OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 04:25:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: upcoming excitement in Southern California  (Read 3671 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: June 26, 2010, 01:54:18 PM »

I've recently complained about how all the exciting things seem to be happening either on the East Coast of the US, or in the UK.  Finally, it seems in September there is going to be some things happening in California.

I've known for a while that the new Armenian cathedral in Burbank is going to be consecrated by HH Karekin II on September 11.

Last week, moreover, I was at St. Antony Monastery, where they are building a beautiful church dedicated to St. Moses.  It's not finished yet, but I saw it and it is absolutely gorgeous and huge, and it is hard to imagine such a place existing right in the middle of the Mojave desert.  There isn't even a paved road leading to the monastery.

They said it was going to be dedicated by HH Pope Shenouda in September.  I didn't get the date, though.  Does anyone know the date?

I just think it is great that the two patriarchs will be here in September.  I wonder if there will be any overlap in the dates of their visits, and if they will get to meet.  Does anyone know?  I wonder if they even know about each other's visits.   Smiley  It would be cool if they could get together.

Brigidsboy
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Armenian

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 12:44:10 AM »

Salpy:

I expect Bishop Serapion's office may be able to answer your question:

http://www.lacopts.org/

Or perhaps you could ask the Monastery itself?

"I don't think I've ever eaten anything Armenian I didn't like.  I even drink my non-Armenian coffee out of a St Nersess Seminary coffee mug because it is better that way." --Mor Ephrem
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 12:52:18 AM »

It's not on either of their websites.  My friends and I went to the monastery last week, but I know that quite a few people are going there this weekend because it is St. Moses' feast.  One of my friends keeps good contact with some of the Copts who go there often.  Maybe she'll get news from one of them.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 08:18:48 AM »

I read through this thread and realized that the vast majority of posts were a bit off topic, so I split them into two different subjects and sent them elsewhere.

The subject about Armenian food and toneer/tandoor ovens was merged with a previous thread about Armenian food:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13011.msg448778.html#msg448778

The tangent which confused St. Antony Coptic Monastery in California with an EO monastery in Arizona was put into the private forum:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28454.new.html#top

Let's try to keep this exclusively about the visits in September.   Smiley
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:26:15 AM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:24:47 AM »

It's not on either of their websites.  My friends and I went to the monastery last week, but I know that quite a few people are going there this weekend because it is St. Moses' feast.  One of my friends keeps good contact with some of the Copts who go there often.  Maybe she'll get news from one of them.

I just realized that I split off a post in which I also pointed out that HH Karekin's visit is not on the website of the Western Diocese yet.  It's all word of mouth right now.  As information comes in, I'll post it here.  Please, if anyone else has info, post it here also.   Smiley

Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 05:17:07 PM »

This sounds interesting.  Are there any converts to the Armenian Church amongst your congregation or neighbouring ones?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 05:20:01 PM »

I would say there are less converts to the Armenian Church than to the Coptic Church.  We don't have English liturgies, so that makes it a little hard.  I've known a couple of converts.  This was discussed a little here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,28250.0.html

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:34 AM »

I was just at the Diocese and I asked someone who would know which days HH Karekin would be here.  He said it would be the 10, 11, and 12 of September only.

A disappointingly short visit.   Cry

Here is a short video someone just took of the Armenian Cathedral in Burbank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flinklife%23p%2Fu%2F3%2FOXIRTkaaQks&v=OXIRTkaaQks

I know they have started doing weddings there, even though the cathedral is not completed.  That's probably why the limos are there.  You can see a little bit of the hotel next to where the cathedral is.  I'm not sure if that is where His Holiness will be staying, but it will probably be a convenient place for others to stay when they come into town for the consecration.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2010, 01:01:08 AM »

Isn't that the same town that the Syriac Orthodox cathedral is in?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 01:03:13 AM »

Yes.  There will be two OO Cathedrals in Burbank now.   Smiley

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »

Isn't that where Jay Leno should repent of his sin?
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2010, 01:54:48 AM »

Jay Leno does his show there.  Which sin are you talking about?  Did he tell a joke that wasn't funny?   Cheesy

alexp4uni
Site Supporter
Elder

Faith: kinda practicing theist
Jurisdiction: ecumenical kind

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 02:10:20 AM »

Jay Leno does his show there.  Which sin are you talking about?  Did he tell a joke that wasn't funny?   Cheesy

Kinda. Maybe. Bring back the big head with red clown face!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:10:30 AM by alexp4uni » Logged
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 06:46:53 PM »

Yes.  There will be two OO Cathedrals in Burbank now.   Smiley

And is there not also a Coptic diocese headquartered in the LA area?

Are there a lot of OO there?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2010, 07:19:28 PM »

There is a Coptic diocese in Los Angeles (linked to above by Brigidsboy,) but I don't think they have a cathedral.  I could be wrong about that though.  The headquarters are in Pomona, and seem to be situated at St. Maurice Coptic Orthodox Church:

http://www.lacopts.org/parishes/st-maurice-coptic-orthodox-church

There are a lot of OO's in the Los Angeles area.  That is especially true in the cities of Glendale and Burbank, due to the large Armenian population there.  I don't think there are any Coptic parishes in Glendale or Burbank, but there are many elsewhere in the L.A. area.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:22:11 PM by Salpy » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »

I was just at the Diocese and I asked someone who would know which days HH Karekin would be here.  He said it would be the 10, 11, and 12 of September only.

A disappointingly short visit.   Cry

Here is a short video someone just took of the Armenian Cathedral in Burbank:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Flinklife%23p%2Fu%2F3%2FOXIRTkaaQks&v=OXIRTkaaQks

I know they have started doing weddings there, even though the cathedral is not completed.  That's probably why the limos are there.  You can see a little bit of the hotel next to where the cathedral is.  I'm not sure if that is where His Holiness will be staying, but it will probably be a convenient place for others to stay when they come into town for the consecration.

Beautiful Cathedral! I love the Armenian architecture...as well as the music, food, culture, history...

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »

There is a Coptic diocese in Los Angeles (linked to above by Brigidsboy,) but I don't think they have a cathedral.  I could be wrong about that though.  The headquarters are in Pomona, and seem to be situated at St. Maurice Coptic Orthodox Church:

http://www.lacopts.org/parishes/st-maurice-coptic-orthodox-church

There are a lot of OO's in the Los Angeles area.  That is especially true in the cities of Glendale and Burbank, due to the large Armenian population there.  I don't think there are any Coptic parishes in Glendale or Burbank, but there are many elsewhere in the L.A. area.  

Yes, I haven't been able to find a Cathedral for the Copts as for the Syriac and Armenians, however there are none the less at least 3 OO dioceses headquartered in the LA Metropolitan area.

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 02:47:04 AM »

I would say there are less converts to the Armenian Church than to the Coptic Church.  We don't have English liturgies, so that makes it a little hard.  I've known a couple of converts.  This was discussed a little here:

Is this because the Armenian Church forbids their liturgy to be translated into English, or just because there are not enough English speakers to warrent such a service?

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 04:53:44 PM »

Our Catholicos forbids liturgies in anything but Classical Armenian.  Also, at my own parish there are a lot of immigrants who wouldn't get an English liturgy anyway.  The issue of liturgical languages is currently being discussed here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27572.msg449913/topicseen.html#top

Let's keep this thread on topic.   Smiley

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 06:34:32 PM »

Is this because the Armenian Church forbids their liturgy to be translated into English, or just because there are not enough English speakers to warrent such a service?

Robb,

The Armenian Apostolic Church does not forbid translation of the Liturgy. As a matter of fact, in the US, it is not at all uncommon to have service books which include Classical Armenian, translation into Modern Armenian, and translation into English in the pews. What is forbidden only is conducting the Liturgy in these languages, not translating the text into them.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 06:35:40 PM »

Salpy,

Are you planning on attending the consecration on the 11th?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2010, 06:50:13 PM »

If I can make it into the church.   Smiley  It will probably be very crowded.  I'd like to attend at least one event while he is here.  It is just too bad his visit will be so short.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2010, 06:55:49 PM »

I hope that there will be pictures.

Robb
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:03 AM »

Our Catholicos forbids liturgies in anything but Classical Armenian.  Also, at my own parish there are a lot of immigrants who wouldn't get an English liturgy anyway.  The issue of liturgical languages is currently being discussed here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,27572.msg449913/topicseen.html#top

Let's keep this thread on topic.   Smiley

Alright.  Finally a Church which see's eye to eye with me on this issue.

-- Gustave Flaubert
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 03:32:25 PM »

Pictures of the new cathedral have been posted on the internet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29444643@N03/

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 03:46:56 PM »

Here are pictures of some of the mosaics that are in the cathedral:

The Annunciation:

The Apostle Thaddeus:

The Apostle Bartholomew:

St. Hripsime:

St. Gayane:

I've seen them up close and they are really beautifully done.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 07:41:09 PM »

Wow. Really neat pictures. Thanks Salpy.

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:12 PM »

Pictures of the new cathedral have been posted on the internet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29444643@N03/

Beautiful!

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 11:19:23 PM »

Now for some pictures of the church being built at St. Antony Coptic Orthodox Monastery:

I can't find any current pictures of the church showing how it looks right now.  The St. Antony website has some earlier pictures of the construction, though.

http://www.stantonymonastery.org/index.php?option=com_phocagallery&view=categories&Itemid=7

Here are a couple:

This gives you an idea of how far out in the middle of the desert it is:

This is the icon behind the altar:

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 07:33:39 PM »

This is the icon behind the altar:

Wow. That's awesome.

Are the men around His feet supposed to be the 24 presbyters?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2010, 08:22:15 PM »

I think so, and then there are seven archangels.  I think it may be St. John's vision from the Book of Revelation.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 10:56:36 PM »

Here's a formal announcement about the consecration of the Cathedral:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/consecration-of-the-cathedral-together-we-built-and-together-we-will-celebrate/

We are extremely pleased to inform you that because of the invaluable support of the Benefactors, Godfathers and the faithful, the construction of the Cathedral of the Western Diocese of the Armenian Church of North America is now completed.

Saturday, September 11, 2010 will become one of the most memorable days in the history of the Western Diocese as His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians will consecrate the Cathedral. The ceremony will be held at 3:00 p.m.

At 10:30 a.m. on the following day, (the Feast Day of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross) His Holiness will celebrate the Pontifical Divine Liturgy and deliver his spiritual message inside the Cathedral.

At 5:30 p.m., a Formal Banquet will be held at the Universal Hilton Hotel in honor of His Holiness and the consecration of the Cathedral.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 08:13:50 PM »

They are going to have some events at the Armenian Cathedral over the Assumption Day weekend:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/cathedral-blessing-and-dedication-ceremony/

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 08:18:26 PM »

I am considering making the trip down to LA for the Sept. 11 consecration...

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2010, 01:55:40 PM »

The consecration of the cathedral can be watched live on the internet:

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp?sid=3&nid=1628&y=2010&m=8&d=6

Ionnis
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 12:21:45 AM »

Wow!  I just saw this thread. 

I am a PROUD dweller of the Mojave Desert and have been longing to go to the monastery to check it out.  The monastery is not too far from me. The thing is I need my spiritual father's blessing to go which is another matter...

And just a few weeks ago I saw the cathedral in Burbank.  I didn't know what kind of church it was, but was guessing it was Oriental or Eastern Orthodox.  Glad to know who it belongs to!  I think my mother will be satisfied as well, as she just asked me about it a week or two ago. 

Salpy, do you know if the Pope is still planning on consecrating the monastery in September?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 12:26:48 AM by Ionnis » Logged

"If you cannot find Christ in the beggar at the church door, you will not find Him in the chalice.”  -The Divine John Chrysostom

“Till we can become divine, we must be content to be human, lest in our hurry for change we sink to something lower.” -Anthony Trollope
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 12:33:05 AM »

Salpy, do you know if the Pope is still planning on consecrating the monastery in September?

I haven't heard anything more about it.   Sad  I hope all is alright with HH Pope Shenouda and that he is on schedule to come soon.  I haven't heard anything about it though.

Do any of our Coptic Orthodox posters know anything about this?  Has there been any recent news? 

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2010, 04:31:29 PM »

The consecration of the cathedral can be watched live on the internet:

http://www.armenianchurch.org/index.jsp?sid=3&nid=1628&y=2010&m=8&d=6

It's going to start in an hour and a half, so I am bumping this in case someone wants to watch it.  I was there earlier and saw the Catholicos arrive at the cathedral.  I'm about to go back now.  I may not make it into the church, but they have a very large TV screen in the parking lot for those who don't make it in.  I'm sure there will be big crowds. 

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2010, 10:24:09 PM »

I drove by this church the other day!  It's really lovely!  Hope all who go there will have "many years" to enjoy it. Smiley

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2010, 06:40:52 PM »

I went yesterday.  I didn't get in, but it was actually still a very nice experience watching it outside the church with my friends.   Smiley  

You can see the consecration, as well as the liturgy which His Holiness celebrated today, here:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/pontifical-visit-2010
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 02:19:41 AM by Salpy » Logged

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2010, 08:22:45 PM »

No updates on Saint Anthony's?

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 02:10:08 AM »

I haven't heard anything specific.  I have a few friends who are going there in a couple of weeks.  They will probably find out then what is going on.  I do hope Pope Shenouda is OK.

deusveritasest
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2010, 03:10:39 AM »

At least the consecration at Saint Leon Cathedral went well.  Smiley

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2010, 10:35:34 AM »

I know that my Metropolitan made it a point to be there at the consecration this weekend.  I think that's an awesome act of friendship and understanding between our two churches.  I'm so glad you guys have a new cathedral! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Father Peter
Archon

Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2010, 01:22:32 PM »

When the Syrian Orthodox cathedral was consecrated in London some weeks ago it was good to see Archbishop Gregorios of the Greek Orthodox Church with some of his clergy, and the Antiochian Metropolitan. Both gave very warm messages during the consecration.

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags: Armenian Church Coptic Orthodox Church Monastery consecration 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: