OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 03:31:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Visions and Apparitions of the Theotokos  (Read 8597 times) Average Rating: 0
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« on: July 26, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »

Hey all,

This is something I've been curious about since this past winter when I read a book called Medjugorje. It seems as if the Theotokos appears as appartions to Catholics whereas to Orthodox, her Icons will cry or the vigil lamp above will sway back and forth. My questions are 1) Has she ever appeared as an appartition (is that even the correct word?) to Orthodox? and 2) Do Orthodox accept the validity of Catholic appartitions?
 BTW, the book is pronounced Med-you-gor-yay and it's really interesting and obviously thought provoking.

Gabriel

Note to my dear Catholic friends: I'm questioning from an Orthodox point of view and mean no disrespect to any of you.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:01:39 PM by Jibrail Almuhajir » Logged

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »

I think Mary reportedly appeared to reveal the location of a missing Russian icon (Our Lady of Kazan). I also remember reading that there had been a reported appearance in Constantinople in the 10th century. That's all I really know, but I wanted to get something in before the stuff starts about "Marian apparitions are Latin delusions!"  Grin

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Entscheidungsproblem
Formerly Friul & Nebelpfade
Protokentarchos

Faith: Machine God

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 07:23:18 PM »

The Zeitoun apparitions at Saint Mark's Coptic Church are recognised by both the Coptic Church and the Roman Catholic Church.

Not sure about the second question since Roman Catholics are not forced to accept the apparitions that the Vatican has approved (and many don't) Tongue, let alone Orthodox members.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 07:34:02 PM by Friul » Logged

As a result of a thousand million years of evolution, the universe is becoming conscious of itself, able to understand something of its past history and its possible future.
-- Sir Julian Sorell Huxley FRS
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 08:59:27 PM »

The Zeitoun apparitions at Saint Mark's Coptic Church are recognised by both the Coptic Church and the Roman Catholic Church.

Not sure about the second question since Roman Catholics are not forced to accept the apparitions that the Vatican has approved (and many don't) Tongue, let alone Orthodox members.

Interesting. I would think that since Copts are theologically closer to EO's, it seems plausible that we too would accept the visions. Yet, still, EO's don't traditionally even have these visions and I'm wondering why?

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 10:11:58 PM »

Interesting. I would think that since Copts are theologically closer to EO's, it seems plausible that we too would accept the visions. Yet, still, EO's don't traditionally even have these visions and I'm wondering why?

Well, according to miracle of Fatima, it is probably because we need to be converted  Roll Eyes

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 11:06:37 PM »

Visions come to people in times of great spiritual need...maybe we Orthodox are not in as great a need as those sinful RC westerners way over there in western europe Smiley just kiiiiiding Wink
Symeon
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Radovan Karadzic - Serbian Hero

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2007, 02:34:16 PM »

Protection of the Holy Virgin. This feast was established in remembrance of Her apparition during the siege of Constantinople [Istanbul] in the middle of the 9th century. The Slavs [Variags], at that time pagans surrounded the city of Constantinople by sea and land with a huge army. Christians inside the city rushed to their churches with prayers for divine help. A beggar in the city, Saint Andrew the Fool-for-Christ's-sake, was in the church of Vlahern praying all night with many other Christians. In the fourth hour of the night, the Saint saw a majestic Woman, the Virgin Mary, coming forth above the royal gates (in the middle of the sanctuary) accompanied by John the Baptist, John the Theologian, and many saints, some preceding and some following Her, singing hymns and praying. Saint Andrew approached his pupil Epiphanius and asked if he also saw the Queen of the world. "I see Her and tremble," answered the latter. And while they looked, She stood above of the sanctuary and prayed for a long time.

Then the Virgin Mary removed Her veil and spread it over the church and the city. Saint Andrew told the people about this apparition of the Holy Virgin. Encouraged, they made a procession along the walls of the city and submerged in the sea an icon of the Virgin Mary. A few hours afterward a great storm arose and destroyed most of the enemy ships. The Slavs who survived retreated, and the town was saved. From that time many Slavs started to convert to Christianity. Saint Andrew by birth was also a Slav. Perhaps explains why Russians so greatly honor this appearance of the Mother of God to him and dedicate to this miracle the feast of the Protection of the Holy Virgin, which is celebrated each year on October 1/14.
http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/mary.htm
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2007, 02:50:35 PM »

Well, according to miracle of Fatima, it is probably because we need to be converted  Roll Eyes
Good point.  Wink

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2007, 02:58:59 PM »

For those of you who follow the Church of Greece's calendar, the feast was moved to October 28th to commemorate her protection of Greece during the war with the Italians in WWII.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2007, 03:07:23 PM »

This feast was established in remembrance of Her apparition during the siege of Constantinople [Istanbul] in the middle of the 9th century

Ok, this is without a doubt a nitpick, but someone might want to suggest that the document be edited to say early 10th century rather than mid 9th century.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Fr. George
formerly "Cleveland"
Administrator
Stratopedarches

Faith: Orthodox (Catholic) Christian
Jurisdiction: GOA - Metropolis of Pittsburgh

May the Lord bless you and keep you always!

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2007, 03:08:03 PM »

Ok, this is without a doubt a nitpick, but someone might want to suggest that the document be edited to say early 10th century rather than mid 9th century.

Historical accuracy is important.

"The man who doesn't read good books has no advantage over the one who can't read them." Mark Twain
---------------------
Ordained on 17 & 18-Oct 2009. Please forgive me if earlier posts are poorly worded or incorrect in any way.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2007, 03:10:31 PM »

For those of you who follow the Church of Greece's calendar, the feast was moved to October 28th to commemorate her protection of Greece during the war with the Italians in WWII.

Thank you! Every year in our CR parish I hear how odd it is the Greeks don't have this feast. Now I know and have an answer. (Should have made this connection myself.)

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
MichaelArchangelos

Faith: Orthodox Inquirer

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2007, 06:49:53 PM »

This article on OrthodoxInfo is worth reading.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/marian_apparitions.aspx
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2007, 10:26:51 PM »

This article on OrthodoxInfo is worth reading.

http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/marian_apparitions.aspx
So what do you intend to communicate by referring us to this article?  Why is it worth reading?
narrowpathplease

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2007, 03:31:42 PM »

Here's a couple of videos about Coptic Marian apparitions.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eKmwj29zH_8

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dVXEh4Jzs2s

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=fBXBaH0mNUs

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HXu5-HbMCi0
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 03:48:33 PM by narrowpathplease » Logged
MichaelArchangelos

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2007, 06:16:08 PM »

So what do you intend to communicate by referring us to this article?  Why is it worth reading?

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted the link. It's an article (rather lengthy, but good) about Marian apparitions in Catholicism (and the Zeitoun apparitions), and how many Marian apparitions (e.g. Fatima) are bordering on goddess worship.
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2007, 11:32:25 PM »

Sorry, I was in a hurry when I posted the link. It's an article (rather lengthy, but good) about Marian apparitions in Catholicism (and the Zeitoun apparitions), and how many Marian apparitions (e.g. Fatima) are bordering on goddess worship.
I wonder how much of the article is really true and how much of it represents the overly polemic nature of much that you see at OrthodoxInfo.com.  After all, this is the same site where one can read an article detailing how St. Francis of Assisi was a blatant heretic.  I don't know.  Call me skeptical if you will, but I've learned to take anything I read at the Orthodox Christian Information Center with a large helping of salt.

That said, I am no less skeptical of much that passes today for Marian apparitions, especially in the heterodox West.
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 12:22:07 AM »

Are there any Orthodox  comments on the miracle of Fatima??

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Tamara
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Diocese of America

+Pray for Orthodox Unity+

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 12:39:15 AM »

I wonder how much of the article is really true and how much of it represents the overly polemic nature of much that you see at OrthodoxInfo.com.  After all, this is the same site where one can read an article detailing how St. Francis of Assisi was a blatant heretic.  I don't know.  Call me skeptical if you will, but I've learned to take anything I read at the Orthodox Christian Information Center with a large helping of salt.

That said, I am no less skeptical of much that passes today for Marian apparitions, especially in the heterodox West.

Peter,

While I was a teenager my family was very good friends with an Egyptian family from our parish. The husband and wife were both witnesses to the miracle in Zeitoun. They even had their own personal photographs they had taken of the Theotokos on the church dome. They shared with us that Theotokos appeared on the dome right before Nasser (the president of their country at that time) was about to embark on a series of extreme measures against all Christians in Egypt. Many Christians prayed to the Theotokos for her intercession. In answer to their prayers, she began appearing on the Dome of the church. They also said at that time that Nasser was struck by a severe illness and it didn't subside till he recinded his order to persecute the Christians. Maybe some of OO posters have their own story to tell about this miracle. Anyway, our Egyptian friends were convinced her appearance was a miracle and that she heard their prayers. I honestly don't think this miracle was a hoax. Our friends were very sober, devout Christians. They only shared this story with us after our family had become very close to them. As a sidenote: I also heard there is a tradition that the Theotokos has a special place in her heart for the land of Egypt because that country provided a place of refuge for her family when Herod was pursuing them.
MichaelArchangelos

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 03:32:39 AM »

I talked to the local Coptic priest, a monk from Egypt, about Zeitoun. He told me that he had actually seen the Zeitoun apparitions, and he even saw the face of the Theotokos. None of the pictures I have ever seen of the apparition showed her face.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 03:34:19 AM by MichaelArchangelos » Logged
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2007, 07:56:41 PM »

God bless!+

Of course there are many Appearances of the Allholy Theotkos in the Orthodox church!
Since the time of the Apostels the Theotokos is appearing to orthodox christians I think one of the latest was the Appearance in the capitol city of Georgia in Tiflis where thousends of orthodox could see her for two weeks in the apse of the church! The night before Christ ,the Theotokos and many Saints appeared to thousends of people and told them to come to the Zisperi church and that God will send them a sign.

the Appearance of the Theotokos

to Saint Gregory the wonderworker
to Saint Hiearch Nyphon during Liturgy
to Saint Andrew in Konstantinopel
to Saint Peter the Athonit
to Saint Sergius of Radonsez
to Saint Savva of Serbia
to Saint Gregory Palamas
to Saint Seraphim of sarov
to Saint Job of Potschajev -She left her footprint on the rock
to Saint Bartholomaos of Moldavia (she left her footprint )
to the russian soldiers during the war in Augustovo
                               in the japanese- russian war
to Elder Joseph the Hesychast
to Eldress Myrtidiotissa of Klissoura (one of the greates Saints of our times) she often appeared
to blessed Euphemia of Serbia

In CHRIST

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2007, 03:00:27 PM »

to the russian soldiers during the war in Augustovo
                               in the japanese- russian war

Could you please give more information on this?  I have just gotten a book on the Russo-Japanese War so I am reading about that conflict.  The only on-line reference I could find to any battle of Augustovo was in 1914/WWI and the combatants were Russian and German. Thank you in advance.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2007, 03:13:45 PM »

Could you please give more information on this?  I have just gotten a book on the Russo-Japanese War so I am reading about that conflict.  The only on-line reference I could find to any battle of Augustovo was in 1914/WWI and the combatants were Russian and German. Thank you in advance.

Ebor

God bless you!+

I will do my best Ebor.
You have to search for the icon of the Most Holy Mother of God of Augustovo were all russian soldiers saw a brilliant vision of our Allholy Theotokos and on many other occasions too.
There also appeard an extrem vision of Christ and also the germans saw it!

I try to give you more details!

In CHRIST

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2007, 04:05:18 PM »

God bless you!+

I will do my best Ebor.
You have to search for the icon of the Most Holy Mother of God of Augustovo were all russian soldiers saw a brilliant vision of our Allholy Theotokos and on many other occasions too.
There also appeard an extrem vision of Christ and also the germans saw it!

I try to give you more details!

In CHRIST

I have searched on that phrase and have come up with nothing.  Perhaps it has not been translated into English?  Just to be clear, Augustovo is in eastern Europe/Russia?

It was your first mention of it that it was during the Russo-Japanese War that caught my eye, but Germany had nothing to do with that war (the Japanese won) and Augustovo is not a place name that sounded like it could have been in Eastern Asia/Japan etc., though there are places that both Russia and Japan had names for, so I was trying to figure it out.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2007, 09:03:13 PM »

I have searched on that phrase and have come up with nothing.  Perhaps it has not been translated into English?  Just to be clear, Augustovo is in eastern Europe/Russia?

It was your first mention of it that it was during the Russo-Japanese War that caught my eye, but Germany had nothing to do with that war (the Japanese won) and Augustovo is not a place name that sounded like it could have been in Eastern Asia/Japan etc., though there are places that both Russia and Japan had names for, so I was trying to figure it out.

God bless !

Yes Augustovo is in eastern Europe/ Russia and I meant the german - russian war, in thes war the Theotokos appeared to the russian Soldiers ( all could see her in the sky.I think also the germans) and fell on the ground and prayed..there is also an icon of this appearance. But there are many other such appearances -for example a great Visison appeared: all could see the face of Christ in the Sky -it was also both seen by the russians and germans.

The other is the Appearance of the Theotokos in the japanese/ russian war - it is said the Theotokos appered to the russians and told them to return ( she was seen with Seraphim and Cherubim)

I also could not find anything online yet -but I will go on to look for !

IN CHRIST
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2007, 09:38:52 PM »

God bless !

"When the Great Patriotic war of our country against Hitler's invaders broke out, on June 22nd 1941, the Patriarch of Antioch Alexander III addressed Christians of the world with a message to pray for Russia's salvation. One of those to respond to this appeal was Metropolitan Ilya of the Lebanon Hills. This non-Russian person understood better than many others the significance of our Orthodox country for the rest of the world. Metropolitan Ilya decided to go into seclusion and pray to the Holy Virgin to show him a means of sending deliverance to Russia. He descended into a stone underground dwelling, where no sounds could reach him, and where there was nothing but the icon of the Holy Virgin. The Metropolitan abstained from food and drink, and stood on his knees praying all of the time...
Every morning they brought him fresh reports from the frontlines of the Great Patriotic war regarding the number of killed, and how far the enemy had advanced...
After three days of vigil metropolitan Ilya had a vision of the Holy Virgin in a pillar of fire, announcing that he'd been chosen by God to convey His message to the Russian people. If all these requests weren't met, Russia would perish.

The Lord's message, conveyed by The Holy Mother of God, said that Orthodox churches and monasteries, Seminaries and Theological Academies should be opened all across Russia. The clergy should be brought back from the frontlines and prisons so that they might start services. A Cross-bearing procession should walk around Leningrad (now St.Petersburg) with the Kazan icon of the Mother of God, so that the enemy under no circumstances seize this 'chosen' city. A service must be conducted in Moscow before the Kazan icon of the Mother of God, after which the icon should be sent to Stalingrad, which must likewise be defended at all cost. The Kazan icon should go with the troops to the very borders of Russia.
Metropolitan Ilya immediately got in touch with representatives of the Russian Orthodox Church and the Soviet government and conveyed to them all that the Holy Virgin had revealed to him. Today our archives contain letters and telegrammes sent by Metropolitan Ilya to Moscow.

Stalin summoned the representatives of the Orthodox clergy and promised to fulfill all that was requested in the message conveyed by metropolitan Ilya. He saw no other possible way of saving the situation, since the country lacked the resources to contain the advancing enemy. Nazi troops were just outside Moscow, and death and famine roamed our land.
In Leningrad, besieged by the Nazis, they brought the Kazan icon of the Mother of God out of the Vladimir Cathedral and walked around the entire city with it in a cross-bearing procession. The city held out and didn't surrender to the besieging Nazi army. Yet again, facts supported the truth of the words spoken by the Venerable Mitrofan of Voronezh, who said that a town named in honor of Apostle Peter had been chosen by the Holy Mother of God. While the Kazan icon of the Mother of God remained in the city and there were Christians praying, the enemy would never penetrate it.
The Holy Virgin interceded on Moscow's behalf, too. Right after the Kazan icon of the Mother of God was flown around Moscow on a plane, the Nazis fled from the city, as if driven by some panic terror, leaving behind the dead and broken weaponry. None of Hitler's generals could comprehend just what had happened: why their excellently equipped and trained troops, already flush up against Moscow, suddenly retreated.

This is one of such appearances !

In CHRIST
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2007, 09:47:08 PM »

God bless !

Another Appearance:

Thus, with the revival of Orthodoxy in our country during the war, our army began to oust the Nazis from its own territory, and later - from the Nazi occupied European countries. Our army chased the invaders back to Berlin, where the Great Patriotic war and World War Two ended in May 1945.
Here is a testimony of our contemporary speaking of his relative who participated in the war:
"My Uncle had a vision of the Holy Mother of God during the war. This was during battles of the Kursk Bulge. The Holy Virgin appeared in the sky and pointed towards the Germans, as if directing our advance. The entire squadron saw Her. We all fell to our knees, believers and atheists alike. We prayed heartily to the Holy Mother of God... From that moment on our troops began to advance successfully. My Uncle, who was formerly an atheist, was transformed into an Orthodox believer."

On September 28th 1942 the occupant forces drove all the residents of the village of Rozhkovka, in Byelorussia to the edge of the settlement. 57 families - women, the old folks, and children - looked in horror at the gun barrels pointed at them. The translator unfolded a slip of paper bearing a swastika. It was an order to execute all residents of the village for corroborating with the partisans and shielding saboteurs. The villagers themselves dug a huge common grave for themselves. The grave grew bigger and bigger, and death - ever closer... "Lord save us! Holy Mother of God, have mercy on us!" they all prayed as one. Nothing short of a miracle could save them.
At the moment when it seemed it was hopeless, the image of the Virgin appeared in the sky.It was seen by a German pilot. The Virgin was walking aross the Heavens with the Infant in her arms, as if walking on earth. He heard her voice, saying: "Find on the map the village Rozhkovka. Change your course and fly there! Stop the execution!"

According to witnesses, when the residents of Rozhkovka were ready to die, a Nazi plane suddenly landed in the field. An officer jumped out, weighed down by orders of distinction, and shouted to the SS men:
"Do not shoot! In two days I'll bring you an order annulling the execution!"
Indeed, this order was delivered by the pilot in two days time, at noon. All the people were saved.
"A month later," recalls one resident of Rozhkovka, "the same German pilot brought an icon to our village and passed it over to us. He said the 'Madonna' (Our Heavenly Mother!) had been carved on a wooden board by a wounded soldier at his request. On that icon, the Holy Virgin was just as the German pilot had seen Her in the sky!Decades have passed since the end of the war, yet the icon has never been restored - the colors shine brightly, as if just painted on over the carved image. The icon is self-renewing....

In CHRIST

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2007, 09:50:44 PM »

God bless !

The Image of the Savior in the Sky.

In 1941, when I was 22, I was sent to the front. I was a signalman. I took part in the Leningrad defense. The Nazis were trying to take the city, which was surrounded. Trying to take the city at any cost, they sent an avalanche of fire on us. My battle friends were dying one after another. And then, during one of the bombings, when the barrage swooped on the city and, it seemed, that the end of the world had come, a real miracle happened. The night sky was suddenly illuminated with pink light, and the image of the Savior appeared on the rosy sky. All the soldiers in the dugout, without any mutual agreement, fell on their knees from the suddenness of it, and started to pray… The image of the Savior disappeared. The sky became normal, but the hell on earth stopped. And we could not regain our senses for a long time… I started to believe in God from that moment. With this faith, I survived the entire war and, after the Victory, returned home without a wound. The image of Christ remained in my memory forever.

IN CHRIST

PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2007, 11:35:48 PM »

Christodoulos,

For our benefit, could you please tell us where you gleaned these stories so we can read them for ourselves?
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007, 01:28:19 AM »

The other is the Appearance of the Theotokos in the japanese/ russian war - it is said the Theotokos appered to the russians and told them to return ( she was seen with Seraphim and Cherubim)

I also could not find anything online yet -but I will go on to look for !

IN CHRIST

I would be very interested in any information on this purported appearance please, since Japanese History is one of my studies.  I have not come across any reference to such an occurance during that conflict, which Russia lost with a decisive Japanese victory at the naval Battle of Tsushima Straits..  One question is where the Russians were being told "to return' to and when?  There isn't enough information to check.

Thank you

Ebor

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2007, 08:22:40 AM »

I would be very interested in any information on this purported appearance please, since Japanese History is one of my studies.  I have not come across any reference to such an occurance during that conflict, which Russia lost with a decisive Japanese victory at the naval Battle of Tsushima Straits..  One question is where the Russians were being told "to return' to and when?  There isn't enough information to check.

Thank you

Ebor

God bless !

Please forgive  my  ignorance  but  I  only know that it was said that the Theotokos appeared and told them to return and give up - she saw the pain and suffering of the people. I only know a litte of the Japanese russian war but what I know it was a very horrible one -most for the russians ( I think)

In CHRIST
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2007, 07:13:42 PM »

God bless !

Stalingrad

While I was working in the State Archive of the Russian Federation I found a document, unique in its way: it was the report of the representative of the Council on the Affairs of the Russian Orthodox Church Comrade Hodchenko to the then-chairman of the Council G.G. Karpov. In it, a regular atheist, an opponent of religion, informed the higher bosses about things which contradicted his own ideas and beliefs. The representative reported no more no less a Miracle, which a whole military unit that had come to the Ukraine from the Stalingrad front had witnessed...
After the shattering defeat near Moscow, the German command was counting on delivering the main blow to a southern region, in order to break through Rostov to Stalingrad and the Northern Caucasus, and from there to the Caspian Sea and north along the Volga River. Therefore the defense of Stalingrad appeared to be the major strategic task to the Soviet leadership. In the middle of July, 1942, the army of general Chujkov was sent to the Stalingrad region, which took on the major brunt of the struggle against the enemy, whose force was made up of 26 divisions.

In September of 1942, the fascists prepared for the last, "decisive" storming of the fortress on the Volga. By that time, the greater part of the city was already in their hands. There were heavy street battles for every district, house, for each meter of the Volga grounds throughout the month. On November 11 the Nazis made their next attempt to storm the city. Our armies found themselves divided into three parts. But during the most critical moment of the battle, the soldiers of one part of the celebrated army saw something that made them shudder: a Sign appeared in the autumn night sky of Stalingrad, indicating the rescue of the city, the army and the swift victory of the Soviet armies.

Unfortunately, in the report of the representative, it does not say what exactly the soldiers saw in the Stalingrad sky. It can only be assumed, that the Stalingrad sign and the appearance of the Kazan icon of the Mother of God in Stalingrad (the miraculous icon was among our armies on the right bank of Volga, and moliebens and panikhidas were constantly served in front of it) are somehow connected. In any case, the Stalingrad sign clearly showed, that God's help does not abandon the Russian people in the most critical moments of its history. The further succession of events — the encirclement of the enemy and counterattack of the Soviet army — served as the best proof of that.

After all that happened, the legendary commander, subsequently the celebrated marshal, Chujkov, could be seen in Orthodox churches. The hero of the Stalingrad battle stood in church; put candles before the icons... Certainly, he remembered the night before the battle and the marvelous Face of the Mother of God, which had appeared in the clarified autumn sky!

In 1941, Vasily Grigorjevich Kazanin was sent to the front. He fought near Smolensk, participated in the attack on Velikie Luki. He took part in reconnaissance operations many times, he was wounded four or five times. One of the bullets passed through his body, just several centimeters below the heart. He took part in the liberation of Konigsberg. Then, the Germans occupied trenches. Shells bounced off the stone bastions like balls. Russia sustained great losses.

Then the Kazan Icon of the Mother of God was brought. The priests served a molieben and went on a religious procession to the front line, completely upright. The Germans were shooting. Suddenly they stopped — the enemy appeared frozen. Our armies began the full attack on Konigsberg. Leaving their shelters, thousands of Germans surrendered. Later, they related that their weapons stopped functioning, while the Most Holy Virgin appeared in the sky, and they understood, Who was helping the Russians...
After the war Vasily Grigorjevich, answering the call of his soul, entered the Pskov Monastery of the Caves and toiled there as schema monk Irinarch.

In CHRIST

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2007, 12:30:58 PM »

God bless !

Please forgive  my  ignorance  but  I  only know that it was said that the Theotokos appeared and told them to return and give up - she saw the pain and suffering of the people. I only know a litte of the Japanese russian war but what I know it was a very horrible one -most for the russians ( I think)

In CHRIST

To return to Russia and give up the conflict with the Japanese? 

I'm sorry and mean no offense in this, but this story of an appearance is not an established occurance.  With no names or date or place, what reason is there to think that this really happened?

I assure you that the Russo-Japanese War was horrible for the Japanese soldiers and sailors who died in it as well.  The fact that a country which had only been "opened" to the rest of the world and it's technology for about half a century was able to defeat the Russians so resoundingly was a remarkable thing in itself and helped establish Japan as a world power.

Ebor

Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2007, 11:09:21 AM »

To return to Russia and give up the conflict with the Japanese? 

I'm sorry and mean no offense in this, but this story of an appearance is not an established occurance.  With no names or date or place, what reason is there to think that this really happened?

I assure you that the Russo-Japanese War was horrible for the Japanese soldiers and sailors who died in it as well.  The fact that a country which had only been "opened" to the rest of the world and it's technology for about half a century was able to defeat the Russians so resoundingly was a remarkable thing in itself and helped establish Japan as a world power.

Ebor

God bless !

There are different appearances of the Theotokos during the russian/japanese war. I have to re-read the books I have, and I will tell you more details.

One I know is the appearance of the icon of the Mother of God of Port Arthur

The Port Arthur icon of the Most Holy Mother of God is also knowned as the icon "Feast of the Most Holy Mother of God". It was originally written for the Port Arthur naval base at the beginning the Russo-Japanese war in 1904. It was to be delivered from St Petersburg by train to Port Arthur (present day Lushun, China), but ended up in Vladivostok for about half a year. The icon was sent off again to reach its destination of Port Arthur. This time it was being transported by vessel which was heading to Shanghai. Port Arthur surrendered to the Japanese on Dec 20, 1904. The icon never arrived at Port Arthur and mysteriously disappeared, but was recently discovered in a Jerusalem antique shop on Feb 17, 1996. On May 6th, 1998 the icon returned to Vladivostok. The Vladivostok diocese has designated August 16/29 as the day of commemoration for this icon, coinciding with the feastday of the Image Not Made By Hand of our Lord and God and Saviour Jesus Christ

from the Akathistos to the wonderworking icon of Port Arthur:

Tropar (Tone 4)

Today, O Mother of God / the city of Vladivostok rejoices / and with it all thereaches of the earth / in beholding your Icon, / which bears the historic name of PortArthur / for blessed and glorious provision / was offered to the devout forces of thefar Russian realm / and is offered to us today/ as we gaze on Thy holy image and cry/ O God-fearing ones / preserve the Orthodox faith / for this faith is yourfirm foundation.

Kontakion I

Our Lady, we Thy servants raise a hymn of thanksgiving to Thee, ourIntercessor and Queen, chosen from all generations, Who dost defend us by the veil ofThy grace. We beseech Thee, O most Merciful Lady, to deliver us from all calamity andtorment, as we bring Thee this glad song: Rejoice, O Queen, from ages praised, whoseprayers cover the breadth of our land with mercy.

Ikos I
The Creator of angels hath chosen Thee, Our Lady, for the gracious salvation of thenations, and hath granted Thee to us, the Mediator for Orthodox people, Who dost deliverus from invasions, famine and all misfortune, and Who dost bestow all piety and devotion upon our lives. Therefore we, in remembrance of Thy lovingkindness, chant to Thee withjoyful hearts:

Ikos 2

The wisdom of heaven touched the believing ones of the city of Kiev, requesting that anicon of the Most Holy Theotokos be prepared, and that it should be called the “PortArthur Mother of God” to be the Protectress and Defender of the devout warriors of theRussian Far East, and a comfort and help to Orthodox people. Therefore we chant thesepraises with tenderness of heart to Thee:

Rejoice, Thou Who by Thine appearing didst defend the Far Eastern lands fromthe enemy.
Rejoice, Thou didst promise victory if Thine icon were brought to Port Arthur.
Rejoice, O Queen from ages praisedWhose prayers cover the breadth of our land with mercy.

Kontakion 7

O Theotokos, a certain Russian officer desiring to fulfill the will of God bore the icon ofPort Arthur to the fortress besieged by the enemy. But when he got to the city of Dalianhe did not find that the military leaders had faith in the help of the Theotokos, and hecried out to the Lord with tears: Alleluia.Ikos 7A new aspect of lovingkindness came to us in the form of the Port Arthur icon, after theLord, who allows mankind the experience of fire, the sword, famine or disaster, allowedthe defeat of the Russian warriors, so that godless people held captive the icon of PortArthur, yet He did not allow His people to completely fall but caught them up with Hismerciful hand.

IN CHRIST

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2007, 10:59:14 PM »

There are different appearances of the Theotokos during the russian/japanese war. I have to re-read the books I have, and I will tell you more details.

Thank you.  I would appreciate that.

One I know is the appearance of the icon of the Mother of God of Port Arthur

That is interesting, but I'm a bit confused. It seems to be about an icon rather then any vision or apparition of St. Mary the Virgin.  Perhaps I'm not quite understanding what you wrote clearly.  Is it the case that English is not your first language, but that you are a native Russian speaker?  I ask because the date you gave for the surrender of Port Arthur is, I think, on the Julian Calendar, as the date I've seen is January 2, 1905.

Ebor

GiC
Resident Atheist
Site Supporter
Merarches

Faith: Mathematician

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2007, 11:10:24 PM »

Hmmm, guess she likes the Greeks better than the Russians...when she appeared before the walls of Constantinople she actually won the battle for them.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 11:11:45 PM by greekischristian » Logged

"The liberties of people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." -- Patrick Henry
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2007, 03:49:53 PM »

God bless !

Here are some icons of the appearance of the Theotokos in Augustovo during the german/russian war:

In CHRIST
Christodoulos
Elder

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2007, 05:19:49 PM »

God bless !

The Appearance of the Mother of God in Moscow:"The Resurrection of Russia"

On October, 14th, 1998 on the feastday of the Protection of the Most Holy Theotokos, the servant of God Olga did not go to the Church. She stayed at home and was listening to the tape recorder to the Akathistos to the Mother of God. Suddenly during the moment when it is sung " Rejoice,..... ", Olga felt something unusual and in heart a silent pleasure. She saw a bright dazzling-white pillar which began to go down from the sky to the ground.

And she saw a vision like the icon of Protection of the Mother of God as it is usually represented in the Church. The Vision coming nearer, increased in sizes and it appeared above the ground.

In a view of there was the Theotokos! She was even more light, than the other light. To describe it - there are no words. And the Face of the Mother of God - to describe it is impossible. Beauty unusual! Brown eyes of beauty, and a heavenly glory surpassing everything.

She went down to the ground and stopped between the clouds and the ground. The Heavenly Queen holds the white-blue Cover in slowly - majestic movement.

The Allholy Virgin said, that it is necessary to paint an icon which appeared  on the hands Mother of God.

Above the Mother of God the Lord was blessing, at the left St Serafim of Sarov, on the right the Hierarch Nicholas the wonderworker. The Theotokos said the icon according to the vision should be called, " the Resurrection of  Russia " and the feastday should be the 12th of December. There should be processions and prayer services and She will restore and bless russia and all people honoring it.

The icon was painted with the blessing of Elder Ieronimu by Natalia Kashevarova in Moscow and the advise of Olga and it was difficult to paint what Olga saw in her vision.

In CHRIST
« Last Edit: December 26, 2007, 06:28:54 PM by Christodoulos » Logged
Incognito777
Moderated
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: N/A

« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2014, 03:24:41 AM »

I constantly see the phrase: "Resurrection of Russia." What does this mean? Russia never went anywhere. Do they mean, resurrection of Christianity IN Russia? There's a difference.

Tags: Theotokos apparitions 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: