Author Topic: What Exactly Is Happening in Ukraine?  (Read 351 times)

Offline noahzarc1

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Diocese
What Exactly Is Happening in Ukraine?
« on: December 08, 2018, 10:30:56 AM »
I think this topic has caused so much division, but I was hoping in the early going of this thread, before it goes off the rails, someone could help me out here or help me understand a few things a little more.

I was informed last night our Priest has left our parish and has been accepted into ROCOR. I found this out only because I had some free time yesterday and contacted the secretary to see if I could get on his schedule to meet. When I didn't hear back until later in the evening from her, she sent me an email with a letter attached. In the letter it stated, "After 16 years as a priest in the Carpatho-Russian jurisdiction of the Ecumenical Patriarch, Father left the EP because of its illegal actions in the Ukraine and has officially been accepted into ROCOR by our ruling Bishop ...."

Can someone briefly describe to me what the Ecumenical Patriarch has done in the Ukraine?
Can someone briefly describe to me wha the current status of things are at the moment in the Ukraine?

I know there were a few other threads that tragically became just too hard to follow. I would only ask that brothers and sisters here please, if possible, refrain from personal attacks or not hijack the thread so that others can learn. I know this is a very emotional issue for many, and even to the point I see that it caused our Priest to take sides. However, I would really like to understand more on what is happening. 

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: What Exactly Is Happening in Ukraine?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 10:43:32 AM »
Based on Politics .. it looks like the Ukrainians and Russians are in a territorial dispute. 

Such as the autocephalous Ukrainian Church is called into question by the Moscow Russian Church. 

(just an example)
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
I’m sorry your parish is going through this. While I disagree with the EP’s actions in Ukraine, I don’t think it is sufficient reason for priests to jump ship.

Briefly- there are currently three orthodox bodies in Ukraine: 1 The Ukrainian Orthodox Church, an autonomous church under the Moscow Patriarchate; 2. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kyiv Patriarchate);3. the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church. 2 and 3 are nationalist churches created in the 20th century and claiming autocephaly. Until a few months ago, all canonical churches, including the EP, recognized the UOC (#1) as the legitimate church in Ukraine.

This year, Ukrainian President Poroshenko went to Istanbul to ask Patriarch Bartholomew to recognize an autocephalous church in Ukraine. This is not the first time the question had been brought to the EP but previously the answer was no. This time the EP accepted the request over the protests of the Moscow Patriarchate. The EP is claiming to have never relinquished jurisdiction over Ukraine and also to be able to revoke autocephaly from any church unless it was approved by an Ecumenical council.

The EP has gone ahead and recognized the bishops and clergy of the UOC-KP and UAOC. Moscow responded by breaking communion with the EP.

On December 15th there will be a unifying Synod in Kyiv and bishops from all three bodies are invited to decide on the primate of the new church. Based on documents that have surfaced the new church will be called autocephalous but will actually be more like an autonomous church belonging to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

The Synod of the UOC met and forbade any bishops or clergy from attending the unifying  Synod. A few may go regardless but the council will be dominated by the UOC-KP since the UAOC is much smaller.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
^+1, except I think it is sufficient reason to "jump ship".  If a priest can't, in good conscience, obey/commemorate his bishop, something's got to give.  Fr. Nectarios is a good man and priest;  his decision wasn't light and painless for himself or his parish.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 11:35:29 AM »
Can you be Orthodox that goes to any church? ...
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 11:38:20 AM »
^+1, except I think it is sufficient reason to "jump ship".  If a priest can't, in good conscience, obey/commemorate his bishop, something's got to give.  Fr. Nectarios is a good man and priest;  his decision wasn't light and painless for himself or his parish.
You've seen the letter apparently? I tried to leave names out, but obviously you know him or the situation.

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 11:41:06 AM »
I’m sorry your parish is going through this. While I disagree with the EP’s actions in Ukraine, I don’t think it is sufficient reason for priests to jump ship.

Briefly- there are currently three orthodox bodies in Ukraine: 1 The Ukrainian Orthodox Church, an autonomous church under the Moscow Patriarchate; 2. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Kyiv Patriarchate);3. the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church. 2 and 3 are nationalist churches created in the 20th century and claiming autocephaly. Until a few months ago, all canonical churches, including the EP, recognized the UOC (#1) as the legitimate church in Ukraine.

This year, Ukrainian President Poroshenko went to Istanbul to ask Patriarch Bartholomew to recognize an autocephalous church in Ukraine. This is not the first time the question had been brought to the EP but previously the answer was no. This time the EP accepted the request over the protests of the Moscow Patriarchate. The EP is claiming to have never relinquished jurisdiction over Ukraine and also to be able to revoke autocephaly from any church unless it was approved by an Ecumenical council.

The EP has gone ahead and recognized the bishops and clergy of the UOC-KP and UAOC. Moscow responded by breaking communion with the EP.

On December 15th there will be a unifying Synod in Kyiv and bishops from all three bodies are invited to decide on the primate of the new church. Based on documents that have surfaced the new church will be called autocephalous but will actually be more like an autonomous church belonging to the Ecumenical Patriarchate.

The Synod of the UOC met and forbade any bishops or clergy from attending the unifying  Synod. A few may go regardless but the council will be dominated by the UOC-KP since the UAOC is much smaller.

Very helpful information. Thank you. So basically there would (or will be) two competing jurisdictions in Ukraine? They don't seem to have this kind of conflict (the UP and Russia) over how things are in the U.S. Why so much concern like this in the Ukraine? Is it Ukraine's geographical location to Russia?

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 12:27:18 PM »
You've seen the letter apparently? I tried to leave names out, but obviously you know him or the situation.

I know him, but the letter is also out in the orthosphere.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 12:30:06 PM »
The Moscow Patriarchate considers Ukraine to be its territory and until recently the EP and everyone else agreed in that. Intruding on another church’s territory is a basic canonical no-no. The North American situation, while far from ideal, is different because there was no consensus as to whether it was anyone’s territory.

Also, the EP is not only setting up a parallel jurisdiction but stated in its letter to Met. Onuphry that it would consider him a trespasser after the 15th.
Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 12:46:00 PM »
The Moscow Patriarchate considers Ukraine to be its territory and until recently the EP and everyone else agreed in that. Intruding on another church’s territory is a basic canonical no-no. The North American situation, while far from ideal, is different because there was no consensus as to whether it was anyone’s territory.

Also, the EP is not only setting up a parallel jurisdiction but stated in its letter to Met. Onuphry that it would consider him a trespasser after the 15th.

Is there a link to that letter?

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »

https://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/73808/

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2018, 01:21:43 PM »

St. Basil's Cathedral?

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2018, 01:25:02 PM »

https://risu.org.ua/en/index/all_news/confessional/orthodox_relations/73808/

Thanks.

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2018, 03:50:18 PM »
It seems to me the laity always gets stuck in the middle of crisis like this one.

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2018, 03:51:40 PM »

I know him, but the letter is also out in the orthosphere.
I had a lot of conversations with him in the last three years, to include just 2 weeks ago. This one, I did not see coming until, well, last night.

I had to google orthosphere. I was not quite sure what that was. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 03:54:48 PM by noahzarc1 »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2018, 04:10:40 PM »

What about travel or exploration navigating

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline Justin Kolodziej

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Met. of Atlanta
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 04:17:59 PM »
Lord have mercy! :(

Can someone be found for Liturgy tomorrow?
Quote from: Michael, Pope of Rome
We should fortify ourselves with the truths of the Faith. Our main focus should be to become saints. Unfortunately some spend much of their time in either trying to sort things out or what is worse, trying to convince the world that they are right. If we all aim at sanctifying ourselves, God will intervene and He will straighten things out. We cannot do it without Him.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 04:26:18 PM »
I'm ready to be a church attendee

Formula of Concord 1577

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 04:39:11 PM »
I would advise to wait until next Sunday: that is after the Unity Sobor. 

In the meantime concentrate on your prayer life.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 04:42:49 PM »

Why would someone wait on going to church in Texas until something happens in Ukraine?
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Lord have mercy! :(

Can someone be found for Liturgy tomorrow?
They have a visiting priest. It'll be interesting for sure

Offline noahzarc1

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:18 PM »

Why would someone wait on going to church in Texas until something happens in Ukraine?
Great point. Exactly. Why does my life have to or need to be disrupted because of what is going on in Ukraine? This is what I meant by the laity getting caught in the middle of these crisis. The EP creates a crisis in Ukraine and the laity in the U.S. suffer because their priest of 16 years leaves the church because he disagrees with what happens in Ukraine. And thus, the laity suffer.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 10:59:53 PM »
This thread needs a break.  Locked for a few days.

Mor Ephrem, moderator
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.