OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 03:41:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Abba Seraphim of the British (Oriental) Orthodox Church on the EO Western Rite  (Read 2464 times) Average Rating: 0
Orthodox11
Archon

« on: May 07, 2010, 05:21:33 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgKT8nbkyw0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 06:49:11 AM »

The title caught my attention, as I have read several small booklets by Abba Seraphim, which I bought off of lulu.com. I found most of what he said interesting, though--speaking for myself--I do not consider western rite parishes second class, and I do not look upon them "with reservations". I understand his point, I just respectfully disagree.

Large Marge sent me...
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 09:26:41 AM »

The title caught my attention, as I have read several small booklets by Abba Seraphim, which I bought off of lulu.com. I found most of what he said interesting, though--speaking for myself--I do not consider western rite parishes second class, and I do not look upon them "with reservations". I understand his point, I just respectfully disagree.
Yes, I think this is the first Eastern criticism of the WRO I've seen that I can respect.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 09:49:36 AM »

Yes, I think this is the first Eastern criticism of the WRO I've seen that I can respect.

I can't really see how his criticisms differ from those normally levelled against the WRO
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 10:03:09 AM by Orthodox11 » Logged
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 01:05:33 PM »

Thanks for posting this.  I too have reservations of the Western Rite though i don't believe that it should it be just discarded.  I think this was one of the more objective responses to the existence and practice of the Western Rite.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 10:47:40 PM »

I think Abba Seraphim's criticism was more so of how the Byzantine riters treat the Western riters, rather than of the WR itself.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:24 PM »

I can't really see how his criticisms differ from those normally levelled against the WRO

For one thing, none of the Orthodox kettle calling the pot of Rome black, because it inssiting on imposing its own right on every other patriarchate. Note how he begins that his Patriarchate uses Alexadnrian DL usually, but his jurisdiction uses another (Jerusalem).

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Faith: None
Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 11:11:02 PM »

For one thing, none of the Orthodox kettle calling the pot of Rome black, because it inssiting on imposing its own right on every other patriarchate. Note how he begins that his Patriarchate uses Alexadnrian DL usually, but his jurisdiction uses another (Jerusalem).

Wasn't the DL of James the main rite of Antioch as well?

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
ialmisry
Moderated
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:34:34 AM »

Wasn't the DL of James the main rite of Antioch as well?
For the Syriac Orthodox, still is.

scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Moderated
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:30:31 PM »

I think Abba Seraphim's criticism was more so of how the Byzantine riters treat the Western riters, rather than of the WR itself.

Yes, there was that too and that's why I believe this criticism was one of the best objective treatments of this subject.  But, he still made it very clear that those who use the WR still have not embraced the fullness of the Orthodox faith and that the WR itself is foreign to the spirituality of Orthodoxy.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags: Western Rite British Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: