Author Topic: Multiple deaths as gunmen open fire in two mosques in New Zealand's Christchurch  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Ray1

• Elder
  • Faith: Anglican
"Police in the New Zealand city of Christchurch said that there are "multiple fatalities" after shootings in two mosques in the city center on Friday..."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/14/asia/christchurch-mosque-shooting-intl/index.html

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Lord have mercy.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Higher Criticism
  • Jurisdiction: Dutch
The manifesto speaks the language of many Catholic or orthodox  traditionalists . It  demands Turks to give Constantinople back to Christians . It quotes Pooe Urban II.
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline FinnJames

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Finland
Surprising that this happened in New Zealand, which by all accounts has a model integration program for refugees and 'migrants'.

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
Surprising that this happened in New Zealand, which by all accounts has a model integration program for refugees and 'migrants'.

There are xenophobic extremists everywhere. And at least one of the attackers was imported from Australia.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Online Eamonomae

• Elder
  • Faith: Inquirer
  • Jurisdiction: Unavailable
Kyrie Eleison

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Midwest
The manifesto speaks the language of many Catholic or orthodox  traditionalists . It  demands Turks to give Constantinople back to Christians . It quotes Pooe Urban II.

The man was a pagan, and from watching the video, he is a calculating psychopath. He had zero empathy.

He wasnt a Christian though. He bought into Nordic paganism and the white nationalist agenda.

He is a horrible man

Offline Ray1

• Elder

I believe it is time for the world to take those Trad Roman Catholics seriously. Time to put them under the microscope, time to call them for what they are.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:13:00 PM by Ray1 »

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

I believe it is time for the world to take those Trad Roman Catholics seriously. Time to put them under the microscope, time to call them for what they are.

And what is that?

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches

And what is that?
have you readd the manifesto ? It’s full of 4chan in-jokes , hints,  right wing  (removed - Mor) tropes, cultural Christianity stuff, . It does have some overlap with the traditionalist Christian camps.
The guy didn’t believe the metaphysics or at least he isn’t saying that clearly, but he does love “Christian culture/civilization  “.
Then on the weapons there were inter alios names of Serbian nationalists and Romanian Orthodox princes that fought against the Turks.

Edited to remove profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:11:32 PM by Mor Ephrem »
"I saw a miracle where 2 people entered church one by baptism and one by chrismation. On pictures the one received by full baptism was shinning in light the one by chrismation no."

Offline Rubricnigel

• High Elder
  • Vini vidi vici

And what is that?
have you readd the manifesto ? It’s full of 4chan in-jokes , hints,  right wing  (removed - Mor) tropes, cultural Christianity stuff, . It does have some overlap with the traditionalist Christian camps.
The guy didn’t believe the metaphysics or at least he isn’t saying that clearly, but he does love “Christian culture/civilization  “.
Then on the weapons there were inter alios names of Serbian nationalists and Romanian Orthodox princes that fought against the Turks.

He was a pagan though. He wasnt a Christian.

He is a nuttjob, whose soul mission was to start a race war.

I don't think that has any similarities with catholicism.

Edited to remove profanity from quote.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 11:12:20 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Bob2

• High Elder

LOLs

Their multiparty proportional system gives every loony a voice.

NZ First, though still a minority party, has been a part of ruling coalitions on both the right and the left, and runs primarily on a "Keep the Asians out" platform, even though their leader Winston Peters is Maori.

I lived in Christchurch for a bit, I remember a bunch kids aged about 10-12 telling about there were just way too many Asians there, "Have you been to the market?" and in the next breath tell me that racism is just the mean things Americans did to black people.

It's a lovely place, and people are generally much more laid back there. I probably wouldn't have returned to the US if a wasn't already dating my wife.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic

People who prefer a real Mass? 
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Online Eamonomae

• Elder

Yeah, cause no Orthodox has ever done something irrationally against the Teachings of Christ in the name of Tradition.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

Yeah, cause no Orthodox has ever done something irrationally against the Teachings of Christ in the name of Tradition.

He's Anglican. 

Online Eamonomae

• Elder

He's Anglican.

Offline Katechon

• Faith: Orthodox Catechumen

Is this influx of boomers a recent phenomenon or has it always been the case?

Offline PorphyriosK

• Elder

And what is that?

Edited to remove profanity.  Mor Ephrem, section moderator.

From what I understand, his whole heinous act was an attempt to spark an American Civil war as well as a cultural/racial war.  His manifesto is a calculated attempt to confuse and troll multiple groups and intensify the hate and division that's already going on.  Trying to pit people against each other.  The whole thing sounds like Charles Manson 2.0.

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Ray1

• Elder

No, but as religious extremists who romanticize violence and religious wars.

Offline Katechon

Okay boomer

Offline Ray1

• Elder

Okay boomer

Boomer? I'm a millennial. Please stop embarrassing yourself. You think opposition to white nationalists, and religious extremists are Baby Boomers trend? If that's what you think, then you're in for a big surprise. Young Christians may be more into the traditional liturgy, but that is it. And outside of your church and mine, the young are mostly unaffiliated, so if you look at the big picture, it is much more likely that the future will not be so kind to religious extremism, nor should it be.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:32:14 PM by Ray1 »

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
In my experience, most of the really extreme Rad Trad types are in their late 20s. Though this guy in particular seems like more of an Evola "mystical heart of the West" type. Ie. not a Christian in any significant sense even if he likes to parrot Christian language when it suits him.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:43:13 PM by Volnutt »

Offline augustin717

• Taxiarches
In my experience, most of the really extreme Rad Trad types are in their late 20s. Though this guy in particular seems like more of an Evola "mystical heart of the West" type. Ie. not a Christian in any significant sense even if he likes to parrot Christian language when it suits him.
you are exactly right yet don’t you notice how most extreme political Christianity types are either themselves of that type or parrot those lines even when practicing Christians themselves. They have a god, both types practicing believers and atheists, and it aint Christ but “the western civilization “.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:50:55 PM by augustin717 »

Offline Ray1

• Elder

No true Christian would do what he did or support it. I dare to say a large number of white nationalists are some pagans who use Christianity as a tool to defend certain cultural elements. And there are young trads who hold extreme religious views for sure and may even go as far as support violent actions, but they are looked upon as extremists and will be treated as such by the general public.

Offline Ray1

• Elder
They have a god, both types practicing believers and atheists, and it aint Christ but “the western civilization “.

+ 10000 to
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:00:11 PM by Ray1 »

Offline PorphyriosK

• Elder
you are exactly right yet don’t you notice how most extreme political Christianity types are either themselves of that type or parrot those lines even when practicing Christians themselves. They have a god, both types practicing believers and atheists, and it aint Christ but “the western civilization “.

Yes, like they are attracted to the Crusaders and Knights Templar imagery.

Offline Katechon

Boomer? I'm a millennial. Please stop embarrassing yourself. You think opposition to white nationalists, and religious extremists are Baby Boomers trend? If that's what you think, then you're in for a big surprise. Young Christians may be more into the traditional liturgy, but that is it. And outside of your church and mine, the young are mostly unaffiliated, so if you look at the big picture, it is much more likely that the future will not be so kind to religious extremism, nor should it be.

Good luck getting your children injected with hormones pal

Offline Ray1

• Elder

Good luck getting your children injected with hormones pal

Thanks, you're so sweet.  ;D

Online Eamonomae

• Elder
They have a god, both types practicing believers and atheists, and it aint Christ but “the western civilization “.

+ 10000 to

Ironically, I think Western Civilization is your god, cause it dictates your own moral and theological beliefs, including standing on the graves of the innocent to promote your own political and theological worldview - something of a common practice for mainstream media hosts.

I would like to ask who turned this thread into a political debate?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 07:48:19 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Ray1

• Elder

+ 10000 to

Ironically, I think Western Civilization is your god, cause it dictates your own moral and theological beliefs, including standing on the graves of the innocent to promote your own political and theological worldview - something of a common practice for mainstream media hosts.

I would like to ask who turned this thread into a political debate?

Where is the politics? Since when is talking about religious extremism and white nationalism something reserved for politics?

Western civilization is not my god. I follow some of its principles, I enjoy and celebrate the good it brought, but at the same time, I acknowledge the evil was committed in its name which still haunts us today. And what dictates my theology and morals is Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, thank you very much.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:16:21 PM by Ray1 »

Online Eamonomae

• Elder
Stop playing ignorance.

What you are intentionally doing is conflating this tragic event with “extreme” Christian values (a term used by your own subjective standards with a clear goal of denouncing certain political ideology) and “certain cultural elements” (again, subjective) in order to paint the world in a broad stroke as “good-guy modernist” and “Muslim-killing orthodox.”

Which is disgusting, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Hitler did the same thing with the Reichstag burning.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:31:05 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline PorphyriosK

• Elder
It seems to me there is some miscommunication or misunderstanding going on here.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 08:43:59 PM by PorphyriosK »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

That’s insane.  Obviously you’ve never gone to a Latin Mass or gotten to know members of Latin Mass communities. 

Offline Ray1

• Elder
Stop playing ignorance.

What you are intentionally doing is conflating this tragic event with “extreme” Christian values (a term used by your own subjective standards with a clear goal of denouncing certain political ideology) and “certain cultural elements” (again, subjective) in order to paint the world in a broad stroke as “good-guy modernist” and “Muslim-killing orthodox.”

Which is disgusting, and you ought to be ashamed of yourself. Hitler did the same thing with the Reichstag burning.

Do you want us to ignore the root of the problem and pretend that what took place has nothing to do with the Islamophobia and xenophobia that keeps on coming out from the mouths some trad Roman Catholics? What do you want us to do? Shrug our shoulders and not talk about what really happened and why? Nice try.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:29:00 PM by Ray1 »

Offline Ray1

• Elder

That’s insane.  Obviously you’ve never gone to a Latin Mass or gotten to know members of Latin Mass communities.

Do you I need to know Fascists, Nazis, and fundamentalist Islamists to judge their ideology? And the issue is not the Latin Mass, the issue is the entire Trad RC ideology that is driven by long for the past and the rejection of everything that doesn't subscribe to their extremist interpretation of Roman Catholicism. Have you ever visited the Church Militant website? Did you read their articles?

Online Eamonomae

• Elder
Stop playing ignorance.

Do you want us to ignore the root of the problem and pretend that what took place has nothing to do with the Islamophobia and xenophobia that keeps on coming out from the mouths some trad Roman Catholics? What do you want us to do? Shrug our shoulders and not talk about what really happened and why? Nice try.

What trad Catholic organization has advocated shooting up Mosques, or even supports the man that did this? As nuts as Most Holy Family Monastery is, have they even supported this man?

Following your logic, why don’t we ban the Quran, considering that some radical Muslims use it to commit terrorist attacks? Why don’t we ban the New Testament because some verses can be interpreted as anti-Semitic? Why don’t we ban the Old Testament, considering that it advocates stoning adultresses and xenophobia? Why don’t we ban Marx, considering it has been used to create horrible regimes like North Korea and Cuba, and it advocates violence? Why don’t we ban Adam Smith, because his works have been used to justify exploitation of the working class? Why don’t we ban Darwin, cause his works have been used to justify Eugenics and Social Darwinism?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:38:55 PM by Eamonomae »

Online Eamonomae

• Elder

Do you I need to know Fascists, Nazis, and fundamentalist Islamists to judge their ideology? And the issue is not the Latin Mass, the issue is the entire Trad RC ideology that is driven by long for the past and the rejection of everything that doesn't subscribe to their extremist interpretation of Roman Catholicism. Have you ever visited the Church Militant website? Did you read their articles?

I have. They don’t advocate shooting up mosques. And neither did the Roman Catholic Church back then.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:46:35 PM by Eamonomae »

Offline Ray1

• Elder
Stop playing ignorance.

What trad Catholic organization has advocated shooting up Mosques, or even supports the man that did this?

Following your logic, why don’t we ban the Quran, considering that some radical Muslims use it to commit terrorist attacks? Why don’t we ban the New Testament because some verses can be interpreted as anti-Semitic? Why don’t we ban the Old Testament, considering that it advocates stoning adultresses and xenophobia? Why don’t we ban Marx, considering it has been used to create horrible regimes like North Korea and Cuba, and it advocates violence? Why don’t we ban Adam Smith, because his works have been used to justify exploitation of the working class? Why don’t we ban Darwin, cause his works have been used to justify Eugenics and Social Darwinism?

Nowhere did I say ban them from expressing their views and practicing their faith peacefully. But that doesn't mean we blind our eyes to the fact that they are extremists with certain agenda and hate towards those who don't agree with them.

I just visited Church Militant website and not one article mentions what took place in NZ. I wonder why.

Offline Ray1

• Elder

I have. They don’t advocate shooting up mosques.

They don't have to advocate it. Even some Nazis today dare to claim they don't advocate for violence, doesn't mean I should buy it. 

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos

Do you I need to know Fascists, Nazis, and fundamentalist Islamists to judge their ideology?

You don't need to know them, you sound like them.

And the issue is not the Latin Mass, the issue is the entire Trad RC ideology that is driven by long for the past and the rejection of everything that doesn't subscribe to their extremist interpretation of Roman Catholicism.

1960 is extreme Roman Catholicism?  I guess compared to the “believe what you want unless it conflicts with our social justice ideas” version  that prevails  in many places, it can look extreme.

Have you ever visited the Church Militant website? Did you read their articles?

Yes.  Which do you have in mind?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:49:19 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
Stop playing ignorance.

What trad Catholic organization has advocated shooting up Mosques, or even supports the man that did this?

Nowhere did I say ban them from expressing their views and practicing their faith peacefully. But that doesn't mean we blind our eyes to the fact that they are extremists with certain agenda and hate towards those who don't agree with them.

I just visited Church Militant website and not one article mentions what took place in NZ. I wonder why.

This is stupid.  My parish website says nothing about NZ.  Neither does Pornhub.  I guess the Malankara Orthodox Church and horny people support shooting up mosques.

Online Eamonomae

• Elder

I have. They don’t advocate shooting up mosques.

They don't have to advocate it. Even some Nazis today dare to claim they don't advocate for violence, doesn't mean I should buy it.

That’s a ridiculous parallel - you make Joseph McCarthy look sane.

Go to a Traditional Catholic Monastery - the monks there have a view of Islam that’s in line with Church Militant. Do any of them want to shoot up Mosques or Crusade against Muslim lands?

The equivocation fallacy is what makes your post insane, and I think that you are extremely cognitively inflexible such that you have to see the world as blacks and whites.

Why don’t you go join a violent Socialist Revolutionary Cause? They want to end religious bigotry!

Online Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

No true Christian would do what he did or support it. I dare to say a large number of white nationalists are some pagans who use Christianity as a tool to defend certain cultural elements. And there are young trads who hold extreme religious views for sure and may even go as far as support violent actions, but they are looked upon as extremists and will be treated as such by the general public.

I think the number of Trads who support violence are few and far between. The vast majority who advocate for a "return to Holy Byzantium/Russia/Europe" envisage it happening peacefully. Maybe that makes them susceptible to being used as dupes by the truly violent, but I think you could also say that about Leftists (or any movement, really), too.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
It is sad to see that there are people on OC.net who think that more traditionally- minded Catholics could silently approve of such atrocities.
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.