OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 05:55:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Comments on OO Mitres  (Read 3925 times) Average Rating: 0
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« on: July 07, 2010, 12:57:33 PM »

This was split off from a discussion on OO altars:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28033.new.html#new

Salpy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Altars Sure Look Latin, Including the Papal Looking Hats Miters or the way they cross themselves left to right,,,I  don't like any of those Looks...No Unity i say until All Latin Influences are discarded thrown out.... Grin

I suspect....
When the Greeks and the Armenians have a Scuffle at the Church of the Resurrection It Because of the Papal Looking Hats Miters..... Grin

I could Never Attend a Armenian Church if A Bishop Was Present ,The Urge would be to great to Flick the Papal Miter Off And Stomp On it..... Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:54:22 PM by Salpy » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

The Altars Sure Look Latin, Including the Papal Looking Hats Miters or the way they cross themselves left to right,,,I  don't like any of those Looks...No Unity i say until All Latin Influences are discarded thrown out.... Grin

I suspect....
When the Greeks and the Armenians have a Scuffle at the Church of the Resurrection It Because of the Papal Looking Hats Miters..... Grin

I could Never Attend a Armenian Church if A Bishop Was Present ,The Urge would be to great to Flick the Papal Miter Off And Stomp On it..... Grin
Strange statements on your part man.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Gisasargavak

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church - Holy See of Echmiadzin

Առէ'ք, Կերէ'ք այս է մարմին իմ:

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:11:33 PM »

You would have a blast when a bishop officiates the Liturgy. During the second hymn, the bishop kneels and prays at the altar, then two deacons face each other and hold up his hat for the congregation to see (and venerate?) lol. This goes on for about 5 minutes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:11:59 PM by Gisasargavak » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 01:19:46 PM »

The Altars Sure Look Latin, Including the Papal Looking Hats Miters or the way they cross themselves left to right,,,I  don't like any of those Looks...No Unity i say until All Latin Influences are discarded thrown out.... Grin

I suspect....

Are you Following My Posts...Im a True Orthodox Christian ,Give Me Orthodoxy Or give me Death...Theres nothing Else... Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 01:21:44 PM by stashko » Logged

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

The Altars Sure Look Latin, Including the Papal Looking Hats Miters or the way they cross themselves left to right,,,I  don't like any of those Looks...No Unity i say until All Latin Influences are discarded thrown out.... Grin

I suspect....

Are you Following My Posts...Im a True Orthodox Christian ,Give Me Orthodoxy Or give me Death...There nothing Else... Grin
Yes, I kind of do follow your posts because I am continually surprised by them.

You are right. I apologize for having sacked Constantinople. I really need to stop doing that.
Gisasargavak

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »

Are you Following My Posts...Im a True Orthodox Christian ,Give Me Orthodoxy Or give me Death...Theres nothing Else... Grin

I think you were being sarcastic, but I hope you consider the Armenian Church as an Orthodox Church. We are after all the first Christian nation. Sad
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 01:41:45 PM »

No Unity i say until All Latin Influences are discarded thrown out.... Grin

Well, our Serb brothers could lead by example by first discarding the Tome of Leo.    Wink

It's just a hat, Stashko.   Smiley

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:51:09 PM »

I suspect....

Oh dear, wait till you see our other OO bishops wearing "turbans". You may confuse them for the Taliban who cross themselves like the Latins Shocked

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 06:00:44 PM »

I suspect....

Oh dear, wait till you see our other OO bishops wearing "turbans". You may confuse them for the Taliban who cross themselves like the Latins Shocked

Turbans are Great love them ,the Balkan saying is Better the Sultans turban than the tiera [Miter ]of  rome anyday... Grin As a serb i have a tee shirt i wear proudly with that saying,written in serbian cirilitsa... Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 06:02:18 PM by stashko » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 06:16:06 PM »

I suspect....

Turbans are Great love them ,the Balkan saying is Better the Sultans turban than the tiera [Miter ]of  rome anyday... Grin As a serb i have a tee shirt i wear proudly with that saying,written in serbian cirilitsa... Grin

LOL, I guess our bishops took that expression too literally. But, our Coptic priests may also drive you into a Miter hating rage! Good thing thier hand crosses are pretty heavy & solid as they are valuable weapons against little brats (Not that I know from personal experience  Wink ) and possibly angry Stashkos

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 06:34:36 PM »

I suspect....

LOL, I guess our bishops took that expression too literally. But, our Coptic priests may also drive you into a Miter hating rage! Good thing thier hand crosses are pretty heavy & solid as they are valuable weapons against little brats (Not that I know from personal experience  Wink ) and possibly angry Stashkos
All i can say is dump the latin Influenced traditions  and get back to your Ancient Orthodox Way [Staza Pravoslavna]...then we can talk unity.... Grin Im against any unity with rome .....

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 06:55:42 PM »

This was split off from a discussion on OO altars:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28033.new.html#new

Salpy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I suspect....

Wow.  Angry

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 06:57:25 PM »

I think you were being sarcastic, but I hope you consider the Armenian Church as an Orthodox Church. We are after all the first Christian nation. Sad

That doesn't mean anything. It's a perfectly legitimate opinion from a Chalcedonian perspective to regard the Armenian church and its sister churches as unorthodox.

Also, it's entirely possible that Osroene was the first Christian nation.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 06:58:08 PM »

Well, our Serb brothers could lead by example by first discarding the Tome of Leo.    Wink

laugh laugh laugh

*thumbs up*

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 06:59:13 PM »

All i can say is dump the latin Influenced traditions  and get back to your Ancient Orthodox Way [Staza Pravoslavna]...then we can talk unity.... Grin Im against any unity with rome .....

Oh brother.  Roll Eyes

Gisasargavak

« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 07:14:28 PM »

That doesn't mean anything. It's a perfectly legitimate opinion from a Chalcedonian perspective to regard the Armenian church and its sister churches as unorthodox.

No, it's not.

No, it wasn't.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 07:22:44 PM »

How is that possable,,Holy Scripture say's it was given to the Jews first then to the Greeks,,The First Christian Nation...Ill believe What Scripture Says About it .... Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:23:32 PM by stashko » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2010, 07:24:51 PM »

No, it's not.

No, it wasn't.

Ugh.  Roll Eyes

It would be appropriate if you explain your responses instead of just saying "no".

Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »

On a serious note speaking of Oriental Orthodox mitres. Where did the mitres that Armenian bishops as well as Coptic priests come from? What is the history behind them?
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2010, 07:29:39 PM »

How is that possable,,Holy Scripture say's it was given to the Jews first then to the Greeks,,The First Christian Nation...Ill believe What Scripture Says About it .... Grin

Staskho, we are applying the use of the word "nation" which includes the reality of state, rather than simply a people, an ethnicity. Given this definition, the Jews cannot be seen as the first Christian nation because their state officials never accepted Christianity.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:29:55 PM by deusveritasest » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 07:30:52 PM »

He's talking about Armenia being the first nation to make Christianity the official state religion.

Deusveritasest brings up King Apkar, who believed in Christ during the time of the apostles.  The problem is that I don't think that resulted in Christianity becoming the official religion of Edessa.  Even if King Apkar declared it as such, it didn't last as the official religion of that region past his death.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 07:33:50 PM »

He's talking about Armenia being the first nation to make Christianity the official state religion.

Deusveritasest brings up King Apkar, who believed in Christ during the time of the apostles.  The problem is that I don't think that resulted in Christianity becoming the official religion of Edessa.  Even if King Apkar declared it as such, it didn't last as the official religion of that region past his death.

I have read some sources on the internet which claim that he did make Christianity the official religion of Osroene. I don't know whether these sources are reliable or not; I don't even remember exactly what they were. Given that he was himself a Christian, I think that this is entirely possible. If it is the case then Osroene was the first Christian nation.

However, it's also possible that he did not, and if that's the case then Armenia likely was.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 07:44:25 PM »

In any event, it didn't last as the official religion of that nation.  I think his successors turned back to paganism.  What King Drtad did, on the other hand, really established a Christian nation.

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »

Got It..So instead Of Saying Christian Nation the first christians were Jews then the Greeks, and everybody else ,After that....... Grin Ok...And As Long the Greek Orthodox Church is the Mother Church for the ones that came after her ,that's all that matters... Grin
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 08:01:54 PM by stashko » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2010, 07:47:59 PM »

King Apkar's picture, by the way, is on Armenian money.  It's kind of cool:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kev_pic_dram.jpg

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2010, 07:49:12 PM »

In any event, it didn't last as the official religion of that nation.  I think his successors turned back to paganism.  What King Drtad did, on the other hand, really established a Christian nation.

Salpy, it's not as hugely different as you are making it sound. The Kingdom of Armenia collapsed not much more than 100 years after that, remember?

Gisasargavak

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »

Regardless, our nation had Christianity as its state religion; i.e. everyone had to practice it.

On the other hand, King Apkar merely accepted it as his own religion and didn't make it the official state religion.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2010, 08:08:39 PM »

Regardless, our nation had Christianity as its state religion; i.e. everyone had to practice it.

On the other hand, King Apkar merely accepted it as his own religion and didn't make it the official state religion.

How are you so sure of that?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2010, 08:23:36 PM »

How are you so sure of that?

I've never read an hagiography of King Apkar that had him establish Christianity as a state religion.  Can you cite or link to something that said he did?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2010, 08:33:44 PM »

Salpy, it's not as hugely different as you are making it sound. The Kingdom of Armenia collapsed not much more than 100 years after that, remember?

How does that make what King Drtad did anything less than the establishment of a state religion?  All his successors upheld Christianity and even after Armenia came to be occupied, the Armenian nobility who continued to rule the Armenian people on a local level all remained Christian, as did their subjects. 

The Armenian people--nobility and commoners alike--died for their belief in Christ, from the time of St. Vartan, to the time of the Genocide.  After thirteen centuries of Islamic rule there is no such thing as an Islamic Armenian community.  If an Armenian converts to Islam, he's no longer an Armenian.  That is how strongly fused the Armenian identity is with Christianity.  St. Vartan said that since our conversion we had come to wear our religion as our skin, not as our clothes.  Since the time of Drtad, it has been impossible to remove.

How is that not the establishment of a national religion?  I'm trying to understand how what King Apkar did was comparable.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »

On a serious note speaking of Oriental Orthodox mitres. Where did the mitres that Armenian bishops as well as Coptic priests come from? What is the history behind them?

I can't speak as to the Coptic mitres, but I can tell you a little bit about the Armenian ones, at least what my priest has told me: 

Prior to the Crusades, Armenian bishops had crowns like you see on EO bishops today.  Then during the time of the Crusades the Armenian bishops borrowed the Catholic mitres.  They did not want to waste their crowns, however, so they passed them down to the priests.  That is why today the mitres worn by the bishops resemble Catholic ones, and Armenian priests wear crowns that are similar to the ones worn by EO bishops.  This is what my priest told me.   Smiley

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 03:08:00 AM »

Well since you used the word borrowed, Me Think It's Time to Give them back Now ...Why Is Your Church Against it's Older Tradition Of Using the Crown Mitres for your Bishops ...I know that The Armenian Church has a thing for pointed Hats ,Camilavkas their suppose to symbolize Mount Ararat ,Or thats what i watched on the history channel and they mentioned it.... Grin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:30:18 AM by stashko » Logged

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 03:23:50 AM »

Now I see very clearly Why the Greeks in Jeruslam Don't Like the Armenians ,And they Scuffle  now and then ...You insult the Greek orthodox And All the Eastern Orthodox By Down grading The Bishops Crown Mitre That your Bishops  wore ,by Passing them to your Priests, thats wrong ,Im insulted..Ill never want unity with you...Go join rome Your half way there You have the Ponted Mitres you will blend in just Fine there......... Angry
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:54:19 AM by stashko » Logged

Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 03:30:18 AM »

Know I see very clearly Why the Greeks in Jeruslam Don't Like the Armenians ,And they Scuffle  now and then ...You insult the Greek orthodox And All the Eastern Orthodox By Down grading The Bishops Crown Mitre That your Bishop wore ,by Passing them to your Priest, thats wrong ,Im insulted..Ill never want unity with you...Go join rome Your half way there......... Angry

So much hatred and malice toward a large group of people over a hat...  Disgusting.

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 03:34:58 AM »

You insult the Greek orthodox And All the Eastern Orthodox By Down grading The Bishops Crown Mitre That your Bishop wore ,by Passing them to your Priests, thats wrong ,Im insulted.

So were the EP Bishops that were accompanying HAH Demetrios in 1980s during his trip to Poland when they saw about a dozen of mitred Presbyters during the Doxology.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:38:17 AM by mike » Logged
stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 03:44:12 AM »

You insult the Greek orthodox And All the Eastern Orthodox By Down grading The Bishops Crown Mitre That your Bishop wore ,by Passing them to your Priests, thats wrong ,Im insulted.

So were the EP Bishops that were accompanying HAH Demetrios in 1980s during his trip to Poland when they saw about a dozen of mitred Presbyters during the Doxology.

Живила Белорусиjа.........

Thats a slavic Tradition i believe...Theres a big difference Chosing a Latin Papal mitre,and down grading the Bishops  crown Mitre,by passing it to low level clergy...It Down right Insulting....Im insulted... Angry
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 03:48:38 AM by stashko » Logged

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:11 AM »

Andrew, I do hope someone knowledgeable can answer this for you.

Here's some basic info:

http://books.google.com/books?id=vgE4AAAAMAAJ&ots=ZczwjEsOds&dq=ancient%20churches%20of%20egypt&pg=PA97#v=onepage&q&f=false

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »

Thats a slavic Tradition i believe...Theres a big difference Chosing a Latin Papal mitre,and down grading the Bishops  crown Mitre,by passing it to low level clergy...It Down right Insulting....Im insulted... Angry

Are you serious that you're "insulted" by something that happened hundreds of years ago to other people that had nothing to do with you personally?  Huh Deep offense is taken over hats??

What happened to turning the other cheek, even assuming that this really had some "impact" on you in the 21st century?

"An insult is like a drink, it does not affect one unless it is accepted."

I'm boggled.

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:23 AM »

Are you serious that you're "insulted" by something that happened hundreds of years ago to other people that had nothing to do with you personally?  Huh Deep offense is taken over hats??

What happened to turning the other cheek, even assuming that this really had some "impact" on you in the 21st century?

"An insult is like a drink, it does not affect one unless it is accepted."

I'm boggled.
Stashko just doesn't like Catholics. Plain and Simple.

Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 11:05:31 AM »

Why Is Your Church Against it's Older Tradition Of Using the Crown Mitres for your Bishops ...

The oldest tradition is no crowns on any bishops. Some traditions change.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:31 AM »

Who needs Chalcedon, when you can argue over a hat?   Cheesy

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »

Please don't Ever Insult Holy Orthodoxy, By calling yourself Orthodox ,Because Your Not..Your something else but definetly not Orthodox...... Grin

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #42 on: July 08, 2010, 01:13:18 PM »

All I can say, Stashko, is that I know you are not representative of all Serbs, and for that I am grateful.  Armenians and Serbs have historically been friendly with each other, given our similar histories of martyrdom at the hands of the Turks.  In another thread, I recently linked to a wikipedia article that actually discusses the history of Armenians in Serbia, and I think I will paste part of that article here:

Armenians were recorded in Serbia in 1218 when Saint Sava invited constructors to build a Serbian Orthodox monastery after he had been to Armenia and seen the beautiful Armenian architecture. The Armenians were to build Vitovnica Monastery, which has preserved a bilingual sacral text in Serbian and Armenian dating to the building[2].

Armenians were a small part of the Ottoman Turkish army when they invaded Serbia prior to the Battle of Kosovo 1389. However upon hearing that they would attack a Christian people, they fled the Ottomans to the other side to fight alongside the Serbs. After the battle, the surviving Armenians settled in the hills of Sokobanja where they built Jermenčić Monastery[2].

Remains of an Armenian graveyard lies in Kalemegdan fortress, which was last used in the 17th century after the Ottomans destroyed it. Only a few tombs are left in good condition. In 1810 the Turks destroyed the Celije Monastery, the Serbs rebuilt it in 1811 with the help of wealthy Armenians. One of the benefitors had his idea of an Armenian style dome put in work, the monastery today is an outcome of Byzantine/Serbian-Armenian architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenians_in_Serbia

stashko
Protokentarchos

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #43 on: July 08, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »

Your Church Is A Hybrid, a little bit of east and Whole lot of west Huh.... A Confusion....
God save Holy Orthodoxy from this type.... Grin

This is My Last post Here, we nothing in Common , I want to discuss Holy Orthodoxy .... Grin

Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2010, 02:08:53 PM »

I find it very odd that Stashko is taking this view.

In 2002 I participated in an Inter-Orthodox Conference on Christology in Sweden at which the Serbian participants were very warm and friendly. There were many Serbian priests and bishops there, and the whole event was very positive. Not at all exhibiting the attitude which Stashko is displaying.

Father Peter

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: head coverings King Abgar Serbian Orthodox Church Serbia Armenian Church hats=heresy 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: