OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 23, 2014, 03:25:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yummmy, had Ethiopian food last night  (Read 2412 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« on: December 21, 2007, 02:19:52 PM »

I ate Ethiopian food last night for the second time in my life and wow. I just love it. I had a vegetarian combo and it was amazing. I love that bread too. in case anyone doesn't know, Ethiopian food is served on a fermented bread covered plate. You get a second piece of this bread (it is thin and porous) and you scoop up a portion of whichever part of food you want (they are all arranged in little piles around the circular bread).

Just thought I would say something Smiley

Anastasios

(PS I had Indian for lunch so I mean wow, you can't beat Indian and Ethiopian food in the same day!)

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 02:21:19 PM »

Mmmmmmmmmmm.  Well, I am jealous.   laugh Tongue

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »

I've always wanted to try some Ethiopian food ever since my wife introduced me to the joys of non-European food (Indian food is my FAVORITE, esp. lamb vindaloo).  There's a whole strip of Ethiopian restaurants down in DC near the nightclub my old band used to play at alot; in fact, one of our old stomping grounds is now an Ethiopian restaurant.  Perhaps we'll head down there after Christmas to visit some friends and get some more food.

Darnit, now you've gone and made me hungry Tongue

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 02:54:05 PM »

Anastasios, you're soo right...Ethiopian food is great!

I wonder if Deacon Amde might contribute some posts on the Recipe threads?  (hint, hint!)

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
zebu
Mot à ta mère!
Elder

Jurisdiction: ROCOR

aimovoroi tourkoi!

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »

I had never experienced the sheer joy that is Ethiopian food until I started college a year ago. There is a small Ethiopian neighborhood just to the south of where I live now and so I'm definitely becoming an expert on all things Ethiopian, lol.  Interestingly, the Ethiopian restaurants are all open until 2 or 3am, which can be most convenient!

Жизнь прожить не поле перейти
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2007, 02:39:04 PM »

First tried ethopian food in a DC restaurant. What's up with the bread. It was like eating a sponge.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2007, 02:50:51 PM »

I ate Ethiopian food last night for the second time in my life and wow. I just love it. I had a vegetarian combo and it was amazing. I love that bread too. in case anyone doesn't know, Ethiopian food is served on a fermented bread covered plate. You get a second piece of this bread (it is thin and porous) and you scoop up a portion of whichever part of food you want (they are all arranged in little piles around the circular bread).

Just thought I would say something Smiley

Anastasios

(PS I had Indian for lunch so I mean wow, you can't beat Indian and Ethiopian food in the same day!)

You've been going to Orthodox food for HOW LONG and you've only had it twice?Huh  I eat it about monthly, which is enough for me.  I prefer Indian food if I want something along those lines, but once a week is fine for Indian (of which I had an eggplant potato curry last night). We have lunch after Liturgy every Sunday and some of the Eritreans take turns cooking with everyone else on a regular basis.  I teased one how I didn't know that pasta was an Eritrean food now, and then one of them reminded me how the Italians were there for about 50 years.
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »

There's an Ethiopian restaurant that's less than a quarter of a mile away from my house. We really need to go sometime, although my parents seem to have an aversion to trying it.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »

It's one of my favorite things to eat in the world but all the restaurants are in the city and my wife isn't a fan  Sad

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 12:46:35 AM »

The East Bay has quite a nice selection of Ethiopian restaurants. Definitely would be in my top 5 styles of cuisine.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Xenia1918
High Elder

Faith: Praying for Divine guidance

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 01:15:17 AM »

I love Indian food, and I'm fortunate because there are a lot of Indian restaurants not far from my home. Ditto for Russian, Georgian, Azerbajani food, amongst others. We also have Brazilian and Middle Eastern eateries here.

I think there is an Ethiopian eatery in my city, but its in a very bad section of town, so I'll most likely never go there.

"O God, enlarge within us the sense of fellowship with all living things, our brothers the animals to whom Thou gavest the earth as their home in common with us..." (from the Prayer of St Basil the Great)

REAL RC: http://www.traditionalmass.org
REAL OC: http://www.orthodoxinfo.com
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »

I love Indian food, and I'm fortunate because there are a lot of Indian restaurants not far from my home. Ditto for Russian, Georgian, Azerbajani food, amongst others. We also have Brazilian and Middle Eastern eateries here.

I think there is an Ethiopian eatery in my city, but its in a very bad section of town, so I'll most likely never go there.

Which city?

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
JimCBrooklyn
Site Supporter
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate-Diocese of Saint Petersburg/ROCOR-Diocese of Eastern America and New York

Если бога нет, то все позволено

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 01:46:08 AM »

Had my 1st Ethiopian in years on my road trip a couple weeks back in LA. Just awesome. Even had a St. George's Ethiopian beer.

Now I'm trying to find some decent Uzbek food back in the states, preferably in/around NY. It's all over Russia, and I'm jonesing.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 01:46:50 AM by JimCBrooklyn » Logged

It is not the task of Christianity to provide easy answers to every question, but to make us progressively aware of a mystery. God is not so much the object of our knowledge as the cause of our wonder.
-Metropolitan Kallistos Ware
TheodoraElizabeth3
Elder

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2011, 01:42:31 PM »

I like the food, can't take the bread. The texture totally turns me off. I've eaten at various Ethiopian restaurants, as well as having food made by Ethiopian immigrants. Every time I've had the bread, it's not been a good experience.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 11:28:48 PM »

The East Bay has quite a nice selection of Ethiopian restaurants. Definitely would be in my top 5 styles of cuisine.
The East Bay of what?  SF Bay Area?

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
deusveritasest
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: None

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 11:20:43 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry for assuming people would know what I meant. Yeah, I was referring to the East San Francisco Bay Area (which includes Contra Costa and Alameda counties), particularly the cities of Oakland and Berkeley.

I stopped posting here in August 2011 because of stark disagreement with the policies of the administration and moderating team of the forums. If you desire, feel free to PM me, message me on Facebook (link in profile), or email me: cddombrowski@gmail.com
Alveus Lacuna
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 12:29:56 AM »

We have Ethiopians at my church and they bring this stuff for our communal meal like every week.
Agia Marina
Site Supporter
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA, Bulgarian Diocese

Father Theodor Micka

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 12:57:11 AM »

Oh, I'm sorry for assuming people would know what I meant. Yeah, I was referring to the East San Francisco Bay Area (which includes Contra Costa and Alameda counties), particularly the cities of Oakland and Berkeley.
I live in the East Bay.  Just wanted to be sure we were talking about the same bay.  Smiley

Have you had the lentil sambussa at Rasselas Jazz Club across from the Fillmore?  Delicious!  And, Berkeley's got a few Ethiopian restaurants.  Now, I'm hungry.

“When I have a little money I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” - Erasmus

"God became man so that man might become a god." ~St. Athanasius the Great

Poster formerly known as EVOO.
CoptoGeek
of Alexandria, the Christ-loving City
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 11:05:06 AM »

Now I'm trying to find some decent Uzbek food back in the states, preferably in/around NY. It's all over Russia, and I'm jonesing.

Dunno about NY. but if you're ever around Philly, Uzbekistan in Northeast Philly is very good. That's where all the Russians around here go.

http://www.philly.com/philly/restaurants/Uzbekistan.html

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 06:36:16 PM »

Dunno about NY. but if you're ever around Philly, Uzbekistan in Northeast Philly is very good. That's where all the Russians around here go.

I live around Philly... are there any Georgian restaurants around?

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »

I thought you were from the Philly area.  Is there even a sizable Georgian community here? I met Niko Chocheli once, but that's as much as I know about anything Georgian here. Sorry.

"Be oppressed, rather than the oppressor. Be gentle, rather than zealous. Lay hold of goodness, rather than justice." -St. Isaac of Nineveh

“I returned to the Coptic Orthodox Church with affection, finding in her our tormented and broken history“. -Salama Moussa
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 09:17:05 AM »

I thought you were from the Philly area.  Is there even a sizable Georgian community here? I met Niko Chocheli once, but that's as much as I know about anything Georgian here. Sorry.

I know a Georgian parish started recently, though they don't have their own building yet. I saw their priest concelebrating at the ROCOR church last year.

I went and did a search and it looks like there is a Georgian restaurant in northeast Philly, called Pirosmani.

CoptoGeek
OC.net guru

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 11:15:05 AM »

I know a Georgian parish started recently, though they don't have their own building yet. I saw their priest concelebrating at the ROCOR church last year.

I went and did a search and it looks like there is a Georgian restaurant in northeast Philly, called Pirosmani.

Good to know. It looks like there's a Pirosmani in Brooklyn as well.

Mishakol

Jurisdiction: (closest church)

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 11:21:40 AM »

First tried ethopian food in a DC restaurant. What's up with the bread. It was like eating a sponge.

lol

"And in Him is no darkness at all,"--that is, no passion, no keeping up of evil respecting any one, [He] destroys no one but gives salvation to all. Light moreover signifies, either the precepts of the Law, or faith, or doctrine."

Clement Of Alexandria - Commentary on 1 John.
Tags: Food cuisine 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: