OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 03:59:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Prayers  (Read 29338 times) Average Rating: 0
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« on: October 26, 2007, 11:37:47 AM »

I have just recently been locating and collecting a range of uniquely OO prayers in order to diversify my personal prayer book so as to thereby further enrich my private prayer life. I thought I would create this thread to share, at regular intervals, God-willing, those prayers which enhanced my experience most immensely, in the hope that such prayers will also assist and edify others. For now, here is an amazing prayer to the Most Holy Mary, Bearer of God, by Catholicos St Simeon Yerevantsi (18th Century):

After knocking, with much personal anguish, at the door of mercy of our God and your Only-begotten Son Jesus Christ, I now turn to you with a tearful face. I fall prostrate at your pure feet and knock at the door of your motherly mercy, O Mary, blessed by all...

...O Holy Mary, Bearer of God, what would God the Father withhold from you, He who loved you so much that He granted you His Only-begotten Son through whom He created all creatures? What would God the Son withhold from you that you would ask of Him, He who loved you so much that He dwelt in your womb and sat in your lap, who feeds all but was fed from your breasts, who was your God and Lord but became your son and called you Mother? God the Spirit, too, loved you so much that He entrusted His co-equal in essence to you and He who adorns everything rested in you and made you the lodging place for His unending gifts. What could be lacking that you do not possess? For I truly believe that, according to the angel’s word, the Lord and Giver of all spiritual gifts is with you, (Luke 1:28) and your Son is verily in your lap. Whatever your Son has is yours, and whatever you ask of Him, He will not withhold. And you are able to give to whomever you will: as your Son says through the mouth of Solomon, “Ask, my mother; for whatever you may ask, I shall not turn my face away.”

Therefore, O Mary, holy Bearer of God, next to God you are the expectation of His creatures. You are the joy of the sorrowful, deliverer of the tempted, helper and comfort of believers, and hope and refuge for sinners. In keeping with this, your beloved Son on the cross left to you, through John, those who would believe in Him, as a bequest. By saying, “Woman, behold your son,” (John 19:26) it was as if He said, “Those who believe in Me are yours, and henceforth they are committed to you.” Likewise, in the persona of John He said to us who believe: “‘Behold your mother’; (John 19:27) from now on ask of her whatever you wish.”

Now, O Mother of compassion, Mary, holy Bearer of God, I too am one of the believers in your beloved Son, a pitiful person in spirit and body and wanting in everything. I long for your motherly pity. Being oppressed and wounded by spiritual and physical enemies, I desire your help. Sinful and guilty in everything, I desire your support and your infusion of hope...Be a mediator and commend me, sinful servant that I am, to your only-begotten Son, that He may accept my pleadings which I have presented to Him and that He may fulfill my requests; that He may forgive my mistakes and pardon all my sins; that He may accept me again into his love and care and that He may keep me as it pleases His will for as long as I am in this body. And after the present life, may He make me worthy to behold Him in bliss.

For I surely believe, O Mother of mercy, that if you were to mention me but once before your beloved Son, it would make my joy and my security in every way complete. If you were to show Him your pure breasts but once, that would be sufficient for my salvation and my absolute deliverance. And if you were to remind Him of just one drop of the tears which you shed at the time of His crucifixion, it would mean the forgiveness of all my sins and life altogether eternal. These are, one and all, easy and possible for your motherly compassion, abundant in mercy; and they are altogether essential and necessary for me, your pitiful servant. And having found mercy from you, I shall glorify your only-begotten Son, with the Father and the Holy Spirit, and shall praise you with thanksgiving, Mother of mercy, forever and ever. Amen.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2007, 11:43:53 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
EkhristosAnesti
'I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; My God, in Him I will trust."' - Psalm 91:2
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:51:41 PM »

Here is a beautiful After Communion prayer from one of the Syrian Orthodox Prayer books (I have done some minor editing on the english and grammar):

With what tongue shall I give thanks to You, O my worshipped God, and how can I praise this great and indescribable Grace of Yours? For You were pleased to give me Your most high Being as a Divine Provision. You have  intoxicated my spirit with Your blood, sanctified me with Your Spirit and satisfied my hunger from the bounty of Your house.  I, therefore, offer You my heart as a dwelling place for Your Majesty forever, that You may reign over all my feelings and inclinations and control them according to Your will. I pray that my Communion may increase my faith, strengthen my hope, kindle within me the fire of Your sweet love, and cause me to grow in all and every virtue. May this Communion be a weapon that shields me against all ambushes of the enemies of my soul.  May it be for unity with You until I gain the privilege of attaining eternal life in Your Heaven with the congregation of Your Saints.  With them I shall offer praise to You with Your Father and Your Holy Spirit forever.  Amen.

I particularly love the imagery of intoxication--an allusion to the notion of "spiritual/sober drunkenness"--which seems to be popular in Syrian Orthodox descriptions of elevated states of spiritual experience.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2007, 10:52:40 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

No longer an active member of this forum. Sincerest apologies to anyone who has taken offence to anything posted in youthful ignorance or negligence prior to my leaving this forum - October, 2012.

"Philosophy is the imitation by a man of what is better, according to what is possible" - St Severus
Salpy
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Armenian Church

Pray for the Christians of Iraq and Syria.

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 01:21:27 AM »

Here are some prayers from the Sunrise Service (Prime) of the Armenian Church.  The prayers were written by St. Nerses Shnorhali in the 12th century.

O Light!  Creator of light, primal light that dwellest in unapproachable light, O heavenly Father, blessed art Thou by the ranks of the luminous ones.  At the rising of the morning light, shine forth upon our souls Thine intelligible light.

O Light!  Born of the Light, righteous Sun, ineffable generation, Son of the Father, Thy name is praised with the Father before the sun.  At the rising of the morning light, shine forth upon our souls Thine intelligible light.

O Light!  Procession from the Father, source of goodness, Holy Spirit of God, the children of the Church praise Thee together with the angels.  At the rising of the morning light, shine forth upon our souls Thine intelligible light.

O Light!  Triune and one indivisible Holy Trinity, we, born of the earth, glorify Thee always together with the heavenly hosts.  At the rising of the morning light, shine forth upon our souls Thine intelligible light.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 02:32:15 AM »

A prayer to the Holy Spirit by St. Gregory of Narek (10th century):

Almighty, beneficent God of all, who loves mankind, maker
of the visible and invisible, savior and creator,
defender and peacemaker, spirit of the Father Almighty,
we beseech you with outstretched arms, tears and prayers,
as we appear before you,
you, who strike terror in our hearts,
judge us as we approach with trembling fear,
presenting first this sacrificial offering of words to your power
that is beyond understanding.
You share the throne, glory and creatorship of the undiminishing
honor of the Father.
You examine our deepest secrets and mysteries.
O Emmanuel, who fulfill the will of your Father
who sent you as the Savior, life-giver and creator.
Through you he is made known to us,
three persons in one Godhead,
of which only you, incomprehensibly, can be known.
By you and through you did our forefathers
the first generation of the patriarchal tribe, called prophets,
tell of the past and the future,
what has been and what is yet to come, in plain words and images.
Spirit of God, Moses proclaimed you as the one
who brooded on the water, an unbounded force,
taking the new-born under your protective wing with care,
and with loving kindness revealing the mystery of the baptismal font.
Likewise, in the pattern of the archetype, before fashioning
the pliable substance with its final covering,
you shaped, in lordly manner, all nature,
the full range existence, all beings from nothing.
Through you all that has been created shall receive
the renewal of the resurrection
on the last day of this life
and the first day in the land of the living.
Christ obeyed you with unity of will as he did his Father,
being of the same family, of the same essence as the Father.
Being the first born son in our image,
he announced, you, true God,
equal and consubstantial with his mighty Father,
He preached against those who blasphemed you,
and, as opponents of God, spoke impiously against you.
He silenced the blasphemous mouths and graced his own people,
Just as the spotless, who finds all,
who was betrayed for our sins,
and rose from the dead to justify us.
Through you glory to him and praise to you,
with the Father almighty, forever and ever.
Amen.

Again, I shall continue in this manner
until the assurance of the miraculous light
heralds the good news of peace.
With all our souls
we pray and beseech you with tearful cries, glorious creator,
incorruptible and uncreated, timeless Holy Spirit of compassion.
You are the intercessor of our silent sighs to your merciful Father.
You who keep the saints, purify the sinners and build the temple,
of the giving and life-giving will of the Father,
free me now from all unclean deeds,
which are not pleasing for our dwelling place.
Do not extinguish the light of grace
in us and in our minds’ eye,
for we have learned that you will join us,
through prayer and sumptuous incensing.
One of the Trinity is sacrificed and the other accepts it,
favoring us with the reconciling blood of his first born
so that you might accept our supplications.
Prepare for us honorable lodgings
for the partaking of our heavenly lamb,
that we might eat life-giving manna of the new salvation
and escape the punishments of condemnation.
Our blasphemy shall be purified in the refiner’s fire,
As the prophet told of the live coal in the tongs of offering at the altar.
In all things you spread your mercy through the Son of God.
Also spread the sweetness of the Father,
as you embraced the prodigal son with fatherly inheritance,
and led the prostitute to the bliss of the heavenly kingdom.

Yes, yes, and I too am one of them.
Receive me with them,
as one who is needy of your great love for mankind,
one who lives only by your grace, redeemed by the blood of Christ,
so that your divinity might be revealed and in all ways glorified.
You are honored equally with the Father,
with one will and one rule, worthy of praise.
For yours is compassion, ability and loving-kindness,
might and glory forever and ever.
Amen.

—St. Gregory of Narek, Book of Lamentations, Prayer 33, F-H, Transl. by Thomas J. Samuelian

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2007, 12:51:29 AM »

Another prayer of St. Gregory of Nareg:

Beneficent, almighty, awe-inspiring God,
good Father, charitable donor of mercy,
whose very name heralds the good news of
your grandeur, compassion and fatherly affection,
you are gentle even toward the bitter and discontented.

With you also is your Son, who is like you,
whose hand is strong like yours,
whose awesome reign is eternal like yours,
whose exaltation is shared with you in your creation.

So too the Holy Spirit of your truth,
that flows from you without end,
the perfect essence of existence
and eternal being, is equal to you
in all things, reigning with the Son
in equal glory.
Three persons, one mystery,
separate faces, unique and distinct,
made one by their congruence
and being of the same holy substance and nature,
unconfused and undivided,
one in will and one in action.
One is not greater, one is not lesser,
not even by an eyelash, and because
of the unobscurable light of heavenly love
revealed in our midst both have been
glorified with a single crown of holiness
from before the ages.

From prayer 13 of the Book of Lamentations

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php?parent_id=14&type=2&type_1=none

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 01:10:58 AM »

St. Nerses Shnorhali (12th century) wrote this prayer with 24 verses.  The story I heard is that he wrote it for soldiers to recite as they stood guard.  He gave it to the soldiers because he knew that when they were done with their service they would bring the prayers home to their families and villages.  To this day it remains one of the most beloved prayers and one of the most recited by Armenians in their personal prayer rules. 

I confess with faith and worship Thee, O Father, Son and Holy Spirit, uncreate and immortal Nature, Creator of angels, men and all beings. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

I confess with faith and worship Thee, O Light invisible, unified Holy Trinity and one Godhead, Creator of light and dispeller of darkness. Dispel from my soul the darkness of sin and ignorance, and enlighten my mind at this hour, that I may pray to Thee in accord with Thy will and receive from Thee the fulfillment of my supplications. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Heavenly father, true God, who didst send Thy beloved Son to seek the wandering sheep, I have sinned against heaven and before Thee. Receive me as the prodigal son and clothe me with the garment of innocence of which I was deprived by my sins. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Son of God, true God, who didst descend from the bosom of the Father, didst the flesh of the Holy Virgin Mary for our salvation, who wast crucified and buried, and didst arise from the dead, and didst ascend in glory to the Father, I have sinned against heaven and before Thee. Remember me, as Thou didst the robber, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Spirit of God, true God, who didst descend on to the River Jordan and the Upper Chamber, and illumine me by the baptism of the holy font, I have sinned against heaven and before Thee. Cleanse me again with Thy divine fire as Thou didst purify the holy apostles with fiery tongues. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Uncreate Nature, I have sinned against Thee with my mind, soul and body. Remember not my former transgressions for the sake of Thy holy name. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Beholder of all, I have sinned against Thee in thought, word and deed. Wipe out the record of my offences and inscribe my name in the Book of Life. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Searcher of secrets, I have sinned against Thee willfully and inadvertently, knowingly and ignorantly. Grant forgiveness to this sinner. For since my birth at the holy font until this day I have sinned before Thy Godhead with my senses and all the members of my body. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

All-caring Lord, place Thy holy fear as a guard before my eyes, that they may no more look at unclean things, before my ears, that they may not delight in hearing evil words, before my mouth, that it may speak no falsehood, before my heart, that it may think no evil, before my hands, that they may do no injustice, before my feet, that they may not walk in the paths of iniquity, but so direct them that they may always follow Thy commandments. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

O Christ, who art the Living Fire, inflame my soul with the fire of Thy love, which Thou didst send forth, upon the Earth, that it may burn the impurities of my soul, cleanse my conscience and purge the sins of my body, and kindle in my heart the light of Thy knowledge. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

O Jesus, wisdom of the Father, give me wisdom that I may always think, speak and do that which is good in Thy sight. Save me from evil thoughts, words and deeds. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Benevolent Lord, who fulfillest all desires, let me not follow the inclinations of my heart, but lead me to live always in accord with Thy beneficent will. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Heavenly king, grant me Thy kingdom which Thou hast promised to Thy beloved. Strengthen my heart to hate sin and to love Thee only, and to do Thy will. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Protector of Thy creatures, with the sign of the cross protect my soul and body from the delusions of sin, the temptations of the devil, unjust men and all perils of soul and body. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

O Christ, Guardian of all, let Thy right hand overshadow me, by day and night, at home and abroad, while asleep or awake, that I may never be disturbed. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

O my God, who openest Thy hand and fillest all Thy creatures with Thy mercy, I surrender myself unto Thee. Do Thou care for me and henceforth provide for the needs of my body and soul for evermore. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Thou who bringest back the wanderers, turn me from my evil ways to good ones, and imprint upon my soul the recollection of the terrible day of death, the fear of hell, and the love of Thy kingdom, that I may repent of my sins, and behave righteously. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Fountain of immortality, let tears of repentance flow from my heart, like those of the adulteress, that I may wash away the sins of my soul before I depart from this world. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Bestower of mercy, grant that I may come to Thee with orthodox faith, good works, and with the communion of Thy Holy Body and Blood. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Beneficent Lord, commend me to a kind angel, that I may deliver up my soul in peace sweetly, and pass through undisturbed by the malice of evil spirits that are under the heavens. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

O Christ, True Light, make my soul worthy of beholding joyfully the light of Thy Glory and to rest hopefully in the abode of the righteous, until the day of Thy glorious coming. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Righteous Judge, when Thou comest in the glory of the Father to judge the living and the dead, enter not into judgment with Thy servant, but deliver me from the eternal fire, and make me worthy of hearing the blissful call of the righteous to enter your heavenly kingdom. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

All-merciful Lord, have mercy upon all Thy faithful, my relatives and strangers, those I know and those I know not, the living and the dead. Forgive also my enemies and those who hate me, and the trespasses they have committed against me. Turn them away from the malice they bear towards me, that they may be worthy of Thy mercy. Have mercy upon Thy creatures and upon me, a manifold sinner.

Glorified Lord, accept the supplications of Thy servant, and graciously fulfill my petitions, through the intercession of the Holy Mother of God, John the Baptist, St. Stephen the first martyr, St. Gregory our Illuminator, the holy apostles, prophets, divines, martyrs, patriarchs, hermits, virgins, and all your saints in heaven and on earth. And unto Thee, O indivisible Holy Trinity, be glory and worship for ever and ever, Amen.

http://www.armeniangate.com/2/Spiritual/Confession.html

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 08:03:31 PM »

I thought this prayer would be particularly helpful to those of us who are still in our years of study, and also generally helpful to all of us in our capacity as students of the Church struggling in our pursuit to learn her way; the way of the Fathers; the way of Wisdom and Salvation.

Student’s Prayer

Inscrutable Creator, Lord Jesus Christ,
you are the source of light and truth,
enlighten my mind and dispel from me
the cloud of ignorance.
You give us, your children, the ability
to speak. Cultivate my tongue and
fill my mouth with the gifts of
your blessings.
Give me the ability to understand,
the capacity to receive,
the wisdom to interpret,
the ease to study and
to express myself gracefully.
Adorn my soul,
guide my work
and bless my life.
Amen.

[I copied this prayer from an Armenian Orthodox website; it was one of the few prayers that were presented without any reference to an original source. Maybe Salpy can help us find out more about the source of these blessed words of the Spirit.]
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 09:24:48 PM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 09:08:09 PM »

I've never seen this useful prayer before and I don't know who wrote it.  If I find out, I'll post it.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 02:01:24 AM »

Online Coptic Orthodox Book of Hours:

http://agpeya.org/

It's a pretty cool site.  The prayers are beautiful.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2008, 05:46:18 PM »

Another prayer from St. Gregory of Nareg:

Blessed Lord, may you always be wreathed
in incense as in your parable.5

For yours is salvation,
and from you is redemption,
and by your right hand is restoration,
and your finger is fortification.
Your command is justification.
Your mercy is liberation.
Your countenance is illumination.
Your face is exultation.
Your spirit is benefaction.
Your anointing oil is consolation.
A dew drop of your grace is exhilaration.
You give comfort.
You make us forget despair.
You lift away the gloom of grief.
You change the sighs of our heart into laughter.
To you is fitting blessing with praise
in heaven and on earth
from our forefathers and unto all their generations
forever and ever.
Amen

Taken from prayer 9 of the Book of Lamentations

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php?parent_id=10&type=2&type_1=none

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 09:53:35 AM »

Another morning prayer/hymn by St Nerses the Gracious (he must have really loved mornings!):

O DAY-SPRING, Sun of righteousness, shine forth with light for me !
Treasure of mercy, let my soul thy hidden riches see!

Thou before whom the thoughts of men lie open in thy sight,
Unto my soul, now dark and dim, grant thoughts that shine with light!

O Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, Almighty One in Three,
Care-taker of all creatures, have pity upon me!

Awake, O Lord, awake to help, with grace and power divine;
Awaken those who slumber now, like heaven’s host to shine!

O Lord and Saviour, life-giver, unto the dead give life.
And raise up those that have grown weak and stumbled in the strife !

O skilful Pilot! Lamp of light, that burnest bright and clear!
Strength and assurance grant to me, now hid away in fear!

O thou that makest old things new, renew me and adorn;
Rejoice me with salvation, Lord, for which I inly mourn.

Giver of good, unto my sins be thy forgiveness given !
Lead thy disciples, heavenly King, unto the flocks of heaven!

Defeat the evil husbandman that soweth tares and weeds;
Wither and kill in me the fruits of all his evil seeds!

O Lord, grant water to my eyes, that they may shed warm tears
To cleanse and wash away the sin that in my soul appears!

On me now hid in shadow deep, shine forth, O glory bright!
Sweet juice, quench thou my soul’s keen thirst! Show me the path of light!

Jesus, whose name is love, with love crush thou my, stony heart;
Bedew my spirit with thy blood, and bid my griefs depart!

O thou that even in fancy art so sweet, Lord Jesus Christ,
Grant that with thy reality my soul may be sufficed !

When thou shalt come again to earth, and all thy glory see,
Upon that dread and awful day, O Christ, remember me!

Thou that redeemest men from sin, O Saviour, I implore,
Redeem him who now praises thee, to praise thee evermore!

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 01:13:11 AM »

Again, from St. Gregory of Nareg:

God and Lord, life and creator,
merciful, compassionate, light,
long-suffering, God who bears no grudges,
all-merciful, generous God who loves mankind,
savior, blessed, praised, glorified,
storehouse of steadfastness, bulwark of faith,
good without guile,
radiance without darkness,
pardoner of sins,
healer of wounds,
creator of unknowable mysteries,
the most approachable of the unreachables,
refuge from despair,
your name is proclaimed, God the Son,
and your Father’s with you,
mighty and awesome,
and your almighty Holy Spirit
worshiped with you,
glory and thanksgiving forever.
Amen

Prayer 89 of his Book of Lamentations

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php?parent_id=90&type=2&type_1=none

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »

Coptic vesper and matins prayer sung during Pentecost:

The apostles were gathered, on the day of the Pentecost, in the upper room of Zion, after the Resurrection.

+ The Spirit of comfort, that descended from heaven, rested upon each one, of the holy Apostles.

They spoke in many tongues, in tongues of fire, and they divided the whole earth, everyone to his country.

+ They spoke to all nations, in the faith of Christ, and performed wonders and signs, and miracles before the kings.

Alleluia Alleluia, Alleluia Alleluia, Christ ascended to the heavens, and sent to us the Paraclete.

+ This is He who is worthy of glory, with His good Father, and the Holy Spirit, both now and forever.

http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/412

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 02:05:09 AM »

From St. Gregory of Nareg's Book of Lamentations, prayer 77D:

O, sweet Lord,
forbearing doer of good, merciful and compassionate,
Lord of all, who for the sake of infirm and unruly
servants like me submitted to everything willingly
according to your plan
together with your perfectly human body,
submitted even to the sleepy tomb of the sepulchre,
who lack nothing of divine perfection, being identical with
God who is beyond human understanding,
yet bore human indignity with patience beyond words,
you rose with your body, alive and of your own power,
in exalted light, with undiminished humanity
and flawless divinity.
You are blessed for your glory
praised for your compassion,
and always exalted for your mercy,
forever and ever.
Amen.

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php?id=78&parent_id=78#d

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 04:06:59 PM »

This is a beautiful Theotokeia from the Coptic Church:

First Part:

The crown of our pride, the head of our salvation, the confirmation of our purity, is the Virgin Mary.

+ Who for us gave birth to, God the Word, who became man, for our salvation.

And after He became man, He is also God, wherefore she gave birth to Him, while a Virgin.

+ Exalted is the wonder, of her pregnancy, and her delivery, is unutterable.

For of His own will, and the pleasure of His Father, and the Holy Spirit, He came and saved us.

Second Part:

+ Great is the glory, of your virginity, O Virgin Mary, the perfect one.

You have found grace, and the Lord is with you, you are the ladder, which Jacob saw.

+ Set firmly on the earth, reaching to heaven, where the angels, come down upon it.

You are the bush, which Moses has seen, flaming with fire, and was not consumed.

+ This is the Son of God, who dwelt in your womb, the fire of His divinity, did not consume your body.

You are the field, that was not planted, but you did give, the fruit of life.

+ You are the treasure, that Joseph bought, and he found the pearl, hidden in its midst.

Our Savior Jesus, was found in your womb, you gave birth to Him for the world, so He might save us.

+ For of His own will, and the pleasure of His Father, and the Holy Spirit, He came and saved us.

Third Part:

Hail to the Mother of God, the rejoicing of angels, hail to the chaste one, the preaching of the prophets.

+ Hail to you who has found grace, the Lord is with you, hail to you who accepted, the joy of the world.

Hail to her who gave birth, to the Creator of all, hail to her who is worthy to be called, the Mother of Christ.

+ Hail to you who brought, salvation to Adam and Eve, hail to her who nursed, the Provider of everyone.

Hail to the saint, the mother of all the living, you are the one we entreat to, intercede for us.

+ For of His own will, and the pleasure of His Father, and the Holy Spirit, He came and saved us.

Fourth Part:

If someone contemplates, about you, O holy Virgin, and Mother of God.

+ And about the mystery, full of wonder, which dwelt in you, for our salvation.

He would keep silent, for he cannot utter, he would make us, rise up for praise.

+ Because of the greatness, of the wonderful, Maker of all things.

For the living Word, of God the Father, came down to give the Law, on mount Sinai.

+ He covered the peak, of the mountain, with smoke darkness and mist, and with storms.

Through the sound, of the trumpets, He was teaching, the people standing with fear.

+ He also descended on you, O speaking mountain, that spoke with humility, and love of mankind.

And likewise, He took flesh from you, without alteration, a speaking body.

+ Coessential with us, and perfect, and also has, a rational soul.

He remained God, as He is, and became, a perfect man.

+ So as to abolish, the iniquity of Adam, and that He may save, those who perished.

And to make him a citizen, of heaven, and restore his leadership, according to His great mercy.

Fifth Part:

The honor of the Virgin, is unutterable, for God desired her, and came and dwelt in her.

+ He who abides in light, that is unapproachable, dwelt in her womb, for nine months.

Mary gave birth to, the Invisible, and infinite One, and remained a Virgin.

+ For this is the rock, which Daniel saw, which was cut, from a mountain.

The hands of men, never touched Him, for He is the Word, of the Father.

+ He came and took flesh, from the Virgin, without the seed of man, in order to save us.

For of His own will, and the pleasure of His Father, and the Holy Spirit, He came and saved us.

Sixth Part:

+ You became a branch, of purity, and a vessel, of the faith.

Of the Orthodox, our holy fathers, O chaste Mother of God, the honored Virgin.

+ For you gave birth for us, God the Word, our Savior Jesus, He came and saved us.

Seventh Part:

+ You are the Mother of Light, the honored Mother of God, you have carried, the uncircumscript Logos.

After you gave birth to Him, you remained a Virgin, with hymns and blessings, we magnify you.

http://tasbeha.org/hymn_library/view/467
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:11:46 PM by Salpy » Logged

DanM

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 11:15:09 AM »

From a Syrian prayer book:

O God, Creator of the morning:  you scatter darkness and bring light and joy to your creation.  Create in us habits of virtue and swcatter the darkness of our sin.  Give us light and joy by the glorious radiance of your grace, O Lord our God, forever and ever.  Amen.

Other prayers can be found at http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/SimplePrayer/index.html.

See Bar-Hebraeus on prayer at http://www.truetheosis.org/bar_prayer.html (ch. VI).  I wish I had read him when I converted. 

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2008, 12:36:47 AM »

At the above website I found the following compline prayer attributed to St. Ephrem the Syrian, used in the Syriac Orthodox Compline service:

The Hymn of Mor Ephrem the Syrian

Lord have mercy upon us
Kindly accept our prayers
Grant us mercy, redemption
From Thy treasury above.

Let me Lord, before Thee stand,
Wakeful my watch I'd keep,
Should I fall to slumber's hand,
Guard me from my sinful sleep.

If I do wrong while awake
Mercifully absolve me;
If I err in my sleep
In mercy, grant redemption.

By Thy cross + of submission
Grant me, Lord, a restful sleep,
Forbid vain and evil dreams
O my Lord, from Thy servant.

Through the night conduct me, Lord,
Peaceful sleep give Thou to me,
Wroth and foul thoughts O Lord
May not govern me at all.

O Lord, Thy servant I am
Guard my body while I sleep
Keep Thy bright angel's guard
O my Lord, by my side.

Christ Thy life-abiding
Holy body that I ate
Keep away from my heart
Evil desires that destroy.

While I sleep in this night
May Thy holy blood guard me
Be Thou always redeemer
For I am Th-ine image.

Thy hand shaped me, O Lord
Shadow me with Thy right hand,
Let Thy mercy be a fortress
Shielding me-all around.

While my body silent lies,
May Thy power keep vigil;
Let my sleep in Thy presence
Be like the rising incense.

Thy mother who did bear Thee
By her prayers for me Lord
Let not evil touch my bed,
While I slumber in this night.

By Thy pleasing sacrifice
That absolved me from my distress
Forbid from me the wicked one
That keeps troubling me.

By Thy kindness O my Lord
Thy promise in me fulfilled
By Thy Holy Cross + O Lord
Protect my life perfect.

Thou who pleased in me
Feeble and sinful servant I am
May I praise Thy mercy,
When I wake up from my sleep.

May Thy servant know Thy will
In Thy true loving kindness
Grant me O Lord Thy mercy
So that I may walk with Thee.

Jesus Christ, O my Lord
Grant to us Thy servants
An evening filled with peace
And a night of graceful sleep.

True light Thou art O Lord
Praise we Thy bright glory
We children of Thy light
Praise Thee for ever more.

O savior of mankind
Thy servants praise Thy mercy
As we do in this world
May it be in heaven above.

Praise to Thee, O my Lord
Praise to Thee, O my savior
Praise a thousand thousand fold
Praise we Thou O Jesus Christ.

Thou who does receive our prayers
Thou who grants supplications
Heed Thy servants' prayers
Kindly grant our petitions.

Kyrie eleison. Kyrie eleison. Kyrie eleison.

http://sor.cua.edu/Liturgy/SimplePrayer/BedTime.html

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2008, 02:02:45 AM »

From St. Gregory of Nareg again, Prayer 36 from his Book of Lamentations:

A

No matter how great the mounting debt of my sins,
the saving grace of your trials
is greater by far.
You were nailed to the cross, the instrument of death,
on your all-embracing creative hands, which
hold all souls,1
so my disobedient hand might be stilled.
Out of compassion for my wantonness,
you bound the motion of your two life-giving feet,
so they might be pawned for my miserable feet,
always racing toward brutishness.

B

You did not order the hands of those who beat
your head to shrivel.2
You, who could uproot the fig tree without effort.
This example gives me hope of reprieve.
You did not threaten me with the evil whipping
that was your own lot,
though you are proclaimed God.3
You who darkened the sun4
and grant rest with goodness to me a mortal.
You did not dry the evil mouth of those who cursed you,
you who tinted the image of the moon with
the color of blood,
so you might strengthen my meek tongue to praise you.
You did not rebuke the wanton insultors,
you who shook the very firmament,
so you might anoint my miserable head with
the oil of compassion.

You did not rip the jaws of the God-killer who called you a fanatic, charlatan,5
you who rent the hardness of the rocky tomb,6
so you might mercifully grant my soul,
though it is incapable of goodness,
a respite from the burden of emptiness.

You did not run the swords of the guards through
their bowels,7
you who condemned the snake to slither on the ground,8
so you might preserve the bones of my tormented body,
to be worthy of resurrection.

You flatten and thrust into the abyss,
those who sealed the tomb upon the bearer of life,
in order that you might rest the token of your light
in the tomb of my soul.

You did not absolutely and for all generations
strike down
those who rumored your hand perished and
your body stolen like that of a mortal,
so you might permit me, insignificant as I am,
to partake of that goodness which neither perishes nor can be harmed,
together with those chosen for salvation.

You did not turn into stone, as with Moab in
days of old,9
your frenzied persecutors who twice stole silver bribes
from the offerings in your Father’s sanctuary
to betray and degrade you,10
so that you might set me upon the steadfastness
of your rock.11
Although I waver and am sold to the powers of death,
I am redeemed by your blood.
You are blessed twice over and blessed again,
praised in all things, forever and ever.
Amen.

http://www.stgregoryofnarek.am/book.php?lang=eng&parent_id=37&id=37&found=shrivel

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2008, 12:00:11 AM »

Prayer 93 from St. Gregory of Nareg's Book of Lamentations, which is really about the Holy Chrism:

Prayer 93

A Prayer of Instruction on the Holy Chrism,
the light-giving oil of consecration

A

Holy, awe-inspiring name, too sublime to utter,
ever desired object of our yearning,
praised without end by the glorious seraphim,1
who sing, “Holy, Holy, Holy,”
to you who dwell in the Holy of Holies,
who are filled with bountiful goodness,
you pour forth generously and without end,
awesome and incomprehensible.
You are all and are in all.2
With these words, as my contract of hope,
may I enter into a covenant with you, Almighty?
Yes, amen, alleluia!3
venerated king of the universe,
God of all, creator of beings and sovereign Lord,
sole cause of all consequences,4
forever adored, Savior and Christ, the anointed Messiah.

B

The meaning of this priceless treasure and
irreplaceable wealth
is given to us by your very name,
Jesus Christ heavenly king,
whom the immortal and sublime beings,
with mouths of light and breath of fire,
serve with trembling,
bowing to you on bended knee in thanksgiving,
gladly without mental reservations,5
Creator of all beings visible and invisible.6
You who are and were totally perfect and
lacking nothing, took our nature truly and in its entirety,7
in order to complete it with your perfection.
O blessed and praised Lord,
forever proclaimed for the incomprehensible
sacrifice you made for our salvation,
to you, glory and praise for your goodness,
you, who are exalted beyond words,
sublime and awe-inspiring.
You are the source of grace given through anointing,
a great mystery that miraculously adorns us,8
for through it your light was revealed to us,9

O incomprehensible ray,
boundless dawn,10
sun shining fairly on all,11
star that divides the day in two,12
lamp unto our feet and light upon the path,13
thanks to you we see the meaning of this sacrament
and compose this prayer,
celebrating with angelic singing and jubilation,
with a pure spirit,
venerating with incense fit for our Savior
your generous allotment of gifts, most wise Lord,
through the oil of gladness and spotless belief.14
For the first created man, my forefather, who,
scarcely created, tragically lost the greatest gift,
the breath of eternal life,15
and forever withering in the hands of sin,
became a captive of death.16
He was tied into an undoable knot,
into deadly decadence,
and fell because of the tree of knowledge,
unable to stand, stumbling toward destruction,
expelled from the light,
he was condemned to the darkness of this world.17
But you, compassionate Lord,
always knew your creature
better than he knew himself.
In pursuit of the divine knowledge he could not have,
he lost the innocence he had,
thereby becoming unable to look upon
your sublimity which dwells in unapproachable light,18
O infinite God.

For this reason you did not reveal yourself
in an ever radiant light that does not wane,
but only as an aid against the terrors of the night,
when the feet stumble.
You gave the oil, and in this oil you placed a wick,
which exemplifies your union, without imperfection, with our condition,
formed and woven with your love of mankind,
so that we, who find ourselves banished, in the
shadow of death,
because of the first transgressions against the tree,19
through the fruit of the tree akin to it,20
might be enlightened with the flame of faith
and restored to that former blessed state.
And also by being spread upon the tree of death
you spread us upon it as well,
and thanks to this great mystery21
united us with the tree of life.
C

Now, just as the day is incomplete without night,
so the household is incomplete without the staple oil.
For as ordinary, unconsecrated oil illumines the sight of the physical eyes,
so the oil sanctified and chosen by the mystery of your breath of grace
gives luster to our invisible souls in a glorious,
miraculous way
uniting us with you, Lord who cannot be seen.
For as we believe, that by the washing of the body
in the glow of holy baptismal font
our souls are cleansed,
so when anointed with chrism, that oil of hope,
we believe, without the least doubt,
that we receive through it the Holy Spirit.
And since by your blessed commandment, Lord,
you arranged in advance the pardoning of
those afflicted with sin,
and for those who do not believe in this pardon,22
you performed before their eyes the miracle
of healing as evidence for doubters.
Similarly, this oil of salvation, sanctified with light,
is poured on us to anoint our outer temple,
and enters us in secret and unseen,
whereby the inner man is born again.

D

This physical thing is a superb analogy for you,
for the wise maidens who bore the oil
received the benefit of your mercy,23
and in praise you defined yourself as merciful, saying:
“I am merciful, said the Lord.” 24
As your name is synonymous with love, O God,25
so in part your mercy and love are manifested
by coming down to be reimprinted upon our nature
according to the divine plan of salvation.
The sacrificial fat is a fitting analogy for a great
and sublime mystery,26
for as the fat is to the animal,
so the oil is to the plant – its heavy, earthen part.
And as you commanded in the Old Law
that this part of the animal should not be eaten,
but should be offered as a sacrifice to you, O Creator,27
so under the New Testament,
this oil is a potent offering ceremonially given
for your favor, fitting only for you Lord,
the God who is,
as the true travel-mate of my soul,
to be kept and pledged to you, Creator.

For neither the lifeblood nor the savor of the burning
fat,28 which are the symbols of the soul and strength,
are burnt to ashes with the meat of sacrifice,
but are the portion offered before your throne
in the heavenly kingdom, O Lord,
so this light-giving substance
may always burn bright and inextinguishable.

E

The first-born male could not preside as a judge
unless he was anointed,
nor could the clergy set foot in the Holy of Holies,
unless he were ordained and consecrated with oil29
Jacob poured oil upon the stone on which he slept,30
thus consecrating the distant archetype of
the altar of God.
This pouring out moreover symbolized your descent
on that splendid ladder, O God exalted beyond words,
to take me up on my heavenly journey.
And for this reason, he erected and anointed a monument
to remind later generations.
The splendor of Aaron’s priesthood
was fulfilled by anointing him
according to your commandment, great God31
In the words of the Psalmist,32
when oil poured down over his head and beard,
he was miraculously transformed,
regaining the original glory of Adam,
and receiving your life-giving Holy Grace through union with our nature.
The kings of this world would have no legitimacy,
as the image of your creatorship on earth,
were it not for their consecration with a horn
filled with oil,33 and the placing of the crowns upon their
heads in your name, Christ.
And how could I forget the first among these sublime
figures, Melchisedek, the servant of your greatness and
your image beyond understanding?
Is it possible that Melchisedek
the symbol of your awesome truth,
on the Mount of Olives,34
where later your feet, God incarnate, walked,
can it be possible he was not anointed by the fruits of this
place by the angels on high?.35
Thus he was invested by you
to guard the tomb of our forefather Adam36
in princely episcopal honor,
until you appeared, Lord,
the true priest fully revealed,
the regeneration and regenerator of Adam.

F

Since yours is grace,
and to you is befitting thanksgiving,
O blessed Son of God,
may you yourself place the seal of your blessed image
upon these prayers, imbued with the oil of humble love,
the incense of adoration
and the myrrh of repentance
that they may bring glory for you
and healing for me, a wretched sinner.
Apply, Lord Jesus, this oil of light to my invisible sores,37
and on the cauterized parts of these deadly wounds,
put a drop of the blessed oil of your salvation
with the ever sweet wine of your love,
bound by you with the protective bandages of your care,
so that this testament, my explanatory discourse in prayer,
might be endowed with fitting dignity,
under the wings of your Holy Spirit.

Your Spirit, O exalted God, came upon David,
only after the day he was consecrated and anointed.38
Saul became a different man and joined the
band of prophets, when the anointing oil
descended upon his head.39
The Assyrian Empire was conquered and taken captive
by the anointed and joined to the house of Israel.40
Certain illustrious rulers, great and prominent
among the uncouth and barbarous nations,
upon whom was sprinkled the dew of this
life-giving oil, were caught as if in a trap,
joining your family in service to you, great God.41
The heavenly word, spoken through the prophets,
calling Cyrus, chosen of God,
also honored him by referring to him as
“the Anointed One.”42
The Psalmist esteemed the title, “anointed”
greater than that of “prophet,” first stating the
prohibition, “Do not approach the anointed.”
and then adding, “and do not harm the prophets.”43
The divine mission entrusted to Elijah on Mount Horeb,
which marked the end of the pagan cult of Baal,
was the anointing Jehu and Hazael.44
Your name, O bridegroom, the Christ,
“the oil poured out,”45
is witnessed long ago by the inspired
words of the sage.
In this way, the Spirit, the eternal image and sign of God,
might imprint your great image on this small drop of oil
that we may be united with you, receiving your grace.

G

Why do I belabor this point
with images and farfetched analogies
in long, complicated, poetic prayers to you,
O exalted and awesome Lord
O Lord and giver of life,
O creator of heaven and earth?
You began to preach the good news of your kingdom,46
only after you were anointed and proclaimed by
John the Baptist as the Anointed One and “Lamb of God,
who takes away the sins of the world.”47
Although the Holy Spirit was always in you with its
complete essence, and your perfect union of divinity
with humanity was an anointing in itself,
the word, anointed, when applied to the saints
describes the miraculous grace acting upon them,
and through this word you prepare the servile
flesh of Adam to be eternally ennobled.
Opening the book of the prophet Isaiah,
you read about yourself, O incarnate divinity,
and in fulfillment of the words of your servants, O Lord,
revealed yourself as the anointed,
through the prophetic words:
       “the Spirit of the Lord is upon me,
       because he has anointed me.”48
Then you closed the book,
thereby showing the great difference in degree
between these two anointings, ours and yours,
and defined the great distance between them:
ours is a bit of luster from a drop of grace,
and yours is the revelation of your divine essence
shared equally with your Father and your Holy Spirit.
When you first made your incarnation known
at your birth, the angels in high praise proclaimed you
the Anointed One by which name you became known to all the creatures of earth.49
The Prophet foretold the descent
of your Father’s voice from the heavens
at the River Jordan and on the chosen Mount Tabor,50
saying “He proclaims among the people his
       Anointed One.”51
And the Psalmist also foretold your glory, Almighty,
and of the honor bestowed by consecrating the human
nature you have assumed, “God, your God has anointed
you with the oil of gladness.”52

H

“The breath of our face,” Lord Christ,53
your name is truly, “the Anointed One,”
for in your goodness, you gave our souls
the breath of life54 and light of your countenance.55
The wise words of one favored by God56
proclaimed your love for mankind,
while telling of a certain prophet:57
“He shall testify before the Lord and his anointed,”58
and confirmed the good news, saying:59
“I have not taken so much as a pair of sandals
from any man.”60

In praise of Christ’s bride, the holy church,
the Song of Songs, from beginning to end,
explains the divine mystery,
comparing incarnation to spiced wine61
and virtue to myrrh mixed with choice oil62
and perfect morals to a sweet perfume of
myrrh and incense mixed with delicious powders.63
When Daniel described in words that seemed
beyond human expression your life-giving death,
Christ King of heaven, he predicted “the anointed one
will be killed in sixty-nine weeks,”
calling you the anointed leader.64
The lamp stand of Zechariah, son of Berechiah
and grandson of Iddo,65
through its ingenious system of oil supply
to the seven lamps, keeping them constantly lit,
symbolizes the anointing and salvation
poured from your bounty upon us.
And according to the Old Law of prophecy,
cereal offerings of round loafs of unleaven bread
of fine flour mixed with the oil66
and peace offering of the anointed calf,67
the portion called the Lord’s, and
purification sacrifice performed with two birds,
the living one dipped in the blood of the other,68
as if with anointing oil,
all were performed at your altar in the temple.
All these are manifestations of the mystery,
all are signs relating to you,
only begotten Son, blessed of great God.
You alone are anointed in a new and marvelous way,
in and through yourself, with your whole essence,
perfectly and lacking absolutely nothing.

I

But does it make sense to multiply examples of
this great, inexplicable mystery?
To understand, we must taste you, sweet Lord,69
and learn through you
the true meaning of the oil
for what is it, if not
the gladness praised by the Psalmist70
that you grant by curing the grief
of the tree of our transgression?
What is it, if not the rich, fullness of heart,
by which you make us forget the food of death?
What, if not the anointing, that transforms our ashen
wretchedness into the brightness of perpetual good
cheer,71 that through the salvation of your name,
O Spirit of Might, we might become the
children of God? 72
What, if not the cure that is the fervent desire of the
prophet’s heart, that is, to be anointed in his old age
with rich oil73 that he might be anointed upon
his head with oil74
by which with the help of your protecting hand,
we are saved from the tragedy of the fall,75
       which brings death.
What, if not the thanks
expressed for the lamp76
that shed light on the fog of sin and the darkness
of idolatry, your union in my nature to
       become in me, Emmanuel?77
What, if not the consolation prophesied by the prophet
of gladdening blessings as a sign saying:
“They will be anointed with oil free of impurities.”78

Or when the wiseman in the name of bride, says to the
maids of honor, “Sustain me with oil,
shower me in apples,” 79
and “Keep me in the embrace of the
sweet balsam orchard,” 80
referring to that fine substance, filled with your Spirit,
whose light enables us to see
your finer, higher, ungraspable element, praised Lord.

And now, our only provider and
cause of all good things,
listen with compassion, Lord,
to the supplications I call to you,
with my arms lifted up in prayer,
bolstered from within,
with the sighs of my heart,
with the cries of my tongue and lips.
Expressing thanks through these offerings,
I offer up my gratitude to you,
almighty, awesome, exalted, incomprehensible,
forever embraced in unending love,
constantly praised with the chant,
Holy, Holy, only and always Holy,81
blessed forever.
Out of your great goodness,
grant me yet more help,
for I am completely lost.
Give me hope of sweetness,
though I am not worthy of the least drop of your light,
so that I might understand through you, good Lord,
the subtle secret of this mystery.
and mix thanks with my prayer,
saying with David,
“We have received your mercy, Lord,” 82
and “your hidden and invisible secrets,
you have revealed through your wisdom.”83

J

And now, majesty to you, God almighty,
whose generosity never ceases,
whose compassion streams in all directions,
who is always ready in healing,
because you merged and mixed
your splendid miracles, awe-inspiring beyond telling,
into such a common and familiar material.
For that force which the heavens in their height,
and the earth in its breadth,
and the abyss in its depth,
and the seas in their multitude
could not hold, you fit in this small drop of oil,
a mere speck, compared with your immensity,
truly and not just in appearance,
so that when it performs a new miracle,
unrelated to its nature,
it does not appear to be some kind of
illusion to onlookers.
Instead it heals the doubting souls
rather than wounding them.
Just as out of the flour of wheat,
blessed Son of God, you made your body,
in reality and not in semblance,
and out of the wine of the grape
the blood of your side,
and out of the bountiful water,
the womb of spiritual birth,
so you also bestowed on us, as you did upon
your disciples, the immortal breath of your Holy Spirit84
through and in this oil.
For the people who walked in darkness85
you brought the dawn through your incarnation,
and through your labors you gave birth to new life.
You placed a seal upon them
that cannot be effaced even by idolatry,
just as no one can follow your example
to further consecrate the wood of the cross, Lord.
For by this mark of grace
you brought light to the world,
manifesting yourself in your perfect fullness,
beyond understanding,
in such a way, that the poor shall not want
and the rich shall not take on airs,
for like the air is distributed
and the sunlight is spread
and the stream waters flow
equally to all, just as the manna was equally
distributed to all people on earth alike,86
with more for the poor than the rich and powerful.
K

The deep mystery of this substance is
marvelously explained by its very nature,
for it does not shift around constantly
as if it cannot make up its mind,87
nor does it steal away from its place of rest,88
nor can it be removed by the strongest soap,
nor is it washed away by any other kind of liquid.
And just as color is a necessary and permanent attribute
of physical existence,
because when there is color, the body exists,
and when there is no color, the body seems not to exist,
in the same way, by virtue of its natural powers,
this oil takes hold and does not let go,
and through it you were united and joined with us,
Lord Jesus Christ,
joining the inner substance with its outward form.
You rendered visible
that which was invisible for the eyes
and incomprehensible for the desires of our hearts,
by providing us this oil,
made by pressing and squeezing fruits of the earth.
Moreover, you did not command that this anointing oil
be prepared by mixing together all manner of flowers
into a strange concoction,
in accordance with the old and benighted law.89
Instead, turning your name into reality,
you mixed yourself into this pure oil,
making it radiant with heavenly light.
And although the savors of your sweetness are
beyond expression and cannot be compared to anything,
although you have variously been referred to as
the flowers of the field or the lilies-of-the-valley,90
exquisite nard or sandalwood mixed with aloe,91
the scent of saffron, the blossoms of the vine or
a fine wine, you, Lord beyond understanding,
deemed it fitting
that your name be glorified simply as “oil poured out,” 92
for you are the consummation of all things
and lacking in nothing.
Thus, not by the mixing of opposing elements,
which at once symbolize a divided will,
but rather in confirmation of our love,
you revel in divine joy,
for our sake, you manifest yourself in all your splendor,
according to our needs,
as the light of goodness
or as a warming fire,
or as the fervor of love,
devoid of any hard-hearted coldness,
in ways to make understandable to our minds
that this drop of oil can really unite us with God.
With Solomon the anointed and adopted of God,
I sing with the mouth of a bride, to you heavenly
bridegroom, a song of praise and thanksgiving,
yearning with the fervent desire of my heart
for your sweet scent, more than for any incense.
In the inspired words of the wiseman93 and the
theological evangelist,94 let us hasten in your footsteps
       and the trace of your scent.95
Like one who has the words of eternal life,96
having washed my face with the water of life,97
which is more exalted than the waters above the
heavenly firmament,98 and having anointed my head
with the heavenly oil of incorruptibility,99
I come before you with joy, cheerfully and
without sadness.
L

This venerated and blessed oil,
would not be an ointment for the chamber of my brain,
or do the hair on my head any good,
were it not sealed with the sign of your
life-giving cross, Lord.

This miraculous oil brings the blessing of the Light to
the Jew and the Gentile,
the Indian and the barbarian,
the Scythian and the Greek,
the cruel savage and the fearsome dog-headed giants,
the freeborn master and the slave by birth,100
making them Christians,
baptizing them in your name,
dedicating them to your Holy Spirit, and
adopting them as the true sons of your Heavenly Father.
See how varied its powers,
first in the physical and then in inner strength.
For as a wooden vessel easily cracks unless it is
rubbed with oil
and becomes useless and worthless,
so a person, if not anointed, is easily led astray,
and separated from you, and
remains unenlightened.101
This oil is your finger, O Jesus,102
with which you perform miracles,
which like unscratchable, impenetrable armor,
covers us with an ever protective cloak,
from dark and foreign marauders.
For one pure as wool, dipped in this oil,103
can neither be stained with blood,
nor fade into somber colors.
Spiritually, this oil enters
and penetrates the very substance of our being.
And if the curse of the Psalmist
could soak the bones of the evildoer like oil,104
how much more will your Spirit
through this oil of light,
heal and make whole
our invisible inner beings,
from our windpipes
to our toes,
completely submerging
any disturbing thought of death.
For your awesome, life-giving power, Lord Christ,
is mixed in this oil and truly dwells in it.

M

Oil, this magnificent substance applied by wrestlers
to their naked bodies, as an enhancement
during tournaments, making it difficult for their
opponents to take hold of them,
sets demons and diseases to flight.
For, in the words Ezekiel addressed to the
spiritual Pharaoh,105 in the form of a satirical allegory:
“On the day you were created,
I placed you with an anointed guardian cherub
amidst the fiery stones of the holy mountain of God.”
O blessed and awesome universal help,
who is always beyond words and beyond understanding,
who is constantly venerated through the gospel of life
as the new-born, anointed one from the city of David,106
and constantly sought as in the question of the
chief priest,
“Are you the Christ, son of the blessed?” 107
and in the blessed proclamation by Peter,
“You are the Christ, the Son of the living God,”108
and by your suspicious interrogators,
“If you are the Christ, tell us plainly.”109
And because of your teachings,
we believe you to be the Christ,
teacher and Lord of all.
And even before this,
Herod directly asked for you by name, O Christ,110
and you yourself answered, “How is it written
that the anointed of God, the Son without beginning,
the one David calls Lord, could be his son in time?”111
And we understand from this as a fitting interpretation,
that the consummation of this mystic calling is
realized in us,who have the honor of being called Christians.112

N

The awesome word “anointing,”
evokes at once trepidation, veneration and
rich adoration, that no earth-dweller dares be called God,
but only godly.
Likewise, no human being has been called the Christ,
but only Christian.
Not even the greatest of the prophets, John the Baptist,113
who by baptizing with water
prepared the way for the baptism with the spirit,
could claim this name,114
for he said, “I am not the Christ, but was sent
before him.”115
In the words of the evangelist Mark,
the disciples set out in pairs,116
and as if acting with the genuine hand of God
they would anoint with oil
and without invoking any other human devices,
they would heal people.
For as darkness yields to the light,
and ailments to health
and night to day
and death to life,
so by virtue of this substance, given by the Lord,
all evil works are rejected, checked, and
completely suppressed.
And just as for flies, spiders and insects that
crawl into the ears,
the oil is a deadly poison that kills them,
so this oil strengthened with the abundant
blessings of grace,
wards off demons, dissolves the mortgage of evil and
tears up the death sentence.
The baptismal font is not complete
unless accompanied by anointing.
To the first man left mortally wounded by brigands,
this salve of salvation was applied,117
and it also served honorably
as ointment for the incurable wounds of
Jacob and Israel.118
David wanted this oil
as a fruitful olive tree in the house of the Lord,
dwelling there always in trust,119
predicting abandonment of circumcision
and adoption of the grace of baptism.
But how can I discourse
convinced that I understand this completely,
especially regarding holiness,
when even the angels cannot explain it in words?
How indeed could I hope to describe its true essence?

O

Glory to you always and in all things,
immortal king, in the praise I now sing,
which you created and perfected through me,
good, caring, merciful and patient,
wealthy and abundant, Lord, triumphant over all.
The idea of anointing sketched by our forefathers,
you made a reality in the fullness of time.
Yu are light in your very nature120
and the ever-shining sun,
and you called your disciples the light of the world,121
for through them you filled the creatures of all the earth
with rays of blissful grace.
You accepted the anointing of your feet with the
oil of sweetness122
as a symbol that our prayers are acceptable to you.
And by the anointing of your head by a
woman of ill-repute,123
you showed your compassionate love for us.
And with such great pleasure, O infinite Lord,
did you inhale the aroma of the oil,
that you ordered as an inviolable commandment
that wherever the gospel is preached
throughout the world
that seemingly insignificant act of anointing
should be remembered,124
to the amazement of your listeners
and raising the hopes of future generations.
“You have been anointed by the Holy One,”
said that most blessed of your disciples,
explaining the mystery poured out upon us
from your overflowing bounty, O source of life.
This drop of blessing from you who are praised on high,
which endlessly innoculates us,
bears a close, fitting and lasting resemblance
to you who are light and to your Holy Spirit.
It is called light,
because it is like the first element of creation,125
and the very symbol of you, our Creator,
by which you drive away the gloomy
darkness of evil.
It is called fire,
because in every element of creation
there is distributed in some measure, your essence,
hidden and manifest, silent and known,
that unless provoked by the devilish adversary,
it will not flare up by itself.
It is also called anointing,
because through it we are adopted
into your majesty
and are offered to your Father as his inheritance126
and marked indelibly with your mercy by this oil, like you, so we might shine brightly in the next life.
It is also called spirit,
because we are cleansed of the calamities of deceit,
cunningly instigated by that troublemaker Satan,
so we might worship our heavenly Father
renewed in soul and with truth,127
nailed to you with faith and hope,
all-giving God.

P

In truth, eternally and in reality,
this oil filled with light is
a venerable proof of your love, God on high.
This is why Paul himself deemed it fitting
to say directly in his teaching on grace and thanksgiving,
“He who establishes us with you in Christ and has
anointed us is God, who has also sealed us and given
us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee,”128
and also, “Do not,” he said, “grieve the
Holy Spirit of God,
by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.”129
“Anointed” is a title honorable and invincible
in the Old Testament, yet more so in the New.
In the words of the Psalm of David,
that predict faithfully the mystery of your providential
suffering, Lord, “The rulers of the people band together against the Lord and his anointed.”130
A great prophecy that imprinted upon the
Jewish throngs the unredeemable sin of
spilling your blood, caused by audacity toward you,
Lord, “Who can put forth his hand against the Lord’s anointed, and be guiltless?”131
For although Saul was killed by one of his own,132
still they were not rejected in shame
or subject to the insults of foreign nations,
until they were implicated in the spilling of
your blood, Lord.
And these pleas in the Psalms are a great pledge,
reminding us of the inheritance of future generations:
“For the sake of your beloved servant David,
you do not turn away the face of your anointed one,”133
and again, “Look upon the face of your anointed”134
and “show steadfast love for your anointed.”135

Q

This light-filled fluid, O Christ,
is the venerated gift of your hand,
for out of all riches in your kingdom,
the Prophet deemed nothing higher, Lord,
than that you would say,
“I have found David, my servant,
and with my holy oil I have anointed him.”136
Thus, by this instructive example,
embracing your anointing with the light, our
Lord Jesus Christ,
you are known to us, unchanging and eternal.137
You are all and in all, the only king of kings,
and the true anointed one among the anointed,
glorified and worshiped yesterday and today.138
For as the wick, soaked in oil, does not give light
until lit with a flame,
so we, who are anointed with the light,
do not glow until we are lit like torches in heaven.
This is a clear explanation of its nature,
transmitted from the ancients till today,
painted in marvelously brilliant colors
through these felicitous analogies.

R

Now, the cause of these sublime, life-giving,
divine effects,
characteristic of you, Creator,
without which one cannot be considered a Christian,
or named a Nazarite,139
or be remembered as a son of Judah,
or raise a battle cry in the name of the Lord of Jacob,140
is this substance, the oil of blessings,
in which your Holy Trinity is mixed and joined:
the ray of grace, the splendor of our forehead,
the image of our face, the comeliness of our traits,
the light of our eyes, the sign of the cross on our pupils,
the tenderness of our cheeks, the decoration of
our countenance,
the guardian of our lips, the attendant of our faith,
the guide of our behavior, the tie that binds,
the strength of souls, the fortitude of resistance,
the barrier to spells, the destroyer of talismans,
the repeller of wizards, the confounder of sorcerers,
the exposer of heretics, the vanquisher of demons,
the dispeller of pain, the fulfiller of the baptized,
the fervent desire of converts, the incomprehensible
mystery of outsiders,
the bewilderment of pagans,141
the envy of non-believers,142
the unmasker of secrets, the honor of the humble,
the glory of slaves, the adornment of women,
the growth of children, the joy of the aged,
the consecrator of the ordained, the counsel of the pure,
the crown of kings, the grandeur of monarchs,
the excellence of emperors.
For as a sealed container indicates the value of
the contents,
so the sublimity of your grace sealed in us
by being anointed in your name, God and
Lord Jesus Christ,
is beautifully symbolized by anointing.
And the name of this substance, muron,
according to the inspired wisemen,
originated with the Egyptians and
expresses its very essence
as an image of an awe-inspiring mystery.
S

For this blessed muron,
which the prophet foreshadowed,
referring in his prayer to the light of his eyes, 143
according to its etymology is derived from homeron, 144
which means mother for me,
that is to say, that which strongly attracts our
nature to itself,
and solidifies through a wonderful transformation,
the fluid water of the font of light,
and like the ingredient that curdles milk into yogurt,
so it stabilizes my untame ravings and
the perpetually flowing stream of my consciousness.
According to another etymology,
the word muron means ‘somber,’
that is, ‘obscure,’
since it refers to something dark, hidden or unseen.145
And this name is not some baseless metaphor,
since this word truly refers to something
that symbolizes a secret deeper than the holy of holies.
For muron does not wash away dirt like water,
or bolster the heart like bread.
Instead in a fittingly new way, with divine providence,
it imprints the Lord on our senses,
nevertheless remaining exalted beyond our
comprehension, thus its name is beyond our understanding.

For as God truly dwells in light that
cannot be approached,146
with your boundless glory in its infinity,
you covered yourself in impenetrable cloud147
externally sealed from our faculties.
In the same way, the flow of light
from the eloquent tongues of some,
in appropriate poetic composition is called obscure,
because worldly natures cannot understand
essential truths.
The holy chrism richly and properly
commands both these divine names,
for the very name chrism resembles the name of our
exalted Lord, Christ, doubly glorifying this oil,
consecrated with fine and fragrant incense.
For “Our God is a consuming fire,”
according to Moses,148 and also,
“the light,” according to John,149
thus Isaiah’s allusion is justified:
“The light of Israel shall become a fire.”150

T

Once again I shall express the same idea
in different words and comparisons,
with renewed praise and blessings,
for I cannot forget my bitterness,
which you sweetened in your great compassion.
For mera, which means ‘bitterness [in Hebrew],’151
appropriately signifies ‘wearisome torment and pain,’
so in Armenian, muron is explained etymologically
as a derivative of merelutyun, that is, ‘mortification.’152
For by being anointed with this spirit-bearing oil,
we are cut off from the vanities of this world,
those vile and deadly excesses of the Adversary,
whose dankness makes my lyre go out of tune,
whose dampness muffles the sound of my drums153
that used to resound strong and bold when struck
but whose soggy wetness drags us down
into the deaf numbness of death.

Yet again through this anointing we are bound with hope
to the miracle of your cross, beyond telling, O Christ,154
for by baptism into your death, O living God,155
we partake in your divine immortality through you
yourself, God, placing complete trust in you,
forever, fully and inseparably.

U

This oil seals us in your name, Jesus,
with a four-pointed mark in the form of your sign,156
conferring grace in glory and dignity to your blood,
O Savior and giver of life,
and crowned with the same invincible glory
this oil is exalted.
It is called the wood-blessing oil,
in the words of the Prophets,157
for when this oil is miraculously applied
to common wood of the forest,
raw material, wild with evil and strange ideas,
becomes the mature equivalent of your cross,
to be offered up to you, O Creator.
Similarly, the windows of our soul, which are
always open, were sealed by you, in the name of your
awesome majesty, with the sign of the cross
in providential modesty,
that we might inhabit a dwelling favored by your
Holy Spirit,158 and might be impervious to the evil
delusions of the trickster
and his dark fog.
Restrained by this light, we gather for the
hymns of thanksgiving at the evening service
with the stars, your heavenly lamps,
symbolic of the light of your grace, the muron,
that burns in us.
And in this light, the oil reminds us of the
salvation of the good, planting this thought in our souls,
making it blossom and bear fruit.159
To make ready for the banquet
on the last night of your Second Coming,160
we use this light like a torch.161

V

Now, if using the numerical value of the
Armenian alphabet,
we take the 24th letter with the value of 400 [n],
and apply it to the profound mystery of the oil,
we come up with an easily digestible explanation
to nourish those hungry for understanding.
For when we multiply twenty times four, we get 80 [dz],
which is the first letter of the word oil [dzet/dzyut]
in Armenian.
And when we substitute the letter 400 [n] for 80 [dz],
we change the word for oil [dzyut] in to the word
for matter [nyut], which symbolizes the new leaven
that miraculously raises up the lump of dough.162
And as the Gospel parable teaches,
though the smaller [80] does not contain the larger [400],
nevertheless it can transform the whole mass and
make it grow, so the anointing oil mixed into
our nature transforms and makes us grow.

W

This gentle oil is a constant reminder
of elevation and humility.
For when eaten in food it goes down soft,
like a balanced and kind word,
but when put on liquids, slippery and unstable,
it rises above them,
showing its glorious excellence and superiority,
symbolizing its miraculous mystery.
And when applied to a leather container,
it is not absorbed like water or wine,
but rather stays on the surface within its proper bounds.
Thus understanding the incomparable excellence of
your goodness,
O Son of the living God,
by virtue of your blood,
we write on our foreheads
with this oil of sacred gifts,
and we imprint the breath of our nature with your
Holy Spirit,
believing with the conviction of our heart
that this oil will forever show forth and shine anew with
brilliant radiance upon the varied and marvelous expanse
like a beacon toward the glory of everlasting life.
And may this spiritual oil,
full of bliss and heavenly glow,
make the sign of your cross
shine upon my face, in your image.163

X

And being incomprehensible, a power too
great for understanding,
even soaring with the swift wings of the mind,
before the pursuit of my thought
flying without trace into infinity,
completely disappeared, hid from me,
and it left no likeness,
resembled no parallel,
was defined by no formula,
and could be measured by no companion,
but rather was spiritually superior to them,
like the sign of your divine cross,
the equal to your blood, O Savior.
And now, Lord, bless us through it and in it.
And by it may your name become our salvation,
O awesome, light, heavenly and marvelous,
venerated with incense by the pure in spirit in praise of
your ineffable glory,
holy, holy, beyond understanding, beyond telling,
exalted, merciful, lauded, true, doer of good and holiness,
Pardon us.164
Grant us healing.
Cloth us in grace.
Endow us with bliss.
By being anointed with this oil, this heavenly
shower of light, may I be found sinless.
Do not let the sorrow of sinful infirmity,
invade and take over this anointed rational
fabric of mine, and commingle with the image of my soul.
For those who present themselves to be anointed
with this oil, let them be like a bride,
as for a glorious wedding,
beautifully arrayed in holy splendor,165
their souls adorned with happiness.
And for those who approach it for purification,
may this light, this glorious fire, given by God,
be a double tempering and second immersion,
with fervent striving for the good,
through which they emerge as if newly created.
And in all ways fully armed with ever-ready
steadfastness, may I dwell upon your unshakeable rock,166
standing firm, my faith grounded in you without any doubt.
For those who are on fire with this gift,
by this sign of victory, may they
not be doused with water,
not be burned by the fire,
not be frozen by the cold,
not be extinguished by the harmful wind,
not be stained by unclean dreams,
not betray Jesus’ own to the Evil One,167
not throw away the accumulated treasures of life
at their moment of exit from this world,
not be outside the protection of your wings,168
not be stripped of our being anointed by unclean living.
But by your grace, may we be set on fire by it,
be filled with it,
be enlightened through it,
be justified by it,
be liberated, crowned and reign by it.169
And to you alone, the only Anointed,
together with your Father and your Holy Spirit,
may all give
hymns of blessing, alleluias in all tongues,
resounding voices, triumphant praise,
lips lauding your goodness,
holy words of the Psalms,
forever and ever.
Amen.

Holy Chrism ("Muron") was recently consecrated by the Armenian Catholicos in Armenia:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,17398.0.html

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2009, 01:16:26 AM »

Just thought i'd note that www.erkohet.com holds translations of various prayers. The two sections on that site to review are: Praxis & Spirituality and Worship.

To date we have:

a) three entries in our progressive 'Selection of Orthodox Arrow Prayers' page.

b) A Prayer for the Youth by Blessed John the Deacon Philosopher.

PoorFoolNicholas
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Theologoumenon

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

These are very nice Ethiopian prayers that I have arranged for English speakers, and I hope they benefit others, as they have benefited me:

Ethiopian Orthodox Mequteria Prayers

In the Ethiopian Orthodox Tradition, the commonly used prayer ropes are those with 41, and 64 beads, also known as a Mequteria. 41 is the number of lashes that Jesus received and 64 is the age of the Theotokos at her Assumption. Some monks and hermits use 150 to 300 beads, or even more than that.

When using the 41 bead Mequteria , the prayers recited are:

1. The Lord's Prayer with Gabriel's Salutation:

Our Father, Who art in Heaven, hallowed be Thy Name. Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one. O, Our Lady Virgin Mary, we hail thee by the salutation of the Angel Gabriel. Thou are virgin in thy mind. Thou are virgin in thy body. Hail Mary, Mother of Almighty God.  Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb. Rejoice Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Pray for us to your beloved Son, Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, so that he may forgive us our sins now and forever Amen." (12 times)

2. Lord have mercy on us (41 times)

3. In the name of Mary, Lord have mercy on us (41 times)

4. Kirya Layson (Kyrie Elieson) (41 times)

5. Sador (the piercing on the ribs by the lancet), Alador (the piercing on the right hand), Danat (the piercing on the left palm), Adera (the piercing on right foot), Rodas (the piercing on the left foot) (41 times)

6. O! God (41 times)

7. O! Christ (41 times)

8. Save us from wrath and deliver us by your mercy, in the name of Mary Your Mother (41 times)

9. Hear us! Our God and Savior (41 times)

10. Elohe! (Pronounced as “Elohee” and is the same as “Eloi” mentioned in Mt. 27:46) (41 times)

11. Ye! Ye! Ye! (Pronounced as “Yae” meaning “woe to me”) My God see me! (41 times)

12. O! God according to your mercy and not according to our sin (12 times)

13. Lord remember us in thy Kingdom (12 times)

14. The Magnificat:

"Hail Mary, we bow unto thee. Our Mother Mary we pray unto thee. We beseech thee to protect us from the evil beast. O! Virgin, in the name of Anna your mother, and Joachim your father, bless our congregation today!! Amen. The prayer of the Blessed Virgin Mary Mother of God: My soul doth magnify the Lord, And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior. For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed. For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name. And his mercy is on them that fear him from generation to generation. He hath shewed strength with his arm; he hath scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He hath put down the mighty from their seats, and exalted them of low degree. He hath filled the hungry with good things; and the rich he hath sent empty away. He hath helped his servant Israel, in remembrance of his mercy; As he spake to our fathers, to Abraham, and to his seed for ever. Amen. (7 times)

These are the 14 common recitations by all those who use the Mequteria. One can, however, add more according to his or her needs or interests. When using a 64 bead Mequteria all the prayers recited 41 times, will instead, be recited 64 times. Those prayers recited 7, or 12 times remain the same.
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:38 AM »

I thought this prayer would be particularly helpful to those of us who are still in our years of study, and also generally helpful to all of us in our capacity as students of the Church struggling in our pursuit to learn her way; the way of the Fathers; the way of Wisdom and Salvation.

Student’s Prayer

Inscrutable Creator, Lord Jesus Christ,
you are the source of light and truth,
enlighten my mind and dispel from me
the cloud of ignorance.
You give us, your children, the ability
to speak. Cultivate my tongue and
fill my mouth with the gifts of
your blessings.
Give me the ability to understand,
the capacity to receive,
the wisdom to interpret,
the ease to study and
to express myself gracefully.
Adorn my soul,
guide my work
and bless my life.
Amen.

[I copied this prayer from an Armenian Orthodox website; it was one of the few prayers that were presented without any reference to an original source. Maybe Salpy can help us find out more about the source of these blessed words of the Spirit.]

The author of this prayer is St Gregory of Tathev.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2009, 08:32:26 PM »

Thank you, vasnTearn, and welcome to the forum!

Pari yegak!  Smiley

vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »

Thank you, vasnTearn, and welcome to the forum!

Pari yegak!  Smiley

Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2009, 01:44:09 AM »

Can my Ethiopian Orthodox brothers give me a prayer to say before meals? I know that it is good to read the Psalms or portions of Scripture out loud during meals, but we are not always able to do this. I would like to know a good prayer for meals that is easy to memorize and that I can teach to my family.

Thank you.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:00 AM »

I have a Syrian and Armenian Orthodox prayer to be recited before meals, but you specifically seek out Ethiopian Orthodox prayers as if they hold some sort of unique value?

Oriental Orthodox unity (on a tangible level that is--I would in no way ever suggest any defect in the underlying substantial unity based on shared Eucharistic communion) will never be truly realised until we can begin to speak and act in a way that demonstrates that we not only acknowledge and respect the traditions unique to other jurisdictions, but that we are willing and even inclined to identify with and incorporate them as our own (without undermining the sense in which we are entrusted to preserve and exercise those traditions unique to the jurisdiction to which we belong).

Had you simply inquired into an Ethiopian Orthodox prayer before meals, I wouldn't have been inclined to formulate the above concern. Such concern is mainly triggered by the sense in which you seem to suggest that your desire "to know a good prayer for meals" is one you implicitly deem only capable of being addressed by "[your] Ethiopian Orthodox brothers."

If you are at all familiar with my website and one of the primary sentiments that drives it, you will understand why the above concern is important to me.

NB: This post was in no way written in a spirit of anger, frustration or rebuke--I only seek to gently caution you to be wary of how you perceive and understand yourself as an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian within the wider OO communion, and the implications of such perception and understanding.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:23:10 AM by EkhristosAnesti » Logged

EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2009, 02:19:39 AM »

Btw, if our Ethiopian Orthodox brothers do indeed have an english translation of a prayer before meals, I would love to read it.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2009, 02:58:41 AM »

I'd love to see the Ethiopian Orthodox prayer before meals also.

It might be kind of nice for us all to post the prayer before meals from all of our traditions.

The prayer before meals in the Armenian tradition is:

"Let us eat in peace this food which the Lord has provided for us.  Blessed is the Lord in His gifts."
(Jashagetsook Khaghaghootyamp uzgeragoorus vor badrasdyal eh mez ee Dyarneh.  Orhnyal eh Der ee barkevus yoor.)

After the meal, you are supposed to pray:

"Let us give thanks and glory to the Nourisher of the universe who nourished and filled us.  Glory to Him forever."
(Kohootyoon yev pars datsook Geragrogheen deeyezerats, vor uzmez geragreyats yev leeyatsooyts.  Nma park haveedyants.)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 02:59:35 AM by Salpy » Logged

Aidan

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »

From Archimandrite Lazarus translated prayer before evening meal;

The poor shall eat and be satisfied and those who seek the Lord shall praise Him; their hearts shall live for ever.
Glory...now...
Lord, have mercy (Thrice)
Christ God, bless the food and drink of Thy servants, for Thou art holy, always, now and ever, and to the ages of ages.

After the evening meal;

Glory...now...
Lord, have mercy (Thrice)
God is with us by His grace and love for man, always, now and ever, and to the ages of ages.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 08:22:21 PM »

I have a Syrian and Armenian Orthodox prayer to be recited before meals, but you specifically seek out Ethiopian Orthodox prayers as if they hold some sort of unique value?

Oriental Orthodox unity (on a tangible level that is--I would in no way ever suggest any defect in the underlying substantial unity based on shared Eucharistic communion) will never be truly realised until we can begin to speak and act in a way that demonstrates that we not only acknowledge and respect the traditions unique to other jurisdictions, but that we are willing and even inclined to identify with and incorporate them as our own (without undermining the sense in which we are entrusted to preserve and exercise those traditions unique to the jurisdiction to which we belong).

Had you simply inquired into an Ethiopian Orthodox prayer before meals, I wouldn't have been inclined to formulate the above concern. Such concern is mainly triggered by the sense in which you seem to suggest that your desire "to know a good prayer for meals" is one you implicitly deem only capable of being addressed by "[your] Ethiopian Orthodox brothers."

If you are at all familiar with my website and one of the primary sentiments that drives it, you will understand why the above concern is important to me.

NB: This post was in no way written in a spirit of anger, frustration or rebuke--I only seek to gently caution you to be wary of how you perceive and understand yourself as an Ethiopian Orthodox Christian within the wider OO communion, and the implications of such perception and understanding.

I understand your concern, and thank you for expressing it. Since I am so new to my Ethiopian Orthodox Faith, I desire to learn first my own Church's traditions and customs. This is not because I don't value other Orthodox prayers and customs, but only because I love my Church and want to build my spiritual growth upon this solid foundation. But I am always blessed and encouraged by reading and learning the prayers and traditions of other Orthodox Churches. So please keep sharing them.

Selam

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
EkhristosAnesti
Archon

Pope St Kyrillos VI

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 09:56:35 PM »

I definitely respect where you're coming from and laud you on your pursuit to learn and adopt the ways of your Church. It disturbs me when western converts to Orthodoxy neglect or disrespect the culture of the church they convert to upon the assumption that the 'Faith' is all that matters (yes, the Faith *is* all that matters, but the culture is part and parcel of it).

Like I said, had you simply made an exclusive inquiry into Ethiopian Orthodox prayers, I wouldn't have made any issue out of it. It was just that seemingly implicit suggestion that a *good* prayer before meals was an *Ethiopian Orthodox* prayer before meals (as if non-Ethiopian Orthodox prayers were not as *good*) that got to me. Though clearly you didn't mean it that way! I hope you don't think I was accusing you of such.

Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 11:47:27 PM »

I definitely respect where you're coming from and laud you on your pursuit to learn and adopt the ways of your Church. It disturbs me when western converts to Orthodoxy neglect or disrespect the culture of the church they convert to upon the assumption that the 'Faith' is all that matters (yes, the Faith *is* all that matters, but the culture is part and parcel of it).

Like I said, had you simply made an exclusive inquiry into Ethiopian Orthodox prayers, I wouldn't have made any issue out of it. It was just that seemingly implicit suggestion that a *good* prayer before meals was an *Ethiopian Orthodox* prayer before meals (as if non-Ethiopian Orthodox prayers were not as *good*) that got to me. Though clearly you didn't mean it that way! I hope you don't think I was accusing you of such.

Yes, my use of the word "good" was a bit misleading. Sorry about that. I have already been encouraged by the prayers that have been mentioned. I especialy like the aspect of praying before and after meals. I look forward to beginning this practice with my family. 

Selam

Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2009, 11:31:27 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

We do have prayers before and after meal. The standard ones that I have in ge'ez are long meal time prayers usually led by one person. This requires translation which I can't make now. If possible, in the future,  I will try to translate only a small portion of prayer before meal from a prayer known as "sa'alnaake  mehari" and paryer after meal from the "sibhat" prayer.

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2009, 08:19:21 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

We do have prayers before and after meal. The standard ones that I have in ge'ez are long meal time prayers usually led by one person. This requires translation which I can't make now. If possible, in the future,  I will try to translate only a small portion of prayer before meal from a prayer known as "sa'alnaake  mehari" and paryer after meal from the "sibhat" prayer.

Hiywot

Thank you! That would be true blessing. The shorter versions will actually be better for us since we have young children. I look forward to this!

Selam

Hiywot

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahido

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2009, 09:58:08 AM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

Here are the mealtime prayers you requested.

Prayer before meal [from the Sa’alna'ke Mehari]

O! Holy and Righteous Jesus Christ Eternal Son of God and Incarnate Son of Mary; Send us Your Divine Hand and Your Most High Arm and bless this bread and this drink [this meal] for us.
O! Lord, let this bread and drink [this meal] be sweet for the mouth, light for the throat and healthful for the stomach;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink heal the sick and strengthen the weak;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink not deter us and make us forget your praises;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink not lead us to excessive sleep and to laziness that interferes with prayers;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink be used by our body for knowledge and wisdom, peace and love, praises and singing;
O! Lord, let this bread truly be a meal of righteousness and this drink truly be a drink of life; …………
………………………. [and it continues]
Christ our God, we thank you for giving us and blessing this bread and drink for us.

Prayer after meal [the Sibhat Prayer]

Glory to the Father; Glory to the Son; Glory to the Holy Spirit
Glory to Our Lady Mary, Virgin Mother of God
Glory to the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ
Let Christ remember us in his mercy; [Amen]
Let Him not leave us ashamed in his second coming; [Amen]
Let Him awaken us to bless his name; [Amen]
Let Him strengthen us to worship Him; [Amen]
Our Lady Mary, take our prayers up and purge away our sins:-
To Him that fed us this bread; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that gave us this drink; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that prepares our daily meal and clothing; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that is merciful of our sins; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that gave us His holy flesh and blood; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that safely brought us to this hour; [His mercy endures forever]
We deliver thanks and glory to God the Most High and to His Virgin Mother and to His Holy Cross.
Let the name of God be glorified always, at all times and hours. Amen

(When in group, one person leads the Sibhat Prayer and the others respond by repeating the words in parenthesis)

Hiywot
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2009, 06:17:17 PM »

Gebre Menfes Kidus,

Here are the mealtime prayers you requested.

Prayer before meal [from the Sa’alna'ke Mehari]

O! Holy and Righteous Jesus Christ Eternal Son of God and Incarnate Son of Mary; Send us Your Divine Hand and Your Most High Arm and bless this bread and this drink [this meal] for us.
O! Lord, let this bread and drink [this meal] be sweet for the mouth, light for the throat and healthful for the stomach;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink heal the sick and strengthen the weak;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink not deter us and make us forget your praises;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink not lead us to excessive sleep and to laziness that interferes with prayers;
O! Lord, let this bread and drink be used by our body for knowledge and wisdom, peace and love, praises and singing;
O! Lord, let this bread truly be a meal of righteousness and this drink truly be a drink of life; …………
………………………. [and it continues]
Christ our God, we thank you for giving us and blessing this bread and drink for us.

Prayer after meal [the Sibhat Prayer]

Glory to the Father; Glory to the Son; Glory to the Holy Spirit
Glory to Our Lady Mary, Virgin Mother of God
Glory to the Cross of our Lord Jesus Christ
Let Christ remember us in his mercy; [Amen]
Let Him not leave us ashamed in his second coming; [Amen]
Let Him awaken us to bless his name; [Amen]
Let Him strengthen us to worship Him; [Amen]
Our Lady Mary, take our prayers up and purge away our sins:-
To Him that fed us this bread; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that gave us this drink; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that prepares our daily meal and clothing; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that is merciful of our sins; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that gave us His holy flesh and blood; [His mercy endures forever]
To Him that safely brought us to this hour; [His mercy endures forever]
We deliver thanks and glory to God the Most High and to His Virgin Mother and to His Holy Cross.
Let the name of God be glorified always, at all times and hours. Amen

(When in group, one person leads the Sibhat Prayer and the others respond by repeating the words in parenthesis)

Hiywot

THANK YOU BROTHER HIYWOT for translating these beautiful prayers! I know they will be a true blessing to me and my family. I am so glad to have these now, and I am excited to also share them with others.

Peace to you!

Selam

Nazarene
High Elder

Faith: Judaism
Jurisdiction: Messianic

David ben Yessai

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2009, 07:15:17 PM »

Shalom all,

I would like to see the OO Trisagion hymns. I've found the Coptic version in the Agpeya but I'm missing the others. If anyone will be so kind to post them I'd deeply appreciate it.
Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

Armenian Trisagion hymn:

Soorp Asdvadz, soorp yev huzor, soorp yev anmah,

(for regular Sundays and Easter)
Vor haryar ee merelotz, Voghormia mez.

HOLY GOD, holy and mighty holy and immortal,

(Variables for regular Sundays and Easter)
Who didst rise from the dead, Have mercy on us.

(for Christmas)
Vor haydnetzar vasun mer,...

(for Christmas)
Who was revealed for us.

(Palm Sunday & Second Palm Sunday)
Vor yegir yev kalotz yes...

(Palm Sunday & Second Palm Sunday)
Who didst come and art to come.

(for Ascension of Christ)
Vor hampartzar parok ar Hayr,...

(for Ascension of Christ)
Who did ascend to the Father with glory.

(for Pentecost)
Vor yegir yev hankyar harakyalsn.

(for Pentecost)
Who did come and rest on the Apostles

(for Transfiguration)
Vor haydnetzar ee tapor lerinn..

(for Transfiguration)
Who was revealed on Mount Tapor.

(Assumption of Holy Mother-of-God)
Vor yegir ee pokhumn mor ko yev gusi,...

(Assumption of Holy Mother-of-God)
Who did come at the assumption of thy Virgin Mother.

http://www.armeniapedia.org/index.php?title=Armenian_Church_Morning_Service

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »

As you can see, there are variables for different seasons.  The regular one is "Who rose from the dead."

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2009, 10:57:42 PM »

You can hear it sung in the video to which I linked in reply 215 in this thread:

http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,9840.msg271465.html#msg271465

It is sung in the first 50 seconds of that video.

Salpy
Toumarches

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2009, 02:12:01 AM »

It just occurred to me that one of the variables was missing:

Vor khatchetsar vasn mer

Who was crucified for us

I think this one is sung during feasts of the Holy Cross, Lent, and Good Friday.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 02:15:04 AM by Salpy » Logged

Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2009, 01:29:20 PM »

Toddah rabbah (thanks greatly) Salpy! That's exactly what I wanted, direct translation from the source language with transliteration Smiley
Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

So anyone wanna post the Ethiopian Trisagion, pretty please? Smiley
Gebre Menfes Kidus
Merarches

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2009, 09:40:26 PM »

I think this is it. Ge'ez version:

"Qidus Igziabhér, Qidus Hayal, Qidus Hiyaw, Ze'iyimewut, Tesehalene Egzi'o."

Selam

Nazarene
High Elder

David ben Yessai

« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2009, 02:53:09 PM »

I think this is it. Ge'ez version:

"Qidus Igziabhér, Qidus Hayal, Qidus Hiyaw, Ze'iyimewut, Tesehalene Egzi'o."

Selam

Selam GMK,

I managed to find the full Trisagion hymn from this pdf file: http://www.ethiopianorthodox.org/biography/englishethiopianliturgy.pdf

It's on pg 169 and goes like this:

Holy God, Holy Mighty, Holy Living Immortal,
Who was born of the Holy Virgin Mary,

Have mercy upon us, Lord.

Who was baptized in the Jordan and crucified on the tree of the cross,

Who did rise from the dead on the third day, ascend into Heaven in glory, sits at the right hand of the Father, and will come again in glory to judge the quick and the dead,

Very similar to the Coptic version.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 02:56:09 PM by Nazarene » Logged
Tags: prayer prayer online Oriental Orthodox Oriental Orthodox prayers trisagion 
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: