Author Topic: The ideal iconostasis  (Read 984 times)

Offline Justinian of Narnia

• Custodian of Cair Paravel; Knight of the Noble Order of the Table; Lord of the Lantern Wastes; Marshal of the Marshlands; Archon of Archenland; Earl of Ettinsmoor
  • I have come home at last! This is my real country.
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of NA
Re: The ideal iconostasis
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »
Thoughts on this arrangement?

Fail.

Explain.

Well, I have great respect for Justinian of Narnia, but that iconostasis, unless its in a carpatho-Rusyn/Ruthenian church, isn’t within the “parameters of perfection.”  But the photos are also kind of obscured and its a bit hard to see all the details, so I kind of am at a loss.

I appreciate your kind words. The church is essentially a pole barn. It is far from ideal, but for a small country church it is functional. The short doors are, from what I have been told, to allow the nave to see into the sanctuary. The hope is to build a temple soon more in keeping with tradition. Thank you all for your input.

I have to confess I couldn’t clearly make out the doors in the photo, but my eyes were inflamed when I looked at it.  It sounds like you have a lovely small parish.  I am blessed with very good eyesight but of late my mother and I have both had an unpleasant allergic reaction to a rosemary bush adjacent to our house, so if you could pray for us that would be much appreciated.

I will. I hope you recover quickly. Lord have mercy.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2019, 12:52:44 PM by Justinian of Narnia »
"Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it anymore, draw back a little and have a cup of tea" ~Elder Sophrony of Essex

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
Thoughts on this arrangement?

Fail.

Explain.

Well, I have great respect for Justinian of Narnia, but that iconostasis, unless its in a carpatho-Rusyn/Ruthenian church, isn’t within the “parameters of perfection.”  But the photos are also kind of obscured and its a bit hard to see all the details, so I kind of am at a loss.

I appreciate your kind words. The church is essentially a pole barn. It is far from ideal, but for a small country church it is functional. The short doors are, from what I have been told, to allow the nave to see into the sanctuary. The hope is to build a temple soon more in keeping with tradition. Thank you all for your input.

I have to confess I couldn’t clearly make out the doors in the photo, but my eyes were inflamed when I looked at it.  It sounds like you have a lovely small parish.  I am blessed with very good eyesight but of late my mother and I have both had an unpleasant allergic reaction to a rosemary bush adjacent to our house, so if you could pray for us that would be much appreciated.

I will. I hope you recover quickly. Lord have mercy.

Thank you.  God bless you my friend! :)

By the way, I am really enjoying this thread, and I would like to thank all members for their participation.  It is rare we get an interesting liturgical thread, and this thread strikes me as splendid.
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.

Offline Brilko

• Jurisdiction: ?
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2019, 07:13:46 PM »
That which I prefer and that which should be standard for all are often two different things. I’d probably balk at neon, though.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: TUOCOUIA
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2019, 07:20:31 PM »
That which I prefer and that which should be standard for all are often two different things. I’d probably balk at neon, though.

I kinda like a nice red neon "XB" above the Royal Doors for Pascha.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2019, 07:58:42 PM »

I could see concealed neon used for backlighting, but not a visible neon tube.  And especially not animated neon in the Old Las Vegas style!
“Moreover, Carthage must be destroyed.”
-Cato the Elder

“Sometimes reality is too complex for oral communication. But legend embodies it in a form which enables it to spread all over the world.”
- The computer Alpha 60, from the film Alphaville.