Author Topic: Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ...  (Read 745 times)

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
Re: Would you start a devotion to the Holy Trinity? ...
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 09:33:40 AM »
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline Gloria Tibi Trinitas

• Faith: Orthodox (Catechumen)
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 09:56:56 AM »
I know of an akathist to the Most Holy and Life-giving Trinity. It is found in Book of Akathists volume 1 by the Holy Trinity Monastery.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2018, 01:15:30 PM »
I know of an akathist to the Most Holy and Life-giving Trinity. It is found in Book of Akathists volume 1 by the Holy Trinity Monastery.

Dang, I thought I had that, but what I have is Volume 1 of Akathists, Canons, Services and Prayers, which is a book of Akathists, and it lacks that canon.  That said I think I have seen the akathist you mention elsewhere in my library.  Perhaps its in the Old Rite prayerbook or perhaps I have a recording of it being sung.
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2018, 01:45:20 PM »
Need to straighten out the older heresies associated with the Trinity and Christology
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2018, 06:19:51 PM »
Like what is Diophysite or Miaphysite? or who were the Manicheans or Sabellians? ..

Formula of Concord 1577

« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2018, 07:19:56 PM »
@Alpha60

Yeah, it isn't that. The book I'm talking about contains only Akathists. The Book of Akathists: To Our Saviour, the Mother of God and Various Saints Volume 1. The akathist to the Holy Trinity is the first service contained in the book.

@WPM the Akathist does cover some about Arius and the consubstantiality and unconfusedness of the three Persons, but it's more of a devotional hymn than a theological hymn. My priest says the best way to be catechized is to attend as many services on feast days as possible.  Perhaps reading the various hymns during the services of Pentecost may be more useful to learn Trinitarian theology than Akathists. The services on the Nativity and Holy Friday provide what the Church teaches on the hypostatic union and the humanity and Divinity of our Lord. But as far as polemics against other heresies like Sabellianism, reading the writings of the Fathers themselves is a better way to learn in detail.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:32:52 PM by Gloria Tibi Trinitas »

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 07:38:01 PM »
Or read the Bible in a year.

Formula of Concord 1577

« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 07:46:44 PM »
Or read the Bible in a year.

One will learn much about God's nature (omnipotent, omnipresent, etc) by doing this, but the scripture doesn't use much of the terminology the Church uses to describe the Trinitarian Mystery. In my opinion, it would be wiser (or at least easier for the layman) to learn what the Church directly says about the Trinity than to try to scan the scriptures and come up with the theology from scratch. It's simply too confusing to wrap the mind around to try and figure out what "hypostasis", "essence", and "principle" mean by reading a few Trinitarian verses without any theological technicalities to sort it out precisely. After all, that's why there were so many ancient debates about the meanings of words like "consubstantial" in the first place. The Holy Scripture teaches the truth of the Trinity in vague, but the Church developed Her Triadology over hundreds of years of the saints being inspired by the Holy Spirit to clarify the meaning of the Scripture.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 07:48:52 PM by Gloria Tibi Trinitas »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 09:00:04 PM »
I really wouldn't worry about how much of the Bible you can read in a year. It's how much you can understand.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.