OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 11:07:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Serbian Orthodox Church head Pavle dies at 95  (Read 2869 times) Average Rating: 0
Apostolos
Protopentekaidekarchos
Elder

Faith: Christian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Greece

« on: November 15, 2009, 08:42:58 AM »

By DUSAN STOJANOVIC

The Associated Press

BELGRADE, Serbia — Patriarch Pavle, who led Serbia's Christian Orthodox Church through its post-Communist revival and the turbulent 1990s marked by ethnic conflicts in the Balkans, died Sunday. He was 95.

Pavle, who took over the church in 1990, has been hospitalized for months. He had heart and lung problems. The church said he died of cardiac arrest.
Bells tolled from Serbian churches after the news of Pavle's death and the state-run television aired documentaries about his life.

A respected theologian and linguist also known for personal humility and modesty, Pavle took over the dominant Serbian church just as the collapse of communism ended years of state policy of repressing religion. He also headed the church during the turbulent years of the Balkan wars in the 1990s and the collapse of former President Slobodan Milosevic's regime in 2000.

President Boris Tadic said Patriarch Pavle's death is a "huge loss" for the nation. Tadic said Pavle was "one of those people who by their very existence bring together the entire nation.

"His departure is my personal loss too," Tadic said, explaining he had often consulted with the patriarch about crucial national decisions.

Tadic added that Patriarch Pavle was respected worldwide by both the Orthodox Christian churches and the pope.

He was a very respected and Saintly figure for the people of Greece. My sincere condolances to our Serbian brothers. May his Memory be Eternal!

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8361205.stm
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 08:45:07 AM by Apostolos » Logged

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qG5JWZlpfBA
St. John Papadopoulos "The Koukouzelis"
Riddikulus
Protokentarchos

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:43:46 AM »

Memory eternal.

I believe in One God, maker of heaven and earth and of all things visible and invisible.

Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution.
Theodosius Dobzhansky, Russian Orthodox Christian (1900-1975)
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:51:25 AM »

My thoughts will be with him today. As the Orthodox prayer goes, "O Lord Jesus Christ, inscribe Thy servant in the Book of Life."

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2009, 09:17:10 AM »

+Memory Eternal.  O Lord, give rest with Thy saints.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2009, 10:39:43 AM »

A great man. God rest him!
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »

My godfather was privileged enough to get to visit him in the hospital this August on a trip to Serbia.  This is a huge loss of the world, as everyone I know spoke of him as if he were a living saint.
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2009, 03:25:09 PM »

May his blessed memory be eternal! A major loss for the Church; he was truly a holy man.
stashko
Protokentarchos

Faith: ИСТОЧНИ ПРАВОСЛАВНИ СРБИН
Jurisdiction: Non Ecumenist Free Serbian Orthodox Church

Wonderworking Sitka Icon

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 04:16:33 PM »

Вечнаја Памјат.....Амин

ГОСПОДЕ ГОСПОДЕ ,ПОГЛЕДАЈ СА НЕБА ,ДОЂИ И ПОСЕТИ ТВОЈ ВИНОГРАД ТВОЈА ДЕСНИЦА ПОСАДИЛА АМИН АМИН.
Super Apostolic Bros.
Is St. Andrew Luigi to St. Peter's Mario?

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2009, 05:53:54 PM »

Memory eternal!
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2009, 06:04:40 PM »

Having known the patriarch personally this is a huge loss for my family and I.  I am however glad that he is now in the bosom of Christ.  May his memory be eternal! 

вјечнаја памјат ваше светости! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Vlad
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox, Greek Orthodox Church of America

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 06:32:53 PM »

Memory eternal.
witega
Is it enough now, to tell you you matter?
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Diocese of the South

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »

Memory Eternal

A sad day on earth, but a joyous one in heaven as they welcome his Holiness home.

Ariel Starling - New album

For it were better to suffer everything, rather than divide the Church of God. Even martyrdom for the sake of preventing division would not be less glorious than for refusing to worship idols. - St. Dionysius the Great
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2009, 07:01:07 PM »

Statement Of His All Holiness Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew On the Repose of Patriarch Pavle of Serbia (15/11/2009)

It is with profound regret that we learned today of the repose in the Lord of our brother Patriarch Pavle of Serbia. After holding a memorial service at the conclusion of this evening’s Vespers on the occasion of the feast of St. Matthew the Apostle and Evangelist, we entreated the Lord with all our heart and soul to grant rest to his blessed soul in the land of the living. Therefore, we convey our sincere condolences to the venerable Hierarchy, the pious clergy and faithful people of our sister Church in Serbia, where everyone is mourning the loss of their beloved Primate. Only Patriarch Pavle is today rejoicing for his heavenly journey.

We repeat the timely words of the Serb poet M. Betskovic about the late Patriarch: “None in this noisy era spoke so softly and yet was heard so widely as he. None spoke less and yet said more. None in our delusional age confronted truth with such calmness as he.”

May his memory be eternal!

May the Lord and Founder of the Church reveal a worthy successor to lead the most holy Church of Serbia and father to the glorious Serb People in order to continue his exemplary ministry and preserve the traditions and ideals of his people.

At the Phanar, November 15, 2009
http://vatopaidi.wordpress.com/2009/11/15/statement-of-his-all-holiness-ecumenical-patriarch-bartholomew-on-the-repose-of-patriarch-pavle-of-serbia-15112009/
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 07:01:23 PM by ozgeorge » Logged

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2009, 07:20:45 PM »

Memory eternal!

Knytshade
Newly Illumined 1-1-11

Jurisdiction: ROCOR - Midwest Diocese

Beloved Michael: my patron--I thank God for you!

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 07:30:57 PM »

Our priest mentioned him at the end of Liturgy today and told us a little about him.  Memory eternal!

"If you leave me free in my religion, I will be very eager to carry out your commands. But if you try to force me to change my faith, I will first surrender my head. I was born a Christian and a Christian I shall die."

--St. John the Russian to his Turkish master
Sakeneko

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 08:41:40 PM »

Вечная память!

Patriarch Pavle was a good man.  May our Lord welcome him.

_Seraphim_
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Serbian Diocese of Western America (under His Grace Bishop Maxim)

May Orthodoxy become our orthopraxis

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 09:38:41 PM »

Memory eternal!

"Disputes merely about words must not be suffered to divide those who think alike."
-St. Athanasius (†444)

Pray for Orthodox Unity

"Behold the light of our Agreed Statement on Christology"
http://www.orthodoxunity.org/state04.html
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 10:21:26 PM »

Gospodi Pomiluj. Memory Eternal. +++

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 10:56:30 PM »

"Eternal Memory."

At a time of turbulence for the Serbian people, the Patriarch provide his faithfull with a loving and humble, "Icon of Christ," who defended our great Faith.  His was a patriarchy to attempt to mimic.

Mat God continue to Bless the Church of Serbia.

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 03:05:48 AM »

May God grant him pardon and rest!
Vesnica pomenire!
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2009, 08:08:23 PM »

So sad.  He was truly a saint for our times.

Memory Eternal to him.  May he pray from Heaven for us poor sinners here on Earth.

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:09:04 PM by Robb » Logged

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »

I found this tribute to Patriarch Pavle on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pHDAThHfw&feature=channel

About four minutes into the video you see him walking on the street among the people without an entourage.  This goes with what I heard about him and his humble ways.  I mentioned it in another thread about him:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,13433.msg201480.html#msg201480

A remarkable and holy man.

sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »

May His memory be eternal! Pray for us in heaven!

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2009, 11:53:22 PM »

Will he be canonized soon?

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2009, 11:54:18 PM »

Will he be canonized soon?
I expect so. Within the next few decades, at least.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2009, 10:45:28 PM »

H.H. Karekin II has sent his condolences:

http://www.etchmiadzin.com

His Holiness Karekin II, Supreme Patriarch and Catholicos of All Armenians sent a letter of condolence on the occasion of the death of His Beatitude Pavle, Patriarch of the Serbian Orthodox Church, to the Chairman of the Holy Synod of the Serbian Orthodox Church, Archbishop Amfilohije Metropolitan of Montenegro and Locum Tenens of the Patriarchal Throne of the Serbian Orthodox Church.

The message stated: "With heartfelt sorrow we learned at the Mother See of Holy Etchmiadzin that on November 15, 2009 our beloved brother His Beatitude Patriarch Pavle, head of the Serbian Orthodox Church, fell asleep in the Lord.

On the occasion of the death of the Patriarch of blessed memory, we offer our condolences to the clergy and all the faithful of the Serbian Orthodox Church and to the government of the Serbian Republic.

Patriarch Pavle of blessed memory lived and worked during a critical period in the history of the Serbian Church and people. Despite the persecutions and temptation of atheistic regimes, in his capacity as pastor, bishop and later as the venerable Patriarch he remained unshaken and courageous in the service to his flock. He led the Serbian Orthodox Church as a good shepherd and a beloved leader.

The valiant example of the Patriarch and great legacy of His deeds for the establishment of peace in the Balkans, his efforts in the area of religious dialogue and labor in defense of the national rights of the Serbian people, will be a source of inspiration for generations to come and they shall be spoken of well beyond his death.

We pray that our heavenly Lord Jesus Christ grant eternal rest to Patriarch Pavle in His blessed mansions and for the consolation of the Holy Spirit for the Serbian Orthodox Church, all the faithful and the Serbian government."

On behalf of the Catholicosate of All Armenians His Eminence Archbishop Mesrob Krikorian, Pontifical Legate of Central Europe will represent the Armenian Church at the burial service.

ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2009, 10:06:13 AM »

Hundreds of thousands of people from Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Croatia waited outside the Belgrade Church of Gathering last Thursday to pay their last respects to Serbian Orthodox Church Patriarch Pavle.

Pavle, 96, died on November 15. He was laid in state over the next four days where the faithful and followers honoured him.

His funeral was preceded by a liturgy in the Church of Gathering and a service in the Temple of Saint Sava. A crowd of more than 600,000 gathered for the service, which was led by Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew.

"People of Serbia, begin weeping, sobbing bitterly and expressing your sorrow according to his merit," Bartholomew said. He stressed that Pavle was a theologian of broad knowledge, a merciful, peaceful man of open views.

Serbian President Boris Tadic, who attended the funeral, recalled the patriarch's words: "Let us be humane and never respond to the evil of others with evil within ourselves."

"I believe I share the opinion of Serbian citizens when I express my gratitude to his holiness Patriarch Pavle for having always existed and still existing before all of us, with his deeds and words to always be humane," Tadic said.

After the 40-day period of mourning, the Serbian Orthodox Church will elect a new patriarch. The new church head will be chosen from three candidates -- bishops with the most votes from Synod members. Envelopes containing the candidates' names will be placed into the Gospel Book and the new patriarch will be chosen by "the Holy Spirit", as a selected priest removes the envelope with the name of the new patriarch.

When he became the patriarch 19 years ago, the former bishop of Raska and Prizren was a surprise. Pavle arrived at the helm of the church in 1990, at a time when its power was diminished after the long period of communist rule and when the wars in the former Yugoslavia were just beginning.

"I am said to be leading the Serbs into a war for the preservation of Great Serbia. However, if the preservation of Great Serbia requires crime -- I refuse it, may Great Serbia be gone. If the preservation of little Serbia requires crime -- again, I refuse it, may little Serbia be gone. If the preservation of even a single Serb requires crime -- again, I refuse it, may all of us be gone," he said.

http://www.setimes.com/cocoon/setimes/xhtml/en_GB/features/setimes/features/2009/11/20/feature-01

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2009, 11:11:56 AM »

Вечнаја Памјат.....Амин

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

New Patriarch will be elected on January 22nd.

source

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »

Thoughts on this humble and holy Patriarch...

Article in Russian
http://www.radonezh.ru/analytic/articles/?ID=2995

English translation
http://ishmaelite.blogspot.com/2009/04/patriarch-pavles-slava.html

Holy Patriarch Pavle of Serbia pray for us
Tags: saints Patriarch Pavle 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: