OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 02:45:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Resource on St. Evagrius  (Read 1860 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: November 28, 2008, 01:32:48 AM »

I just found this resource on St. Evagrius Ponticus:

http://www.ldysinger.com/Evagrius/00a_start.htm

The website contains many of St. Evagrius' writings translated into English.  The monk who put up the website says the translations are in the public domain. 

St. Evagrius' feast day is coming up in the Armenian Church during the first week of December.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:00:05 AM »

I've just been notified of another resource on St. Evagrius, the Guide to Evagrius Ponticus:

http://evagriusponticus.net/index.htm

I heard about it from the editor, Joel Kalvesmaki, who described it like this:

...a digital-only, peer-reviewed reference work about the fourth-century monastic theologian. Updated quarterly, it provides definitive, integrated lists of Evagrius's works, of editions and translations of those works, and of studies related to his life and thought. The Guide also includes a sourcebook of key ancient testimonies to Evagrius and his reception, in English translation, as well as a checklist of images from the ancient world.

The Guide takes relatively new approaches to open-access academic publishing in the digital humanities, and so is anticipated to develop over the coming years. Future editions will include a manuscript checklist, images of manuscripts, transcriptions of those manuscripts, and open-source critical editions of Evagrius's writings.

Sounds very cool.   Smiley

Severian
God save Egypt, Syria, Lebanon & Iraq
Protokentarchos

Faith: Miaphysite Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: The Church of Alexandria

Saint Severus of Antioch - the Eloquent Mouth

Partisangirl
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:34:48 PM »

I am going to try and focus solely on spirituality-based Patristic texts for a while. What do you guys recommend I read first of St. Evagrius?

An Icon of St. Evagrius:

Click

EDIT: Thank you, Salpy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:57:36 PM by Severian » Logged

"These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." -Jesus Christ

I am currently not an active poster on the forum. Please forgive any offense I might have caused in the past. Thank you.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:55:05 PM »

A while back I read The Praktikos and Chapters on Prayer:

http://www.amazon.com/Evagrius-Ponticus-Praktikos-Chapters-Cistercian/dp/0879079045

I found them edifying.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 06:55:57 PM by Salpy » Logged

CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 03:28:53 PM »

Fascinating interview with Augustine Casiday, the author of "Reconstructing the Theology of Evagrius Ponticus: Beyond Heresy"

http://easternchristianbooks.blogspot.com/2014/06/augustine-casiday-on-evagrius-of-pontus.html

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Tags: Evagrius saints Oriental Orthodox saints Church Fathers Patristic sayings Oriental Orthodox Fathers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: