Author Topic: Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?  (Read 1134 times)

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Where do Orthodox Singles Meet?
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2018, 10:35:16 AM »
St. Paul told a believing spouse they could have a good influence on an unbelieving spouse, didn't he?

Surely that does not only mean marrying an atheist.

And surely he did not magically foresee the splitting of the churches into many.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Freemason Homo Church Infiltrator
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2018, 11:03:22 AM »
St. Paul told a believing spouse they could have a good influence on an unbelieving spouse, didn't he?

And surely he did not magically foresee the splitting of the churches into many.

Wasn't that for people already married?

What did St. Paul mean when he wrote "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?"?
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:03:49 AM by hecma925 »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline jah777

• Archon
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2018, 11:23:03 AM »

Wasn't that for people already married?

Yes, this was said regarding a marriage where one party comes to faith after the marriage and the other party does not.  This should not be used by an Orthodox Christian to justify marrying a non-Orthodox.  Many people who are single and have never been married fantasize about marriage in terms of one's ideal relationship with a spouse without thinking of what qualities are important as a future parent to their children, should God provide children.  If a couple is not united by the same faith with a desire to raise children in that faith, what kind of family will this be?  If our faith is the most important thing to us, and it should be, why would we want to marry someone who doesn't share with us the most important thing?  Why would one want to marry someone knowing ahead of time that the family would not be able to do together the most important things - praying together, attending services together, going to Confession together, receiving Communion together, encouraging each other in fasting, etc.?  If the primary purpose of marriage for a couple to work together and support each other along the way of salvation, what help could be provided by a non-Orthodox person who does not even agree on what salvation means and how one attains salvation?   

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Munich and Freising
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2018, 11:35:03 AM »
The individual couple has no responsibility for the schism and cannot do anything about it.
An Orthodox-Catholic couple is unequally yoked in the sense that only one of the two belongs to the church in the fullest sense - or at all, do not want to enter that debate.
Imho, this unequal yoking thing comes in degrees: It is worse if your spouse is atheist compared to Orthodox.
Most of us typically would not call one another "unbelieving".
Sanctus Deus, Sanctus fortis, Sanctus immortalis, miserere nobis.

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Archon
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2018, 01:04:22 PM »
I agree it's more of a spectrum; I think two or three parallel conversations are developing here, and not everything everyone is saying necessarily applies to all subjects equally or in the same way.
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no clue, so there's that.

Offline maneki_neko

• Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:58 PM »
Why would one want to marry someone knowing ahead of time that the family would not be able to do together the most important things - praying together, attending services together, going to Confession together, receiving Communion together, encouraging each other in fasting, etc.?  If the primary purpose of marriage for a couple to work together and support each other along the way of salvation, what help could be provided by a non-Orthodox person who does not even agree on what salvation means and how one attains salvation?   
+1

I agree it's more of a spectrum; I think two or three parallel conversations are developing here, and not everything everyone is saying necessarily applies to all subjects equally or in the same way.

+1
主哀れめよ!

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Lutheran
  • Jurisdiction: Texas
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2018, 11:28:12 PM »
I would assume that most people marry for sex or money.
For questions about the history of the Lutheran faith see the Book of Concord available from Pastor's office.

Formula of Concord 1577

A restatement of some teachings in the Augsburg Confession over which Lutherans had become divided. The Solid Declaration is the unabridged version. The Epitome is an abridged version intended for congregations to study. Over 8,100 pastors and theologians signed it, as well as over 50 government leaders.

WELS/ELCA/LCMS Church Pastor's Word

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2018, 11:35:26 PM »
So, nobody else agrees with the Orthodox that the purpose of marriage is holiness, and St. Paul was essentially wrong when he said a believer can shine a light on an unbelieving spouse.

Okay. That leaves out pretty much everyone.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2018, 11:44:50 PM »
So, nobody else agrees with the Orthodox that the purpose of marriage is holiness, and St. Paul was essentially wrong when he said a believer can shine a light on an unbelieving spouse.

Sure, interpret it how you see fit.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #54 on: December 10, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
Another option is to find yourself a strong, handsome Catholic man and convert him. A friend of mine had this happen to him. He's hard at work raising little Orthodox babies now.

Is he still a Latinist?  If so, it didn't work.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #55 on: December 10, 2018, 03:35:13 AM »

Holiness? How about avoiding to burn with passion? Is it no longer a valid reason?  :P

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #56 on: December 10, 2018, 09:23:38 AM »

Holiness? How about avoiding to burn with passion? Is it no longer a valid reason?  :P

Did you read Biro's response above, #45?

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #57 on: December 10, 2018, 09:39:51 AM »

Did you read Biro's response above, #45?

Yes, but I did not quite get what he is trying to say. Sometimes, I have a hard time understanding Biro´s motivations.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »
I am a woman.

Offline platypus

• Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you or St. Paul on this.

Hecma can clarify if I'm understanding him wrong, but I think he was pointing out that Paul wanted Christians to marry fellow believers. When he spoke of shining a light on an unbelieving spouse, he did not mean that it would be a good idea to marry someone who does not share your religious beliefs. Instead, he was teaching that a spouse who had converted to Christianity should not leave their unbelieving (I would assume probably pagan or Jewish) spouse. Instead, they should remain married. He does mention, though that "if the unbelieving partner desires to separate, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound."
"Eternal truth finds no favorable soil where one encounters at every turn the skeptical, sarcastic query 'what is truth,' where life insurance takes the place of eternal hope." -Hieromonk Antonius

Vanity of vanities, saith the preacher; all is vanity. -Ecclesiastes 12:8

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #60 on: December 10, 2018, 03:52:54 PM »
Thank you.

Offline hecma925

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #61 on: December 10, 2018, 04:53:50 PM »

I don't think anyone here disagrees with you or St. Paul on this.

Hecma can clarify if I'm understanding him wrong, but I think he was pointing out that Paul wanted Christians to marry fellow believers. When he spoke of shining a light on an unbelieving spouse, he did not mean that it would be a good idea to marry someone who does not share your religious beliefs. Instead, he was teaching that a spouse who had converted to Christianity should not leave their unbelieving (I would assume probably pagan or Jewish) spouse. Instead, they should remain married. He does mention, though that "if the unbelieving partner desires to separate, let it be so; in such a case the brother or sister is not bound."

Precisely.

Offline Lepanto

• High Elder
« Reply #62 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:21 PM »