OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 10:35:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to consider Roman Catholics  (Read 7773 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA (Old Calendar)

« on: December 07, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »

I consider them as all members of the true faith with apparent misunderstandings between them.

And it's cool if I consider the Roman Catholics this way too, right?
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 12:45:28 AM »

I personally do not understand why you would. If I did, I would still be one. There would have been no reason for me to become Orthodox. It also explains why people like Papist, lubeltri, and elijahmaria are still Roman Catholics: they believe they are a part of the true faith. I can respect and admire certain aspects of their faith, devotion and traditions without believing that they are a part of the true faith.

BTW, is that quote in context? It seems that Ortho_cat is talking about our non-Chalcedonian friends.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
Rufus
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: GOA

Nafpliotis with sunglasses and a cigar.

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:11:43 AM »

I consider them as all members of the true faith with apparent misunderstandings between them.

And it's cool if I consider the Roman Catholics this way too, right?

Not if it's heresy.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 01:15:08 AM »

Well now that this post has been removed into an exclusive context, the sarcasm and point of the post will probably be lost on posters perusing the threads.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: AOCA-DWMA

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 08:42:46 AM »

I've never been very good at discerning sarcasm... Tongue
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 12:27:13 PM »

I personally do not understand why you would. If I did, I would still be one. There would have been no reason for me to become Orthodox. It also explains why people like Papist, lubeltri, and elijahmaria are still Roman Catholics: they believe they are a part of the true faith. I can respect and admire certain aspects of their faith, devotion and traditions without believing that they are a part of the true faith.

BTW, is that quote in context? It seems that Ortho_cat is talking about our non-Chalcedonian friends.

In Christ,
Andrew
Yup. I believe that the Catholic Church (the communion to which I belong) is the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church founded by Jesus.

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 12:42:06 PM »

A very wide and generic question...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »

In Christ,
Andrew

I believe the same thing about Orthodoxy.  The reason I don't convert is that I don't believe either one is heretical, so there's nothing that I have to recant.  As long as Orthodoxy tries to force me to recant anything that I believe to be a part of revelation, then I will remain where I am.

M.

JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 02:37:12 PM »

Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would lead the Church into all truth. To me this means that where the Church is, there is the fullness of dogmatic truth. I do not accept Elijahmaria's claim that there are no real dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, chiefly because to do so would be to reject the consensus of the Holy Fathers on the issue.

Perhaps I will be able to judge Roman Catholics when I have made sense of the following two verses:

Quote from: Matthew 12:30 (KJV)
He that is not with me is against me; and he that gathereth not with me scattereth abroad.
Quote from: Luke 9:50 (KJV)
And Jesus said unto him, Forbid him not: for he that is not against us is for us.

Until then, I will just try to follow the path of repentance laid out for me by the Holy Catholic Apostolic Church.

I wish all the Roman Catholics on here well.

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 02:42:12 PM »

Jesus promised that the Holy Spirit would lead the Church into all truth. To me this means that where the Church is, there is the fullness of dogmatic truth. I do not accept Elijahmaria's claim that there are no real dogmatic differences between Orthodoxy and Roman Catholicism, chiefly because to do so would be to reject the consensus of the Holy Fathers on the issue.

And yet most of the posters on here accept that there are no real dogmatic differences between the Orthodox and the Mono(Mia)physites. I'm just pointing out how selective everyone's being. At least the Roman Catholics actually accept Chalcedon.
JLatimer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 02:58:34 PM »

And yet most of the posters on here accept that there are no real dogmatic differences between the Orthodox and the Mono(Mia)physites. I'm just pointing out how selective everyone's being. At least the Roman Catholics actually accept Chalcedon.

Yes; at least they do. Glory to God! I, for one, do not accept either that there are no dogmatic differences between us and the non-Chalcedonians. Though I find the issue more confusing; the confusion, I think, only shows the inadequacy of my reason and understanding. I have to defer to the Holy Fathers. As far as "considering" the non-Chalcedonians or the Roman Catholics, ISTM we should consider them with discernment and love. Since I am not very loving or discerning, the more I think about it, the less I feel like considering them at all. I mean considering in terms of judging. Sorry if I'm not being very helpful.

I hope all our Roman Catholic friends on here will be saved.

I know Orthodoxy is the truth, but I also know that truth calls me to be humble, and that I fail in this every moment.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 03:00:19 PM by JLatimer » Logged

1 Samuel 25:22 (KJV)
So and more also do God unto the enemies of David, if I leave of all that pertain to him by the morning light any that pisseth against the wall.
Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 06:48:15 PM »

You do not consider OO closer in faith to the EO than the RC?
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 07:11:40 PM »

Consider us adorable.  Grin

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 07:19:23 PM »

Oh come now. Even I, one of the most Anti-Chalcedonian posters on here, accept that the two of us have far more in common than you do with the Romanists. The fact that we do not pay lip service to Chalcedon is a rather minor difference compared to all the deviations of Rome.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »

Oh come now. Even I, one of the most Anti-Chalcedonian posters on here, accept that the two of us have far more in common than you do with the Romanists. The fact that we do not pay lip service to Chalcedon is a rather minor difference compared to all the deviations of Rome.
There's that shadow organization again.

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 08:25:08 PM »

My sentiments exactly (exact for the anti-chalcedonian part) Smiley
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2010, 08:35:41 PM »

Consider us adorable.  Grin

Definitely.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2010, 08:37:18 PM »

Mono(Mia)physites

That's a new one.  What's a Mono(Mia)physite?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 08:38:07 PM by Salpy » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2010, 08:40:41 PM »

Mono(Mia)physites

Extra-strength!

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »

Mono(Mia)physites

Extra-strength!
You always post the best pictures.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2010, 08:48:19 PM »

Mono(Mia)physites

Extra-strength!
You always post the best pictures.

It's my stress relief.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2010, 10:01:56 PM »

Consider us fully orthodox.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 12:13:35 AM »

Consider us fully orthodox.

No way!  Undecided

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2010, 12:14:40 AM »

Stop trying to be deceptive. You know exactly what I mean.

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »

If I ever get to Rome I'll let you know, it's on my Bucket List...

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2010, 01:05:58 PM »

What an uncharitable accusation. I am not being deceptive. Just confused. I know of no group of people that call themselves "The Romanists". Is it like a new superhero team? You know, like the Justice Leaguie or The Avengers?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:06:36 PM by Papist » Logged

elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 02:57:30 PM »

Consider us sacramental.  Consider us militant.  Consider us the mystical body.  Consider us triumphant.  Consider us one.  Consider us holy. Consider us catholic.  Consider us apostolic.  Consider us the fullness of Christ's Church.  Consider us communion.  Consider us ancient.  Consider us patristic.  Consider us of Tradition.  Consider us of Scripture.  Consider us active.  Consider us hesychast.  Consider us as the communion of saints.  Consider us the one true Church.

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 03:14:26 PM »

Consider us sacramental.  Consider us militant.  Consider us the mystical body.  Consider us triumphant.  Consider us one.  Consider us holy. Consider us catholic.  Consider us apostolic.  Consider us the fullness of Christ's Church.  Consider us communion.  Consider us ancient.  Consider us patristic.  Consider us of Tradition.  Consider us of Scripture.  Consider us active.  Consider us hesychast.  Consider us as the communion of saints.  Consider us the one true Church.

Back in the 13th century they invented the comma and the "and".  Grin Cheesy

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 03:15:41 PM »

Consider us sacramental.  Consider us militant.  Consider us the mystical body.  Consider us triumphant.  Consider us one.  Consider us holy. Consider us catholic.  Consider us apostolic.  Consider us the fullness of Christ's Church.  Consider us communion.  Consider us ancient.  Consider us patristic.  Consider us of Tradition.  Consider us of Scripture.  Consider us active.  Consider us hesychast.  Consider us as the communion of saints.  Consider us the one true Church.

That we are, the Mystical Body of Christ, the Universal Ark of Salvation.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 03:16:12 PM by Papist » Logged

Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »

What an uncharitable accusation. I am not being deceptive. Just confused. I know of no group of people that call themselves "The Romanists". Is it like a new superhero team? You know, like the Justice Leaguie or The Avengers?

You knew it was coming.  Grin

I'm going to need this.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2010, 03:19:48 PM »

You knew it was coming.  Grin
Another picture that I can't see from work. Every fun internet site in the world is blocked here. lol

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2010, 03:40:11 PM »

What an uncharitable accusation. I am not being deceptive. Just confused. I know of no group of people that call themselves "The Romanists".

More attempts at being deceptive.

But you're not fooling me.

Yes, it is true that there is no group which self-identifies by the phrase.

In spite of that, however, I am confident that you know which group I am referring to by it.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2010, 03:41:03 PM »

No!!  Lips Sealed

Ortho_cat
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2010, 03:51:56 PM »

I'm sold.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2010, 03:53:51 PM »

I'm sold.

LOL.

I'm going to need this.
Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2010, 04:12:52 PM »

It astounds me that whenever someone on this forum disagrees with Rome, every catholic poster here jumps on it as if that person had no right to say so. Is it the "big powerful Church" mentality? Huh
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 04:13:05 PM by Rufus » Logged
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2010, 04:15:55 PM »

yes, they cite it as evidence of Ultramontanism, which shows we do not share the same Faith with them on that Council either. At least, looking at the Fourth Ecumeical Council through the lens of the Fifth Ecumenical Council, the EO and the OO see the same Faith. The Vatican, in view of its insistence of Chalcedon being the proof of papal infallibility and Ultramontanism and denying the fact of the Fifth Ecumenical Council meeting and dogmatizing over Pope Vigilius' vigorous opposition, for which the Council struck him from the diptychs, has a different faith, that of the filioque and IC.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
elijahmaria
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2010, 04:54:45 PM »

It astounds me that whenever someone on this forum disagrees with Rome, every catholic poster here jumps on it as if that person had no right to say so. Is it the "big powerful Church" mentality? Huh

I expect you'd like us to take the distortions of what we believe and say thank you?

Ok.

Thank you for distorting what I believe as a Catholic and what my Church teaches.  Thank you for seeing me as heterodox. 

In Christ,

M.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2010, 05:25:22 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear one more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:27:10 PM by PoorFoolNicholas » Logged
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear on more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes
As soon as EOs give lying about what we believe a rest.  Smiley

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:17 PM »

I expect you'd like us to take the distortions of what we believe and say thank you?

Ok.

Thank you for distorting what I believe as a Catholic and what my Church teaches.  Thank you for seeing me as heterodox. 

In Christ,

M.

When you insist that we believe all the same things as you do but just don't know it, someone's belifs are going to inevitably get distorted.

And, as far as I know, it's not a distortion to say that you believe communion with Rome is a crucial unity factor in the Church. Hence, Romanists.

If I go onto a Roman Catholic furum, I will inevitably be told by most people, if not everyone, that the Orthodox Church is schismatic. That fact that we do not call ourselves schismatics has no bearing on whether we actually are. Arians did not call themselves heretics, but that was still an accurate description of them. The fact that you do not call yourselves Romanists has no bearing in whether you actually are.

You can clarify what you believe all you want, but you have no right to insist that everyone agree with you.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2010, 05:28:31 PM »

What an uncharitable accusation. I am not being deceptive. Just confused. I know of no group of people that call themselves "The Romanists".

More attempts at being deceptive.

But you're not fooling me.

Yes, it is true that there is no group which self-identifies by the phrase.

In spite of that, however, I am confident that you know which group I am referring to by it.
How can you be so confident when you refuse to tell me who this group is?

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2010, 05:30:36 PM »

Ok.

Thank you for distorting what I believe as a Catholic and what my Church teaches.  Thank you for seeing me as heterodox.  

In Christ,

M.

When you insist that we believe all the same things as you do but just don't know it, someone's belifs are going to inevitably get distorted.

And, as far as I know, it's not a distortion to say that you believe communion with Rome is a crucial unity factor in the Church. Hence, Romanists.

If I go onto a Roman Catholic furum, I will inevitably be told by most people, if not everyone, that the Orthodox Church is schismatic. That fact that we do not call ourselves schismatics has no bearing on whether we actually are. Arians did not call themselves heretics, but that was still an accurate description of them. The fact that you do not call yourselves Romanists has no bearing in whether you actually are.

You can clarify what you believe all you want, but you have no right to insist that everyone agree with you.
But from what I understand, there is either no such group called "The Romanists" or they are a super secret shadow organization to which Deusveritasest belongs. Why do I suspect that he belongs to this group? Because he is so insistent on hiding the identity of the Romanists.
Perhaps like this group:

Who controls the British crown?
Who keeps the metric system down?
We do! We do!
Who leaves Atlantis off the maps?
Who keeps the Martians under wraps?
We do! We do!
Who holds back the electric car?
Who makes Steve Gutenberg a star?
We do! We do!
Who robs cave fish of their sight?
Who rigs every Oscar night?
We do! We do!

« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 05:34:10 PM by Papist » Logged

Rufus
OC.net guru

« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2010, 05:33:46 PM »

Yes, we as the Orthodox have no clue what the Roman Catholic Church teaches. Can the RC give it a rest? I  am Orthodox because I understand what the RC teaches and I reject those teachings. If I hear on more catholic claim we "just don't understand their faith" I'm going to puke. Seriously. Roll Eyes

Do you want him to puke? Shocked
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2010, 05:36:25 PM »

Do you want him to puke? Shocked
If that's what he is into. I'm not here to judge. (BTW, when some one says that they are not judging, they always are super-secretly judging)

Almost as super-secret as:

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: