OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 07:07:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Requirements for looking for, or becoming, a Godparent  (Read 2985 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: October 18, 2007, 01:13:57 PM »

After talking about godparents in another thread, I became intrigued about the requirements of becoming a Godparent or searching for a Godparent. 

1. What responsibilities/roles does a godparent have? Do they simply answer questions re: religion or do they help us with all of life's question from a Christian perspective?

2. Does a godparent stay with you your whole life or just during the catechumenate/ early post-baptism/chrismation period?

3. What are the requirements to becomming a godparent?  Should you make your intentions/wishes known to the priest?

4. Is it imperative or a good idea that the godparent be older than the new Christian?

5. Should one's godparent be married?

6. Is the priest involved in choosing process of choosing the godparent?

7. What if your godparent falls from the faith or gets divorced (as was the case with my godparent)?

8. Is being a godparent serious or simply ceremonial?

9. Is the whole godparent issue simply an antiquated idea that we don't really need anymore?

10. Other questions?

In Christ,

Gabriel 
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:44:38 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 01:37:48 PM »

This excellent production may help:

http://realserver.goarch.org/ram/en/sacraments_baptism.ram

Note: it is 46 minutes long.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 01:38:46 PM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
authio
Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:06:29 PM »

I'm going to answer as far as I know, which may be errant.  Correct me as I go along, please....

1. What responsibilities/roles does a godparent have? Do they simply answer questions re: religion or do they help us with all of life's question from a Christian perspective?

All aspects.  I think this is what makes their role so important - they are there to help discern God's will, pray with the godchild, help the godchild during spiritual ruts, all the days of their life.

2. Does a godparent stay with you your whole life or just during the catechumenate/ early post-baptism/chrismation period?
It is my understanding that they help you during the Great Judgment, so I assume it's important to be in lifelong contact.

3. What are the requirements to becomming a godparent?  Should you make your intentions/wishes known to the priest?

A member "in good standing" according to the minimums of your jurisdiction.  The priest must approve the selection of Godparents.

4. Is it imperative or a good idea that the godparent be older than the new Christian?

I'd say go for someone more mature than the candidate.  Maturity is not always measured by years, but age and experience are usually good benchmarkers.

8. Is being a godparent serious or simply ceremonial?
Very very serious.

9. Is th whole godparent issue simply an antiquated idea that we don't really need anymore?
Theologically, I don't believe that's possible (see #2).  Practically, how can a baby say "I denounce Satan..."?

Christ is risen!
Cristo ha resucitado!
Христос Воскресе!
Χριστός Ανέστη!
 المسيح قام
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »

I found some more info here
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 12:14:18 AM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2007, 12:16:51 AM »

They even have a name- anadochos which means one who receives (the person out of the font).

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2007, 12:24:31 AM »

If you are looking for someone, i'm available.... Wink Grin

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2007, 12:51:10 AM »

I think parents should really think about the people they choose as godparents because being a cradle Orthodox in the greek culture I used to see god parent as a way to make a freind a "relation". This has hurt me because my god parents have not talked to me for about 10 years (i'm 17) and I have really needed someone to go to besides my parents to pray and help but I didn't have this so if all the rules have to be disconsidered at least choose on the critereon that you will be there to help and will have the ability facilitate your function!

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2007, 12:55:51 AM »

If you are looking for someone, i'm available.... Wink Grin
Well, mine did divorce himself from his wife and then skip town, so... Smiley  Actually I've always got OB. Cheesy

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2007, 01:03:31 AM »

Well, mine did divorce himself from his wife and then skip town, so... Smiley  Actually I've always got OB. Cheesy

I'll adopt you son; after all, I did teach you about good beer and ouzo.  Cheesy

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2007, 01:19:19 AM »

I'll adopt you son; after all, I did teach you about good beer and ouzo.  Cheesy
To which I'm forever indebted. Wink

serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2007, 05:21:04 PM »

what is OB??  Sorry for my ignorance. 

I think the more spiritual support your kids have the better it is for the kid.  Spiritual father, Godparents, real parents, spiritually good friends, etc. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2007, 03:21:38 AM »

what is OB??  Sorry for my ignorance.
I think OB refers to our poster Orthodox Bagpiper.
Tags: godparents 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: