OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 28, 2014, 01:26:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Doomsdayers show what’s wrong with all religion  (Read 1496 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: May 19, 2011, 07:26:51 PM »

Let nobody doubt that religion hurts people. Good, intelligent, caring people suffer every day and everywhere at the hands of religion, the happy lie.

Religion is used by dishonest people who claim to know the way to the one thing humans want most: immortality. To combat fear of death, religious people ignore their intellect, believe the lie, and follow the preacher, usually blindly and sometimes to the point of insanity.

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/19/my-take-doomsdayers-show-what%e2%80%99s-wrong-with-all-religion/?hpt=C2

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
akimori makoto
Archon

Faith: Non-heretical Christian
Jurisdiction: Fully-sik-hektic archdiocese of Australia, bro

No-one bound by fleshly pleasures is worthy ...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 07:57:09 PM »

Quote from: David Silverman
Like most atheists, I’m a pretty nice person and would never scam someone out of his or her life savings or convince someone to quit a job just to line my pockets I have an axe to grind against Judaism, Christianity and Islam and am completely ignorant of the vast chasms that separate religions from one another and make statements like "religion hurts people" completely and utterly meaningless.

Fixed.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:03:31 PM by akimori makoto » Logged

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 08:08:22 PM »

Well, I got something out of this otherwise useless article.  At the bottom there is a link about the new announcement the CDC put out on how to deal with the coming Zombie Apocalypse.
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:11:28 PM »

Like most atheists, I’m a pretty nice person and would never scam someone out of his or her life savings or convince someone to quit a job just to line my pockets I have an axe to grind against Judaism, Christianity and Islam and am completely ignorant of the vast chasms that separate religions from one another and make meaningless statements like "religion hurts people" completely and utterly meaningless".

Fixed.
+1

The author is cited as being an Atheist since age six. Really? I have heard of seven year old monastics, so I assume anything is possible, but what could have gone on in a six-year-old's life that led to a rejection of belief in God?

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 08:13:55 PM »

Why does the media give space to this kind of inane, undergraduate, said-a-thousand-times-before, insightless drivel?

Why not a piece on eschatology throughout the ages or something even remotely interesting?

And the worst part is the author probably thinks he is so much cleverer than the rest of us.

It makes me angry -- Lord, have mercy!

The Episcopallian road is easy and wide, for many go through it to find destruction. lol sorry channeling Isa.
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2011, 08:15:20 PM »

The author is cited as being an Atheist since age six. Really? I have heard of seven year old monastics, so I assume anything is possible, but what could have gone on in a six-year-old's life that led to a rejection of belief in God?

Don't you know that the earlier you became an atheist, the smarter you are than the rest of us?

See, even my six-year-old self was more sophisticated and truth-perceptive than you believers.

Kasatkin fan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA - Archdiocese of Canada

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 08:16:43 PM »

Like most atheists, I’m a pretty nice person and would never scam someone out of his or her life savings or convince someone to quit a job just to line my pockets I have an axe to grind against Judaism, Christianity and Islam and am completely ignorant of the vast chasms that separate religions from one another and make meaningless statements like "religion hurts people" completely and utterly meaningless".

Fixed.
+1

Clearly they were driven by reason. Wink

If every shylock who uses religion to take advantage of people is a valid argument against religion, shouldn't everyone who uses secular methods to take advantage of people be taken as a valid argument against secularism? Because there are a lot more of the latter.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »

Why does the media give space to this kind of inane, undergraduate, said-a-thousand-times-before, insightless drivel?

Why not a piece on eschatology throughout the ages or something even remotely interesting?

And the worst part is the author probably thinks he is so much cleverer than the rest of us.

Amen and Amen.
CBGardner
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA

Ask w/ tears, seek w/ obedience, knock w/ patience

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2011, 08:35:16 PM »

If every shylock who uses religion to take advantage of people is a valid argument against religion, shouldn't everyone who uses secular methods to take advantage of people be taken as a valid argument against secularism? Because there are a lot more of the latter.

Seriously, why doesn't the reverse of what he proposes apply? The blind leading the blind.

Authentic zeal is not directed towards anything but union in Christ, or against anything but our own fallenness.

"Beardliness is next to Godliness."- Asteriktos
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2011, 08:45:46 PM »

Wow. Not everyone's the same, crimony pete...  Roll Eyes

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »

Fixed.
+1

I became an atheist at around that age when I asked my mom "why did God make thorn bushes?" and didn't get a satisfactory answer.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 05:39:35 AM »

Don't you know that the earlier you became an atheist, the smarter you are than the rest of us?

See, even my six-year-old self was more sophisticated and truth-perceptive than you believers.

Possibly...  Tongue Grin
Saint Iaint
This Poster Has Ignored Multiple Requests to Behave Better
High Elder

Faith: Once Delivered

The Truth Shall Be Reviled

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 07:19:11 AM »

Fixed.
+1

I became an atheist at around that age when I asked my mom "why did God make thorn bushes?" and didn't get a satisfactory answer.

Have you gotten your answer yet?

Now I want to know.

†IC XC†
†NI KA†

Many will follow their shameful ways and will bring the way of truth into disrepute...

Therefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith, not giving heed to Jewish fables and commandments of men who turn from the truth.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 11:30:34 AM »

You're soon gonna see bumper stickers:

Proud Parent of an Atheist
  at x Elementary School
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 11:31:16 AM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2011, 01:41:20 PM »

You're soon gonna see bumper stickers:

Proud Parent of an Atheist
  at x Elementary School

That's an awesome idea! And perhaps another one: "My atheist kid can kick your home schooled kid's ***!"  Tongue
akimori makoto
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 12:59:35 AM »

"California preacher Harold Camping said yesterday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day will actually come on October 21."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/rapture-actually-coming-in-october-says-camping-20110524-1f1ln.html#ixzz1NF7WMT9L

I can only sigh.

podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

SS Cyril and Methodius Church, Mercer, PA

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 09:52:42 AM »

"California preacher Harold Camping said yesterday his prophecy that the world would end was off by five months because Judgment Day will actually come on October 21."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/rapture-actually-coming-in-october-says-camping-20110524-1f1ln.html#ixzz1NF7WMT9L

I can only sigh.

I will post an excerpt from my comments on the other thread on the same subject as they are pertinent.

"In my opinion, we waste a lot of time quibbling with schismatics around here and very little time condemning the true heretics and distorters of the faith. People like Camping and LaHaye create the mass culture's popular distortion and mocking of Christian Faith and they do much to diminish all of the rest of us as they con the gullible out of house and home.

Since those rapturist types don't believe that we and the Romans are even Christians, we ought not to keep our mouths shut and we need to educate our own about the truth. How many folks in your own parish probably think that the Rapture heresies are actually biblical and part of tradition, rather than a fever induced fantasy of a 19th century Scottish girl? Don't assume none, there are far, far more than you want to know. Ask your priest. He will tell you. Our Bishops need to preach the truth about these issues and use our publications and media outlets to denounce this nonsense rather than each other."
ilyazhito
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:04:20 PM »

This is weird. These are merely some fanatics. There was a theory that the world would end this past saturday, but if God doesn't want us to know, why speculate?
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2011, 08:33:58 AM »

I don't agree with the author.

I've seen elderly people cared for in the homes of the Amish, a long standing tradition of them taking care of elderly.
I've seen a mennonite give away all the money he had (life savings) to somebody in need.
I've seen actions of Amish and Mennonites to help others in need to rebuild homes, barns, and help families in need.

This is all based in their faith and religion.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
David 2007

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2011, 02:25:23 PM »

Fixed.
+1

Atheism and Secularism are two separate things. By the definition of secularism, they have to be. Secularism is a civil framework that allows people of different beliefs or non-belief to operate equally under a law that doesn't discriminate. It is separation of church and state.

Secularism is beneficial for the survival of the Orthodox tradition. It ensures, that one faction (ie. Rome) doesn't suddenly become the supreme ruler over everything religious and be sanctioned by the state.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 02:28:24 PM by David 2007 » Logged
David 2007

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 02:27:35 PM »

As anyone noticed the large amount of ex-Fundamentalists/Evangelicals...that are now part of this New Atheist movement?

They abandoned their belief, but not their mindset.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »

As anyone noticed the large amount of ex-Fundamentalists/Evangelicals...that are now part of this New Atheist movement?

I make this point all the time. Many anti-Christians (the many who think Christianity is always of a fundamentalist stripe) mock the Christian faith for its naive reading of the Bible, the one they continue to hold on to after rejecting the Trinity as God. When you attempt to suggest other hermeneutical approaches, they immediately right you off for "picking and choosing" how you understand what you do, even if you are agreeing with their own stance on something! They are aChristian fundamentalists. I don't like like the word atheist, cause it is unscriptural. Everyone worships at the feet of some god. 

You can take the fundie outta the pew . . . well I have got nothing clever here.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
David 2007

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2011, 05:31:07 PM »

I make this point all the time. Many anti-Christians (the many who think Christianity is always of a fundamentalist stripe) mock the Christian faith for its naive reading of the Bible, the one they continue to hold on to after rejecting the Trinity as God. When you attempt to suggest other hermeneutical approaches, they immediately right you off for "picking and choosing" how you understand what you do, even if you are agreeing with their own stance on something! They are aChristian fundamentalists. I don't like like the word atheist, cause it is unscriptural. Everyone worships at the feet of some god. 

You can take the fundie outta the pew . . . well I have got nothing clever here.

EXACTLY!  A lot of them have surprising small exposure to other Christian denominations.

I was a non-Catholic at Catholic school. I never really experienced Evangelicals (I didn't even know what the word meant) until my late 20s when the internet became popular and I got to speak to American Christians.

I was very sheltered in my little corner of Northern Australia. I lived in a Tourist town, so we were exposed to many foreigners. It's a very laid back place where everyone is called 'mate', wears sandals, shorts, and are usually chilled out.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: