AM »

I'd live in the Hawaii of 70 years ago.

Or 50s/60s Rhodesia and South Africa.

Or some other safe, tropical Pacific or Carib island paradise. 

I. Metaxas - 4th of August Regime

"Country, Loyalty, Family and Religion".

Nationalism, Monarchy, Family and Orthodoxy.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #66 on: September 14, 2011, 08:33:32 AM »

Can I bring my grandma?   Smiley

Poland, for sure.  It's part of my heritage, and I'm proud to be 1/4 Polish. 

My grandma says that nearly everyone in Poland goes to Church at least once a week.  I did research, and 60-70% of people in Poland do attend services regularly.  This is opposed to four times or so a year (if your not "super church-ey") in more Eastern countries.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #67 on: September 14, 2011, 08:41:25 AM »

In chat last night Orthonorm revealed where he secretly wanted to live, but was afraid to say:

Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #68 on: September 14, 2011, 08:53:21 AM »

I have lived in the UK and could go back there. I would live in the US and I feel I could adapt to most places in Europe. Not sure about Asian and Middle-Eastern countries though.

If they requested volunteers for a colony on Mars or the Moon I'd accept it. Seriously. Smiley

Good place to build a hermit's cell.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #69 on: September 14, 2011, 01:13:50 PM »

Can I bring my grandma?   Smiley

Poland, for sure.  It's part of my heritage, and I'm proud to be 1/4 Polish. 

My grandma says that nearly everyone in Poland goes to Church at least once a week.  I did research, and 60-70% of people in Poland do attend services regularly.  This is opposed to four times or so a year (if your not "super church-ey") in more Eastern countries.

When you say that 60-70 % attend church regularly do you then mean in orthodox churches or all polish churches?

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 01:30:26 PM »

Glad those places are different now; what's the white supremacists' paradise now? my gut feeling is some backwards county in oklahoma, kansas or arizona.
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 03:01:15 PM »

Glad those places are different now; what's the white supremacists' paradise now? my gut feeling is some backwards county in oklahoma, kansas or arizona.

“What we believed in was responsible majority rule as opposed to irresponsible majority rule, and I stand by that. I think it's important that before you give a person a [right to] vote you ensure that his roots go down [and] that he's part of the whole structure of the country. So I stand by what I've said, and I think we can substantiate the fact that the things we did were to the benefit of the black people of our country more so than anybody else. And I challenge anybody to disagree with that.” – Ian Smith, Prime Minister of Rhodesia

“We had the highest standard of health and education and housing for our black people than any other country on the African continent. That was what Rhodesians did. I wonder if we shouldn't be given credit for doing that.” - Ian Smith

"I'm an American who joined the Rhodesian African Rifles to help out in what I saw as a fight against Communism. My African soldiers and I spent most of our time patrolling the Tribal Trust Lands looking for Communist Terrorists. We never saw this as a racial issue. It was an East vs. West Cold War Chapter. We always considered it an anti-communist campaign and never saw it any other way! A very few Americans arrived in Rhodesia with a racial agenda. Haters! The minute the Rhodesian authorities found out they had what they called a "racialist" on their hands they deported him-immediately! Usually lost on The West is that more than half of the Rhodesian troops were black and Anti-Communist! It was a privilege to command them." - Captain Joseph Columbus Smith, (Ret.), 1st Battalion, Rhodesian African Rifles

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 03:02:50 PM »

Uh oh, neo-Nazis coming out of the woodwork again.

Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 03:10:13 PM »

Firstly, what's a "neo-Nazi"?

Secondly, what does that have to do with this thread?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:10:37 PM by Ioannis Climacus » Logged

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 03:12:14 PM »

You mean like Jimmy Hoffa, the President of the Teamsters who called his thugs to "take out those SOBs" while referring to Mr. Obama's political adversaries.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2011, 03:14:48 PM »

LOL Rhodesia? Here we go again.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2011, 03:16:17 PM »

You mean like Jimmy Hoffa, the President of the Teamsters who called his thugs to "take out those SOBs" while referring to Mr. Obama's political adversaries.

If you got any shriller dog whistles would be obsolete.

Taxiarches

« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »

In chat last night Orthonorm revealed where he secretly wanted to live, but was afraid to say:

I wonder which character he would like to be? Not having met him, I do not know whom he most looks like. However, from his speaking style, may be he would like to be Gimli.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 03:23:28 PM by Second Chance » Logged

Taxiarches

« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2011, 03:24:24 PM »

If you got any shriller dog whistles would be obsolete.

I LIKE it. Can I plagiarize (not against you of course)

vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011, 03:39:40 PM »

I'm afraid to get involved in any conversation revolving around Rhodesia, as it always end up in hyperbole.  But all the same, I have seen very similar quotes to the third one JotN put up from African troops in the Rhodesian armed forces.  People could educate themselves on the matter, but calling the other party 'Nazi' is generally a simpler course.
augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2011, 03:44:23 PM »

I'm afraid to get involved in any conversation revolving around Rhodesia, as it always end up in hyperbole.  But all the same, I have seen very similar quotes to the third one JotN put up from African troops in the Rhodesian armed forces.  People could educate themselves on the matter, but calling the other party 'Nazi' is generally a simpler course.
Yeah the white man's burden towards "lesser breeds without the law".
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2011, 03:49:55 PM »

Yeah the white man's burden towards "lesser breeds without the law".

Thank you.  I was hoping for an example.
dzheremi
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »

Maaloula, Syria

Not to live there long term, but I would love to do extensive descriptive research on the Western Aramaic dialects spoken in the Anti-Lebanon mountains in Syria before it, y'know, dies. So I would have to live in Maaloula to do so. It looks nice enough! And the people there, both Christians AND Muslims (yes, non-Arabized Muslims in an "Arab" country) are rightly proud of their very unique heritage and struggle to maintain their language, as Maaloula and two other villages in the area are the only places in the world where this dialect is still spoken.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:39:15 PM by dzheremi » Logged

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 06:20:22 PM »

Psshh. I'll take Valinor.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:21:43 PM by Andrew21091 » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2011, 06:25:27 PM »

I wonder which character he would like to be? Not having met him, I do not know whom he most looks like. However, from his speaking style, may be he would like to be Gimli.

I'm going with Arwen... I bet the power and beauty and youthful looks and wisdom and being able to hook up with future royalty and so forth appeals to him. There's just the problem of gender, but that's small peanuts...

Psshh. I'll take the Shire.

Tolkien's or Jackson's? If the former, pre or post industrialization?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2011, 06:26:42 PM »

« Last Edit: Today at 05:21:43 PM by Andrew21091 »

I quoted you before you could edit it.  Grin police
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »

« Last Edit: Today at 05:21:43 PM by Andrew21091 »

I quoted you before you could edit it.  Grin police

Yeah, changed my mind. Thought Valinor would be better. But for my original, I'll take pre-industrialized Tokien Shire.  Grin
celticfan1888
Production Operator - Chemtrusion
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholicism
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »

I'd say the Land Down Under.  Smiley

Forgive my sins.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2011, 07:11:08 PM »

Along with the idiots.

I have always wanted to visit Africa. My father spent two years there in Ethiopia.  I would like to visit 1950's Ethiopia, or Rhodisia during the same period. For their natural beauty and not their politics.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »

Along with the idiots.

I have always wanted to visit Africa. My father spent two years there in Ethiopia.  I would like to visit 1950's Ethiopia, or Rhodisia during the same period. For their natural beauty and not their politics.

From this thread: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,37453.msg593977.html#msg593977
Quote from: Byron
I also believe that my country's migration rate should be radically cut. Sorry but diversity should have its limits - i don't want to see my country overrun by third world minorities or become a third world country.

I don't hate other ethnic groups but would simply prefer it if my country remained predominantly white.

So, you still think Byron wants to go to 50's Rhodesia and South Africa just for the scenery?  Roll Eyes

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: