OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 07:15:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: how to start speaking to your spiritual Father?  (Read 765 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: November 16, 2010, 11:14:08 PM »

well, as I'm sure usually happens, I have developed a strong relationship to my Spiritual Father.  he really has replaced my dad as a father figure, since my parents divorce.  he has become a role model for me, and I'd be lucky if I become half the person he is. 

well, I am suddenly wanting his opinion on several issues in my life, but I am having trouble talking to him.  I have no trouble confessing to him, but I just can't bring up a long conversation about anything potentially embarrassing that I'm dealing with, but I do so crave his opinions.

how can I get passed that embarrassing awkwardness and have a real "grown-up" discussion with him?

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »

Ask him out for a beer?  Cheesy
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 11:32:37 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 11:36:34 PM »

lol, perhaps if I wasn't 16!  Cheesy

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
FormerReformer
Convertodox of the convertodox
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: I'll take (e) for "all of the above"

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:43 PM »

lol, perhaps if I wasn't 16!  Cheesy

Coffee always works.  I don't THINK they've started IDing for coffee yet.

"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »

How about something like:

"Bless, Father!
I have a few "touchy" subjects that have been bothering me and I would truly value your advice and could benefit from your wisdom and experience.
Do you think you might have some time available in the near future, to just have a talk?  Maybe, I can stop by after school this afternoon?"

Don't be shy....just dive in!  If he's half as "good" as you say, he'll understand, pick up on the cues and jump in to help you.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
authio
Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 01:32:10 AM »

well, as I'm sure usually happens, I have developed a strong relationship to my Spiritual Father.  he really has replaced my dad as a father figure, since my parents divorce.  he has become a role model for me, and I'd be lucky if I become half the person he is. 

well, I am suddenly wanting his opinion on several issues in my life, but I am having trouble talking to him.  I have no trouble confessing to him, but I just can't bring up a long conversation about anything potentially embarrassing that I'm dealing with, but I do so crave his opinions.

how can I get passed that embarrassing awkwardness and have a real "grown-up" discussion with him?

Trevor, my brother in Christ.  This was MY life!  Don't you dare steal it!   Wink

Whenever I mention it to the Mrs, she recommends I ask for a meeting during his office hours.  He is always really willing to make a meeting time work, and it is extremely beneficial to bounce ideas off him. 

Remember, you will always have to make your own decisions!

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 01:38:09 AM »

Trevor, my brother in Christ.  This was MY life!  Don't you dare steal it!   Wink

Whenever I mention it to the Mrs, she recommends I ask for a meeting during his office hours.  He is always really willing to make a meeting time work, and it is extremely beneficial to bounce ideas off him. 

Remember, you will always have to make your own decisions!
lol, I'm afraid I'll have to keep it, as I'm finally on the cusp of the "happily ever after" part!

Altar Server
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian(as of 12/18/10)
Jurisdiction: OCA

Most Holy Theotokos Save Us!

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »

Trevor,

You can always bring the issues your struggling with up in confession.

All my hope I place in you, O Mother of God, keep me under your protection!
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2010, 11:33:59 PM »

Trevor I truly wish you the best in your conversation with your spiritual father, with a great connection as you say it should be fairly easy you can get some of the other stuff off your chest. I'm willing to bet, once you do get it off your chest how much more relived you will be.

Not to distract from Trevor but I have a similar issue. I'd love to become an orthodox Christian, but how do I approach the question to the priest of the church? What do I say, I've never met him before.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
authio
Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 01:11:39 AM »

I'd love to become an orthodox Christian, but how do I approach the question to the priest of the church? What do I say, I've never met him before.

Do you attend a large parish?  Do you know other people in the parish?  If the former is the case, tell someone who looks in charge of something that you want to meet the priest.  If the latter is the case, ask whoever you know in the parish to introduce you.  Either way, you'll get a personal introduction, and the priest should be able to remember you.

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 01:20:51 AM »

Yeah this parish is huge, so I have no idea how I could get into contact with him. I think I saw some people with name tags on them, so I assume that has something to do with being church officials.

I just don't know how to approach him. Do I put my right hand over my left, palms up, say "Bless, Father"? I don't want to disrespect him in any way.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 01:53:33 AM »

Yeah this parish is huge, so I have no idea how I could get into contact with him. I think I saw some people with name tags on them, so I assume that has something to do with being church officials.

I just don't know how to approach him. Do I put my right hand over my left, palms up, say "Bless, Father"? I don't want to disrespect him in any way.

Ask someone with a nametag to introduce you to the priest.

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: