OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:10:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bishop Ukhtanes of Sebastia  (Read 1863 times) Average Rating: 0
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« on: August 06, 2008, 12:16:41 AM »

While OC.net was down, I read a book.    Shocked Shocked Shocked

The title is Bishop Ukhtanes of Sebastia (X Century): History of Armenia Part II, History of the Severance of the Georgians from the Armenians, second edition.

The English translation is by Fr. Zaven Arzoumanian, and this edition was printed by the Armenian Western Diocese of the Unitied States.

The book may have a long title, but it is very interesting.  It was a tenth century compilation by Bishop Ukhtanes, of letters and documents dating back to the early 600's, when the Georgian Church broke from the Armenian Church and embraced Chalcedon.  Bishop Ukhtanes took the letters of all the main players, including the Catholicoi of the Georgians and Armenians at that time, as well as others who were involved.  He put the letters in order and tied them together with some explanation and commentary.  I don't want to discuss it in too much detail, as that may be more fit for the private forum.  However, there were some surprises:

1.  There was absolutely no mention of Constantinople II.  The Catholicos of the Georgians never mentions it at all, and in fact says he is accepting the "four Councils" which "The Greeks are guided by."  (page 100)

Why is this?  Could this be because only 50 years had passed since Constantinople II and communication was really slow back then?  Or could it be because this was after the emperor maurice had supposedly "backslid" on Constantinople II and gone back into communion with the Nestorian Persian Church?  The book doesn't say, and I am left very frustrated not knowing.   Angry

2.  There is a sort of OO counter-legend to the EO legend of St. Euphemia at Chalcedon.  I had never heard it before.  (page 75)

3.  One of the letters contains one of the strangest anathemas I have ever read.  It condemns Nestorius, Eutyches, Eunemus, Severus [I think of Antioch], Marcion, Sabellius, and the Council of Chalcedon.  The funny thing is that all of them were condemned for the same reason, that they all preached that the two natures of one Christ were divided and separated from each other after being fully united. (page 68)  This kind of gives credence to the people who say that back then people didn't really understand each other.   Tongue

Anyway, if you are into obscure historical stuff, you might like this book.   Smiley

Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 09:41:40 PM »

I just realized I didn't give any link to help people get the book if they wanted it.  Like I said, it was printed by the Armenian Western Diocese.  Unfortunately, they don't have an online bookstore.  However, they do have a guy you can contact if you want any of their books.  His name is Remo (pronounced Ray-mo) and he is a really nice guy.  He's the seventh one down on this list:

http://www.armenianchurchwd.com/diocesan-staff/

Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 09:51:54 PM »

Thanks, Salpy. This is of particular interest to me. Book goes on acquire-read list.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Salpy
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2008, 02:25:30 AM »

When you read it, let us know what you think.  I just found it full of weird surprises.

Tags: Georgian Church Armenian Church Constantinople II schism Chalcedon Georgia 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: