OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 20, 2014, 11:57:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sator Palindrome  (Read 4772 times) Average Rating: 0
Eleos
Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« on: March 16, 2009, 08:33:48 PM »

According to the Ge’ez dictionary (Aleqa Kidanewold’s), the names Sador, Alador, Danat Adera, Rodas are Ge’ez words. “Sador” means the piercing on the ribs by the lancet; “Alador” means the piercing on the right hand; “Danat” means the piercing on the left palm; “Adera” means the piercing on right foot; and “Rodas” means the piercing on the left foot. In Amharic we use these names as in Ge’ez. This is because names are usually not translated but used as they are.

Greetings and many, many thanks for the information that's been shared in this thread.  I personally find that the more I learn about the Ethiopian tradition and wisdom, the more my faith in Christ is strengthened. 

In reference to these Ge'ez names, I am struck by their similarity to a gift that was given to me many years back by a friend of mine.  He gave me a clay square with the following Latin words engraved:

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS

I wonder if the Ge'ez names are derived from this Latin word square?
Read more about the fascinating Sator square here on wikipedia

Do the words in original Ge'ez script form a palindrome  in the form of a cross like they do in Latin?
Thanks

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
Hiywot

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 10:23:27 AM »

In reference to these Ge'ez names, I am struck by their similarity to a gift that was given to me many years back by a friend of mine.  He gave me a clay square with the following Latin words engraved:
SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS
Do the words in original Ge'ez script form a palindrome  in the form of a cross like they do in Latin?
Thanks

Eleos

What are you pushing me into? I don’t want the discussion in this thread to be led into occult/magic exercises. We are Christians. We don’t believe in magic squares or palindromes. For me, the “sator square” either has nothing to do with the names of the piercings on Jesus body or is a distortion of the true names of the piercings for occult exercises.

Hiywot
Eleos
Elder

Jurisdiction: Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 05:24:37 PM »

SATOR
AREPO
TENET
OPERA
ROTAS
Thanks

Eleos

What are you pushing me into? I don’t want the discussion in this thread to be led into occult/magic exercises. We are Christians. We don’t believe in magic squares or palindromes. For me, the “sator square” either has nothing to do with the names of the piercings on Jesus body or is a distortion of the true names of the piercings for occult exercises.

Hiywot

Hiywot,
I'm sorry, I didn't think I was pushing you into anything.  I am asking if the Ge'ez forms a palindrome in the shape of a cross like the "sator square" does.  For me, it's possible origin in Ethiopian tradition supports that it's a Christian symbol despite what people have to say otherwise or the various misinterpretations of it in history.  I personally don't feel superstitious about it, and remain firmly rooted in worship of the Holy Trinity.
Forgive me

"The Unity of the Church, as Your Holinesses well know it, is the will of God and ought to be an inspiring example to all men. It should always be a help and not a hindrance to the unity of men of different religions."-Emperor Haile Selassie To the Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches 1965
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 12:00:39 PM »

We don’t believe in magic squares or palindromes.
Really? Christians don't believe in palindromes?

Wow. Now I'll never know the answer to 8764+4767. Cry

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Warned
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 04:43:36 PM »

I think the point brother Hiywot is making is that as Ethiopian Orthodox Christians we don't participate or place faith in occultic and magical uses of palindromes and such. Satan is always trying to misappropriate holy things for his perverted purposes. As Christians we must guard ourselves against these demonic deceptions. As intriguing as the "Sator Square" may be, it cannot compare to the spiritual power that is given to us through the sacrificial and healing wounds that Our Lord Eyesus Kristos received at the Cross. Therefore we focus on the names of these five wounds and meditate on their redemptive power. This is far more spiritually productive than delving into the magical uses of palindromes, astrology, numerology, etc.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 07:53:03 PM »

I think what our brother Hiywot wants to reject is any association between the names for the five piercings and something which may be occult or magical.

Based on Eleos' clarification, I don't believe it was his intent to make such an association.  I think he was just commenting on the remarkable similarity between the names of the five piercings and the words in the sator square and wondering if that could support the theory that the sator square has early Christian origins. 

The Wikipedia article linked by Eleos does present the theory that the words of the sator square could have an early Christian origin.  Given the fact that the Ethiopians have preserved so many early Christian traditions which have been abandoned elsewhere, it could be that these were words used by early Christians for the five piercings and that the pagan Romans then took the words and used them for something else.  I don't know.  I wonder how much research has been done on this.

Elias

Faith: Eritrean Tewahdo Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Oriental,

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 09:50:51 PM »

Thanks

Dear Eleos,

The names in Ge'ez are not original Ge'ez. My info is and as you also correctly guessed, they had been derived both from Latin and Greek and ended up in their Ge'ez form. In  Ge'ez, there are so many terms that have retained the original form of Greek with a very minor modification. Now, as someone who speaks a language that is directly derived from Ge'ez (called tigrigna) ,I would not be in the position to think , guess or link their meanings to other terms in Ge'ez to find out what they would entail.

As to the second question of forming a palindrome , below is the Geez variation; and it appears as if the magic fails this time;-).

SADOR
ALADO
DANAT
ABERA
RODAS

Thank you for your observation, the form of the palindrome got me into thinking.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 09:53:14 PM by Elias » Logged
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 11:10:48 AM »

I think what our brother Hiywot wants to reject is any association between the names for the five piercings and something which may be occult or magical.

Based on Eleos' clarification, I don't believe it was his intent to make such an association.  I think he was just commenting on the remarkable similarity between the names of the five piercings and the words in the sator square and wondering if that could support the theory that the sator square has early Christian origins.
Which is interesting. It just seems like when people do something cool like the wordplay we see in this example, others feel like they must yell "Occult!" These people fear demonic activity, looking for it everywhere. What power do demons have? What can they accomplish? Even the devil himself can only steal, kill, and destroy--but after that, can do no more. So this fear of the unknown (which is what is meant by "occult," "hidden") is irrational. I swear I will slap the next person who uses that word, digital slap if necessary.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 07:15:26 PM »

I'm not sure you properly understand Hiywot's objection, Mr. Y, so I'm going to explain it to you as best I can.   Smiley

Hiywot was not objecting to "wordplay."  He was objecting to the implication that something from his Church's sacred tradition had pagan roots.

The words for Christ's five wounds have a special place in the Ethiopian Church's Holy Tradition.  Eleos observed a similarity between those five words and the five words of the Sator palindrome.  Eleos also linked a wikipedia article.  If you look at the wikipedia article linked by Eleos, it connects the Sator palindrome to Roman paganism, magic, occultism, etc.  Hiywot read into this an implication that the Ethiopian Church's tradition about the five words could have pagan origins.  He was understandably offended.  Eleos cleared things up, stating that such an implication was not his intent.

So you see, this isn't about people irrationally yelling "occult" whenever they see cool wordplays.

This is a thread about various Ethiopian Orthodox traditions.  If you want to start a thread about whether Orthodox Christians see occultism where it doesn't exist, that would be great, but it should be a separate thread, preferably in a different forum.  If you want to start a thread in this forum about the Oriental Orthodox and how we feel about paganism, magic, the occult, etc, that's fine, but it really should be another thread.

I hope that clears things up a bit.   Smiley

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2009, 07:18:42 PM »

I swear I will slap the next person who uses that word, digital slap if necessary.

I wouldn't do that in this forum, if I were you.  You see, I'd have to slap you back, and as some monks in Jerusalem can tell you, Armenians slap back pretty hard.   Wink

ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2009, 11:38:09 PM »

This is a thread about various Ethiopian Orthodox traditions.  If you want to start a thread about whether Orthodox Christians see occultism where it doesn't exist, that would be great, but it should be a separate thread, preferably in a different forum.  If you want to start a thread in this forum about the Oriental Orthodox and how we feel about paganism, magic, the occult, etc, that's fine, but it really should be another thread.
It's your board. Do what you want.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2009, 12:05:53 AM »

I'm not sure you properly understand Hiywot's objection, Mr. Y, so I'm going to explain it to you as best I can.   Smiley

Hiywot was not objecting to "wordplay."  He was objecting to the implication that something from his Church's sacred tradition had pagan roots.

The words for Christ's five wounds have a special place in the Ethiopian Church's Holy Tradition.  Eleos observed a similarity between those five words and the five words of the Sator palindrome.  Eleos also linked a wikipedia article.  If you look at the wikipedia article linked by Eleos, it connects the Sator palindrome to Roman paganism, magic, occultism, etc.  Hiywot read into this an implication that the Ethiopian Church's tradition about the five words could have pagan origins.  He was understandably offended.  Eleos cleared things up, stating that such an implication was not his intent.

So you see, this isn't about people irrationally yelling "occult" whenever they see cool wordplays.

Mr. Y's response to this post was split off and given its own thread here:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,20302.new.html#new
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 12:09:17 AM by Salpy » Logged

Eleos
Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:34 AM »

Hi Salpy!  May I suggest that you split off my post and its various responses about the Sator square to it's own thread in a more appropriate place.  I am still interested in that subject, and especially anything brothers and sisters with knowledge have to say about it.  I also didn't mean for my inquiry to interrupt or take away from the information in the thread that has been generously shared.  It clearly cannot be confined to Ethiopian tradition, especially since its first known appearance is in 73 AD in Herculaneum, and is also found in the british isles as early as the 2nd century.

I also don't think it's fair to label it as "Pagan" just because someone wants to peg it to the cult of "Mithras".  This same prideful academic movement would probably push the theory that ALL of Christianity as derived from "pagan" roots.  I ask those who want to quickly agree with so called authorities who despise us Orthodox Christians, why jump to the conclusion that this symbol is "satanic", especially when it points to the symbol of the cross, with the label "Alpha and Omega" and the accompanying anagram "Our Father".  I am unwilling to make this jump.  The fact that Ethiopians have a continued history of reverent prayerful use of these 5 words, is further reason not to label them as occultic.

Of course, there cannot be a variety of paganism, which I, as a follow of Jesus Christ see as a misunderstanding of created natural order, without the Logos in the first place.  Furthermore, the relationship between God and humanity has a much longer history in "Ethiopia" than most people realize.  Melchizedek, the father of the Ethiopian nation after the flood, received visitors from all over the world in Jerusalem who sought his spiritual teaching and of course brought it back to their native lands where it carried forth into history in its own regional forms.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2009, 01:32:33 AM »

I swear I will slap the next person who uses that word, digital slap if necessary.

I wouldn't do that in this forum, if I were you.  You see, I'd have to slap you back, and as some monks in Jerusalem can tell you, Armenians slap back pretty hard.   Wink

ST. LUKE 6:29

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2009, 01:50:43 AM »

This was split off from the thread below:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.new.html#new

tellthetruth

Faith: inter-faith christian

« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:30:15 PM »

Ethiopian Orthodox Mequteria Prayers

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41, and 64 beads, also known as a Mequteria. 41 is the number of lashes that Jesus received and 64 is the age of the Theotokos at her Assumption. Some monks and hermits use 150 to 300 beads, or even more than that.

When using the 41 bead Mequteria , the prayers recited are:

1. The Lord's Prayer with Gabriel's Salutation:

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he may forgive us our sins now and forever Amen." (12 times)

2. Lord have mercy on us (41 times)

3. In the name of Mary, Lord have mercy on us (41 times)

4. Kirya Layson (Kyrie Elieson) (41 times)

5. Sador (the piercing on the ribs by the lancet), Alador (the piercing on the right hand), Danat (the piercing on the left palm), Adera (the piercing on right foot), Rodas (the piercing on the left foot) (41 times)

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

8. Save us from wrath and deliver us by your mercy, in the name of Mary Your Mother (41 times)

9. Hear us! Our God and Savior (41 times)

10. Elohe! (Pronounced as “Elohee” and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46) (41 times)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! (Pronounced as “Yae” meaning “woe to me”) My God see me! (41 times)

12. O! God according to your mercy and not according to our sin (12 times)

13. Lord remember us in thy Kingdom (12 times)

14. The Magnificat:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother, and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)

These are the 14 common recitations by all those who use the Mequteria. One can, however, add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using a 64 bead Mequteria all the prayers recited 41 times, will instead, be recited 64 times. Those prayers recited 7, or 12 times remain the same.

There you go Hiywot. I think that this is the final, and hopefully faithful representation. I believe I will now post it under the Oriental Orthodox Prayers Thread. Thanks, and God Bless!

Thank you for taking an interest in these holy and mystical prayers. They have been a great blessing in my life, and I know they shall bless others.

If only I were more faithful in praying them!

Selam
Thank you for posting this.

I was looking for info on  "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" and found a rather disturbing article. Here is the link http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3926/is_200307/ai_n9291635/pg_7/. What I found disturbing is the source quoted as "Lefefa Sedek" and that this book is the equivalent of the "Book of the Dead" used by the Egyptians.
Could you please confirm this and elaborate on the book "Lefefa Sedek"?

Going back to  "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" the same source states that the words are rather "...The garbled form of the formula". The formula being the "Sator Formula" that has been a mystery for centuries. The "Sator Formula" words being "SATOR, AREPO, TENET, OPERA, ROTAS" if you write this words as in word puzzle across and down you get a square and the words read the same both ways. It's a palindrome. See here:http://www.johntcullen.com/readingroom/satorarepotenetoperarotas/

Would you say that the "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"  taught by the Ethn. Orthodox church as being the names of the five wounds of our Lord and Savior have something to do with "SATOR, AREPO, TENET, OPERA, ROTAS" - the Sator Formula?

Does the Ethn. Orthodox church use the "Book of the Dead"? Is it the translated version of the ancient Egyptians "Book of the Dead" which venerated their many gods?

Here is a book review on "Lefefa Sedek" which was translated into English called "Bandlet of Righteousness"
http://books.google.com/books?id=msl1Zdr3xMMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Bandlet+of+Righteousness&source=bl&ots=T5cd8bnsyx&sig=glTGxmTVqaMuOJI5GqhyZyu33zs&hl=en&ei=bvl6S-6RCY3p8Qbmi9nbBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=true

Please google the "Sator Formula", "Lefefa Sedek", "Book of the Dead" and see for yourself.

I sincerely wait for your reply.
ttt (tellthetruth)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:58:31 PM by Salpy » Logged
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41, and 64 beads, also known as a Mequteria. 41 is the number of lashes that Jesus received and 64 is the age of the Theotokos at her Assumption. Some monks and hermits use 150 to 300 beads, or even more than that.

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he may forgive us our sins now and forever Amen." (12 times)

5. Sador (the piercing on the ribs by the lancet), Alador (the piercing on the right hand), Danat (the piercing on the left palm), Adera (the piercing on right foot), Rodas (the piercing on the left foot) (41 times)

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

8. Save us from wrath and deliver us by your mercy, in the name of Mary Your Mother (41 times)

10. Elohe! (Pronounced as “Elohee” and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46) (41 times)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! (Pronounced as “Yae” meaning “woe to me”) My God see me! (41 times)

14. The Magnificat:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother, and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)

These are the 14 common recitations by all those who use the Mequteria. One can, however, add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using a 64 bead Mequteria all the prayers recited 41 times, will instead, be recited 64 times. Those prayers recited 7, or 12 times remain the same.

There you go Hiywot. I think that this is the final, and hopefully faithful representation. I believe I will now post it under the Oriental Orthodox Prayers Thread. Thanks, and God Bless!

Thank you for taking an interest in these holy and mystical prayers. They have been a great blessing in my life, and I know they shall bless others.

Selam

I was looking for info on  "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" and found a rather disturbing article. Here is the link http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3926/is_200307/ai_n9291635/pg_7/. What I found disturbing is the source quoted as "Lefefa Sedek" and that this book is the equivalent of the "Book of the Dead" used by the Egyptians.

Going back to  "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" the same source states that the words are rather "...The garbled form of the formula". The formula being the "Sator Formula" that has been a mystery for centuries. The "Sator Formula" words being "SATOR, AREPO, TENET, OPERA, ROTAS" if you write this words as in word puzzle across and down you get a square and the words read the same both ways. It's a palindrome. See here:http://www.johntcullen.com/readingroom/satorarepotenetoperarotas/

Would you say that the "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"  taught by the Ethn. Orthodox church as being the names of the five wounds of our Lord and Savior have something to do with "SATOR, AREPO, TENET, OPERA, ROTAS" - the Sator Formula?

Does the Ethn. Orthodox church use the "Book of the Dead"? Is it the translated version of the ancient Egyptians "Book of the Dead" which venerated their many gods?

Here is a book review on "Lefefa Sedek" which was translated into English called "Bandlet of Righteousness"
http://books.google.com/books?id=msl1Zdr3xMMC&printsec=frontcover&dq=Bandlet+of+Righteousness&source=bl&ots=T5cd8bnsyx&sig=glTGxmTVqaMuOJI5GqhyZyu33zs&hl=en&ei=bvl6S-6RCY3p8Qbmi9nbBw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=3&ved=0CA8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=&f=true

Please google the "Sator Formula", "Lefefa Sedek", "Book of the Dead" and see for yourself.

ttt (tellthetruth)

Dear brother,

Please know that we do not use the Egyptian Book of the Dead! Also, we do not subscribe to the use of magical palindromes or other occultic practices. The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is the oldest and purest expression of authentic Christian Faith. Thus, our Church condemns astrology and occultism in the strongest possible terms. The words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" are simply names given to the five wounds of Our Lord on the Cross. As with all holy things, satan will try to pervert them and misguided people will misappropriate them for evil purposes.

Selam
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:58:57 PM by Salpy » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 10:55:05 PM »

The above two posts were split off from the same thread about Ethiopian Traditions which produced this present thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,4892.new.html#new
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:01:32 AM by Salpy » Logged

tellthetruth

Faith: inter-faith christian

« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 01:20:16 PM »

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

14. The Magnificat:

Selam

ttt (tellthetruth)

Dear brother,

Please know that we do not use the Egyptian Book of the Dead! Also, we do not subscribe to the use of magical palindromes or other occultic practices. The Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church is the oldest and purest expression of authentic Christian Faith. Thus, our Church condemns astrology and occultism in the strongest possible terms. The words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas" are simply names given to the five wounds of Our Lord on the Cross. As with all holy things, satan will try to pervert them and misguided people will misappropriate them for evil purposes.

Selam

My brother,

Thank you for your post.

What's the origin of the words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"? Is it Ge'ez, Latin, Hebrew...?
Where else in the holy books can one find these words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"?
What's the book "Lefefa Sedek"? Is it a holy book? Who wrote it?
Thank you my brother.
ttt (tellthetruth)
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

14. The Magnificat:

Selam

ttt (tellthetruth)

Dear brother,

Selam

My brother,

Thank you for your post.

What's the origin of the words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"? Is it Ge'ez, Latin, Hebrew...?
Where else in the holy books can one find these words "Sador, Alador, Danat, Adera, Rodas"?
What's the book "Lefefa Sedek"? Is it a holy book? Who wrote it?
Thank you my brother.
ttt (tellthetruth)

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your questions. But if you PM brother Hiywot, he may be able to help you. Let us know what you find out.

Selam

samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »

I thought the Sator Palindrome was Christian.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 07:46:56 PM »

I thought the Sator Palindrome was Christian.
I think that's what Gebre is arguing, that the Sator Palindrome IS Christian.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 09:00:56 PM »

I think he and others in this thread are arguing that the five words have Christian roots, but that the Sator Palindrome, which has been used for pagan and occult purposes, is not Christian and is not connected to the Ethiopian Church.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 10:24:36 PM »

I do have an Ethiopian prayer book that contains this palindrome. But it just mentions that these words are the names of the five wounds of Christ. It says nothing about it even being a palindrome. We pray these five words as part of our Mequteria Prayers, in order to meditate upon Our Lord's suffering. But that's as far as it goes. I think it's dangerous to ascribe anything more to it.  For what could be more mystically potent and profitable than to sincerely meditate on the five wounds of Christ?

Selam
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 10:25:20 PM by Gebre Menfes Kidus » Logged

samkim
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »

I thought the Sator Palindrome was one of those ancient secret Christian symbols like the ICQYC fish or the anchor.

주 예수 그리스도 하느님의 아들이시여 저 이 죄인을 불쌍히 여기소서.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2010, 01:10:50 AM »

See the wikipedia article, linked in the first post above, for some magical uses that people have given the palindrome over the centuries.  I think that is what our Ethiopian Orthodox brothers are trying to distance their Church from.

Tags: Paganism Ge’ez Tewahedo Sator Palindrome Ethiopian Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: