OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 03:11:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Becoming a Catechumen next Sunday  (Read 1345 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:02 PM »

I've had an eventful last four days or so. I might post about a few of the things in detail, but as I might be terribly busy for the next few days, I wanted to pass this news along.

My Priest and I were to meet prior to Nativity to discuss ostensibly my becoming catechumen. Due to difficulties for both of us, we had to keep tabling the discussion.

We met this week. And I wasn't sure what the timeline would be, but we talked for a bit and went over some questions regarding the Liturgy and he said let's do it next Sunday.

He asked if I had a sponsor in mind (and I did) but I asked him to choose someone who he thought would be a "good fit" and he mentioned the man I had in mind.

Not that everyone reads my posts and commits them to memory as they should, but while this is certainly something I know is right and want, it also a bit frightening to me.

So everyone please pray for me.

I now am trying to see if the rural Baptist church I was baptized in has any record of it.

Thanks to everyone at OC.net for your infos, forbearance, time and effort you put in here. It certainly has been of help along the way.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »

Many years!

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 11:45:59 PM »

Congrats!

What exactly is a sponsor?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 11:50:40 PM »

Congrats!

What exactly is a sponsor?

a godparent.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
quietmorning
Quiet Morning
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 12:09:20 AM »

Congratulations! 

Many years!!

Lord have mercy!!
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »

That's great!
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 01:11:17 AM »

Congratulations!!

Lord have Mercy.
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

O most Holy Theotokos, save us.

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 02:28:53 AM »

God grant you many years.

Know that I am praying for you.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 04:41:36 AM »

I have read your post and committed it to memory.
Fortunately we still pray for the catechumens at our Liturgies, so you will be remembered!

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 05:13:36 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

I now am trying to see if the rural Baptist church I was baptized in has any record of it.

Why this is necessary?
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 05:14:06 AM by Alpo » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 09:20:48 AM »

Many years!

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Why this is necessary?

Some jurisdictions will accept a convert by chrismation if they can provide proof of baptism and affirm that it was done using a Trinitarian formula.

I had a lot of fun tracking down any record of my baptism: the Baptist church I had been baptized in had been closed for almost two decades. 

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
Benjamin the Red
Recovering Calvinist
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America, Diocese of Dallas and the South ||| American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me.

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »

God grant you many years!

And Lord, have mercy. May He be guidance and strength as you enroll into the catechumenate and begin struggling through this Great and Holy Lent.

"Hades is not a place, no, but a state of the soul. It begins here on earth. Just so, paradise begins in the soul of a man here in the earthly life. Here we already have contact with the divine..." -St. John, Wonderworker of Shanghai and San Francisco, Homily On the Sunday of Orthodoxy
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2011, 10:13:09 AM »

Congratulations! God grant you many years!

bogdan
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 10:18:58 AM »

Many years!
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2011, 07:29:08 PM »

When my husband needed his baptismal certificate just before his Holy Chrismation, we found that the Catholic Church had failed to duly record it. However, they had provided us with a certificate when the Baptism/Confirmation had occurred. So, to get an updated certificate, I had to verify that I witnessed the event as both his godparents were deceased.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Russell

Jurisdiction: Baptised Russian Orthodox

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2011, 07:53:58 PM »

Many years!

Mathe 24:36
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek by desire; Antiochian by necessity

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2011, 10:26:17 PM »

Congratulations and good luck in your journey.  May you see the light of illumination as we journey together to our Lord's Pascha!

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2011, 10:52:59 PM »

May the Lord bless you with strength, wisdom, compassion, and humility as you undertake this trip.  Many years!

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »

Wait, I heard that Metropolitan Jonah said that all former Protestants had to be baptized regardless. Did I miss something?

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Maria
Orthodox Christian
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2011, 11:34:59 PM »

Wait, I heard that Metropolitan Jonah said that all former Protestants had to be baptized regardless. Did I miss something?

You are kidding? Right?

Glory to Jesus Christ!
Glory to Him forever!
Ninjaly Awesome

Faith: Orthodox Catachumen
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »

No. I seriously heard this somewhere.

饥 渴 慕 义 的 人 有 福 了 ! 因 为 他 们 必 得 饱 足 。

馬 太 福 音 5:6
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

No. I seriously heard this somewhere.

I was baptized Baptist and received into the OCA by chrismation this past oct. I would not expect the process in which Orthonorm is sacramentally received into the Church to be any different than my experience, provided he is able to get a copy of his baptism certificate and proof that it was a trinitarian baptism.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 12:05:27 AM by Melodist » Logged

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 12:33:33 AM »

You are kidding? Right?

Clearly not as practiced by the Priest at my parish, others Priests I have had contact with, and Fr. Thomas Hopko in particular.

If it is done in a Trinitarian manner, then it is considered "valid" in some manner within the Church according to the OCA Priests I had spoken with or heard speak on the matter. My Priest said he will have to speak to the Bishop-Elect in particular on this matter to see if he agrees with this practice.

Clearly there is disagreement on this matter and I from what I have read and heard, and like in most disputes in these issues, there are very valid points on all sides. But in practice I really don't "care". I will just do what I am asked. It's a relief these things are not up to me.

Thanks to everyone for your prayers.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2011, 03:23:32 AM »

Lord, have mercy!

Why this is necessary?

Some jurisdictions will accept a convert by chrismation if they can provide proof of baptism and affirm that it was done using a Trinitarian formula.

I had a lot of fun tracking down any record of my baptism: the Baptist church I had been baptized in had been closed for almost two decades. 

I was only chrismated and nobody asked me of any proof of baptism. I wonder why American churches demand some proof.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »

I was only chrismated and nobody asked me of any proof of baptism. I wonder why American churches demand some proof.
Since the American - really other western countries with mixed ethnic and religious heritage, like Canada, Australia, etc. - religious scene is so chaotic, some people really don't know if they've been baptized or not ("I'm not sure if my parents had me baptized/christened" is not terribly uncommon.) Also, the proof might be needed to affirm that the baptism was trinitarian. That is not always certain. I remember seeing a list somewhere of denominations whose baptisms could be expected to be trinitarian, those whose baptisms may or not have been trinitarian, and those whose baptisms almost certainly were not.

When I was chrismated, my word was acceptable proof, as I was coming from a denomination that was well-known by my priest.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:10 AM »

A "witness" would also suffice. But most of my family is dead other than my younger brother who was too young at the time to be taken seriously. I know it was Trinitarian; it is a memory rather etched in my mind although I was young when it happened. Whether single dunk or triple, could've been either.

My Priest assured me (I didn't need) it is not because he didn't trust me, but it would good to know how it was done, too avoid "re-baptism" and to avoid "un-baptism" (the latter is my silly word).

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: