OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 21, 2014, 10:21:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Latest Buzz Here in Birmingham  (Read 1614 times) Average Rating: 0
FrChris
The Rodney Dangerfield of OC.net
Site Supporter
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Father Patrick, thank you for your help!

« on: May 26, 2007, 08:50:35 AM »

Folks here are all talking about this...that really is one BIG animal!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/boy-shoots-hog-said-to-dwarf-hogzilla/20070525195709990001

Boy Shoots Hog Said to Dwarf 'Hogzilla'

MONTGOMERY, Alabama (May 25) - Think hams as big as car tires.
An 11-year-old boy used a pistol to kill a wild hog his father says weighed a staggering 1,051 pounds and measured 9 feet 4, from the tip of its snout to the base of its tail.

If the claims are accurate, Jamison Stone's trophy boar would be bigger than Hogzilla, the famed wild hog that grew to seemingly mythical proportions after being killed in south Georgia in 2004.

Hogzilla originally was thought to weigh 1,000 pounds and measure 12 feet long. National Geographic experts who unearthed its remains believe the animal actually weighed about 800 pounds and was 8 feet long.

Regardless of the comparison, Jamison is reveling in the attention over his pig.

"It feels really good," Jamison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."

Jamison, who killed his first deer at age 5, was hunting with father Mike Stone and two guides in east Alabama on May 3. He said he shot the huge animal eight times with a .50-caliber revolver and chased it for three hours through hilly woods before finishing it off with a point-blank shot.
Through it all, there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation for doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast, with 5-inch tusks, decided to charge.

Trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

Through it all, there was the fear that the animal would turn and charge them, as wild boars have a reputation for doing.

"I was a little bit scared, a little bit excited," said Jamison.

His father said that, just to be extra safe, he and the guides had high-powered rifles aimed and ready to fire in case the beast, with 5-inch tusks, decided to charge.

Trees had to be cut down and a backhoe brought in to bring Jamison's prize out of the woods.

It was hauled on a truck to the Clay County Farmers Exchange, where Jeff Kinder said they used his scale, recently calibrated, to weigh the hog.

Mike Stone said the scale balanced one notch past the 1,050-pound mark.

"It probably weighed 1,060 pounds. We were just afraid to change it once the story was out," he said.

The hog's head is being mounted by Jerry Cunningham of Jerry's Taxidermy. Cunningham said the animal measured 54 inches around the head, 74 inches around the shoulders and 11 inches from the eyes to the end of its snout.

"It's huge," he said. "It's just the biggest thing I've ever seen."

Mike Stone is having sausage made from the rest of the animal. "We'll probably get 500 to 700 pounds," he said.

Jamison, meanwhile, has been offered a small part in "The Legend of Hogzilla," a small-time horror flick based on the tale of the Georgia boar. The movie is holding casting calls with plans to begin filming in Georgia.

"As the sparrow flees from a hawk, so the man seeking humility flees from an argument". St John Climacus
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 09:23:30 AM »

While I am not opposed to hunting for food, the fact that this kid ran around chasing the pig for 3 hours shooting it until it finally died really ticks me off.

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Sarah

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 10:15:24 AM »

Saw the picture and the article in today's paper.  WOW!
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 10:50:27 AM »

Oh no.
No, no, no, no, no, no.
That poor creature of God, targeted just because it's big.
And to add to the insult, to actually mount it's head and hang it on a wall?

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 12:07:56 PM »

While I am not opposed to hunting for food, the fact that this kid ran around chasing the pig for 3 hours shooting it until it finally died really ticks me off.

Ummm, the way I read the article is that the animal was wounded and ran away. The boy was doing the responsible thing as a hunter and not leaving a wounded animal to die slowly from the shots.  He wasn't chasing it around for fun or to harass it.  You never leave a wounded animal to suffer, if it is humanly possible to follow it and find it. 

I have to wonder also, if the group wasn't specifically *looking* for that hog, but came upon it by chance.  As the article says, wild hogs can be agressive in their own right and it might not have taken kindly to humans in its woods. 

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2007, 12:29:47 PM »

Ummm, the way I read the article is that the animal was wounded and ran away. The boy was doing the responsible thing as a hunter and not leaving a wounded animal to die slowly from the shots.  He wasn't chasing it around for fun or to harass it.  You never leave a wounded animal to suffer, if it is humanly possible to follow it and find it. 

3 hours to die is a slow and painful death.  And I didn't get the impression that he was chasing it for fun; I got the impression that he was too inexperienced to get the thing quickly and efficiently. Too bad this pig had to be his training exercise. The two other hunters were there with high powered rifles "in case the animal charged" and they could have said after 30 min, 45 min, an hour, "Hey, this isn't working, this pig has been shot x amount of times and is in a lot of pain, but you aren't able to kill it, so time to put it out of its misery.

If I don't understand how hunting works, and this is actually normal procedure, then perhaps hunting should be banned or restricted.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 12:45:19 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Check out my personal website with 130+ articles: www.anastasioshudson.com

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2007, 01:35:02 PM »

Hogs/pigs have a very different body tissue(fat)-vein system than regular game animals such as deer, elk etc.

Hand gun hunting needs to be performed at 50 yards or less, I'm very surprized that a youngster was using a big caliber handgun, the only ones I can shoot accurately are the 45 Long Colt and the 357magnum.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 01:43:40 PM »

3 hours to die is a slow and painful death.  And I didn't get the impression that he was chasing it for fun; I got the impression that he was too inexperienced to get the thing quickly and efficiently. Too bad this pig had to be his training exercise. The two other hunters were there with high powered rifles "in case the animal charged" and they could have said after 30 min, 45 min, an hour, "Hey, this isn't working, this pig has been shot x amount of times and is in a lot of pain, but you aren't able to kill it, so time to put it out of its misery.

If I don't understand how hunting works, and this is actually normal procedure, then perhaps hunting should be banned or restricted.

Anastasios

It isn't "normal procedure". But animals don't just stand there and hold still for a clean shot.  I wasn't there, of course, but it reads like the pig ran away and kept going.  They were spending the time tracking though the territory so that they could put it out of it's misery.  In close in woods and rough land it can be hard to get a clear shot, which may be part of it.  That said, if there was a chance for one of the adults to have gotten a shot, it would have been better, but they might not have found the hog for three hours if it was so strong that it just kept going.

A good hunter tries their best for a clean shot and a quick kill.  But that isn't always what happens.  When the animal is wounded, the human has a responsibility to finish it and tracking through forest and mountains can take time.  

There are still people for whom a deer or two means meat for the winter in some places.  And hunting is "restricted" in that it is licensed, and there are limits on what can be taken, at least in Montana.   Smiley

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2007, 01:44:38 PM »

Hogs/pigs have a very different body tissue(fat)-vein system than regular game animals such as deer, elk etc.

Hand gun hunting needs to be performed at 50 yards or less, I'm very surprized that a youngster was using a big caliber handgun, the only ones I can shoot accurately are the 45 Long Colt and the 357magnum.

james

I was surprised at that, too.  He might be a big kid, but still surprising.

Ebor

Jakub
Archon

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2007, 03:32:43 PM »

Where's Jack Bauer when you need him ? Probably at 2nd lunch...

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2007, 04:30:06 PM »

The meat is going to taste foul, the adrenaline that is produced by the slow death actually alters the taste of the meat. I have had venison that is killed with a clean shot to the head and ones that are not and you can taste the difference. Same thing with slaughtered Bison as opposed to hunted Bison.

Joseph
Starlight
Site Supporter
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christianity
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of USA (Ecumenical Patriarchate)

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2007, 05:13:26 PM »

I also not oppose hunting for food. I am a trained officer and do not belong to PETA.
I agree with wise and reasonable concerns above. Yesterday, this story was featured on some national web pages for some news channels. What also makes it to look and sound problematic:

killed his first deer at age 5 

"It feels really good," Jamison said in a telephone interview with The Associated Press. "It's a good accomplishment. I probably won't ever kill anything else that big."
May be this is just my mistake, but how I read the latter one:
"It feels really good after the killing. Of course, I will keep killing, but I am concerned that I will have little if any luck to kill something else that big".
Again, if that would be hunting for food, self-defence, property protection, etc. - that would be a different story. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: