Author Topic: Pope Francis Says Nyet to Married Priests in Amazon  (Read 472 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
  • Faith: agnostic
Pope Francis Says Nyet to Married Priests in Amazon
« on: February 12, 2020, 01:53:41 PM »
Pope Francis stops short of allowing married men to become priests in the Amazon

Pope Francis has stopped short of allowing the ordination of married men as priests in the Amazon, where there are severe shortages of clergy, calling instead for ordained ministers to come to the region and work alongside lay preachers.

His call came after bishops in the Amazon called on the Vatican to allow married men to be ordained as priests in the South American region, where the faithful can go months without a Mass.

Francis announced the decision in a lengthy document, titled "Beloved Amazon," containing his reflections about a three-week meeting of Amazonian bishops he presided over last fall...

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
Re: Pope Francis Says Nyet to Married Priests in Amazon
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:25:13 PM »
Good.  Celibacy is the discipline and the tradition of Roman Catholic priests.  It would be strange that they start allowing a married priesthood first for people in remote areas.  An even more important part is those in the Eastern parts of Roman Catholicism are not completely allowed to ordain married men.  That has been their tradition in the past, but it has been put off for a long time.  Although that may be changing it would not be a new thing such as married Latin-rite priests.

Online Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:16:18 PM »
An even more important part is those in the Eastern parts of Roman Catholicism are not completely allowed to ordain married men.  That has been their tradition in the past, but it has been put off for a long time.  Although that may be changing it would not be a new thing such as married Latin-rite priests.

Pope Francis abolished the ban on Eastern Catholic Churches ordaining married men in the Americas.  Only the Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankars maintain mandatory celibacy for priests.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 10:47:55 PM »
I've been celibate for 17 years and it's very lonely.

It's a spiritual gift, but most of us don't have what it takes to maintain it.

I'll probably never have sex again. For the rest of my life.

I don't know how that sounds like a good prospect.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Wandile

• Peter the Roman
  • Archon
  • Love God with All your heart and all your Soul
  • Faith: Catholic Church - Roman rite
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Pretoria
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2020, 10:17:40 AM »
Glory to God!
” Where there is no love, pour love in, and you will draw love out.”
- St John of the Cross

Venerable Benedict Daswa, Blessed Isidore Bakanja and St Charles Lwanga, martyrs, pray for us. Amen

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2020, 10:47:24 AM »
I'll probably never have sex again. For the rest of my life.

Your meaning might infer that Christ, the Theotokos, and John the Baptist all had bad prospects? We are not robbed of our full humanity in celibacy, which is an assumption that much of contemporary anthropology carries.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2020, 02:59:04 AM »
Thank you.

I don't think the saints had bad prospects. But I don't know about myself.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2020, 12:06:57 PM »
An even more important part is those in the Eastern parts of Roman Catholicism are not completely allowed to ordain married men.  That has been their tradition in the past, but it has been put off for a long time.  Although that may be changing it would not be a new thing such as married Latin-rite priests.

Pope Francis abolished the ban on Eastern Catholic Churches ordaining married men in the Americas.  Only the Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankars maintain mandatory celibacy for priests.

Why are  Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankars clergy not included?  has the tradition of a married clergy also been forbidden in their homeland?

Online Deacon Lance

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Byzantine Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archeparchy of Pittsburgh
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2020, 12:51:32 PM »

Why are  Syro-Malabars and Syro-Malankars clergy not included?  has the tradition of a married clergy also been forbidden in their homeland?

The Portuguese forced mandatory celibacy on the Syro-Malabars.  The Syro-Malankars voluntarily adopted it when the entered union with Rome.  Neither has sought to change it since Vatican II and both have surplus vocations inspite of it.
My cromulent posts embiggen this forum.

Offline youssef

• Elder
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 05:34:48 PM »
Good.  Celibacy is the discipline and the tradition of Roman Catholic priests.  It would be strange that they start allowing a married priesthood first for people in remote areas.  An even more important part is those in the Eastern parts of Roman Catholicism are not completely allowed to ordain married men.  That has been their tradition in the past, but it has been put off for a long time.  Although that may be changing it would not be a new thing such as married Latin-rite priests.

In the maronites church it is normal to ordained married priest. I think it is the same for all eastern catholics

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 01:58:05 AM »

In the maronites church it is normal to ordained married priest. I think it is the same for all eastern catholics

Yes, but for many decades in America there was a rule that married men could not be ordained to the priesthood due to a Roman Catholic canon law.  That has apparently been recently changed under the current pope.  Maronites could not have married priests in America only during that rule.