OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 22, 2014, 08:56:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Silent Prayers, Anaphora, Epiclesis  (Read 3948 times) Average Rating: 0
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« on: July 26, 2011, 04:32:26 PM »

The biggest mishap I've seen?  The audible anaphora/epeclesis and priests praying the silent prayers aloud!!! 

zekarja
High Elder

O Holy Prophet Zechariah, intercede to God for us!

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

The biggest mishap I've seen?  The audible anaphora/epeclesis and priests praying the silent prayers aloud!!! 

I prefer to hear the silent prayers myself. Smiley

As-Salamu alaykum!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 04:44:39 PM »

It's evolution, baby.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

So centuries of tradition should be changed in the USA because individuals want to pick and choose it? I know the protestants have taught most people in this country to have worship focus on the "me" but in Orthodoxy it is usually about "us" and not "me" in fact, submission and taking things as they are are normal experineces.  But then again I grew up with the old timers before the younger me generation converted in and started demanding things that just make no sense.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 05:15:03 PM »

It's evolution, baby.
American evolution.  I'm tired of seeing people sneer pysanky but praise the jesse tree, I'm tired of innovation.  The next thing we'll see if girl altarboys, guitars and everyone holding hands around the "table of sacrifice" and liturgical dancing... all in the name of "they did it that way in the early church."
Want to live that route I'm sure you can find a slew of churches under one column in the yellow pages that will let you fairy dance around the altar while the priest raises the cookie Smiley

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »

It's evolution, baby.

Is that anything like development?

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 11:06:02 PM »

(from the other thread)
The biggest mishap I've seen?  The audible anaphora/epeclesis and priests praying the silent prayers aloud!!!
So centuries of tradition should be changed in the USA because individuals want to pick and choose it? I know the protestants have taught most people in this country to have worship focus on the "me" but in Orthodoxy it is usually about "us" and not "me" in fact, submission and taking things as they are are normal experineces.  But then again I grew up with the old timers before the younger me generation converted in and started demanding things that just make no sense.

As far as I'm aware, the prayers were originally read out loud. They began to be read silently to speed up the service. So the trend is really restoring the original practice.

From Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev:
The active participation of lay people in the Liturgy presupposes the possibility of their responding to the exclamations of the priest and hearing the so-called “silent” prayers. In contemporary church practice these prayers, as a rule, are read by the priest silently, which creates an additional barrier between the priest and his flock. More importantly, this habit deprives the faithful since the main point of the Liturgy passes them by. I have heard many arguments in favour of the practice of silent prayers, but none has seemed convincing to me. The so-called “silent” prayers were originally read aloud by the celebrating clergy. I think that in our time the faithful should have the opportunity to hear these prayers in their entirety, not only their concluding subordinate clauses (these signify that the prayers have been read but do not give the least notion of their content: “That being always guarded by Thy might”, “Singing the triumphant hymn, crying…”, “Thine own of Thine own, we offer unto Thee…”). At least the prayer of the anaphora, which summarizes the essence of the Liturgy, should be read aloud.
http://orthodoxeurope.org/page/12/1.aspx

There are just some things that ought to be restored. Personally, it includes not just the "silent prayers", but also the Kiss of Peace as well. In addition to the parishioners saying "Amen" at the end of each petition during the Epiclesis.
(one note, I noticed in Greece that everyone bowed at the waist, or at least their heads, and remained dead silent during the Anaphora/Epiclesis, I would love for this to spread)

There is then brought to the president of the brethren bread and a cup of wine mixed with water; and he taking them, gives praise and glory to the Father of the universe, through the name of the Son and of the Holy Ghost, and offers thanks at considerable length for our being counted worthy to receive these things at His hands. And when he has concluded the prayers and thanksgivings, all the people present express their assent by saying Amen. This word Amen answers in the Hebrew language to γένοιτο [so be it]. And when the president has given thanks, and all the people have expressed their assent, those who are called by us deacons give to each of those present to partake of the bread and wine mixed with water over which the thanksgiving was pronounced, and to those who are absent they carry away a portion. - St. Justin Martyr, Ch. 65 "First Apology"
http://www.ccel.org/ccel/schaff/anf01.viii.ii.lxv.html
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 11:08:06 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 11:39:53 PM »

(one note, I noticed in Greece that everyone bowed at the waist, or at least their heads, and remained dead silent during the Anaphora/Epiclesis, I would love for this to spread)

This doesn't happen in the States??

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:40:40 PM »

I haven't been to Greek Churches, but I don't see this in the OCA parishes I've attended.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 11:45:13 PM »

I haven't been to Greek Churches, but I don't see this in the OCA parishes I've attended.

Interesting. If it were up to me everyone would prostrate during the anaphora, even on Sundays (gasp).

On topic: I am personally not averse to silent prayers, but I think making too much silent is certainly a liturgical abuse.

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:15 AM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

So centuries of tradition should be changed in the USA because individuals want to pick and choose it? I know the protestants have taught most people in this country to have worship focus on the "me" but in Orthodoxy it is usually about "us" and not "me" in fact, submission and taking things as they are are normal experineces.  But then again I grew up with the old timers before the younger me generation converted in and started demanding things that just make no sense.
Hate to break it to you, but those sorts of minor changes to the liturgy have been going on for as long as there has been a liturgy. If you want to see the liturgy done exactly as it was by St. John Chrysostom, I suggest a time machine, because you aren't going to find it in any church, Orthodox or otherwise.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Warned
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:19 AM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

Hate to break it to you, but those sorts of minor changes to the liturgy have been going on for as long as there has been a liturgy. If you want to see the liturgy done exactly as it was by St. John Chrysostom, I suggest a time machine, because you aren't going to find it in any church, Orthodox or otherwise.

That's a good point. At the same time, it can also be leveled at a lot of the folks in favor of the anaphora prayers being audible, since they argue that this is the ancient practice. Everybody is looking for time machines, just set for different centuries.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 05:59:44 AM »

Surely the best reason for the anaphora prayers remaining inaudible (unintelligible, to be more correct) is a practical one: It is quite distracting to hear the clash of voices of clergy and choir during the most sublime and sacred period of the Liturgy. Anaphora versus We praise You .... ,  This is greatly compounded by the modern tendency for priests to wear radio mikes - what was a distraction becomes a disgraceful cacophony.  Any sense of compunction and reverence is destroyed. Angry Angry Angry
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »

Surely the best reason for the anaphora prayers remaining inaudible (unintelligible, to be more correct) is a practical one: It is quite distracting to hear the clash of voices of clergy and choir during the most sublime and sacred period of the Liturgy. Anaphora versus We praise You .... ,  This is greatly compounded by the modern tendency for priests to wear radio mikes - what was a distraction becomes a disgraceful cacophony.  Any sense of compunction and reverence is destroyed. Angry Angry Angry

In the Antiochian Archdiocese "We praise You..." comes after the audible Anaphora.

LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 06:15:17 AM »

In the Antiochian Archdiocese "We praise You..." comes after the audible Anaphora.

Not the case in Greek or Russian churches.
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:18:18 AM »

Surely the best reason for the anaphora prayers remaining inaudible (unintelligible, to be more correct) is a practical one: It is quite distracting to hear the clash of voices of clergy and choir during the most sublime and sacred period of the Liturgy. Anaphora versus We praise You .... ,  This is greatly compounded by the modern tendency for priests to wear radio mikes - what was a distraction becomes a disgraceful cacophony.  Any sense of compunction and reverence is destroyed. Angry Angry Angry

That would be distracting. Tongue
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:18:36 AM by zekarja » Logged

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2011, 06:41:27 AM »

Surely the best reason for the anaphora prayers remaining inaudible (unintelligible, to be more correct) is a practical one: It is quite distracting to hear the clash of voices of clergy and choir during the most sublime and sacred period of the Liturgy. Anaphora versus We praise You .... ,  This is greatly compounded by the modern tendency for priests to wear radio mikes - what was a distraction becomes a disgraceful cacophony.  Any sense of compunction and reverence is destroyed. Angry Angry Angry

That would be distracting. Tongue

It is quite nice if the "se ymnoumen" / "we praise you" is sung sufficiently quietly.

I don't think it's correct to delay the hymn until after the epiklesis as it actually completes the "ta se ek ton son" / "Your own of Your own" prayer. If seems to make more sense to delay the epiklesis until after the hymn if they are not to be prayed concurrently.

zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2011, 06:43:52 AM »

If seems to make more sense to delay the epiklesis until after the hymn if they are not to be prayed concurrently.

I agree. Smiley I listened to a priest rant in agreement with that before.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 06:44:37 AM by zekarja » Logged

Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2011, 08:04:42 AM »

It just depends on which church you're attending.  I've been to quite a few Greek ones where they do indeed delay the chanting of "We praise you" until after the triple "Amen" of the Anaphora.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »

I never said I want a time machine to take me back anywhere.   I just want the liturgy in my tradition (Slavic) to be performed per the sluzhebnik/Служебникъ.  Looking at the OCA, ROCOR, Ukrainian, ACROD, Serbian Служебникъ it doesn't call for the silent priest prayers/epiclesis to be read aloud.  Sorry, I'm not someone that was welcomed into the family and then came into someone else's house and immediately told everyone how to be. 

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 02:50:49 PM »

Sorry, I'm not someone that was welcomed into the family and then came into someone else's house and immediately told everyone how to be.  

I'm not sure what you are saying.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:51:38 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 03:21:04 PM »

Can't agree.  Hearing "Send down Thy Holy Spirit upon us and upon these gifts here spread forth" was one of 3 related events in my life that reinvigorated my baptism at the age of 17 years old.  Also, the mystically read prayers are too very beautiful to be said silently, in my opinion. Thank God each of the 3 presiding priests who have served my parish over the past 41+ years conduct so the Divine Liturgy.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 04:11:01 PM »

I have yet to see any priest  be that exacting with the rubrics. Keep in mind that we have only had standardized liturgical texts and rubrics for a couple centuries. To become dogmatic over them ignores liturgical history and, I think, the spirit of liturgy in the first place.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2011, 10:18:21 PM »

I never said I want a time machine to take me back anywhere.   I just want the liturgy in my tradition (Slavic) to be performed per the sluzhebnik/Служебникъ.  Looking at the OCA, ROCOR, Ukrainian, ACROD, Serbian Служебникъ it doesn't call for the silent priest prayers/epiclesis to be read aloud.  Sorry, I'm not someone that was welcomed into the family and then came into someone else's house and immediately told everyone how to be. 

Well, it isn't just converts that are calling for this, as I posed above, even Metropolitan Hilarion, who in my opinion, will be the next Patriarch, has even called for it, or at least supported it.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2011, 10:22:07 PM »

Well, it isn't just converts that are calling for this, as I posed above, even Metropolitan Hilarion, who in my opinion, will be the next Patriarch, has even called for it, or at least supported it.

Patriarch of where?  What Metropolitan Hilarion?

akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2011, 10:35:45 PM »

Tangential, but please keep in mind the impetus for the majority of whacky, liturgical changes (by Orthodox standards) comes from the cradle-born, not converts.

It is not the converts who put the organs into the Greek churches.

username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »

Tangential, but please keep in mind the impetus for the majority of whacky, liturgical changes (by Orthodox standards) comes from the cradle-born, not converts.

It is not the converts who put the organs into the Greek churches.

The best church is the church of Sunday morning sleep in because no one argues with anyone in their sleep. At least that is half the world's opinion.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2011, 10:47:25 PM »

I never said I want a time machine to take me back anywhere.   I just want the liturgy in my tradition (Slavic) to be performed per the sluzhebnik/Служебникъ.  Looking at the OCA, ROCOR, Ukrainian, ACROD, Serbian Служебникъ it doesn't call for the silent priest prayers/epiclesis to be read aloud.  Sorry, I'm not someone that was welcomed into the family and then came into someone else's house and immediately told everyone how to be.  

Patriarch of where?  What Metropolitan Hilarion?

I'll repost it:

The active participation of lay people in the Liturgy presupposes the possibility of their responding to the exclamations of the priest and hearing the so-called “silent” prayers. In contemporary church practice these prayers, as a rule, are read by the priest silently, which creates an additional barrier between the priest and his flock. More importantly, this habit deprives the faithful since the main point of the Liturgy passes them by. I have heard many arguments in favour of the practice of silent prayers, but none has seemed convincing to me. The so-called “silent” prayers were originally read aloud by the celebrating clergy. I think that in our time the faithful should have the opportunity to hear these prayers in their entirety, not only their concluding subordinate clauses (these signify that the prayers have been read but do not give the least notion of their content: “That being always guarded by Thy might”, “Singing the triumphant hymn, crying…”, “Thine own of Thine own, we offer unto Thee…”). At least the prayer of the anaphora, which summarizes the essence of the Liturgy, should be read aloud.

It is Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, who currently holds the position that the now-Patriarch Kirill held before the repose of Patriarch Alexis. Due to his amount of accomplishments, position, writing, composing, etc... I could easily see him making Patriarch after +Kirill. (and his theology/church relations is very Orthodox as well!)
He's written 42 books in 12 languages, and has done 7 musical compositions, in addition to being the chairman of the Department of External Church Relations for the Russian Church.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 10:48:46 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2011, 10:53:00 PM »

thanks for reposting, I always don't have time to read every post.  When ya get older your free time becomes less and less and so forth.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »

In my parish, "We Praise you" comes before the audible Epiclesis. 

The only exception is that when Bishop BASIL come to serve the Hierarchical Liturgy, during "We Praise You..." he said the Epiclesis and then immediately prostrated.  People we horrified that they somehow were "left out" of this. 

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
zekarja
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »

In my parish, "We Praise you" comes before the audible Epiclesis.  

The only exception is that when Bishop BASIL come to serve the Hierarchical Liturgy, during "We Praise You..." he said the Epiclesis and then immediately prostrated.  People we horrified that they somehow were "left out" of this.  

Forgive me, I should have said "at my Antiochian parish." Smiley
At my parish we had a visiting older priest do it as your parish does. He told us that that we shouldn't be changing the order of things when having an audible Epiclesis.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 12:44:29 PM by zekarja » Logged

Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2011, 10:33:45 PM »

On Sundays my priest usually reads the silent prayers aloud. The people bow at the waist at "take, eat...", "drink of it all of you...", "make this bread...", " and that which is in this cup..." and "changing them by the Holy Spirit." The last three are ended by "Amen" (the last one a triple "Amen") and those in the altar prostrate after the last of the triple "Amen"s. The last three are occuring at the same time as "We Praise Thee" is sung by the choir, which they start immediately after "Thine Own of Thine Own..."

On weekday Liturgies, however, our priest is more likely to say the prayers silently.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: GOC/HOTCA

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »

My impression overall is that innovations in praxis are OK so long as they arise from human mistakes. If they arise from intentional efforts at reform then they're evil.
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2011, 06:54:16 AM »

I never said I want a time machine to take me back anywhere.   I just want the liturgy in my tradition (Slavic) to be performed per the sluzhebnik/Служебникъ.  Looking at the OCA, ROCOR, Ukrainian, ACROD, Serbian Служебникъ it doesn't call for the silent priest prayers/epiclesis to be read aloud.  Sorry, I'm not someone that was welcomed into the family and then came into someone else's house and immediately told everyone how to be.  

Patriarch of where?  What Metropolitan Hilarion?

I'll repost it:

It is Metropolitan Hilarion Alfeyev, who currently holds the position that the now-Patriarch Kirill held before the repose of Patriarch Alexis. Due to his amount of accomplishments, position, writing, composing, etc... I could easily see him making Patriarch after +Kirill. (and his theology/church relations is very Orthodox as well!)
He's written 42 books in 12 languages, and has done 7 musical compositions, in addition to being the chairman of the Department of External Church Relations for the Russian Church.

Plus he's quite good-looking.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »

My impression overall is that innovations in praxis are OK so long as they arise from human mistakes. If they arise from intentional efforts at reform then they're evil.
Improvement is from the devil, but error is divine?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2011, 08:32:32 AM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

If it makes you happier, the Emperor Justinian outlawed the practice of silent prayers, which originated among the Nestorians, btw.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:30 AM »

Exactly.
ialmisry
Warned
Hypatos

« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2011, 08:39:50 AM »

Exactly.
So St. Basil is burning in hell for revising the DL of St. James the Brother of God, and St. John Chrysostom joined him there for revising St. Basil's DL.  And the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council are burning in hell for their intentional efforts at reforming the calculations of Paschalion.

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »

Exactly.
So St. Basil is burning in hell for revising the DL of St. James the Brother of God, and St. John Chrysostom joined him there for revising St. Basil's DL.  And the Fathers of the First Ecumenical Council are burning in hell for their intentional efforts at reforming the calculations of Paschalion.

You said it.
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

Exactly.

You said it.

I surely hope you don't expect to be taken seriously.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 11:19:55 AM »

Exactly.

You said it.

Why? Are you taking me seriously?
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 11:28:21 AM »

Exactly.

You said it.

sarcasm is really hard to pick up on the internet without accompanying smileys or indicators Wink
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 11:33:20 AM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

If it makes you happier, the Emperor Justinian outlawed the practice of silent prayers, which originated among the Nestorians, btw.

So exactly what chariot racing club would I then be for in Constantinople at that time?  Ok, I guess then since the response to the Epeclesis is a deacon's prayer and the people are now performing diaconal duties I guess then Mary can incense the church while Peter or Johnny recite the litanies.  Why not let Francis or Sue celebrate the proskomedia with the priest while we are at it?  It's ok if we do, since according to ANorth American protestant ideals, if it feels good and makes the individual happy who cares about the scred order orf things?  I guess its ok to invent things and reassign duties assigned to ordained clergy to the laiyity

Jonathan Gress
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:54 AM »

Exactly.

You said it.

sarcasm is really hard to pick up on the internet without accompanying smileys or indicators Wink

I know. I admit I was partly amused by the prospect of winding some people up. But I'll stop now. Smiley
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2011, 01:36:56 PM »

As-Salamu alaykum!

So exactly what chariot racing club would I then be for in Constantinople at that time?  Ok, I guess then since the response to the Epeclesis is a deacon's prayer
According to what rubrics?

and the people are now performing diaconal duties I guess then Mary can incense the church while Peter or Johnny recite the litanies.
Why were the prayers assigned to the deacon?

Why not let Francis or Sue celebrate the proskomedia with the priest while we are at it?  It's ok if we do, since according to ANorth American protestant ideals, if it feels good and makes the individual happy who cares about the scred order orf things?
According to North American Protestant ideals? What North American Protestant ideals? I ask this because your words sound like a tactic I've seen used quite a lot. If you don't like something, smear it by calling it Protestant, even if you can't identify what's so Protestant about it.

I guess its ok to invent things and reassign duties assigned to ordained clergy to the laiyity
And it's equally OK to be a slave to the rubrics? Like everything in the Church, the rubrics were created for us, not us for the rubrics.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: