OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 12:26:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moral Lying  (Read 988 times) Average Rating: 0
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« on: October 28, 2009, 01:45:57 AM »

This passage comes from the Benedicta Ward translation of The Sayings of the Desert Fathers:

Quote from: Chapter of Visions; Saying 1
A brother went out to the cell of Arsenius in Scetis, and looked in through the window, and saw him like fire from head to foot.  (He was a brother worthy to see such sights.)  When he knocked, Arsenius came out, and saw the brother standing there amazed, and said to him, 'Have you been knocking long?  Did you see anything?'  He answered, 'No.'  After talking with him, Arsenius sent him on his way.

As an aside to our resident doubting-Thomas Asteriktos, I just wanted to point to this as another example of 'moral lying' within Christianity, one of his noted contradictions in the Christian faith.   Tongue
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 02:07:02 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 01:56:08 AM »

As an aside to our resident doubting-Thomas Asteriktos, I just wanted to point to this as another example of 'moral lying' on Christianity, one of his noted contradictions in the Christian faith

I found out a few years ago that some people really dislike that concept! My Roman Catholic uncle came to visit shortly after my first daughter Athanasia was born. Since he is a pious Roman Catholic, I thought he would appreciate hearing the story of St. Athanasia, someone I assumed his Church would also consider a saint. Well, I got to the point in the story where Athanasia dresses up like a man to trick some monks, and he just about exploded. "Why did she lie?" he demanded in an obviously perturbed tone. His wife diffused the situation before it went any further.

I wouldn't say that righteous lying is so much a contradiction as an evidence that morality calls for contextual judgment, and morality is not as cut and dry as some Christians would like to believe.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 01:57:45 AM by Asteriktos » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 02:08:43 AM »

I wouldn't say that righteous lying is so much a contradiction as an evidence that morality calls for contextual judgment, and morality is not as cut and dry as some Christians would like to believe.

I absolutely agree.  I just got into an argument with my wife a week or two ago about moral lying, and how lying is necessary and acceptable in many situations.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 02:26:01 AM »

This topic was split off from the following thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,24005.0.html

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 02:29:30 AM »

What does this thread have to do with Oriental Orthodoxy?  Shouldn't it be moved to Faith Issues?

Also, can you please leave the first portion of the post in the initial thread, as it was pertinent to the topic of supernatural manifestations being discussed?  Thanks!  Smiley
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:33:52 AM »

What does this thread have to do with Oriental Orthodoxy?  Shouldn't it be moved to Faith Issues?

Also, can you please leave the first portion of the post in the initial thread, as it was pertinent to the topic of supernatural manifestations being discussed?  Thanks!  Smiley

You were the one who posted it in the OO section.  You tell me what it has to do with Oriental Orthodoxy.   Smiley  Are you implying that OO's don't lie?  That would sound like my mom:  "Armenians don't lie."   Grin

If you want, I'll move it, but I would have to move the whole thing, including the initial post, as it started the whole exchange.  If you want, you can repost the passage from Benedicta Ward's book in the Bilocation thread, without the aside about moral lying.

Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 02:43:11 AM »

Done and done.
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 02:45:08 AM »

I see you reposted the passage from Benadicata Ward's book.  Thank you, darling.   Smiley

I'll move the thread to Faith Issues.

Tags: lying 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: