OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 02:32:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: RC Bishop suggests everyone calls God by Allah  (Read 5395 times) Average Rating: 0
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« on: August 15, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »

Yep, this will solve everything between Moslems and Christians!

So, Greeks, no more theos, Slavs no more Bozhe, etc. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20279326/?GT1=10252

Dutch bishop: Call God 'Allah' to ease relations
Roman Catholic leader stokes already heated debate on religion

AMSTERDAM - A Roman Catholic Bishop in the Netherlands has proposed people of all faiths refer to God as Allah to foster understanding, stoking an already heated debate on religious tolerance in a country with one million Muslims.

Bishop Tiny Muskens, from the southern diocese of Breda, told Dutch television on Monday that God did not mind what he was named and that in Indonesia, where Muskens spent eight years, priests used the word "Allah" while celebrating Mass.

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? ... What does God care what we call him? It is our problem."

A survey in the Netherlands' biggest-selling newspaper De Telegraaf on Wednesday found 92 percent of the more than 4,000 people polled disagreed with the bishop's view, which also drew ridicule.

"Sure. Lets call God Allah. Lets then call a church a mosque and pray five times a day. Ramadan sounds like fun," Welmoet Koppenhol wrote in a letter to the newspaper.

Gerrit de Fijter, chairman of the Protestant Church in the Netherlands, told the paper he welcomed any attempt to "create more dialogue", but added: "Calling God 'Allah' does no justice to Western identity. I see no benefit in it."

A spokesman from the union of Moroccan mosques in Amsterdam said Muslims had not asked for such a gesture.

Religious tensions on the rise
Signs of tension had already surfaced in the last two weeks after the head of a committee for former Muslims was attacked and populist anti-immigration politician Geert Wilders called for the Koran to be banned.

Bishop Muskens, who will shortly retire, has raised eyebrows in the past with suggestions that those who are hungry may steal bread and that condoms should be permissible in the fight against HIV and AIDS.

Some Dutch Muslims welcomed his comments as a valuable gesture of support coming just days after Wilders branded the Quran a "fascist book" in the vein of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" which legitimizes violence.

Wilders, whose new party won nine seats out of the 150 in parliament in last November's elections, is well known for his firebrand remarks on Islam.

He said an attack by two Moroccans and a Somali on the head of a Dutch group for "ex-Muslims" had spurred him to write.

Issues of immigration and integration had faded from the Dutch political agenda over the last year, after a period of unprecedented social tension sparked by the 2004 murder of Theo Van Gogh, a filmmaker critical of Islam, by a Muslim militant.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Sloga
High Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:21:48 PM »

well, this is already being done is it not? Christians in the middle east refer to God as Allah (atleast a portion do). The thing is our God and "Allah" are not the same person, if Allah even exists. God would never have a murderous rapist as his prophet...but I do have a good idea of who might.

Христе Боже, Распети и Свети!

"In the history of the human race there have been three principal falls: that of Adam, that of Judas, and that of the pope." Saint Justin Popovic
recent convert
Orthodox Chrisitan
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Antiochian (N.A.)

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 02:55:52 PM »

He probably would have called Nero a god. What an insult to any professing Christian. His is probably an Ishmaelite deity not the "Allah" of Arabic Orthodox Christians who is the Allah of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

Antiochian OC N.A.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 03:50:41 PM »

Foster understanding? This Dutch bishop must have smoked one doobie too many...be joking!
I have no complaint with our Arab Christian brothers and sisters using their language, but in this case he is suggesting we all blur the lines in some theological equivalence that does not exist - only muddying the huge differences.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 05:00:43 PM »

The thought processes are impaired by skunky beer...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 07:03:27 PM »

"Allah is a very beautiful word for God. Shouldn't we all say that from now on we will name God Allah? ... What does God care what we call him? It is our problem."
This is a frightening line of thinking.

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 09:40:09 PM »

The Bishop needs to be put in check by the pope. I wonder if the pope is aware of this guy has said?

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2007, 04:39:25 AM »

Hi,

I think this RC Bishop is missing the point. As an Arab-Christian, I can say in English God or Allah, because it is my language for both. However, I do not expect the whole world to speak Arabic. He sounds more ignorant than he thinks.

He is adding more fuel to the fire, pleasing one and angering another only by a simple language, Arabic for Allah and most people do not understand this so why try to enforce it.

Leave it be, to each his own language for the same God / Allah (God the Father and God of Abraham) / Ya'sou Messiah.

My opinion.

In Christ (Ya'sou Messiah),
Hadel

« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:43:16 AM by Hadel » Logged

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2007, 08:23:43 AM »

Your opinion, yes, and a good one.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Frederic

Faith: Roman Catholicism > Eastern Orthodoxy
Jurisdiction: Antioch

St Frederick of Utrecht

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »

The Bishop needs to be put in check by the pope. I wonder if the pope is aware of this guy has said?

Let us read Nostra Ætate (1965):
3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

The God of the Muslims is the same as the Christian God according to this text, so why do not the Roman Catholics call God "Allah"?  Grin

«One cannot understand the least thing about modern civilization if one does not first realize that it is a universal conspiracy to destroy the inner life.» (George Bernanos)
Shlomlokh
主哀れめよ!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Bulgarian

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:56 PM »

Let us read Nostra Ætate (1965):
3. The Church regards with esteem also the Moslems. They adore the one God, living and subsisting in Himself; merciful and all- powerful, the Creator of heaven and earth, who has spoken to men; they take pains to submit wholeheartedly to even His inscrutable decrees, just as Abraham, with whom the faith of Islam takes pleasure in linking itself, submitted to God. Though they do not acknowledge Jesus as God, they revere Him as a prophet. They also honor Mary, His virgin Mother; at times they even call on her with devotion. In addition, they await the day of judgment when God will render their deserts to all those who have been raised up from the dead. Finally, they value the moral life and worship God especially through prayer, almsgiving and fasting.
http://www.vatican.va/archive/hist_councils/ii_vatican_council/documents/vat-ii_decl_19651028_nostra-aetate_en.html

The God of the Muslims is the same as the Christian God according to this text, so why do not the Roman Catholics call God "Allah"?  Grin
I still have never seen a reasonable explanation for sec. 3 of Nostrae Aetate. Truly frightening.

In Christ,
Andrew

"I will pour out my prayer unto the Lord, and to Him will I proclaim my grief; for with evils my soul is filled, and my life unto hades hath drawn nigh, and like Jonah I will pray: From corruption raise me up, O God." -Ode VI, Irmos of the Supplicatory Canon to the Theotokos
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:00 PM »

When I have asked people about it (both when I was RC myself and now), they have generally gone into great detail on what it doesn't say, which is kind of weird, because not writing any of that would also not say those same things, without scandalizing anyone in the process. Undecided

Nicene
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:45 PM »

Ahh, that Bishop needs to gain some common sense. The quran condemns this same Bishop as the worst of creatures no matter what he calls God.

Thank you.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »

Yep, this will solve everything between Moslems and Christians!

So, Greeks, no more theos, Slavs no more Bozhe, etc. 

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20279326/?GT1=10252

Dutch bishop: Call God 'Allah' to ease relations
Roman Catholic leader stokes already heated debate on religion

AMSTERDAM - A Roman Catholic Bishop in the Netherlands has proposed people of all faiths refer to God as Allah to foster understanding, stoking an already heated debate on religious tolerance in a country with one million Muslims.

Bishop Tiny Muskens ...

I couldn't read the rest of the article after I saw the bishop's name was "Tiny".  Grin

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »

Do the Coptic Christians not call God Allah? Surely not in a Muslim sense, of course.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »

Yeah. Copts call God Allah, since they don't speak Coptic anymore. We call God lots of different things in the Church.

Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »

Welcome to the magical (i.e. modernist) world of Dutch Catholicism.  They even have football masses:

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:51:36 PM »

You ain't seen nothing until you've seen a puppet mass.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:54:05 PM »

To be fair though, the bishops suspended the soccer priest.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 05:54:19 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"And the Devil did grin, for his darling sin
is pride that apes humility."
-Samuel Coleridge
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:33 PM »

I may be wrong, but Allah in Arabic appears to be related to Allaha in Syriac, which was definitely used by Christians centuries before Islam existed, and Jews before that, unless Jews always stuck to Hebrew for prayer, which I didn't think they did historically in an absolute sense.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 08:10:29 PM »

Allah Akbar!!   Grin

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 09:52:23 PM »

Allah Akbar!!   Grin

Allahu akbar to be grammatical, I believe.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 09:59:47 PM »

Allah Akbar!!   Grin

Ps 95 (94), 3

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 10:15:52 PM »

FWIW, I call God Allah, at least when the Trisagion is sung in Arabic at the church I've been going to recently.

As far as appeasing Muslims, I think they are more concerned with our belief in the incarnation, the Trinity, and we believe that Jesus was actually publically executed on a cross than what language "God" is said in.

I'm not a Muslim, nor have I ever been, so I could be wrong about what offends them more.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
#1Sinner
Moderated

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Rome

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:34 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BXVI to discipline this guy. The past two popes have collectively kissed the Koran, called down St John the Baptist's blessing on this false religion and prayed in a Mosque.

I hereby recant of defending "orthodoxy" and trying to persuade fellow Catholics of embracing schism. I adhere to the Catholic Faith as preserved by the Church of Rome and Her Pontiffs.
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 10:54:57 PM »

FWIW, I call God Allah, at least when the Trisagion is sung in Arabic at the church I've been going to recently.

You should have seen the look on my father's face at my son's baptism when the church started singing to Allah in Arabic. One of the few times I have truly seen the man baffled, though I think it was largely because he just wasn't expecting it at that moment.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 11:52:42 PM »

Another useful idiot of the Islamists. Maybe newly elected Coptic pope could send a group of Coptic yiayias to illuminate His Excellency about joys of dhimmitude.

pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2012, 02:43:39 PM »

isn't the Islamification of Christianity the founding basis of the heresy of iconoclasm???

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »

isn't the Islamification of Christianity the founding basis of the heresy of iconoclasm???

Not really. Iconoclasm was not an import, but a reaction to abuses of icons. There were cases, for example, of scraping paint from icons and putting it into the chalice to make it holy. Various Anatolian bishops overreacted to this in the opposite direction, and they were supported by the military and the emperor.

dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2012, 06:44:09 PM »

The Nestorians have had a virtual prohibition on icons in their churches for a very long time, quite unrelated to abuses in Europe and only incidentally related to Islamic expansions (since they didn't really stop using icons until the Mongol expansions in the 13th century, quite a few centuries after initially coming under the yoke of the Muslims).

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2012, 07:20:31 PM »

The Nestorians have had a virtual prohibition on icons in their churches for a very long time, quite unrelated to abuses in Europe and only incidentally related to Islamic expansions (since they didn't really stop using icons until the Mongol expansions in the 13th century, quite a few centuries after initially coming under the yoke of the Muslims).

Not all the so-called Nestorians, apparently. The ones on the Old Calendar in schism from Chicago and those living in China have icons.

rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »

Bishop Tiny Muskens, from the southern diocese of Breda, told Dutch television on Monday that God did not mind what he was named and that in Indonesia, where Muskens spent eight years, priests used the word "Allah" while celebrating Mass.

I'm not sure the bishop meant people should ONLY call God "Allah." We name God "The Lord", but we also name Him "Master", "Jehovah", "Our Heavenly Father". Just because you name Him like Allah one thing doesn't mean you can't call Him other things, like "The Most High."

In any case, I think it's debateable whether the jist of what he was saying was that we share the same God and that God in Christianity is the same God as in Rabbinical Judaism and Islam, because of issues like the Trinity. But perhaps those differences could be overcome: for example, the Old Testament gives examples of times that many Israelites recognized God and times they didn't.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 09:22:37 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #32 on: December 01, 2012, 09:45:54 PM »

Allah Akbar!!   Grin

Allahu'Abha, if you're of Baha'i persuasion.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #33 on: December 01, 2012, 11:38:40 PM »

"Some Dutch Muslims welcomed his comments as a valuable gesture of support coming just days after Wilders branded the Quran a "fascist book" in the vein of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" which legitimizes violence."- from the article

How in the world does this guy equate the Quran with "fascism"? Does he even know what Fascism is? Or is he just another useful idiot out there squawking about "Islamo-fascists" like the Neo-cons do here in America?

And even the Bible legitimizes violence. I swear there are idiots out there who believe Hitler invented evil itself.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2012, 11:46:14 PM »

As for the OP, this bishop's a fool. He knows damn well when the Muslim says "Allah" he means a whole different thing then when the Christian Arab says Allah, this is just more lame attempts at false ecumenism, thank God more of these rejects from VII are retiring and becoming extinct before they can do anymore damage than they already have.

Soon enough when this guy checks out he can stand before Jesus and address him as "Allah" because after all, what does Jesus care what he calls him. Roll Eyes

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 12:30:48 AM »

"Some Dutch Muslims welcomed his comments as a valuable gesture of support coming just days after Wilders branded the Quran a "fascist book" in the vein of Adolf Hitler's "Mein Kampf" which legitimizes violence."- from the article

How in the world does this guy equate the Quran with "fascism"? Does he even know what Fascism is? Or is he just another useful idiot out there squawking about "Islamo-fascists" like the Neo-cons do here in America?

And even the Bible legitimizes violence. I swear there are idiots out there who believe Hitler invented evil itself.

I know. It's annoying Uncle Joe gets so overlooked.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #36 on: December 02, 2012, 12:31:49 AM »

Allah Akbar!!   Grin

Allahu'Abha, if you're of Baha'i persuasion.

Is Baha'i speak like Rastafarian re-inventions of language?

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #37 on: December 02, 2012, 10:02:22 PM »

I know. It's annoying Uncle Joe gets so overlooked.
Stalin was easly the most ruthless, perhaps it is the reason he lasted the longest.

Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: December 02, 2012, 11:40:49 PM »

Appeasement...such a silly thing to do.  Haven't we done it enough already?
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #39 on: December 02, 2012, 11:51:07 PM »

Hum,  I wonder if this bishop thinks all Christians should defile the Name of God by screaming "Alla Akbar," whenever perpetrating evil, too, enabling sensitivity to the words of the great Moslem prophet on his deathbed when he commanded for those infidels who cannot be converted to their religion through rational means to "Kill them with the sword."
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 11:57:19 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Suryoyutho

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Suryoyo (Syriac)

« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2012, 03:37:42 AM »

I may be wrong, but Allah in Arabic appears to be related to Allaha in Syriac, which was definitely used by Christians centuries before Islam existed, and Jews before that, unless Jews always stuck to Hebrew for prayer, which I didn't think they did historically in an absolute sense.

"The Arabs used a number of scripts, but what we now call “Arabic” script was not developed until the fifth or sixth century. The earliest dated Arabic-language inscription in this “Arabic” script is the Zebed inscription. It was inscribed onto a Christian martyrion in 512 AD, where the texts are in Greek, Syriac, and Arabic. The Arabic text includes a name or statement in which God is referred to as alâh or allâh. This shows that pre-Islamic Christians were using this term in reference to God in Arabic, just as they used alâh(â) to refer to God in Syriac."

The Tur Abdin Timeline - A timeline of Tur Abdin (Syriac for "the Mountain of the Servants [of God]"), the heartland of the Syriac Orthodox Christians, a hilly region located in upper Mesopotamia, between the Tigris and Euphrates.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2012, 03:46:24 AM »

Not all the so-called Nestorians, apparently. The ones on the Old Calendar in schism from Chicago and those living in China have icons.

What kind of icons? Any examples?

Charles Martel
Warned
Archon

« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:17 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for BXVI to discipline this guy. The past two popes have collectively kissed the Koran, called down St John the Baptist's blessing on this false religion and prayed in a Mosque.
I have yet to see proof of  Benedict committing such an atrocity. Angry

Having said that;

St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa Theologica, Pt. II, Q. 12, A. 1, Obj. 2: “… if anyone were to… worship at the tomb of Mahomet, he would be deemed an apostate.”

kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2012, 04:23:44 PM »

Agreed.

Hi,

I think this RC Bishop is missing the point. As an Arab-Christian, I can say in English God or Allah, because it is my language for both. However, I do not expect the whole world to speak Arabic.

Leave it be, to each his own language for the same God / Allah (God the Father and God of Abraham) / Ya'sou Messiah.

My opinion.

In Christ (Ya'sou Messiah),
Hadel

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Theophilos78
Archon

Faith: pro-Israeli Zionist Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Adonai Yeshua

« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2012, 05:01:26 PM »

I personally think that all Christians must say ELOHIM instead of God or Allah since ELOHIM is the only true God of Israel and of the Bible. All the deities of the nations are called idols/demons in the Word of God. To avoid idolatry and worship of demons, we must stick to the word ELOHIM.  angel

Longing for Heavenly Jerusalem
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: