OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 12:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This could be trouble...  (Read 4673 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: April 27, 2009, 09:08:31 PM »

Swine flu is spreading.

From the CDC.

Confirmed in Scotland.

Mexico and the USA.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2009, 09:13:09 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Tzimis
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 10:23:18 PM »

Lets hope and pray that it is contained quickly. I believe that mostly the poor will end up suffering fatalities. As is evident in Mexico. Sanitary conditions here in the US are quite well and most US cases are recovering quickly. Lets hope it doesn't spread to places like Africa, China and India.

Excellence of character, then, is a state concerned with choice, lying in a mean relative to us, this being determined by reason and in the way in which the man of practical wisdom would determine it. Now it is a mean between two vices, that which depends on excess and that which depends on defect.
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 06:51:17 AM »

The World Health Organisation has raised the alert about Swine Flu to Level 4. A pandemic is Level 6.
If the alert is raised to Level 5, the Australian Government may issue travel advisories to restrict travel to the Americas because Australia is entering its Winter (flu season). This would be a real bummer since I already have tickets to the US booked for 2 months time.

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
SDMPNS
High Elder

Jurisdiction: raised in Metropolia which became the OCA now I belong to a GOA parish..

Praise God for the beauty of Creation

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:30 AM »

We will be fine in the USA and other developed countries. As usual the poor will suffer. If you want to be frightened read "The Stand" by Stephen King.
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 07:44:50 AM »

Maybe this is like the chicken flu Smiley and the pig infection there was supossed to be in Romania , an many of us ate pig meat supposingly to be infected and didn`t suffer anything . I think this is to make people distracted , and to move their attention from "something else that may occure" . Let`s be serious ...

This user no longer posts here.
Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »

Maybe this is like the chicken flu Smiley and the pig infection there was supossed to be in Romania , an many of us ate pig meat supposingly to be infected and didn`t suffer anything . I think this is to make people distracted , and to move their attention from "something else that may occure" . Let`s be serious ...

Eating meat is perhaps not dangerous, because the influenza virus infects only epithelial cells of the respiratory tract (while what we call "meat" is mostly skeletal muscle fibers). It is, however, very dangerous to stand near an infected animal, because it breathes, and the live virus is abundant in the aerosoles spread by the infected animal's breath.

The worst thing is, of course, that this new recombinant virus seems to spread from one human to another. That was not the case during the epidemic of the "bird flu." The latter was also an extremely dangerous recombined influenza virus A, but it spread only from one bird to another or from a bid to a human (and that was it).

What people need is, of course, a lot more of the antiviral preparations like Tamiflu (oseltamivir), and a lot more knowledge about viruses, nucleic acids, genetic recombination etc. And of course there should not be poverty...

Love never fails.
Dan-Romania
Moderated
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 08:09:22 AM »

Do you know concrete cases of people infested with the bird flu ? And how did this virus dissapear ? Or cases of person infected of the swine flu other than media ? I saw after i post here that finding faith has written something about a mom of a friend of his being infested by it . I`m curious to see if that is the case . Or this kind of "viruses" might have been "created" on-purpose . I feel it is something to attract attention , like the bird flu . In Romania we had a panic mediatic message like this about some swine meat being infected with i don`t know wich virus , and no one was reported of suffering from the virus , and that meat that supposedly had to be infected was consumed . There are some mediatic news ment to cause panic , i think this might be one of those .

This user no longer posts here.
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2009, 09:16:11 AM »

What people need is, of course, a lot more of the antiviral preparations like Tamiflu (oseltamivir), and a lot more knowledge about viruses, nucleic acids, genetic recombination etc. And of course there should not be poverty...
Even more effective will be a vaccine. Most of the time, Australia is lucky in that our winter follows the northern winter, so in Autumn, we are able to be annually vaccinated against most strains of the year's flu (I received my vaccination 3 weeks ago). By way of interest, the virus used to develop the year's vaccine actually comes from off-shore oil rigs. However, because the swine flu outbreak took place after the northern winter, it was not included in our vaccine. If there is an epidemic, it will strike the Southern Hemisphere first since our winter is approaching. Since it takes at least 3 months for a flu vaccine to be developed, it will probably be developed too late for Australia. However, the Northern hemisphere will reap the benefits.

I feel it is something to attract attention , like the bird flu
To attract attention to what or to whom?
Influenza pandemics have occurred before. In 1918, 20% of the world's population contracted "Spanish Flu", and killed 25 million people in the first six months- more people than died in the World War I or even the Black Death. Current estimates are that up to 50 million died by the end of it. While it is true that antiviral medications will prevent deaths in western countries which have stockpiles of them, poorer countries do not have such stockpiles.

Heorhij
Merarches

Jurisdiction: GOA, for now, but my heart belongs to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 10:10:27 AM »

Or this kind of "viruses" might have been "created" on-purpose .

No, there is no "purpose" in the recombination between strands of RNA. The influenza virus A belongs to the kind of viruses where the RNA genome is "fragmented," exists in pieces. When these viruses infect animal cells, they can exchange these pieces of RNA. So, for example, in virus number one you have pieces A, B, C, and D, and in the virus number two - pieces W, X, Y, and Z. After the exchange, a new ("recombinant") virus might appear, with particles A, B, C, and X. Because the RNA contains the information for the viral proteins, this new virus may have absolutely new protein molecules, unknown before - the molecules coded by the combination of A and X, or B and X, or C and X. This may give the new recombinant virus some new properties, unknown before.

I feel it is something to attract attention , like the bird flu . In Romania we had a panic mediatic message like this about some swine meat being infected with i don`t know wich virus , and no one was reported of suffering from the virus , and that meat that supposedly had to be infected was consumed . There are some mediatic news ment to cause panic , i think this might be one of those .

Well, as OzGeorge wrote, epidemics and pandemics caused by influenza viruses are real. Of course, journalists like to present news in such a form that it attracts a lot of viewers (and people like to be thrilled, scared, etc.), but that does not make these events untrue.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:11:29 AM by Heorhij » Logged

Love never fails.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 04:26:10 PM »

They create a lot of "interesting" stuff at Ft. Detrick in Frederick, MD.  The Anthrax suspects of 2001 were based out of this facility.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »

The CDC has also published an FAQ for Swine Flu.  There are some good tips on how not to spread viruses of any kind there.  (Hint: Wash your hands frequently!)

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 05:14:04 PM »

A few reported and confirmed cases in NZ (WHO); but most cases in N. America so far.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 05:14:13 PM by cleveland » Logged

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 09:43:21 PM »

I'm sure all ten of the victims are receiving good treatment. The rest of us who don't have so much as a sniffle can get back to life as usual.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »

The WHO has now confirmed only seven deaths related to Swine Flu:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/29/2555794.htm

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 02:57:04 AM »

Which begs the question, has the virus actually mutated to the point where it can even be transferred between humans or is it simply a swine epidemic that has, in rare instances, mutated to infect a small number of humans who have been near them? That's what we had with the bird flu, only a few instances from a few very unlucky people (probably amongst millions) who happened to have the virus enter their system and randomly mutate in a way that could actually infect them.

Inter-species transmission of viruses is hardly a normal or simple thing...you tend to have to be very unlucky.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:57 AM »

Just for some perspective, every year on average, 36,000 people die from the flu in the US.

But we do flu hysteria about three times every two years. When it happened in 1976, not only did the flu turn out to be nothing, but the vaccine killed people.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian

« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 09:10:49 AM »

Just for some perspective, every year on average, 36,000 people die from the flu in the US.

But we do flu hysteria about three times every two years. When it happened in 1976, not only did the flu turn out to be nothing, but the vaccine killed people.
So that's how they made Soylent Green. Grin

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Heorhij
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 10:04:35 AM »

It did? Really?

When it comes to vaccines and influenza, I am rather sceptical because I realize how difficult it is to create the immune memory that would be efficient against a new viral strain (serotype, isolate).

On the other hand, when I hear rumors that "the vaccine gives you flu," or that some vaccines killed people, I am very cautious. That an influenza vaccine can "give you flu," is simply physically impossible, because this vaccine is a "subunit vaccine" (i.e. not a live virus and not even whole inactivated viral particles)...

Ah, evil government and evil scientists plotting... Sad

Love never fails.
rwprof
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA now, Antiochian originally

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 10:06:43 AM »

So that's how they made Soylent Green. Grin

Har! Guillain-Barre syndrome, actually.

Mark (rwprof) passed into eternal life on Jan 7, 2010.  May his memory be eternal!
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

lolcat addict

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 10:12:13 AM »

It did? Really?

When it comes to vaccines and influenza, I am rather sceptical because I realize how difficult it is to create the immune memory that would be efficient against a new viral strain (serotype, isolate).

On the other hand, when I hear rumors that "the vaccine gives you flu," or that some vaccines killed people, I am very cautious. That an influenza vaccine can "give you flu," is simply physically impossible, because this vaccine is a "subunit vaccine" (i.e. not a live virus and not even whole inactivated viral particles)...

Ah, evil government and evil scientists plotting... Sad

You can thank Dr. Jenny McCarthy for this line of thinking.  Wink

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
cholmes

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 08:07:13 PM »

This is true of flu shots, but not the spray.

Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 08:16:12 PM »

Okay  ..  Everyone Panic !!!!

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 10:38:52 PM »

Actually, as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy advises: DON'T PANIC.
The vast majority of the economic damage from a pandemic is due to panic rather than the disease itself:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ivd7bcCWOYUFQIv69U41Rqu44QPgD97RR2T05

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2009, 02:52:12 AM »

The World Health Organisation has raised the alert about Swine Flu to Level 4. A pandemic is Level 6.
If the alert is raised to Level 5, the Australian Government may issue travel advisories to restrict travel to the Americas because Australia is entering its Winter (flu season). This would be a real bummer since I already have tickets to the US booked for 2 months time.

It's now been raised to Level 5, as of an hour ago. Sad

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/04/29/swine.flu/index.html

The WHO and national governments have confirmed 148 cases in nine countries. Most of those cases are in the United States, where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has confirmed 91 cases.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 02:54:47 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
ozgeorge
Hoplitarches

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2009, 05:52:59 AM »

This isn't looking good Myrrh Sad

As of tomorrow, Australian International Airports will begin thermal scanning of passengers on incoming flights to detect possible cases of swine flu:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/30/2557521.htm

Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 10:34:14 AM »

There's a chance that this lovely little illness has made it to my neck of the woods.
http://newmexicoindependent.com/26280/gov-bill-richardson-two-potential-swine-flu-cases-in-new-mexico

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 11:46:55 AM »

Actually, as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy advises: DON'T PANIC.
The vast majority of the economic damage from a pandemic is due to panic rather than the disease itself:
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5ivd7bcCWOYUFQIv69U41Rqu44QPgD97RR2T05

I was being sarcastic.... For some reason, our leaders seem to want us to live in constent fear.

I refuse to participate

[[[[ cut to.....Marc's funeral procession.. Dead of Swine Flu ]]]]]]

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 11:47:53 AM by Marc1152 » Logged

Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 11:52:38 AM »

I CAN'T get swine flu.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 03:20:08 PM »

I CAN'T get swine flu.

That's right! We can't have you dying! You haven't converted to Orthodoxy yet!! angel
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:20:31 PM by Myrrh23 » Logged

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Papist
Toumarches

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 03:21:15 PM »

I CAN'T get swine flu.

That's right! You haven't converted to Orthodoxy yet!! angel
Smiley That's the second time some one has joked about me converting to Orthodoxy today!  Grin
As for my coment about swine flu, I meant it as a joke about my germophobia. LOL
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 03:29:30 PM by Papist » Logged

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2009, 03:23:30 PM »

This isn't looking good Myrrh Sad

As of tomorrow, Australian International Airports will begin thermal scanning of passengers on incoming flights to detect possible cases of swine flu:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/30/2557521.htm

Sorry it's raining on your parade, love, but if this gets worse and you were to get sick, it would be a lousy vacation, at best.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 03:25:15 PM »

I CAN'T get swine flu.

That's right! You haven't converted to Orthodoxy yet!! angel
Smiley That's the second time some one has joked about me converting to Orthodoxy today!  Grin
As for my comment about swine flu, it as a joke about my germophobia. LOL

Well..I haven't converted either...been sorta dragging my feet...(whistles nonchalantly) Wink

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 03:28:04 PM »

This would be a real bummer since I already have tickets to the US booked for 2 months time.

Ditto
Marc1152
Toumarches

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 09:32:06 PM »

I want the swine flu.

GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 10:12:16 PM »

I was being sarcastic.... For some reason, our leaders seem to want us to live in constent fear.

I refuse to participate

Me too, Marc.  Remember a few years back when we were counseled to live in fear of the flesh eating Ebola virus?  Then it was SARS?  And then it was West Nile Virus?  Now it's Swine Influenza.  Seems like Big Brother wants to divert attention from himself. [insert emoticon with one eyebrow raised]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:12:32 PM by GabrieltheCelt » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2009, 12:28:46 AM »

Me too, Marc.  Remember a few years back when we were counseled to live in fear of the flesh eating Ebola virus?  Then it was SARS?  And then it was West Nile Virus?  Now it's Swine Influenza.  Seems like Big Brother wants to divert attention from himself. [insert emoticon with one eyebrow raised]

SARS, west nile virus, and influenza are pretty boring...but the Ebola virus is pretty damned cool. Now it'd be a really cool virus if it could manage to mutuate to get itself airborne and possibly double or tripple the gestation time...as of now it's too hard to transmit and manifests itself too quickly. Rumour has it that the DoD managed to make it airborn, not sure about gestation time.

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2009, 12:33:53 AM »

Rumor has it that the Department of Defense managed to make it airborne; not sure about gestation time.

What the hell is wrong with everybody?  Why would you work to create such a thing?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:35:04 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2009, 12:34:28 AM »

DOUBLE POST
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:49:03 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2009, 12:44:05 AM »

DOUBLE POST PLEASE DELETE

it's not standard policy of oc.net to delete posts. -username! other topics section moderator.

Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2009, 12:50:30 AM »

Rumor has it that the Department of Defense managed to make it airborne; not sure about gestation time.

What the hell is wrong with everybody?  Why would you work to create such a thing?

To hear the creepy, spine-tingling music that would no doubtly be played during the viral gestation scene of a Discovery Channel Special on it? Grin
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 12:51:56 AM by Myrrh23 » Logged

John of the North
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Edmonton and the West

Christ is Risen!

tgild
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2009, 12:52:32 AM »

Wars go over better if you are not sending flag-draped caskets back home....

"Christianity is not a philosophy, not a doctrine, but life." - Elder Sophrony (Sakharov)
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2009, 12:53:07 AM »

Like anything else... because we can!   Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2009, 01:25:09 AM »

Wars go over better if you are not sending flag-draped caskets back home....

What, so you mean they're created to release diseases that will kill off the native populations of the areas the US military is occupying, thus causing less military damage?  Yeah, that'll sure quell the resistance movements... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 01:26:01 AM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2009, 01:32:20 AM »

What's the big deal? Does it really matter if you hit someone with a guided missle or infect them with a virus? Plus, for all the science that went into the guided missle, being able to manipulate a virus like that is at least as impressive, if not more so. Just so long as you can safegaurd your own forces, anything that will take out the enemy is a good thing. The ideal thing would be if we had a vaccine we could give our own soldiers which we could deny the enemy.

Alveus Lacuna
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »

What's the big deal?

Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: